PDA

View Full Version : Alonso or Votto?

panzecaz03
08-21-2011, 01:22 AM
If we were to trade one, who would you want to keep?

Vottomatic
08-21-2011, 09:23 AM
This has already been debated over and over on several threads.

It simply depends on what you get in return. If Alonso can be dealt with some other prospects/major leaguers to acquire someone like a Matt Kemp (which is doubtful) to bat cleanup behind Votto, then you do it.

If every team out there wants Votto in return for something equal or better, like say Bautista, you consider doing it because you have Alonso to replace him at 1B and at third in the lineup.

It simply just depends on what you can get in return for each of them.

texasdave
08-21-2011, 10:25 AM
If I was baseball king for the day Votto would be signed to a lifetime contract with the Reds. However, economic realities always seem to get in the way.

dthomas24
08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Trade Alonso...always keep the proven talent

Skreep
08-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Trade Alonso...always keep the proven talent

exactly. Votto should be the foundation the rest of the team is built around.

DGullett35
08-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Exactly. Votto is someone you build around. Alonso should be trade bait for us to get Big Game James

Redsnake
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
How do you build around someone who won't be here after the 2013 season.
If they trade Alonso the Reds are guaranteed to have a new 1B in 2014.
So the question is who you trade? Votto.

R_Webb18
08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
How do you build around someone who won't be here after the 2013 season.
If they trade Alonso the Reds are guaranteed to have a new 1B in 2014.
So the question is who you trade? Votto.

u build around him by trading ppl last yr. o wait i guess thats to late

Vottomatic
08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
The only way Votto stays is if they build a contender that looks like it can stay together. Otherwise, I see him walking.

brm7675
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
The only way Votto stays is if they build a contender that looks like it can stay together. Otherwise, I see him walking.

We are a contender now, if that was all it took he would have signed a long term deal. As with any good athlete he is going to look for the best deal money wise for him.

R_Webb18
08-23-2011, 02:49 PM
We are a contender now, if that was all it took he would have signed a long term deal. As with any good athlete he is going to look for the best deal money wise for him.

were like 14 out and were contending? thats new to me.

Skreep
08-23-2011, 11:08 PM
were like 14 out and were contending? thats new to me.

If we had a good SS and LF all year, it would be a different story. i dont know if we would be in first, but a hell of a lot closer than we are today

Krawhitham
08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
If we had a good SS and LF all year, it would be a different story. i dont know if we would be in first, but a hell of a lot closer than we are today

LF, SS, & 3rd has been a back hole all season

Billy Hamilton's Legs
08-24-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm with the earlier posters: keep proven talent. As much as we would love to improve the offense, the holes at SS, LF, and 3B are very minor problems with respect to pitching. Our pitching, relative to contending teams, is atrocious. In fact it's not even good in comparison to mediocre teams. Fix that before you start worrying about the other positions.

CrosleyField
08-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Sappelt can fill LF, Cozart at SS, 3rd is still weak but if Rolen can still be strong defensive, then he is okay as long as he doesn't bat 4th.

If we trade Alonso it has to be for a good young pitcher. Not a project, but someone who can pitch soon and be good at it.

Vottomatic
08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
I think Alonso is being showcased against the Marlins for an offseason trade.

Fullboat
08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I know this is blasphemous but I'm thinking the DH would solve this problem quickly.

Roush's socks
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
The Reds are going to have to do something sooner or later. Alonso can hit in the MLB and he has value with his bat. If he isn't going to play LF or 3B, and Votto is still signed for 2 more years, something has to give.

FireDusty
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
If we trade Alonzo, then we will have neither one of them in 2 years.

I guess we can always call Scott Hatteberg up.

We are going to screw around and be in a situation where we are watching both guys rake at an All Star level for someone else.

Trade Votto for a front of the rotation starter this offseason, or sign Votto to a long term deal and trade Alonzo. Whatever you do, don't trade Alonzo and then not extend Votto.

If we aren't careful, we are going to be left holding our Johnsons.

smixsell
08-24-2011, 05:40 PM
We are a contender now....

Boy is your head buried deeply in the sand.

R_Webb18
08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
what would it take to land Jose Bautista+Ricky Romaro (votto+?+?[+?])?

Billy Hamilton's Legs
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
If we trade Alonzo, then we will have neither one of them in 2 years.

I guess we can always call Scott Hatteberg up.

We are going to screw around and be in a situation where we are watching both guys rake at an All Star level for someone else.

Trade Votto for a front of the rotation starter this offseason, or sign Votto to a long term deal and trade Alonzo. Whatever you do, don't trade Alonzo and then not extend Votto.

If we aren't careful, we are going to be left holding our Johnsons.

I know it's hard to think of 1b outside of those two, but neftali soto could be an answer. Maybe a decent, cheap bat with some pop that allows us to pay other positions/ starting pitchers more money.