PDA

View Full Version : 8/9/2011 Rocks vs Reds

cumberlandreds
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
This lineup was in the Sundeck game thread. So I thought I would start the excitement for tonights game with that.
I think I would switch Renteria and Frazier. Frazier seems to have some pop in his bat that would be better suited higher up in the lineup.

Sappelt LF
Renteria SS
Votto 1B
Phillips 2B
Bruce RF
Stubbs CF
Hernandez C
Frazier 3B
Willis P

Edd Roush
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Glad to see Frazier and Sapp starting today. Really wish we would get Mes some ABs before September.

reds1869
08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm looking forward to Sappelt leading of at GABP. Can't wait to head down to the old ball yard tonight!

Caveat Emperor
08-09-2011, 06:36 PM
For anyone not heading down to the game tonight, it's not too late to call over a few friends and enjoy the TV broadcast on FSN Ohio with George Grande and Chris Welsh. Grab a few cold ones and join the sensation that is: Caveat Emperor's Official RedsZone George Grande Drinking Game™:

RULES:

This is a group drinking game (Reds baseball is a social affair). If you find yourself playing alone, utilize the drink numbers in as your personal drinking responsibilities.

Before the game, everyone must assign themselves a number 1-9. If playing with disposable cups, write your number on your cup.

[B]RULE 1 "Hello": Start the game with a full drink. When George Grande greets you with a "Hi, Hello, and Welcome", give everyone in the group a cheers and take 3 drinks. [3]

RULE 2 "Story Time": Whenever George Grande says "You know his story," everyone must shout out one fact about the player on screen. Anyone who cannot shout out a fact or repeats someone else's fact must take a drink. If someone shouts out an incorrect fact (verified as incorrect by baseball-reference.com or wikipedia.com), he or she must finish their drink. [1]

RULE 3 "Smiling": If George Grande goes to commercial saying the Reds are "On the smiling side of the scoreboard" everyone must start smiling. The last person to smile must take 1 drink for every run the Reds are ahead by. [1]

RULE 4 "Gonna Bee": On any deep fly ball, if George Grande begins to say "It's gonna be...." everyone must start drinking and continue to drink until George finishes his call with "Gone!" If anyone actually finishes their drink during this time, they must shout out "Gone!" as soon as their drink is empty. This person can then give drinks out to the group in the same amount as the HR that was just hit (solo HR = 1 drink, 2 run = 2 drinks, etc.). [2]

RULE 5 "Got It": If any player makes a catch in the outfield and causes George Grande to exclaim "He Got It! He Got It!" everyone must high five someone and have 1 drink for every time George repeated the phrase "Got It." [2 or more]

If "He Got It! He Got It" comes after a "It's Gonna Be......" as a result of a catch at the wall, everyone must finish their drink. [finish]

RULE 6 "Double Play: On a double play ball, if George Grande calls it by the numbers (ex. "6-4-3") every person with that number -- which should have been assigned at the start of the game -- must take 2 drinks. If Grande adds a "Yes, siree!" at the end of his call, everyone BUT the numbers listed must take 2 drinks. [2]

RULE 7 "Birds on the Bats": If George Grande starts talking about the Cardinals, for whatever reason, during a game not involving St. Louis, everyone must take 1 drink. If Grande refers to them as the "Redbirds" instead of their official nickname, take an additional drink. [1-2]

If George specifically mentions Albert Pujols (#5), player 5 gets to assign 5 drinks to the rest of the group. If Grande refers to him as "Sir Albert" or "Prince Albert," player 5 gets to assign 5 drinks but must also take 5 drinks himself. If your group has less than 5 players, everyone must yell "Hail Albert!" and take 5 drinks. [5]

RULE 8 "That's Not My Name": During the broadcast, if Grande refers to player by a nickname everyone must shout out another famous Reds nickname. The last person to shout out a nickname must take 2 drinks. If Grande makes a reference to Juan Castro as "Manos del Oros" everyone must shout "Fiesta!" and take 2 drinks. [2]

RULE 9 "Brilliant!": When Grande is calling a defensive play, if the word "Brilliant" is used as a description, everyone must shout out "Brilliant!" in the manner of the old Guinness ads, give a quick cheers, and take one drink. Anyone who does not shout out "Brilliant!" must apologize to the player who made the play and take 2 penalty drinks. [1]

If anyone is actually drinking a Guinness during the game, he or she may order another player to finish his drink and bring him another. [finish]

RULE 10 "Get 'em on": If, when talking about moving runners or playing small-ball, Grande states "Get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in," everyone must take 1 drink (since we're playing for 1 run). If Grande states this as a result of a run actually scoring, everyone must drink 1 for every run the Reds are currently ahead. If the scoring play results in the Reds still losing, everyone must yell at Grande for being an idiot and take 1 drink for every run the Reds are currently behind, plus 2 penalty drinks. [1 or 2]

RULE 11 "The Creeper": During the telecast, any time George Grande makes a reference to Chris Welsh by any of his nicknames (The Crafty Lefthander, the Creeper, etc.), Player 1 (Welsh was a pitcher, after all) must assign 3 drinks to the group. [3]

If Grande discusses Welsh's facial hair (or lack thereof), anyone in the group without a beard, goatee or mustache must take 2 drinks. [2]

If Grande brings up Welsh's only career home run, Player 1 must take 4 drinks. If they actually show footage of Welsh's home run, Player 1 must give out 4 drinks and finish his own drink. [finish / 4]

RULE 12 "Boot-Scootin' Boogie": If Grande describes anyone as "Boot scootin" down the line, the first person to drink gets to assign 4 drinks to the group for being the fastest. If Grande states someone has "scampered" home, the owner of the house where the game is being watched gets to assign 4 drinks to the group. If you are watching the game at a bar, everyone must take 4 drinks and the last person to finish must order another round. [4]

RULE 13 "This One Belongs To The Reds": If the Reds win the game, everyone must cheers and thank George for a job well done. Take 2 drinks for making it to the end. If the Reds lose the game, everyone must give the TV the middle finger and finish their drinks to cover the sorrow.

edabbs44
08-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Honestly CE, how long did it take you to come up with that? We need the backstory, it is brilliant.

Larkin Fan
08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Caveat, that is priceless. Can I make a suggestion though? You need to add a rule for each mention Grande makes of Jesse Jackson? It has to be at least 100 times a game.

Caveat Emperor
08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Honestly CE, how long did it take you to come up with that? We need the backstory, it is brilliant.

I honestly don't even remember -- not as long as you'd think. I've wanted to put together a Thom Brennaman drinking game for a while, but I watched a Grande broadcast earlier in the year and realized that it was a crime that we suffered through all those horrid years -- listening to Grande try to smile his way through a broadcast while Jose Acevedo or Lance Davis got the everliving crap beaten out of him -- without a drinking game for him.

So, I jotted down a few notes before a game and went to work. Most of the stuff is just what we all spent a decade complaining about on here anyway. I'm just a few years too late to add stuff about Jim Edmonds. ;)

I've also started getting suggestions from other RZ members about adding stuff. One that Big Klu suggested became the "Brilliant!" rule. I'm actually mad I didn't think to include it in the original game.

JaxRed
08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I agree with the Jesse Jackson thing. I throw up in my mouth a little each time he does that.

redsfaninbsg
08-09-2011, 07:30 PM
At this rate, Votto may get his 100th walk of the season on this home stand.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:42 PM
D-TRAIN! Triple into the corner to plate Razor! LOL!

When was the last time we saw a Reds pitcher with a freakin' TRIPLE!?! :)

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Dontrelle out at the dish...head first slide no less. I love it.

VR
D-TRAIN! Triple into the corner to plate Razor! LOL!

When was the last time we saw a Reds PLAYER with a freakin' TRIPLE!?! :)

Fixed

RedLegSuperStar
DTrain hits a HR in his last at bat in Houston and now rakes a Triple! Dude is more potent then Micah Owings

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
6 game hitting streak for Willis. Longest since Rijo. :O)

Kc61
08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I guess it's not cool to say that Sappelt didn't get Willis home but instead grounded into the fielders choice at home.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Dontrelle may not make the rotation next season, but man is he fun to watch. The same kind of enthusiasm as Junior used to show early in his career. They make it hard not to smile while watching them. :)

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Edgar is 2 for 2. There's no punch line.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:55 PM
KKKKK

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
KKKKKK

Dontrelle is mowin' them down. 9 in a row now.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Phillips plunked. Both benches warned.

For the dinger yesterday? Really?

CTA513
08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Phillips plunked. Both benches warned.

For the dinger yesterday? Really?

LaRussa should bring in Chapman

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Did I miss something else? I'm trying to figure out why they'd plunk Brandon. That looked intentional...I'm just not getting the reasoning.

I just watched the replay of yesterday's dinger...he didn't showboat or anything. It was very mild-mannered in fact.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
No mo no-no. Fowler single back up the middle.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
2-1 Rockies. Dinger Tulo.

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
KKKKKKK

_Sir_Charles_
08-09-2011, 08:26 PM
1st & 2nd with 1 down after the Sappelt single. (Frazier K'd but reached on the wild pitch).

Reds Freak
08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Is it me or is the score of every game Dontrelle pitches 3-2?

Kc61
08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Dusty bunts his way out of a promising sixth inning.

Two on, no out. Slow catcher Razor the lead runner. Good hitter Willis up.

Dusty calls for the bunt. Razor easily out at third. With the first out handed to the Rockies, Reds don't score.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-09-2011, 09:27 PM
D-Train deserves better than this. Bruce strikes out on a pitiful pitch he couldn't hit with a tennis racket.

When do some of these players start getting it?

Tom Servo
08-09-2011, 09:30 PM
10 strikeouts for Willis.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Another Stubbs strikeout. Like the sun rising in the morning.

Tom Servo
08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
God awful strike calls to begin and end Frazier's at-bats. C'mon blue.

WVRedsFan
08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Nothing to see here apparently.

Reds Freak
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
It's been this way all year. When they hit, they can't pitch. When they pitch, they can't hit. When they hit and pitch, they can't play defense.

Tom Servo
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Reds lose.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Three pages of a game thread in August: Reds baseball 2011

Nice work Walt and Dusty!

GAC
08-10-2011, 04:23 AM
I guess they expected Willis to do it all....pitch one heck of a game and drive in all the runs.

reds1869
08-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Reds lose.

An all too familiar refrain. The atmosphere at GABP right now is depressing. Everyone just sits around waiting to see how we'll lose.