PDA

View Full Version : Third Base Solutions

The DARK
07-23-2011, 04:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6795962/scott-rolen-cincinnati-reds-limited-motion-left-shoulder

This article suggests that Rolen has been ailing for a while now. Given his poor performance so far this season and drop-off since the first half last season, I'm wondering if it's time to start looking at other options at 3rd base.

As of right now, with Rolen and Francisco on the DL, our main options at 3rd are Cairo and Frazier. Who would you give the most starting time? Should we look into trades to fill this hole, and if so, should it be for a prospect, a high-profile rental, or a decent long-term option?

Natty Redlocks
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I like Cairo but he's an established bench player for a reason. Let's at least see what Frazier can do.

BAKER12
07-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Trade for Aramis Ramirez, could be had cheapo, played his best ball for Dusty in Cub years and has been swinging bat well since bad April and May.

The DARK
07-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Trade for Aramis Ramirez, could be had cheapo, played his best ball for Dusty in Cub years and has been swinging bat well since bad April and May.

Interesting, but he's got a pretty expensive contract that could cut into our ability to resign Phillips, and he seems pretty inclined to veto a trade, especially to a rival team.

BAKER12
07-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I think he is around the end of the deal and would play for Dusty, no doubt. Have always thought he might be a good fit.

malcontent
07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm just relieved he could still make the AS Game.

:rolleyes:

At this point, I hand 3B to Frazier.

Here, kid, it's your's.

Vottomatic
07-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Just say no to Aramis Ramirez. His power has been sapped and he's expensive.

I wonder if Scott is pondering retirement based on his chronic back problems?

I like Cairo, but not as a starter. He has been an excellent pick up for this team, and an excellent utility player.

If Rolen retires, it's time to give Franciso and Frazier their shot.

Stray
07-23-2011, 07:56 PM
We lose a lot of defense with Scott out, but I agree we should give most of the starts to Frazier. Cairo is too good to sit on the bench for long, so I would think we would still give him plenty of starts, just not as many as Frazier.

The DARK
07-23-2011, 07:58 PM

I wonder if Scott is pondering retirement based on his chronic back problems?

I like Cairo, but not as a starter. He has been an excellent pick up for this team, and an excellent utility player.

If Rolen retires, it's time to give Franciso and Frazier their shot.

I do wonder about Scott. I still think he has a few years left in him (at the very least as a useful backup), but his regular starting days may be past him.

Francisco, though, is on the DL with a torn right meniscus. Don't think he'll be up in time to make a major difference at 3rd.

malcontent
07-23-2011, 10:16 PM
"I was beating my head against the wall, scratching and clawing to try to stay above .240"

I know it's the conventional wisdom to see the guy as a warrior.

The reality, unfortunately, is that he's been hurting the team by going out there at 50-60%. All the while knowing the clueless Baker would continue to hit him cleanup or close to it.

Cozart replacing Janish at SS was a no-brainer. It should have happened a month or two before Jocketty finally stumbled down from the mountain top with the epiphany.

Frazier replacing the shadow of Scott Rolen at 3B may not have been as obvious. But I think it should be by now.

kearns and dunn
07-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Do whatever we can to get Darnell Jenkins or Jedd Gyorko from San Diego. Preferably Gyorko...doubtful we get him, but hey, a man can dream right?

Natty Redlocks
07-23-2011, 11:01 PM
"I was beating my head against the wall, scratching and clawing to try to stay above .240"

I know it's the conventional wisdom to see the guy as a warrior.

The reality, unfortunately, is that he's been hurting the team by going out there at 50-60%. All the while knowing the clueless Baker would continue to hit him cleanup or close to it.

Cozart replacing Janish at SS was a no-brainer. It should have happened a month or two before Jocketty finally stumbled down from the mountain top with the epiphany.

Frazier replacing the shadow of Scott Rolen at 3B may not have been as obvious. But I think it should be by now.

Yeah. I'd like to see what he'd do in the two hole; he seems like the kind of guy who could reinvent himself if given the chance. Sort of like when the Cubs finally figured out that Kerry Wood couldn't stay healthy as a starter, but he's been a solid bullpen guy.

Krawhitham
07-24-2011, 12:20 AM

Aramis Ramirez claims he will not waive his no trade for ANY team, he wants to keep his family in Chicago

Krawhitham
07-24-2011, 12:22 AM

He is on pace for 29 HR