PDA

View Full Version : 23ish losses from the bullpen....

Calten
08-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I hear a lot about how the Reds aren't doing as well this year as last year in 1 run games. This feels like the most frustrating part of the team this year. How many times has the starter gone out with a 1 run lead, and a runner on first, and the bullpen gives up 2 runs, or even 3 with the Reds only able to come up with one more.

There are a lot of problems on the team ranging from clutch hitting, starting pitching, and people underperforming, but I think this is the biggest problem.

Does anyone have a comparison of how the Reds are in the W/L column from a bullpen perspective vs. the rest of the NL?

So frustrating....

jwmann2
08-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Much like the 2007 Reds. I saw a stat back then that had the game ended in the 8th inning we would have been in 1st place the entire season. How often did David Weathers or Mike Stanton give the lead back to the other team back then?

Someone on this forum posted that Ondrusek should be our closer, lol! Comedy...

redcat
08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Baker obviously doesn't look at prior stats. Everyone knows that Ondrusek and Masset can't get people out right now, and he continues to wheel them out there.

But the most damning thing is that he's always too late in removing them. If a reliever comes in and can't get the first two guys out, he needs to be sent to the showers.

There comes a time when you've got to make a statement to these guys that they must perform or they're not going to play.

Calten
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
It almost feels better in some cases to leave the starter in, unless he's really on the ropes obviously.

I was confused last week when they had a lead, and I think it was Ondrusek who just didn't have it. We needed to strike atleast 2 out, and had chapman in the bullpen, but left him in.

I'm not the greatest, but I for sure saw that opportunity...

Frustrating..