PDA

View Full Version : Worst call ever...

Hillsdale87
07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
This beats the strike 3 on Votto against the Rays...

I'm not sure there's a worse way to lose than a guy being called safe on a play like this in the bottom of the 19th: http://yfrog.com/khss0caj

It's good for the Reds to see the Pirates lose, but I still hate to see a team go down like that.

PedroBourbon
07-27-2011, 11:10 AM
This call was worse (in terms of not even close) than that blown Tigers no hitter last year. The look on the catcher's face was priceless.

Captain13
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I can't find video of it, but I remember a playoff game about two years ago where two players were tagged out near third base and neither was called out. Does anyone else remember this?

ervinsm84
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I think #4 on this list is the worst ever.

‪Top 10 - Blown Calls‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9pbgIgwuls&feature=related)

SwingKing01
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Did anyone see Skip Bayless arguing that he couldn't tell if the guy was actually out? He is such a tool, I could not believe my eyes when the umpire called him safe.

CrosleyField
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Pretty Bad

Stray
07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
You just got the feeling that the umpire was tired and wanted the game to end. It sucks because there is a good chance that at the end of this year 1 game could easily decide the NL Central. That umpire should get a lot of heat from baseball, not sure if he will though, and he definitely should have no business working the postseason.

drowg14
07-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Did anyone see Skip Bayless arguing that he couldn't tell if the guy was actually out? He is such a tool, I could not believe my eyes when the umpire called him safe.

Skip Bayless is one of my least favorite people ever. He is a moron.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I think it was a bad call -- the ball is there WAY before the runner, and usually that means out -- but I've seen that replay a dozen times since last night, and it's still not crystal clear to me if a tag was actually made. I see what the ump was saying, even though he could have made life a lot easier on himself just by making the out call.

bounty37h
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
It helped the Reds (I guess?), but there is no reason that guy should have a job this morning-that was blatent "I don't give a *, lets just go home" call. I had one called like that in high school, not to end the game but ump was talking about wanting to go home all game long, making bad calls; I finally turned around and asked if his wifes tea was that good that he was blowing a game for it. He didnt reply. Next half inning I was batting-2 outs and get called 3'rd strike- not even close to zone. Our coach came out, told the ump to go to hell and pulled us off the field, pack bags, lets go home and forfeited under protest.

drowg14
07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I think it was a bad call -- the ball is there WAY before the runner, and usually that means out -- but I've seen that replay a dozen times since last night, and it's still not crystal clear to me if a tag was actually made. I see what the ump was saying, even though he could have made life a lot easier on himself just by making the out call.

Lugo's initial reaction shows that he knew he got tagged imho. It wasn't until after he realized he was called safe he started celebrating.

bounty37h
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM

He dragged his glove up his entire body, at least 3 feet of him got tagged out.

AintlifeGrande
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Worst call I have ever seen.

mlh1981
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Colin Cowherd said the same thing.

These guys are pure comedy. :laugh:

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
He dragged his glove up his entire body, at least 3 feet of him got tagged out.

There's no portion of that video that actually shows that.

Again, I think he was out. Lugo's reaction also suggests it, although it's possible he may be reacting to how far the ball was there ahead of him and not the actual sensation of being tagged. But I've seen probably a half dozen calls this season in games involving the Reds that were as bad or worse than that. This is just how we act in today's 24-hour news cycle. Outrage! Fire him!!! It was just a missed call. It happens every night in MLB, just not at the plate in a 19-inning game.

AintlifeGrande
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
There's no portion of that video that actually shows that.

Again, I think he was out. Lugo's reaction also suggests it, although it's possible he may be reacting to how far the ball was there ahead of him and not the actual sensation of being tagged. But I've seen probably a half dozen calls this season in games involving the Reds that were as bad or worse than that. This is just how we act in today's 24-hour news cycle. Outrage! Fire him!!! It was just a missed call. It happens every night in MLB, just not at the plate in a 19-inning game.

Tell that to the Pirates who are fighting for every win they can get this year.

AintlifeGrande
07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Umpires should be held accountable like any other job.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2011, 04:56 PM
[/B]

Tell that to the Pirates who are fighting for every win they can get this year.

Oh, I definitely sympathize with them. If it happens to your team, sure, you're upset.

wlf WV
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
I think #4 on this list is the worst ever.

‪Top 10 - Blown Calls‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9pbgIgwuls&feature=related)
Why? The consequences of number one,were more extreme,without question.

DocRed
07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
MLB umpires and Lawyers both deserve to share the same bus.........IMO.