PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that management can't ever get rid of bad contracts?

takealeake
07-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I was looking forward to the day Cordero got out of this city, as his contract has been ridiculous and eating the team up, then what does management do? Sign Arroyo to a ridiculous contract we're on the hook another two years for! Then come deadline time when your team is sinking, there isn't room to add cap because of stupidity.

And think, all this is while we still have Votto locked up. By the time we get out from under all this, it may be too late. Here's to another 16 years of playoff-less baseball from an inept organization.

webbbj
07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
LOL

Roush's socks
07-24-2011, 08:04 PM
The Reds have done a good job since the Griffey disaster of not letting huge contracts ruin the team.

Vottomatic
07-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Arroyo has been pretty good and pretty consistent the last 4 years. He's one of the few starting pitchers we have that usually goes 6+ innings. He has had an off year probably due to Mono.

I'd cut him some slack and see if he finishes strong and what he's got next year.

brm7675
07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I was looking forward to the day Cordero got out of this city, as his contract has been ridiculous and eating the team up, then what does management do? Sign Arroyo to a ridiculous contract we're on the hook another two years for! Then come deadline time when your team is sinking, there isn't room to add cap because of stupidity.

And think, all this is while we still have Votto locked up. By the time we get out from under all this, it may be too late. Here's to another 16 years of playoff-less baseball from an inept organization.

How has Cordero's salary eaten this team up? Do you really think Bob won't spend money if Walt feels it will help the team? I mean he spent a ton in the offseason and on those extensions. You do know we offered Votto a very long term deal and it was Votto who said no, not the Reds.

takealeake
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
A small market team spending $12 mil on a closer is RIDICULOUS. And even more ridiculous for a guy as wonky as Cordero when you don't know when he will implode.

And there was an option on Arroyo. It's not like he would have suddenly put together a 2 ERA year to get a bigger contract in his option year than we gave him. That contract is the stupidest one we've given a starting pitcher since Eric Milton - and now he's pitching like him. If we just took the option and WAITED we wouldn't be on the hook for another $24 mil. Once again, idiotic management of the Reds. Now when we're trying to pull a deal, it's not like we have much room to work with.

Old NDN
07-27-2011, 11:16 AM
As bad as the Reds have been, prior to last year, they had to overpay to get/keep any viable talent. ie. Harang, Arroyo, Cordero, Milton, etc. I think they did fine on the Griffey deal... until he became brittle. Hopefully, those days are behind them. FWIW, I think the Bruce contract may come back to bite them.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
A small market team spending $12 mil on a closer is RIDICULOUS. And even more ridiculous for a guy as wonky as Cordero when you don't know when he will implode.

And there was an option on Arroyo. It's not like he would have suddenly put together a 2 ERA year to get a bigger contract in his option year than we gave him. That contract is the stupidest one we've given a starting pitcher since Eric Milton - and now he's pitching like him. If we just took the option and WAITED we wouldn't be on the hook for another $24 mil. Once again, idiotic management of the Reds. Now when we're trying to pull a deal, it's not like we have much room to work with.

This idea that this team is strapped by either of those contracts is laughable. Co-Co is paid on average what all very good closers are paid. As for Bronson, he eats innings, is a good leader to the younger pitchers and for the most part is a nice middle of the rotation guy to have.

Money is NOT the reason why Walt isn't doing something...

takealeake
07-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Saying Coco is paid an average amount and then categorizing him as a very good closer is the stupidest thing I've ever read and makes anything you ever say again the rest of your entire life completely irrelevant.

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Arroyo has been pretty good and pretty consistent the last 4 years. He's one of the few starting pitchers we have that usually goes 6+ innings. He has had an off year probably due to Mono.

I'd cut him some slack and see if he finishes strong and what he's got next year.

I agree. He'll be a big factor again next season, if healthy. But that's a BIG if.

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

You sure are short-sighted.

takealeake
07-27-2011, 09:17 PM
You sure are short-sighted.

Yup I'm short sighted, because it was a great bargain to sign a player after a good year, when anyone with logic knew he wasn't going to do any better than he already had. Yup, perfect philosophy - sign someone while they're at the absolute top of their value even though you have an OPTION to use - instead of seeing how the next season plays out. Hey shocker, another Arroyo start, another loss on the way. Great move Walt.

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Yup I'm short sighted, because it was a great bargain to sign a player after a good year, when anyone with logic knew he wasn't going to do any better than he already had. Yup, perfect philosophy - sign someone while they're at the absolute top of their value even though you have an OPTION to use - instead of seeing how the next season plays out. Hey shocker, another Arroyo start, another loss on the way. Great move Walt.

Arroyo had 1 good year?

takealeake
07-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Arroyo had 1 good year?

Well lets see, he's been signed to two big deals after his two best years with the club, even though he had time remaining to stay on the club. And he's had some horribad years during his tenure as well, and we know he can be rocked. I bet Walt's a great stock broker, he probably invested some money last week and is going to sell this Friday.

DocRed
07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Arroyo=most overpaid SP in baseball