PDA

View Full Version : Adam Jones?

Vottomatic
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm looking around the league for a legit cleanup hitter. I wish we had acquired Matt Kemp last year when he had an off year.

But I'm looking at Kemp's progression to greatness, and Adam Jones is on a similar path. It's not quite as impressive, but his power numbers and average have increased every year. He will be 26 soon and has been in the league since he was 21. Trending upward and hitting his prime..........probably on pace for 25 to 28 HR's this year.

He hasn't put up MVP numbers yet like Kemp did this year, but might be on the verge of breaking out. He is righthanded too. Has stolen 11 bases and been caught only once. Has struck out a little just over 100 times so far.

I'd be interested. Especially if we're keeping Votto.

Vottomatic
09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Another guy I'd like to pursue is rightfielder Mike Stanton of the Marlins. He's only 21, is in his second season, and has already hit 54 major league HR's (32 this year), with a career batting average of .260. He is right handed and could hit behind Votto.

Trade Alonso and Stubbs for him. Stanton was a 2nd round pick. We trade them 2 first rounders. Plus Alonso if from Florida. Gives them an outfielder to replace Stanton, and a Larry Walker type hitter in Alonso.

Solves the cleanup spot. And then we stick Sappelt in the leadoff spot.

CF Sappelt
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Stanton
RF Bruce
C Mesoraco
3B Rolen/Francisco
SS Cozart

texasdave
09-07-2011, 07:13 PM
What would consider a fair exchange? Or who would you send back?

Hillsdale87
09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I think Stanton would cost more than Stubbs and Alonso. Stanton is a monster and very young. I like Stubbs and I like Alonso's potential, but Stanton is already one of the best power hitters in the game. But if the Marlins were actually interested in that deal, I would be thrilled

brm7675
09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Another guy I'd like to pursue is rightfielder Mike Stanton of the Marlins. He's only 21, is in his second season, and has already hit 54 major league HR's (32 this year), with a career batting average of .260. He is right handed and could hit behind Votto.

Trade Alonso and Stubbs for him. Stanton was a 2nd round pick. We trade them 2 first rounders. Plus Alonso if from Florida. Gives them an outfielder to replace Stanton, and a Larry Walker type hitter in Alonso.

CF Sappelt
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Stanton
RF Bruce
C Mesoraco
3B Rolen/Francisco
SS Cozart

Fish going into new stadium, they will be buyers in teh offseason not sellers they have to do this with what they are getting in a new stadium.

izzy's dad
09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I like Adam Jones. Much better bat than Stubbs. Would likely see a bump in his offensive numbers coming the the N.L. and playing half of his games in GABP. The Orioles look like they could use a first baseman. Just so happens the Reds have a young first baseman that could fill that need. The only problem I see with this is that Jones is going to command a much higher salary than Stubbs. If we trade for Jones, we can pretty much kiss Brandon Phillips goodbye.

bounty37h
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
PacMan, isn't he more of Bengal type than a Red :)

DGullett35
09-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Adam Jones would be a good fit in my opinion. We need a RH bat and he has some power, but what about Magglio Ordonez? He's a FA after the season and I know he hasn't done much the last couple years but maybe he needs a change of scenery. Good RH with power esp. at GABP. has to be better than playing at Comerica

Krawhitham
09-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Fish going into new stadium, they will be buyers in teh offseason not sellers they have to do this with what they are getting in a new stadium.

A new stadium will not make the people show up, well it might for one season just to look at the new diggs

People in Florida just do not seem to care about Major League Baseball. If you combined the Rays & Marlins attendance numbers they would still only be 10th best in baseball

Nathan
09-11-2011, 03:32 AM

CF Sappelt
2B Phillips
1B Votto
LF Stanton
RF Bruce
C Mesoraco
3B Rolen/Francisco
SS Cozart

No offense, but trying to get Stanton would be like someone trying to get Mes. It's going to take a HUGE overpay to even start the conversation.

Vottomatic
09-12-2011, 06:42 PM
No offense, but trying to get Stanton would be like someone trying to get Mes. It's going to take a HUGE overpay to even start the conversation.

I'd overpay. We have the prospects to overpay.

texasdave
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd overpay. We have the prospects to overpay.

Overpaying for Stanton makes too much sense. Besides, you aren't Walt. You know the drill. "There was nothing out there that made any sense for us. I am happy with my team." As if watching an entire season go up in smoke, and doing absolutely nothing about it, makes any sense.

Vottomatic
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Marlins have the 5th worst record in the NL right now and are in last place in their division. Obviously, they have alot of needs.

Hanley Ramirez had a mediocre season by his standards before ending his season on the DL in early August with a shoulder problem.

Josh Johnson had his season end early back in May with a shoulder problem.

Their starting rotation, outside of Anibel Sanchez, is loaded with struggling rookie pitchers, or older retreads that aren't getting it done. I'd say beyond Sanchez and Nolasco, they need starting pitching.

Outside of Mike Stanton, they need outfielders too. They have guys playing the outfield that are typically infielders.

Don't kid yourself. The last place Marlins have plenty of needs. Classic case of giving up one guy for many additional pieces might be the way to go for them.

drowg14
09-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Would it be easier to go for Hanley and stash him out in left, then try and get Stanton?