PDA

View Full Version : Reds focused on Bourn

mroby85
07-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Buster_ESPNBuster Olney
Rival executive: Reds focused on Michael Bourn, who would answer their desire to add a lead-off hitter for 2011 and beyond

There is already a thread about Bourn but I figured this deserved its own. Heyman from SI also said their asking price is "wildly high" for Bourn, and that the Reds aren't in on Pence whose asking price is even higher.

abish1572
07-30-2011, 12:32 AM
would be stupid to trade everything we have just for bourn

William
07-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Wouldn't be a bad move if we didn't have to giv up to much i'll take him in a heartbeat. Perhaps Yonder, Boxberger, and another low prospect.

The DARK
07-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Don't like the idea of trading for Bourn. He (or Stubbs) would lose value from playing in LF, it blocks a number of prospects, and his asking price will be too much for what he really is.

webbbj
07-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Wouldn't be a bad move if we didn't have to giv up to much i'll take him in a heartbeat. Perhaps Yonder, Boxberger, and another low prospect.

anyone else you wanna throw in there as well?

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 08:23 AM
The Reds being focused on Bourn doesn't make much sense to me...

I understand the need for a "legit" leadoff hitter, but I've never been that big of a fan of Bourn. Especially if the reports are true that the Astros are trying to "fleece" us for him.

Tuff Nut
07-30-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't understand this love fest that the Reds have with Bourn.....He is nothing special, is only signed thru next year,and IMHO, this organization already has their 'Bourn' in Sappelt. Seems we only have good prospects so they can waste away in AAA, while we throw money at players with nothing that helps this team going forward.

wlf WV
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
The only reason would be if the Astros wanted someone we needed to move and the trade favored us,but I don't see it.

mroby85
07-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I'll probably get crucified here for saying it, but I think Bourn would probably improve their team if he was in CF instead of Stubbs. He has a higher OBP, higher AVG, and strikes out less. While he has less power and less possible potential, he's more what you would want in a leadoff hitter. Also, I dont feel like Stubbs has progressed much since the time he was called up, he still has terrible AB's, and k's all the time, which is something he did even in college, and I just think its a legitimate possibility that will never change.

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
My problem with Stubbs (which accounts for a lot of his Ks) is that he is almost 100% a guess hitter.

You could even see it last night on his fly ball to the warning track. He was guessing fastball (I believe it was a fastball) and guessed right, but just barely missed it. The same thing happened with his walk off.

Now if he guesses fastball and it's off speed... forget about it. Where as if Votto is sitting fastball and it's off speed he can at least battle, foul it off, etc.

DocRed
07-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Bourn is better than Stubbs in almost every way. The only advantage Stubbs has is in power and strikeouts and Bourn is only under control through 2012.

R_Webb18
07-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Bourn is better than Stubbs in almost every way. The only advantage Stubbs has is in power and strikeouts and Bourn is only under control through 2012.

ppl can be resigned

Eric the Red
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
#Astros efforts to move Michael Bourn are picking up steam, source says. Appears more likely he'll move by deadline. #trades

Jerry Crasnick has been the reporter who has broke several Reds related scoops in the past (see: Chapman, Bruce extension.) I'm thinking his source is from the Reds camp and that a deal is getting close. The Astros apparently want young prospects, Rodriguez or Duran anyone?

double2gap
07-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Isn't Bourn a Scott Boras client? If he is, what are the chances he would resign with us anyway? Boras doesn't like his clients to resign, he'd rather they hit the free agent market.

R_Webb18
07-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Ken_RosenthalKen Rosenthal

Source: #Braves getting "more involved" on #Astros' Bourn. #tradedeadline #MLB

Eric the Red
07-30-2011, 04:04 PM
After missing out on Beltran and Pence, it appears Atlanta is putting the full court press on to acquire Bourn.

R_Webb18
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
• One exec who has been speaking with the Rockies and Reds suggests that if that swap happens, it could be a larger deal than just Homer Bailey, Travis Wood and high-end prospects for Jimenez. He said he believes the teams have discussed an expanded version that could include someone the likes of Seth Smith, because the Reds also have been targeting controllable bats.

this seems better

mu4103
07-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Bourn is a poor man's Drew Stubbs. The move makes no sense. Bourn is having a great year, but to be honest, I am not even sure he is an everyday MLB starter. I don't think he will be of much value past this year and would be a foolish move by the Reds.

Vottomatic
07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I will lose all faith in Walt if he trades for Bourn.

Tuff Nut
07-30-2011, 04:40 PM
I will lose all faith in Walt if he trades for Bourn.

+1

BluegrassRedleg
07-30-2011, 08:26 PM
would be stupid to trade everything we have just for bourn

Agree, but also very tempting to do something. This organization hasn't had a legitimate leadoff man since Bip Roberts. Blows the mind to think how long that's been.

sdwagers
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Agree, but also very tempting to do something. This organization hasn't had a legitimate leadoff man since Bip Roberts. Blows the mind to think how long that's been.

Mike Cameron did a pretty good job in 1999 before getting dealt to SEA. but I agree - the leadoff spot has been pretty sad.

The DARK
07-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Alonso alone is worth more than Bourn. Bourn is a free agent at the end of next year and is due for a raise. He brings to the table mediocre defense, amazing stealing ability, good OBP, and terrible power for LF, where he'll be starting. Not bad, but certainly not worth trading terribly much for. Alonso, meanwhile, is a polished hitter with good power that will be cheap and under team control for many years, and allow us to resign Phillips. Any package beyond Alonso for this guy is too much, IMO.

William
07-31-2011, 01:28 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/michael-bourn-rumors-friday.html

Not looking to promising

defender
07-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Reds are still doing well with attendance, and still have a chance at the playoffs. I am sure they will do something positive.

sammonator
07-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Braves get Bourn for 4 Minor Leaguers.

Vottomatic
07-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Phfew! Good. I didn't want him. I was afraid of this trade more than the others.

Stand pat unless we can get Matt Kemp or a frontline legit #1 starter. Both are extremely doubtful. So again, I say stand pat and address it in the offseason.

sammonator
07-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Good deal for Braves. They needed leadoff man. Gave up 9th best prospect and others.

Vottomatic
07-31-2011, 10:13 AM
I read that Bourn is a free agent after the season. Is that correct? If so........no thanks.

sdwagers
07-31-2011, 10:14 AM

CF Jordan Schafer, starters LHP Brett Oberholtzer (AA), RHP Paul Clemens (AA), RHP reliever Juan Abreu (AAA)

That's a lot for Bourn, IMHO. The Braves overpaid.

sammonator
07-31-2011, 10:15 AM
No he is signed for next year. Not sure about 13. Astros also sent cash to braves.

sdwagers
07-31-2011, 10:16 AM
I read that Bourn is a free agent after the season. Is that correct? If so........no thanks.

Bourn has one more year. He is a fifth year player I believe.

Tuff Nut
07-31-2011, 10:23 AM
All I got to say is, Thank God. IMO, Sappelt could do what Bourn woulda been asked to do, and could be here alot longer. This woulda been a latteral move at best, and we don't need latteral moves. We need one's that will improve the product.

Who Dey Time
07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Good. I didn't understand that fascination with Bourn. I understand the Reds wanting a true leadoff hitter but I didn't understand giving up good prospects for what amounts to be a year and a half rental at a relatively high price.

Stray
07-31-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm really glad we didn't make a move for him. Save our pieces and make a move in the offseason for a big bat/TOR pitcher.

Red Raindog
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
He is now a Brave