PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Question/Observation.

texasdave
09-05-2011, 11:57 PM
If the pitcher can appeal a checked swing that the home plate umpire calls a ball, then why can't a batter appeal a checked swing that the home plate umpire calls a strike?

I see no difference.

Girevik
09-06-2011, 08:45 AM
No player can appeal the call. The home plate umpire can ask for help from the base umpire, and the pitcher or catcher can request that he do so, but it is up to the home plate umpire to decide.

The assumption is that if he calls the strike, it was obvious that the batter went around and the umpire doesn't need the help. from the home plate upmire's position, I think it's far more likely that the mistake is on the side of calling a swing a check, rather than the other way around.

texasdave
09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
No player can appeal the call. The home plate umpire can ask for help from the base umpire, and the pitcher or catcher can request that he do so, but it is up to the home plate umpire to decide.

The assumption is that if he calls the strike, it was obvious that the batter went around and the umpire doesn't need the help. from the home plate upmire's position, I think it's far more likely that the mistake is on the side of calling a swing a check, rather than the other way around.

That still does not answer the question. If the pitcher/catcher can request the home umpire ask for help. Why can't the batter? It is obvious from watching replays on games that calls are missed on checked swings all the time. In the end, isn't the object of umpiring to get calls right?

Driver62
09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
It's because once an umpire calls a strike, it's a strike and the call will not change. It's the same as an umpire blowing a safe/out call. The call stands no matter how wrong or right he was. I'm not saying that's right but that's the way it is.

texasdave
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
So once a pitch is called a strike it cannot be changed. But if a pitch is called a ball it CAN be changed. That makes no sense.

drowg14
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
So once a pitch is called a strike it cannot be changed. But if a pitch is called a ball it CAN be changed. That makes no sense.

Unless I am mistaken the pitch isn't called a ball in the first place. The umpire asks for help in making his decision. He was unable to decide if the batter swung so he asks the 1st/3rd base umpire.

texasdave
09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Unless I am mistaken the pitch isn't called a ball in the first place. The umpire asks for help in making his decision. He was unable to decide if the batter swung so he asks the 1st/3rd base umpire.

Except that it is called a ball in the first place if the pitcher/catcher have to ask him to ask for help.

This is a rule that should go both ways but clearly doesn't.

smixsell
09-07-2011, 03:07 PM
It is because the HP umpire's primary duty on each pitch is to be carefully looking at the location of the pitch to call a ball or strike on the "taken" pitch. As a result of concentrating on the pitch location, he might easily fail to see it if the batter goes a bit too far with his swing.

However, when the HP umpire calls a strike based on a batter's swing, it is because the swing was big enough that he saw the swing despite carefully watching the pitch location.

Or in other words, the called swing was obvious, seen by the HP ump despite him concentrating on pitch location, and therefore not a "close" or "debatable" call. The "no call" is the opposite. The HP ump can easily miss a check swing going too far and "wrongly" call a ball because he is focused on pitch location.

Hope this makes sense. (Old catcher here--this IS the reason for the "one way appealability") :o)

Cheers.

texasdave
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
With all due respect it seems fair, and shouldn't sports be played on a level field anyway, that if the pitcher/catcher can ask for an appeal; that the batter is afforded the same privilege. Just sayin'.