PDA

View Full Version : 100 Greatest Reds

Vottomatic
09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=AB&Dato=20110903&Kategori=SPT04&Lopenr=109030802&Ref=PH

Interesting.

drowg14
09-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Saw this in Sunday's paper. List more or less makes sense. Some of my thoughts.
I think my top three would be be rearranged, with Morgan behind Bench.
Does Bronson really belong on here?
I find it ironic that the one of the best players in the history of baseball is rated 59 for the Reds (Junior). If only the injury bug didn't bite.

But of course, what the hell do I know.

Roush's socks
09-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Pretty good list. They know Reds history and did a good job of including players from earlier teams. Bucky Walters is a good example of a dominant player who won MVP and was the best player on a WS champion team. Hard to argue with those credentials. The Reds have a such a long history that to make a list a list like this you really have to know it.

powersackers
09-09-2011, 03:13 AM
Why do they call WAR a "Q number"?

BluegrassRedleg
09-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Say what you will about Dunn, his flaws and what has happened to him this year, but he belonged MUCH higher on this list when you look at nothing but his production.

texasdave
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Why do they call WAR a "Q number"?

I didn't read the article but just guessing a "Q number" might stand for a quantity. Other "Q numbers" would be numbers of home runs, steals, wins etc.
As opposed to an "R number", which would stand for a rate. "R numbers" would include batting average, ERA, etc. Now most "R numbers" can go up or down depending on how well or how poorly the player is playing. "Q numbers" generally are accumulative and go up. You don't, for example, go from having 20 home runs to having 19 home runs. However, I do thing a player's WAR can fluctuate. It can go back down if the player is performing badly.

Or, I might just have no idea what I am talking about. :lol:

texasdave
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Say what you will about Dunn, his flaws and what has happened to him this year, but he belonged MUCH higher on this list when you look at nothing but his production.

I concur. I would take Dunn over a number of those other players in a deal straight up.

Roush's socks
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
If Dunn had been playing for the Reds during a better period I think his strengths would have been more appreciated, and his flaws less noticed. Then there will always be the critics who just can't get past his low BA and see all the value of HR's and BB's.