PDA

View Full Version : Partial blame on Walt J, partial blame on NL Central

BluegrassRedleg
07-30-2011, 08:19 PM
I feel like Walt ultimately failed this season, in part, because the NL Central was so mediocre. I feared this way back in early June when it was becoming clear that no one had the ability to really separate themselves. Instead of being PROACTIVE and getting players who could help the Reds separate (perhaps a Kemp/Billingsley deal with cash-strapped LA) Walt sat back and rolled the dice on a hot streak against a weak division. It didn't come, and now know one seems to know if they're buyers or sellers. That's the absolute worst position you can be in.

I've been a big Walt fan to this point, but his failure to improve major weaknesses in the offseason and now in the heat of the division race are really discouraging. He blew it. Royally. I'm now more confused about the future of the organization than ever.

Old NDN
07-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I agree. I'm starting to sense that maybe the game has passed Walt by. This team needed an injection of hope. Walt failed them, so far. Gotta be a bummer for the players knowing that help is NOT on the way.

sdwagers
07-31-2011, 12:06 AM
I d like to see Walt make a push for Kemp in offseason, that and King Felix.

The Dodgers and the Mariners could use some young players

Redsnake
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
I still feel Walt failed in the off season. This team clearly needed upgrades in the exact same positions they are struggling with now. It's like broken record.

The only thing we were hoping for is Walt would make that move to upgrade eventually..... He didn't!!

Old NDN
07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
You're right Snake. Walt and Co. failed to admit those needs/upgrades. Instead, they stubbornly believed Gomes, Janish, Volquez, Lewis, etc. were going to get the job done. And when they didn't perform, Walt was too slow to make the changes.

sdwagers
07-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Gomes and Janish had career years last year. I think someone stole Janish's glove as he has been much worse defensively this year (better than Edgar though).

Not convinced Lewis should be much more than the 5th OFer - primarily a LH and speed off the bench.