PDA

View Full Version : Getting eager

wvreds
07-30-2011, 02:19 PM
I know we still have until 4 o clock tomorrow but as more and more deals are getting done I have to hope Walt is close on something I just hope he does not stand pat but not give up the farm either ... I want a deal with a Ml player(s) not a Jonny Gomes deal

Stray
07-30-2011, 02:23 PM
I don't want Bourn or Upton. To be honest I'd rather we stuck with what we had and explore options in the off season about putting a good package together for a real upgrade.

I would think Ramon will be moved though, it makes little sense at this point to keep him. Sure he's good and we're not totally out of it (a faint pulse), but he's not gonna be here next year so we may as well try to get something for him.

Vottomatic
07-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't want Bourn or Upton. To be honest I'd rather we stuck with what we had and explore options in the off season about putting a good package together for a real upgrade.

I would think Ramon will be moved though, it makes little sense at this point to keep him. Sure he's good and we're not totally out of it (a faint pulse), but he's not gonna be here next year so we may as well try to get something for him.

Of the trades mentioned, trading Ramon is all I would do, too.

These guys are still young, and an upgrade in the offseason would do more, IMHO.

SwingKing01
07-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Could Ramon be a guy that could clear waivers after the deadline?? Maybe Jocketty is just making sure that the Reds don't have a shot at the playoffs, we'd be losing a veteran catcher, plus the signs of all the pitchers could have to change, so I would assume that if Hernandez could be a guy that clears waivers that is what he is waiting on.

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Why trade Ramon when he is our best catcher. Why not keep him, and here is a crazy thought...re sign him for next year.

CRedsLarkin11
07-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Why trade Ramon when he is our best catcher. Why not keep him, and here is a crazy thought...re sign him for next year.

Because he is 35, not likely to continue his success at this point in his career, and the Reds' top prospect is a catcher at AAA who is ready?

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
So, you would rather have Hannigan "train" Mez?

Ramon is having a great year, showing no signs of tapering off at all. If anything, he is a great bat off the bench, can catch, and play first base.

Stray
07-30-2011, 03:43 PM
So, you would rather have Hannigan "train" Mez?

Ramon is having a great year, showing no signs of tapering off at all. If anything, he is a great bat off the bench, can catch, and play first base.

We already gave Hanigan a contract and we wouldn't be bringing Mez up to be a backup or platoon catcher. We'd be bringing him up to start. With that thinking it makes more sense to keep Hanigan who we've locked up, is younger, and cheaper.

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok, and one more thing he "isnt" hes not nearly as good or productive, or dangerous. Your reasons provided are the primary reasons why the last 20 years have been much of the same to Reds fans.

Stray
07-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Ok, and one more thing he "isnt" hes not nearly as good or productive, or dangerous. Your reasons provided are the primary reasons why the last 20 years have been much of the same to Reds fans.

What would we do with Hanigan then? Ramon has been great for us, but he's getting older, we have a backup catcher locked up, and we have the best catching prospect in all of baseball ready to come up.

It's not about being cheap or settling for anything, it's just the correct move for the franchise. The only reason we would keep Ramon through the rest of this season is if we believe we can still win the division.

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
And if we believe we can win next year, we should keep him over Hannigan.

wvreds
07-30-2011, 03:58 PM
It's Hanigan not Hannigan

Stray
07-30-2011, 03:59 PM
That would mean we would be spending a lot more money than we should on a backup catcher. Money that we are going to need to acquire/keep better players.

mrherd05
07-30-2011, 04:06 PM
You are awfully confident that a AAA catcher is better than Ramon, i hope you are right, but you have no proof that he is better. If he was hands down a better player, he would be here right now.

Redsfansince72
07-30-2011, 04:08 PM
You are awfully confident that a AAA catcher is better than Ramon, i hope you are right, but you have no proof that he is better. If he was hands down a better player, he would be here right now.

Hmm i kinda think Dusty wouldnt play him anyway.. just ask Alonso!!

Stray
07-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Hmm i kinda think Dusty wouldnt play him anyway.. just ask Alonso!!

Alonso's defense has to be horrible, because it isn't just Dusty who feels he's not a major league left fielder.

And yes, I think we have to have faith in our farm system for success. Obviously none are sure things, but when you have the best catching prospect in baseball and you have a payroll like the Reds you have to put trust into your young guys.