PDA

View Full Version : future closer

mlh1981
08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Is he currently on our roster, and if not, who would be a good fit here for the right price?

Hillsdale87
08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm not opposed to giving Ondrusek a try at closer. He's been rough recently, but he's had a pretty good year overall. Same thing with Bray. I was really hoping Masset would be the guy, but he just hasn't been consistent enough this year. I think ultimately it will be Boxberger, but I don't know if he'll be ready at the start of next season. I'm very opposed to spending a lot of money on a closer, especially on a smaller market team, so I'm hoping they go with somebody in house.

redsfanmia
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I like the Bronson Arroyo ideal.

Roush's socks
08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I like the Bronson Arroyo ideal.

I see some of the arguments for Arroyo. But I also think he gives up a lot of home runs to be a closer.

What about Bray? I would be in favor of using someone in the system rather than payimg for a free agent to replace Coco. We have lost so many games this year because of the middle relief, it shows that you need a good all around bullpen.

redssince75
08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I see some of the arguments for Arroyo.

Like what? I can't even think of ONE.

Prf15
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Is he currently on our roster, and if not, who would be a good fit here for the right price?

I am hoping they don't pay a lot for a closer, if at all. They would be overpaying for a title again, like Cordero.

I don't think Bray or Ondrusek is a bad option to be closer next year. Neither guy gives up many HR. I would probably rather see Bray, being a lefty with better stuff.

There is Masset as well, if he can get back to what he was like last year. He was flat out nasty.

Vottomatic
08-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Boxberger

LexRedsFan
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Like what? I can't even think of ONE.

Well he does run into trouble in about the fifth inning, usually. So loss of stamina could be a problem.

jwmann2
08-07-2011, 04:50 PM
We need a free agent to be our closer. Not sure how many games some of you guys watch, but I'm only a fan of Chapman, Bray, Leake and Cueto. Our pitching is below avg, sorry.

wabashfalcon
08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Boxberger. When he came out of USC, he was annointed with the label. He's backed it up. Foxy Boxy will be the closer in 2013. Methinks Bray/Chappy for 2012.

Stray
08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe a FA, I'd rather see Chapman start. There isn't a guy in our bullpen (minus Coco who won't be around) that I want closing. Please god no to Ondrusek or Masset.

Natty Redlocks
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Lecure

DocRed
08-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Lecure

this

kfm
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Maybe a FA, I'd rather see Chapman start. There isn't a guy in our bullpen (minus Coco who won't be around) that I want closing. Please god no to Ondrusek or Masset.

Agree! But that means it will probably one of them.

alucas1505
08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I definitely think that Boxberger is the answer. The few times that I've seen him in Louisville I've been more than impressed. I think Chapman has all the skills to be a closer, but I'd rather see him as a starter. If they'd like to give Boxberger another year in AAA, I think that Lecure would be the best option for next year out of our current bullpen.

Vottomatic
08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I hope they stick Chapman in triple A and let him work on becoming a starter.

With Cordero gone, and Chapman becoming a starter, that returns 5 of your current 7 in the bullpen.

I see the bullpen as the following next year with closer by committee:

Bray
Ondrusek
Masset
Lecure
Arredondo
Boxberger
FA Signing

Tadasimha
08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
It's Chapman. He's got the ability to be an absolute shut-down closer for years to come, possible even a regular six out man as well.

Stretching him out is just begging for major arm surgery in short order whereas that cannon he brings out for one or two innings at a go will still be solid many season from now if he's dubbed the closer now or for 2012.

Hillsdale87
08-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I like Lecure, but I would still rather see Bray in that role. It would be great if the Reds could trade Cordero before August 15 and have some auditions through the end of the season.

faffy42
08-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I believe its chapman. (If he likes the closer role). He's shown he can come in and shut down for an inning with relative ease. His control issues seem to be better. We need a solid closer. We have one in chapman already, why look elsewhere? Let's plug him in and see how he does. Remember how it felt to know that your closer could undoubtedly come in and preserve that one run lead in the ninth without a ton of apprehension. Me neither. Let's let our fireballer try to bring back that feeling.

DGullett35
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Boxberger or Chapman. Hopefully Chapman, IMO he could be one of the best closers in the show

texasdave
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
When a team is getting a save opportunity every two weeks does it really matter all that much?

kfm
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
What about Bailey? He looked so good coming out of the bullpen in the playoffs throwing in the mid to high 90s. He could throw fb, sl, split. If not homer I like lecure, he has worked out of so many tough spots, I think he has the mental makeup to do it.

TigerNation10
08-11-2011, 12:09 AM
What about Bailey? He looked so good coming out of the bullpen in the playoffs throwing in the mid to high 90s. He could throw fb, sl, split. If not homer I like lecure, he has worked out of so many tough spots, I think he has the mental makeup to do it.

I like that idea, especially if Chapman is going to be in the rotation next year.

Cueto
Chapman
Leake
Wood/Volquez/Willis
Arroyo

Sounds good to me with Bailey as closer.

Chris Sabowned
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Put me down for one vote in the Bailey category. Failed starting pitchers become relief pitchers all the time. I hope they would at least giving him a look out of the bullpen to see how he does int he role.

Krawhitham
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I hope they stick Chapman in triple A and let him work on becoming a starter.

Chapman will not go to AAA

This season AAA only has about 20 days left

They will not waste Chapman's 3rd year of a 6 year contract by sticking him in AAA

That is why he is going to be a closer next season. They do not have time to fully stretch him back out to be a starter. If they attempted it will be like Leake's 1st season they had to shut him down half way through the season, which would waste 1/2 a season on a 6 year deal. If they Reds had a chance to resign him it might be worth it but they do not