PDA

View Full Version : 2 revelations...

will5979
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
1. I think nearly every Reds fan with any sense has come to the conclusion that the Reds are done this year.

2. This is the pill that is VERY tough for me to swallow and I didn't want to admit it, and there are some other Reds fans that will admit it but,

LAST YEAR WAS THE BIGGEST FLUKE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

I have been coming to that conclusion for about 2 months now but I think it took me until just now to admit it.

mroby85
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I agree on both counts. I just kept waiting for this team to go on their run. It's really frustrating because every time you think they might be starting to go on their run, like vs ATL this weekend with the walkoff on Sunday night, they without fail do something like losing 3 in a row to the Mets. This has been a very disappionting/frustrating season to say the least.

will5979
07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I agree on both counts. I just kept waiting for this team to go on their run. It's really frustrating because every time you think they might be starting to go on their run, like vs ATL this weekend with the walkoff on Sunday night, they without fail do something like losing 3 in a row to the Mets. This has been a very disappionting/frustrating season to say the least.

In my life the most disappointing seasons where you really the thought the Reds were going to do something were...

1989-The whole Rose incident on top of a horrible losing record
1991-What kind of follow up to a World Title was that?
2000-After getting KGJ what kind of follow up to 1999 was that?
And of course 2011...

Jefferson24
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
The best thing that could happen is for the Reds to just flop the rest of the season. This would create a scenario where Dusty and the rest of the coaching staff may get their ticket out of town. If a team goes from 20 games over to 10-15 games under, then I don't see how they can bring him back. This years team is basically the same team as last year with the exception of some injuries.

brm7675
07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
The best thing that could happen is for the Reds to just flop the rest of the season. This would create a scenario where Dusty and the rest of the coaching staff may get their ticket out of town. If a team goes from 20 games over to 10-15 games under, then I don't see how they can bring him back. This years team is basically the same team as last year with the exception of some injuries.

You don't fire the manager that led your team to the playoffs for the first time in over a decade....well that is what my friend keeps telling me....:lol:

Jefferson24
07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Not exactly sure how to look at it. In 2010 Votto went off, Arroyo pitched very well, Rolen played better than expected. 2011 rolls around and Votto comes down to earth, Arroyo falls way off, Rolen gives us little to nothing. I think those three shoulder much of the reason we did well in 2010 and the reason we are the not the same team in 2011. I know Votto is still having a good season and I'm not trying to say he isn't, but it is no 2010.

How much does Dusty have to do with things....some....enough to put his job in jeopardy. Dusty should be able to identify when players are under-preforming and do something to change that preformance. It could be giving some guys some much needed rest or creating some competition for the playing time at a particular position. Dusty also needs to be lobbying Walt for personal changes when his strategies don't work. I have seen little out of Dusty that would lead me to believe he has made in effort in any of these areas.

This crap about not playing Alonso really has me upset too. I think they know what they have in Heisey, its time to find out what they have in Alonso.

I honestly think this team would be more successful with a different coaching staff.

Moosie52
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
This year is the fluke, not last year.

R_Webb18
07-28-2011, 01:32 PM
lol @ ppl

TheBigLebowski
07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
If last year was the fluke and this year the expected output for this team, then Dusty Baker deserves every accolade he can receive for doing what he did with this group last season. If this year is the fluke and last year is representative of our true talent level and expected output, then he's a crummy manager. I tend to see things towards the latter end of the spectrum. I can't blame him for everything that's gone wrong but I can blame him for a lot of it.

BluegrassRedleg
07-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry, but teams don't win a division over 162 games on a "fluke."

I agree with some of what you said in your post, but you pretty much lost me with the caps-lock flip-out regarding 2010.