Masset
Arrendondo
Chapman
Leake
Bailey
Wood
Horst
Fisher

Good enough for 5th in all of MLB. Can that be our pitching staff for next season more or less?

The DARK
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
That would be the cumulative ERA of the following this season:

Cueto
Ondrusek
Bray
Lecure
Masset
Arrendondo
Chapman
Leake
Bailey
Wood
Horst
Fisher

Good enough for 5th in all of MLB. Can that be our pitching staff for next season more or less?

We can't get rid of Arroyo that easily, especially not after paying market value for his services. The idea of converting him to a reliever was floated as a possibility in the ORG...

Kingspoint
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
It's amazing how Dusty's love of Veterans (Arroyo, Rolen, Renteria, Gomes, etc.) have cost this team a run at the Division Title this year. We finally have an ACE (Cueto) to win playoff games, and Dusty screws it up by letting the Veterans sink this ship.

kfm
08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I will give you Gomes, but I don't get how you can blame Dusty for the other three especially since Walt signed two of them to extensions before the season started.

Kingspoint
08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I will give you Gomes, but I don't get how you can blame Dusty for the other three especially since Walt signed two of them to extensions before the season started.Who named Arroyo Opening Day Starter? Nothing wrong with the Arroyo signing. Definitely something wrong with not sending him to the 60-Day DL and into the Hospital. Dusty had as much say at that as Walt. Both are to blame. Insisting that Rolen still had a lot to give, and Renteria, etc. You've got to know when to fold 'em.

Votto4MVP
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Who named Arroyo Opening Day Starter? Nothing wrong with the Arroyo signing. Definitely something wrong with not sending him to the 60-Day DL and into the Hospital. Dusty had as much say at that as Walt. Both are to blame. Insisting that Rolen still had a lot to give, and Renteria, etc. You've got to know when to fold 'em.

Arroyo started opening day?

kfm
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Who named Arroyo Opening Day Starter? Nothing wrong with the Arroyo signing. Definitely something wrong with not sending him to the 60-Day DL and into the Hospital. Dusty had as much say at that as Walt. Both are to blame. Insisting that Rolen still had a lot to give, and Renteria, etc. You've got to know when to fold 'em.

I think we agree they share in the blame along with the players. Btw arroyo was not the opening day starter.

Newman4
08-02-2011, 01:34 PM
It's amazing how Dusty's love of Veterans (Arroyo, Rolen, Renteria, Gomes, etc.) have cost this team a run at the Division Title this year. We finally have an ACE (Cueto) to win playoff games, and Dusty screws it up by letting the Veterans sink this ship.
If Arroyo and Volquez do not get their starts then this team is in first place. That's poor management on all levels. I didn't even figure in Cordero's ERA which helps the number even more. Moreover, point is that this team has a talented young nucleus and can contend next season with payroll flexibility from Cordero. It would be great if Arroyo can string together two more games on par with last night and pawn off that salary to the big markets like NY or Boston.

FireDusty
08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Even I can't blame Dusty for running Arroyo out there. Every team in MLB would have stuck with him at least this long with his contract number.

Newman4
08-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I think most would have exercised Arroyos option. But, the extension is what is questionable.

The DARK
08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I think most would have exercised Arroyos option. But, the extension is what is questionable.

It's easy to see why it was attractive, though. Arroyo was the very definition of a rotation "horse", eating up innings more efficiently than any other non-ace in the business, posting similar ERAs for the past 5 or 6 years with next to no injuries. Nobody forsees a guy like that catching mono and having his velocity, control, and pitching instincts drop off a cliff the way they have so far.

brm7675
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM
You really have to wonder a couple of things...

1. Had not both Bailey and Cueto started the season on teh DL, would the Reds have put Bronson on the DL, but instead needed him due to the other two being on the DL.

2. How much different Bronson would have pitched had they said put him on the 60 Day DL, then rehab him and brought him back say around the All Star game for a second half push.

3. Also the entire country has experienced one of the hottest summers in history, gotta think that has impacted on Bronson a bit with his condition.

Roush's socks
08-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Renteria should get credit considering that Janish totally lamed out and Cozart went down with injury. Renteria has an OPS of .636 and NL average for SS's is .678- so he isn't that far below average. And with .304 BA with RISP he has come up with some timely hits. I'm not saying he's great, or even above average, but with Janish totally wanking off, and Cozart going down as soon as he came up, the Reds are lucky that Renteria has at least contributed something.

Kingspoint
08-03-2011, 03:50 AM
You really have to wonder a couple of things...

1. Had not both Bailey and Cueto started the season on teh DL, would the Reds have put Bronson on the DL, but instead needed him due to the other two being on the DL.

2. How much different Bronson would have pitched had they said put him on the 60 Day DL, then rehab him and brought him back say around the All Star game for a second half push.

3. Also the entire country has experienced one of the hottest summers in history, gotta think that has impacted on Bronson a bit with his condition.

So, true.

FireDusty
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Misleading.

Take Cueto out of the mix and what is the ERA of the above bunch minus Cueto.

I say throw out Cueto & Arroyo and show that ERA. That will give you a much better idea.