PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

Sea Ray
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Did anyone just feel that earthquake? I sure felt it here in northern Cincinnati at about 1:54pm while sitting at my desk surfing RZ

cincrazy
08-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I was listening to sports talk radio in Columbus and the guys on the radio started flipping out. I didn't feel it here in Springfield, but some people did. And most of the people I know in Columbus felt it. Crazy.

RichRed
That far away? We're all abuzz here because we just felt it about 20 minutes ago here in Va. Beach. Apparently, it was a 5.8 or so. Pentagon was evacuated.

Danny Serafini
CNN has this to say:

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 struck in northern Virginia, the U.S. Geological Survey said Tuesday.

The quake was felt in Washington, D.C., and as far away as North Carolina and New York, witnesses said. While all U.S. Capitol buildings were evacuated, there were no reports of injuries or damage.

Maybe that's what you felt, since it seems to have had a pretty far reach.

RichRed
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
My wife said her office sounds like a chicken coop. We East Coasters aren't used to these things.

JohnCocktoasten
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Felt it here in New Haven, Connecticut. Been awhile since I felt an earthquake - grew up in Alaska and went to college in L.A. Eerie feeling.

Caveman Techie
08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm in my office downtown Cincinnati on the 12th floor and I thought someone had walked up behind me and was shaking my chair.

Gainesville Red
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Weird. Earthquake effects felt in Brooklyn. I'd never felt an earthquake before. About over by the the time I figured out what was going on.

NJReds
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Our building was evacuated here in northern NJ. I used to live in the SF Bay Area and this was as strong as an earthquake as I've ever felt.

smith288
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Everyone on my facebook are clamoring about it but I didnt feel a thing. I feel like I missed out.

medford
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
My wife said her office sounds like a chicken coop. We East Coasters aren't used to these things.

With the world ending next year, they better get used to things like this.

HotCorner
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I felt my desk shake.

Slyder
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
The door of my class near Dunbar, West Virginia shook and only one person noticed it. Not sure if that means anything. No one else seems to have noticed so it might have just been that specific door.

yab1112
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Saw the computer on my desk start to shake here in Long Island. My first reaction was that it was aftershock from a bomb or something like that :eek:

A slight overreaction I guess

westofyou
08-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Swaying and stuff moving is a nice tremble, it's when the building shakes like it's a dice in Gods hand that's scary

Larkin Fan
08-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I didn't feel it in Westerville (just outside of Columbus).

cincrazy
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Swaying and stuff moving is a nice tremble, it's when the building shakes like it's a dice in Gods hand that's scary

This is what the guys on sports talk radio experienced in Columbus. The host said the building was noticably shaking as if being knocked off its foundation. Scary stuff if that's the case.

RichRed
08-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Our building at work shook for a good 30 seconds or so. At first, I thought it was a truck rumbling by, because sometimes that'll give us a bit of a vibration, but it was clear after a few seconds that that was no truck.

Epicenter is pretty close to the North Anna Nuclear Facility. Yikes.

dougdirt
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Slept right through it. Of the last 4 earthquakes people have felt in Cincinnati, I have been asleep for every single one of them and not noticed a thing. I shouldn't wish that I could feel an earthquake, because it isn't something good.... but I almost wish I could.

texasdave
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
My first thought was that Walt finally made a trade. I was stationed in California for over a year and I never felt one. I write it off as being hyper-unaware.

Slyder
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Slept right through it. Of the last 4 earthquakes people have felt in Cincinnati, I have been asleep for every single one of them and not noticed a thing. I shouldn't wish that I could feel an earthquake, because it isn't something good.... but I almost wish I could.

You're to never sleep again then for the safety of us all on the east coast :laugh:. I didn't even feel it at school, but a lot of people in Charleston are saying they felt it and saw the shaking.

Redsfaithful
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Felt it on the south side of Columbus. House swayed a little.

medford
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM

For some reason, that made me think of "1. 2. Freddie's coming for you..."

dougdirt
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
You're to never sleep again then for the safety of us all on the east coast :laugh:. I didn't even feel it at school, but a lot of people in Charleston are saying they felt it and saw the shaking.

My two best friends (they are dating) live in Charlottesville, VA. The female is a teacher and today was the first day students were in class (middle school). She absolutely freaked out from talking to her. Between her and the kids, I wish there was a camera in her classroom from the sounds of it. :laugh:

membengal
08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Was in my office's Towson location (NE of Baltimore) and was 7 floors up. Building was rolling like on waves, and the table I was sitting at meeting with cients was shaking. It was a large table.

That was..."unsettling". To the extreme.

RBA
08-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Washington D.C. Damage Photo

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/gpatrick3/tumblr_lqe8r32ZYl1qz97cwo1_500.jpg

texasdave
08-23-2011, 03:48 PM

LOL. Well-played.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/gpatrick3/tumblr_lqe8r32ZYl1qz97cwo1_500.jpg

Stray
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah I didn't feel anything in NKY. I missed out.

reds1869
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
My 17th floor apartment in downtown Cincinnati was rockin' pretty nicely. I tend to feel the earthquakes strongly because of the way the building is constructed and wouldn't you know it I'm always working in my home office when every single one of them hits.

medford
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Is that from the annual meeting of honest DC politicians?

RedsBaron
08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Our office is on the top floor of a seven story office building in Huntington, WV. The building was visibly shaking. I was meeting with a legal assistant when our chairs started to move back and forth. The blinds started banging on the windows. Spooky. The local court house was evacuated.

Caveat Emperor
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Downtown Cincinnati, it felt like the building was swaying in the breeze for a second. I thought it was my imagination until someone came out of their office saying "Did anyone else just feel that?!"

redsmetz
08-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I did not feel it here in Spring Grove Village (Mitchell Ave area of I-75) and didn't know about until my oldest daughter called me to tell me they'd been evacuated and she was walking home. Texted my son & his girlfriend right away heard from her, but my son wasn't getting service. She texted me back and said she'd heard from him.

I was watching a video on the Washington Post website watching the White House when the quake hit. There were federal agents on the rooftop almost immediately, probably about a dozen within seconds of the tremor. Very interesting.

The only earthquake I ever felt was a 4.8 in Oakland. Sounded as if a forklift was running on the floor above and the light fixtures started shaking. I missed the 1980 here, didn't feel it. When my daughter told me 5.8, I knew that was fairly sizeable particularly out east here.

GoReds
08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
6 miles as the crow flies from the reported epicenter (4 miles from nuclear power station).

Came home to find a few things knocked off shelves and broken, but no major damage. Power did not go out here, but a couple miles down the road, they are still without.

Mineral is a two stoplight town straight out of Mayberry. Nothing significant about it, but a nice town to pass through.

Cats are seriously freaked.

Gallen5862
08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I felt the earthquake as well.

KittyDuran
08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Felt nothing where I'm at in Sharonville. My mom called from Hamilton and asked if I felt it (she didn't). Wasn't aware until a co-worker randomly brought up the Enquirer page and it was breaking news.

HeatherC1212
08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Felt nothing where I'm at in Sharonville. My mom called from Hamilton and asked if I felt it (she didn't). Wasn't aware until a co-worker randomly brought up the Enquirer page and it was breaking news.

How did you not feel it?! I'm also in Sharonville and felt it while I was finishing up my lunch. The table started moving like someone was shaking it and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't realize it was an earthquake until I got back to my desk, was randomly checking Twitter, and saw all the earthquate updates. My coworkers all felt it but didn't realize what it was until I told them. First earthquake here that I've actually felt and it was really odd and I could definitely live the rest of my life not feeling one bigger than this one. :eek:

Rojo
08-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Evacuations? East Coast wimps.

marcshoe
08-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Didn't feel a thing here in Lincoln County, WV, but several people in the area did. I have noticed, though, that my right and left brains have switched sides, so that might have happened during the quake.

RichRed
08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
With this plus Irene bearing down on us, I think I'm going to get a head start on my weekend drinking.

Sea Ray
08-23-2011, 05:52 PM
With this plus Irene bearing down on us, I think I'm going to get a head start on my weekend drinking.

That's not a bad thing...:beerme:

edabbs44
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Was on the phone with someone in DC when it hit there. She hung up and evacuated. We felt in NY a couple of minutes later. Weird.

westofyou
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Aint it rich?

dougdirt
08-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Aint it rich?

Have to remember that our building codes aren't the same out here.... we don't build our building to withstand earthquakes.

westofyou
08-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Have to remember that our building codes aren't the same out here.... we don't build our building to withstand earthquakes.

All that brick is dangerous for sure.

Todd Gack
08-23-2011, 07:24 PM
FIRST PICTURES OF EARTHQUAKE DEVASTATION

http://spoonfighter.com/images/damage.jpg

Rojo
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
FIRST PICTURES OF EARTHQUAKE DEVASTATION

http://spoonfighter.com/images/damage.jpg

Actually that's the second.

When you think about it, it would take quite a shake to knock one of those over.

KittyDuran
08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
How did you not feel it?! I'm also in Sharonville and felt it while I was finishing up my lunch. The table started moving like someone was shaking it and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't realize it was an earthquake until I got back to my desk, was randomly checking Twitter, and saw all the earthquate updates. My coworkers all felt it but didn't realize what it was until I told them. First earthquake here that I've actually felt and it was really odd and I could definitely live the rest of my life not feeling one bigger than this one. :eek:

You got me... Leaving work I asked around the other offices and their answers were the same. Felt nothing and most were not aware until others notified them. So that leaves an earthquake in the early 70s as the only one that I ever felt.

GoReds
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Aftershock just rolled through. Mild - 4.2.

We were outside at the time. We could hear the rumble coming down the road and for several seconds after it passed. Wife is pretty freaked out by the whole deal.

bigredmechanism
08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
What was Dusty thinking :laugh:

redsmetz
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
One fascinating clip was on the Washington Post site showed the White House as the quake hits. Watch how quickly federal agents get out on the White House roof - within seconds of the first tremor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-earthquake-shakes-white-house-capitol/2011/08/23/gIQA7mARZJ_video.html

Slyder
08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Breaking News (for laughs):

Obama administration issued a statement on the Earth Quake. Apparently is was centered on a rare fault line known as the "Bush's Fault".

redsmetz
08-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Obama administration issued a statement on the Earth Quake. Apparently is was centered on a rare fault line known as the "Bush's Fault".

Boo! Take it to the other forum. :thumbdown:

RollyInRaleigh
08-24-2011, 08:32 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm not as testy as some. Thought it was funny, Slyder!

cumberlandreds
08-24-2011, 08:41 AM
I felt it. But I was in DC not all that far away from the center. I was out near the elevators on the floor I work and all at once everything started shaking. I thought a bomb had gone off in the bulding or near it. I ran back to my cube and grabbed my stuff and got out of the building. I was surprised they let us back in the building as quickly as they did. This happened about 10 minutes til 2 pm and they let back in just before 2:30. There are buildings still closed in DC this morning. The Washington Monument and Washington Cathederal had some damage. Some peoples homes had some damage. My didn't so I was lucky on that point. It just a while to get home last night. The subway was running on restricted speeds while they checked the tracks for damage. I think everyone left work at the same time too so the subway and the roads were packed with people getting home. That was certainly the heaviest earthquake I had felt. It did shake things up around the DC area.

reds1869
08-24-2011, 08:44 AM
:laugh:

It is a little amusing how much press it is getting. But as someone who has also experienced California quakes, I must say they just feel stronger over here on the right side of the map. Even the tiny one earlier in the year felt at least twice as strong as it would have out west. It is a combination of building standards and the older, denser crust in the east.

RBA
08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Boo! Take it to the other forum. :thumbdown:

:thumbup:

JaxRed
08-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I felt the earthquake as well.

I felt the earth move under my feet, I felt the sky tumbling down .

redsmetz
08-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I felt it. But I was in DC not all that far away from the center. I was out near the elevators on the floor I work and all at once everything started shaking. I thought a bomb had gone off in the bulding or near it. I ran back to my cube and grabbed my stuff and got out of the building. I was surprised they let us back in the building as quickly as they did. This happened about 10 minutes til 2 pm and they let back in just before 2:30. There are buildings still closed in DC this morning. The Washington Monument and Washington Cathederal had some damage. Some peoples homes had some damage. My didn't so I was lucky on that point. It just a while to get home last night. The subway was running on restricted speeds while they checked the tracks for damage. I think everyone left work at the same time too so the subway and the roads were packed with people getting home. That was certainly the heaviest earthquake I had felt. It did shake things up around the DC area.

Both my son & daughter walked home. My daughter generally walks to and from work most days anyway unless the weather's horrid. This was my son's first time walking home since he only started his job a few weeks ago. Only took him about 20 minutes, so it was a nice exercise (in more ways than one) seeing how long it takes anyway.

Redsfan320
08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I felt nothing in Oxford.

... and I found Slyder's joke pretty funny.

redsmetz
08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
I felt nothing in Oxford.

... and I found Slyder's joke pretty funny.

It's not a question as whether it was funny or not, the board now has a forum where political items (and yes, it was political) is supposed to go in the separate section for that sort of thing so has to not start things up in this area that has different guidelines. That was my point.

RBA
08-24-2011, 09:08 PM
It's not a question as whether it was funny or not, the board now has a forum where political items (and yes, it was political) is supposed to go in the separate section for that sort of thing so has to not start things up in this area that has different guidelines. That was my point.

This is true.

Sea Ray
08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Sure but it wasn't intended to begin a political discussion. It was just a joke.

redsmetz
08-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Sure but it wasn't intended to begin a political discussion. It was just a joke.

I didn't laugh.

Again, it's the reason such clearly political content is supposed to be posted elsewhere, where different discussion rules apply. The OP could have started a thread on earthquake political jokes (they have been across the spectrum politically), particularly given that no serious injuries occurred.

I'll leave it at that and move on.

GoReds
08-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Aftershock last night - 4.5.

So, now we have Irene to think about as well. Makes for a nice weekend.