PDA

View Full Version : Your 2012 Closer

redssince75
08-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Who will it be?

redssince75
08-24-2011, 08:44 AM
My bet is Chapman. Seems like a classic J.R. Richards, Rob Dibble type blow-em-away closer.

The DARK
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I'd look outside the org. Our options here aren't great... Masset is prone to blowups, Chapman would be better served in the rotation (and this season's total breakdown is concerning), Boxberger isn't ready, and Cordero is too expensive. I'd make a trade for a mid-level option or try to make a free agent signing in the offseason (K-Rod and Heath Bell may be a bit expensive, but they'd be upgrades for cheaper over what we're getting by picking up Cordero's option).

Old NDN
08-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I thought Masset. But his continued failures /inconsistency is unacceptable.

UCBrownsfan
08-24-2011, 11:40 AM
In my ideal world, we'd trade Cordero in a week, and bring Boxberger up 9/1 to do the closing to see what we've got in the kid.

2011 AA/AAA 57 IP 85 K's and .159 BA against That's pretty dominating.
His career minor leauge average is now 11.8 K/9, and 11.1 in AAA (22.2 IP)

Massett had a 6.4 K/9 for his minor league career, and 7.8 in AAA (112.2IP)

Ondrusek had a 6.8 K/9 for his minor league career, and 5.6 in AAA (41.2 IP)

RedsUp
08-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Chapman will definitely be stretch as a starter.
Coco should be back he is the man, that will allow the Reds to groom someone from the organisation.
I don't think we have that guy in the organisation now and a closer with experience from outside would be my choice.

Vottomatic
08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
I want Chapman in Louisville becoming a starter.

But I think the organization will go with him as closer next season.

I'd prefer seeing what Boxberger can do in September before handing it to Chapman.

Roush's socks
08-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I think they will have to sign someone. I don't see anyone in the org who could do it. Masset blew way too many games in his opportunities this year and doesn't even have a sub 3.00 ERA. I guess they could use Bray or Ondrusek but that would be a stretch.

As far as Chapman, what has he shown so far that would make us believe he could actually be the closer for a full season on a pennant caliber team? He can't handle pressure situations and that is what being a closer is all about. He needs to be a starter and that was his position in Cuba.

Hillsdale87
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Bray, Ondrusek, or Boxberger. I hate spending alot of money on a closer. If you see Boxberger as the future closer, it makes no sense to bring in a guy from the outside because anybody good will want a multi-year deal

DGullett35
08-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I think Chapman is going to be. Throws hard and heck he could even come in for the occasional 2 inning save

UCBrownsfan
08-24-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't get why people are so sure we don't have a future closer in the organization, I feel like we have a bunch.

Boxberger, Chapman, Bailey, Massett in that order for me.

redssince75
08-25-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't get why people are so sure we don't have a future closer in the organization

Actually only about one-quarter of the poll respondents are picking that option...so about 75% of the people agree with you. I'd say that's a very healthy/high agreement rate here on Ye Olde Sonne Decke.

Chris Sabowned
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/baseball/images/c/cincinnati_reds_edinson_volquez-438.jpg

He's got a great arm, but there isn't room for him in the rotation. If you try him out as closer, he can just focus on throwing two pitches, that should help is command.

He wouldn't be the first failed starter turned closer.

Eric Gagne, Joe Nathan, etc...

TigerNation10
08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/baseball/images/c/cincinnati_reds_edinson_volquez-438.jpg

He's got a great arm, but there isn't room for him in the rotation. If you try him out as closer, he can just focus on throwing two pitches, that should help is command.

He wouldn't be the first failed starter turned closer.

Eric Gagne, Joe Nathan, etc...

I'm in.

Roush's socks
08-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I think Chapman as closer would be a fail. The guy doesn't have any control and that isn't the place to learn. A pitcher with a 3.82 ERA and 30 BB's in 37 innings shouldn't be in the discussion as a closer for a potential pennant winning team. No way he would hold up for a complete season with that kind of pressure.

R_Webb18
08-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I think Chapman as closer would be a fail. The guy doesn't have any control and that isn't the place to learn. A pitcher with a 3.82 ERA and 30 BB's in 37 innings shouldn't be in the discussion as a closer for a potential pennant winning team. No way he would hold up for a complete season with that kind of pressure.

his era was so high pre dl.

R_Webb18
08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
also btw its better if he starts and goes 2 ip?