PDA

View Full Version : 8.12.11 Padres @ the Cincinnati "We don't need 25 players" Reds

klw
08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Reds lineup
3:49 pm, Aug 12, 2011

Lewis 7,
Janish 6,
Votto 3,
Bruce 9,
Cairo 4,
Stubbs 8,
Hanigan 2,
Frazier 5,
Arroyo 1
v Mat Latos, RHP
6-11, 3.87 ERA

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_12_sdnmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=preview

Latos burst on the scene last season with a 14-10 record and a 2.92 ERA, but he's been having a hard time putting together a fitting encore to that season. The 23-year-old got clubbed around for an 0-4 record and a 4.98 ERA in his first four starts. but he's rebounded to go 6-7 with a 3.65 mark since then.

Arroyo has logged five straight seasons with at least 200 innings for the Reds, and he's managed to keep his ERA under 4.00 in three of those campaigns. The right-hander has given up a league-high 32 home runs in his first 23 starts, and 20 of those have come in 13 starts at his homer-friendly home park.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/08/12/how-about-alonso-at-3b-in-louisville/

– Brandon Phillips (left elbow) again is out of the lineup. Phillips was asked how he was doing and replied, “Not good.”
Phillips had tweeted that he would be out five days, and that appears more and more likely.
“This is Day-3 of his Day-5 prediction,” Baker said.
Is the DL a possibility? Not for now, Baker said.
“He can pinch-run for you,” Baker said. “We’ve got to take it as long as we can. Usually he heals pretty quickly, but that tip of the elbow, that’s a bad spot.”

So the Reds are going forward with a guy they will only use as a PH because Baker won't play him in the field and a 2b who can only pinch run. Makes sense to me.
http://mondaymorningpunter.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/beefypunter.jpg

RedsManRick
08-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Woohoo, the "SS bats 2nd" logic continues! Let's see, who is the worst of these 8 guys? Janish? Ok, let's make sure he gets more at bats than Joey Votto or Jay Bruce or really anybody besides Fred Lewis. Err....

BP on twitter a few minutes ago:

Ummm... I tried 2 hit in the cage 2day & that was a STUPID idea! I know #MyMotivation is goin 2 be mad at me but I just needed to know

My money is on a DL stint. Frazier at 2B, Alonso at 3B?

klw
08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Woohoo, the "SS bats 2nd" logic continues! Let's see, who is the worst of these 8 guys? Janish? Ok, let's make sure he gets more at bats than Joey Votto or Jay Bruce or really anybody besides Fred Lewis. Err....

BP on twitter a few minutes ago:

My money is on a DL stint. Frazier at 2B, Alonso at 3B?

My guess is Valika, Hermida up; Alonso down, Phillips DL

Tom Servo
08-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Arroyo missed first base on a toss and tweaked his ankle a bit.

BCubb2003
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I think I like Jim Day better in this role than in the other one.

Tom Servo
08-12-2011, 07:26 PM
1-0 Padres. It begins.

alloverjr
08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
All excited to see Fred Lewis and Paul Janish hit 1-2 in the lineup.

klw
08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
PLAY BY PLAY
TOP OF 1ST
Runs: 1
Hits: 1
Errors: 1
- Padres first.
- Venable grounded out, first baseman Votto to pitcher Arroyo.
- Bartlett safe at first on fielding error by pitcher Arroyo.
- Maybin walked on a full count, Bartlett to second.
- Guzman grounded into fielder's choice, shortstop Janish to second baseman Cairo, Bartlett to third, Guzman to first, Maybin out.
- O.Hudson singled to center, Bartlett scored, Guzman to third.
- Tekotte struck out.

BOTTOM OF 1ST
Runs: 0
Hits: 0
Errors: 0
- Reds first.
- F.Lewis struck out.
- Janish struck out.
- Votto grounded out, shortstop Bartlett to first baseman Guzman.

TOP OF 2ND
Hits: 2
- Padres second.
- Hundley homered to center on a 1-2 count.
- Forsythe singled to left.
- Latos struck out.
- Forsythe stole second.
- Venable was hit by a pitch.
- Bartlett grounded into a double play, shortstop Janish to second baseman Cairo to first baseman Votto, Venable out.

BOTTOM OF 2ND
- Reds second.
- Bruce flied out to center fielder Maybin.
- Cairo flied out to left fielder Tekotte.
- Stubbs grounded out, third baseman Forsythe to first baseman Guzman.

2-0 Padres going to the 3rd

klw
08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Two hits. Two palpable hits!

Bruce doubles in Janish who doubled. 2-1 Padres in the bottom of the 4th.

klw
08-12-2011, 08:42 PM
July 29th was the last time Stubbs drove in a run by a way other than homer.

RedsManRick
08-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Brantley's comments re: Bell/Adams were dead wrong as far as I've heard/read. Rangers could have had Bell for just one of the prospects they had to give up to get Adams. But Adams is the better pitcher at this point and he's cheaper and has a year of control left.

But it's easier to stick with the closer's are special narrative I guess.

Gallen5862
08-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the pbp and inning summaries.

klw
08-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Bronson gets through the 6th. Still 2-1 Padres. He threw 120 pitches. I am using the past tense assuming they won't run him out for more.

- Padres third.
- Maybin grounded out, shortstop Janish to first baseman Votto.
- Guzman grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Votto.
- O.Hudson singled to center.
- Tekotte grounded out, second baseman Cairo to first baseman Votto.

BOTTOM OF 3RD
- Reds third.
- Hanigan grounded out, second baseman O.Hudson to first baseman Guzman.
- Frazier walked on a full count.
- Arroyo sacrificed, pitcher Latos to second baseman O.Hudson, Frazier to second.
- F.Lewis flied out to right fielder Venable.

TOP OF 4TH
Errors: 1
- Padres fourth.
- Hundley singled to center.
- On pickoff attempt, error by pitcher Arroyo, Hundley to second.
- Forsythe flied out to right fielder Bruce.
- Latos struck out.
- Venable grounded out, second baseman Cairo to first baseman Votto.

BOTTOM OF 4TH
Hits: 2
- Reds fourth.
- Janish doubled to left.
- Votto struck out.
- Bruce doubled to right, Janish scored.
- Cairo struck out.
- Stubbs flied out to right fielder Venable.

TOP OF 5TH
- Padres fifth.
- Bartlett struck out.
- Maybin flied out to right fielder Bruce.
- Guzman lined out to center fielder Stubbs.

BOTTOM OF 5TH
- Reds fifth.
- Hanigan grounded out, third baseman Forsythe to first baseman Guzman.
- Frazier flied out to center fielder Maybin.
- Arroyo popped out to second baseman O.Hudson.

TOP OF 6TH
- Padres sixth.
- O.Hudson grounded out, second baseman Cairo to first baseman Votto.
- Tekotte struck out.
- Hundley doubled to center.
- Forsythe was intentionally walked.
- Latos struck out.

I am too tired to type straight- good night.

Kc61
08-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Cairo triples. Stubbs singles. Tie game.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Man this club spurs interest. I'm in Rockingham, NC tonight and can't find out what's happening (no cell service for MLB at bat and internet is spotty). Inning and score would help. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment,,,

Tom Servo
08-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Man this club spurs interest. I'm in Rockingham, NC tonight and can't find out what's happening (no cell service for MLB at bat and internet is spotty). Inning and score would help. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment,,,
2-2 in the top of the 8th. 1 out, runner on 2nd for the Padres. LeCure pitching.

alloverjr
08-12-2011, 10:08 PM
3-2 Pads going to the bottom of the 8th. Hopefully Dusty sends Alonso up to PH for Bray.

Tom Servo
08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE! :jump:

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Bruce homers in the bottom of the 8th to give the Reds a 5-3 lead.

If anyone cares...

RedsManRick
08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
That was such an inconsistent jog around the bases. Someday hopefully he learn to more evenly distribute the time he spends trotting from one base to the next.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Nothing like buying greasy food you don't want to get Wi-Fi so you can listen to the game on the old Blackberry.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
2 out in the ninth--Reds still lead on two tremendous plays by Frazier and Renteria.

Tom Servo
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
This one belongs to the Reds. :beerme:

dman
08-12-2011, 10:29 PM
As aggravating as it is to see Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs when they're not doing well, there's something special about watching the two of them when they're on their game. Good job tonight Jay Bruce

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 10:29 PM
What a finish. Reds win 5-3. LeCure gets the win and CoCo gets the save. Jay Bruce has the big HR in the 8th to seal it and the defense in the 9th was awesome. Thank god for McDonald's Wi-Fi in Rockingham and my trusty old Blackberry Torch. No pictures, but sound. Now let's head for Myrtle Beach in the morning!

Redsfan320
08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
What dooo you know- Reds win!

3 in a row! Not much of a game thread tonight... maybe I should show up more often. After all, the people love me. :D

dman
08-12-2011, 10:43 PM
What a finish. Reds win 5-3. LeCure gets the win and CoCo gets the save. Jay Bruce has the big HR in the 8th to seal it and the defense in the 9th was awesome. Thank god for McDonald's Wi-Fi in Rockingham and my trusty old Blackberry Torch. No pictures, but sound. Now let's head for Myrtle Beach in the morning!

Good time of year to head there. Some pretty good deals on condos, which I'm sure you've already done. Have fun and be safe.

traderumor
08-12-2011, 10:47 PM
That game reminded me of a lot of games in 2010. Hang around, rally late, hold 'em in the 9th.

WVRedsFan
08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Good time of year to head there. Some pretty good deals on condos, which I'm sure you've already done. Have fun and be safe.Yep. Cheap condos, kids are in school in SC, and crowds are not as bad. Only problem is seeing the Reds--but, I need R&R in the worst way. Great way to start my vacation week--a big fly by Bruce to win the game. We may not win the division, but my addiction to this team is stronger than any drug. I sometimes wonder what's wrong with me.

Ron Madden
08-13-2011, 03:15 AM
That was such an inconsistent jog around the bases. Someday hopefully he learn to more evenly distribute the time he spends trotting from one base to the next.

Yeah, Like Marty said the other night "Jay Bruce rarely ever gets a big hit."

You'd think when he does, he would hustle around the bases. ;)

Ron Madden
08-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Here's the Box.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_12_sdnmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=box&c_id=cin

redsmetz
08-13-2011, 09:51 AM
BTW, Bill Bray got the win, not LeCure. Good game overall. For having been hurt right out the chute, Arroyo pitched admirably. LeCure was his usually good self, albeit one pitch. Bray looked very good and Cordero was very workmanlike.

We only had eight runners on base the whole game and five scored. That was a different feeling. Nice to see Stubbs come up with a timely hit to tie things up. And Bruces homer was a laser into about the second or third row of the rightfield seats. We've not won many games like that this season.

Beautiful night at the ballpark last night. We even got to see my nephew's wedding rehearsal cruise sale by twice during the game. Great fireworks show, as usual. Funny to see my 20 something daughters and a friend singing tunes from Alladin & Little Mermaid during some of it.

KittyDuran
08-13-2011, 12:36 PM
BTW, Bill Bray got the win, not LeCure. Good game overall. For having been hurt right out the chute, Arroyo pitched admirably. LeCure was his usually good self, albeit one pitch. Bray looked very good and Cordero was very workmanlike.

We only had eight runners on base the whole game and five scored. That was a different feeling. Nice to see Stubbs come up with a timely hit to tie things up. And Bruces homer was a laser into about the second or third row of the rightfield seats. We've not won many games like that this season.

Beautiful night at the ballpark last night. We even got to see my nephew's wedding rehearsal cruise sale by twice during the game. Great fireworks show, as usual. Funny to see my 20 something daughters and a friend singing tunes from Alladin & Little Mermaid during some of it.

Didn't I see you on the big screen last night as well? :)

redsmetz
08-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Didn't I see you on the big screen last night as well? :)

Yes, you did. My second time too. A grade school friend of our son's wrote on his FB walk that she'd just seen us dancing around on the Jumbotron.