PDA

View Full Version : 3 Bold Predictions for 2011

edabbs44
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Here are mine:

1) 2011 Saves: (Masset + Chapman) > Cordero

2) Alonso is still in the organization on August 1st...Mesoraco is not.

3) We see Strasburg on the field in 2011 before Chase Utley.

* Bonus - A "Heisey vs Gomes" thread is started before May 1. ;)

Redsfan320
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
1) One of Heisey/Sappelt has the LF and leadoff job locked down by August.

2) Mesoraco starts off big, makes it to MLB, Hernandez is traded/released.

3) Brandon Phillips comes up big in a contract year.

On another note with the catchers, what about, if for the next couple years, we keep Hernandez around in Corky's role and dump Corky. I love the stache, but it seems like Hernandez could fill his role with a good bit more offensive production.

Edd Roush
03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
On another note with the catchers, what about, if for the next couple years, we keep Hernandez around in Corky's role and dump Corky. I love the stache, but it seems like Hernandez could fill his role with a good bit more offensive production.

Hernandez is no doubt the better of the two players, but he would likely not accept a demotion to AAA and I hope the Reds don't carry 3 catchers.

That being said, having Hernandez as the C/1B, is about as desirable as keeping Cairo on the bench to be 3b/1b. That being said, if Mes tears up AAA for a few months, the Reds will likely deal Hernandez as he is definitely a starting catcher in the major leagues,

Ghosts of 1990
03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
1) Cordero is not a Red by season's end

2) Jay Bruce tops the 30 home run plateau

3) Someone in baseball has a 40 game hitting streak

Degenerate39
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Votto wins back to back MVPs.

Dunn hits 50 home runs.

There will be five or more perfect games during season and post season

Griffey012
03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
1.) Cordero bounces back and has a solid season giving us one heck of a bullpen.
2.) Jay Bruce finishes top 10 in MVP voting.
3.) Scott Rolen does not play 100 games

BearcatShane
03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Reds fail to win 70 games

Jay Bruce posts an OPS below .700

Johnny Cueto and Homer Bailey combine to make less than 6 starts

WVRedsFan
03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Here are mine:

1) 2011 Saves: (Masset + Chapman) > Cordero

Not gonna happen. Coco is Dusty's closer regardless of what happens.2) Alonso is still in the organization on August 1st...Mesoraco is not.

That depends entirely on Hernandez's health

3) We see Strasburg on the field in 2011 before Chase Utley.

Might be right...

Fer Sure

WVRedsFan
03-29-2011, 05:21 PM
1) Cordero is not a Red by season's end

2) Jay Bruce tops the 30 home run plateau

3) Someone in baseball has a 40 game hitting streakI hope all three of these come true (especially if No. 3 is a Red)

membengal
03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Bruce leaps to 40-HR level, OPS of 1.000 and finishes second in MVP voting.

Gomes defies most of us and turns in a season worthy of starting most of the time, OPSing about .835 and hitting 27 HR.

Sam Lecure, not Mike Leake, is the one who solidifies the rotation in August when one Volquez implodes for the last time and is demoted to the bullpen.

mth123
03-29-2011, 07:17 PM
1. Juan Francisco gets 300 ABs with 15 HR and an OPS above .800 solidifying the offense and offsetting the drop from Rolen.

2. Paul Janish fails to OPS above .600 and is replaced by Zach Cozart mid season who hits 8 HR and steals 10 bases with an OPS above .750 in the second half with no noticable drop-off defensively.

3. With an eye toward spending his golden years with his family, Walt Jocketty announces his resignation effective at the end of 2011 and Bill Bavasi is named as his replacement.

reds44
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
I've got Heisey hitting 20+ homers.

OnBaseMachine
03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
1. A Reds pitcher throws a no-hitter this season.

2. Jay Bruce hits 35+ homers and finishes top 5 in NL MVP voting.

3. Dave Sappelt is called up by June and gets the majority of the playing time in LF.

Joseph
03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Brandon Phillips will be an MVP candidate with 26hrs, 109 RBI and a .340 average

OldXOhio
03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
1. Bronson wins no more than 10 games
2. BP is traded before the Sept 1 deadline
3. Rolen plays less than 100 games

Mario-Rijo
03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
#1 - Devin Mesoraco wins NL ROY
#2 - Travis Wood and Mike Leake combine to win 30 games
#3 - The Reds win the NL Pennant

GOYA
03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Homer throws a no-hitter

Francisco hits one in the top row of the RF bleachers

Janish ends the season with above average offense by a SS but won't be qualified because of lack of ABs (ok, that's not so bold)

camisadelgolf
03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
1.) Ramon Hernandez is traded.
2.) Aroldis Chapman starts the conversion to starter around August.
3.) The Cubs finish better than fourth place.

Captain Hook
03-29-2011, 09:36 PM
1) Zach Greinke won't reach double digits in wins

2)Cardinals will loose 90 games

3)The Cubs will be the Reds biggest competition for the Central

PuffyPig
03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
1) One of Heisey/Sappelt has the LF and leadoff job locked down by August.

2) Mesoraco starts off big, makes it to MLB, Hernandez is traded/released.

3) Brandon Phillips comes up big in a contract year.

It's not a contract year for Brandon. Reds hold an option.

RED VAN HOT
03-29-2011, 10:28 PM
1. Heisey becomes starting LF'er and hits 20 HR's
2. Chapman is inconsistent as a reliever and is sent to Louisville to work on starting
3. The replacement for an injured Rolen ends up being Frazier and not Francisco

marcshoe
03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Reds fail to win 70 games

But they win the other 92, right?

Griffey012
03-29-2011, 10:32 PM
1) Zach Greinke won't reach double digits in wins

2)Cardinals will loose 90 games

3)The Cubs will be the Reds biggest competition for the Central

I agree with number 3, I feel the Cubs are getting over looked for the first time in a while, usually they are getting more attention than they deserve. However if Colvin is going to be their 4th Outfielder they don't deserve it.

marcshoe
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
1. Performance of young players such as Brandon Belt, Bryce Harper, and Devin Mes will bring back memories of Space Jam's Monstars.

2. The rest of the division turns out to be really, really bad. Pirates quietly sneak into third place.

3. Oakland's Gio Gonzalez finishes top five in Cy Young.

03-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Reds Edition

1) Joey Votto will not be the Reds best hitter.

2) Mike Leake will be the Reds best pitcher of whose on the team now.

3) The Reds will acquire a true Ace by the trading deadline.

03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
MLB Edition

1) The Phillies will not win the NL East.

2) The Mariners will be this year's Reds.

3) The Yankees will not make the playoffs.

Ghosts of 1990
03-29-2011, 11:59 PM
1. Bronson wins no more than 10 games
2. BP is traded before the Sept 1 deadline
3. Rolen plays less than 100 games

I have a funny feeling BP and Cordero are gone by seasons end. Thats why I want to win early, especially in the case of BP. I don't want him anywhere else for as long as possible.

RedsManRick
03-30-2011, 01:40 AM
The Reds
1. Janish OPSs .700+
2. Votto doesn't hit .300
3. Masset leads the team in saves

Rest of MLB
1. Rays have better record than Yankees
2. Texas barely clears .500
3. Adam Dunn hits 50 HR

Ron Madden
03-30-2011, 04:37 AM
The Reds
Travis Wood will put up better numbers than anyone in the rotation.
Dusty will waste the offensive talent of Jay Bruce because he hits LH.
Rolen will appear in 121 games but will only start 96 games and hit 4th.
Joey Votto will suffer from lineup construction and go 287/347/507.

MLB
The Braves will battle the Phillies down to the wire and might beat'em.
The Boston Red Sox will win the most regular season games in 2011.
Adam Dunn will hit at least 35 HRs.

JMHO

Benihana
03-30-2011, 08:39 AM
1. Mesoraco starts very slow in Louisville before rebounding mid-summer
2. Jay Bruce hits more HR than Joey Votto
3. Andre Ethier is the starting LF for the Reds by August

Unfortunate Bonus: the Cubs will be much better than anyone expects

Ghosts of 1990
03-30-2011, 09:54 AM

That would be too good to be true. Man this would be perfect.

Benihana
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
That would be too good to be true. Man this would be perfect.

The wheels could be in motion:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/03/ethier-wont-be-surprised-if-hes-not-in-la-next-year.html

I wouldn't be surprised if the LF void proves costly to see the Reds deal some of their excess for Ethier at some point this summer.

Of course, a few not-too-farfetched things would need to happen between now and then:

1. The Dodgers fall out of contention by July.
2. Alonso either cannot field enough or hit enough in the bigs to be the answer in LF.
3. Sappelt drops off from his ST/2010 line
4. Neither Hermida, Lewis, nor Gomes prove to be an adequate solution.
5. The pitchers regain health and either Bailey or Volquez emerges as a true #1, leaving room to deal someone like Leake for Ethier. The Reds could then be forced to choose between paying Ethier or Phillips $12MM in 2012.

If not Ethier, I wouldn't mind seeing Kemp in LF either. Regardless, the Reds and Dodgers could match up well at some point this summer.

And if not Kemp or Ethier, give me Jose Reyes at some point this summer.

edabbs44
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
The wheels could be in motion:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/03/ethier-wont-be-surprised-if-hes-not-in-la-next-year.html

I wouldn't be surprised if the LF void proves costly to see the Reds deal some of their excess for Ethier at some point this summer.

Of course, a few not-too-farfetched things would need to happen between now and then:

1. The Dodgers fall out of contention by July.
2. Alonso either cannot field enough or hit enough in the bigs to be the answer in LF.
3. Sappelt drops off from his ST/2010 line
4. Neither Hermida, Lewis, nor Gomes prove to be an adequate solution.
5. The pitchers regain health and either Bailey or Volquez emerges as a true #1, leaving room to deal someone like Leake for Ethier. The Reds could then be forced to choose between paying Ethier or Phillips $12MM in 2012.

If not Ethier, I wouldn't mind seeing Kemp in LF either. Regardless, the Reds and Dodgers could match up well at some point this summer.

And if not Kemp or Ethier, give me Jose Reyes at some point this summer.

Kemp and Reyes...not sure that they would fit in the clubhouse with what they have shown regarding attitude. Maybe they would feed off the other guys, but at this point I don't see WJ going after either of them.

cincrazy
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
1. The Brewers and Cardinals are both derailed by injuries, poor defense, and the circus that becomes Fielder's and Pujols' contract situations.

2. The Reds win less games than last year, and still take the division before getting handled in the first round of the playoffs by a team with superior starting pitching.

3. The Phillies do NOT win the NL East. Their age and injuries keep them from being the regular season juggernaut most expect, and the "Four Aces" theory goes out the window when Oswalt and Lee have back trouble and prove to be human.

Benihana
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Kemp and Reyes...not sure that they would fit in the clubhouse with what they have shown regarding attitude. Maybe they would feed off the other guys, but at this point I don't see WJ going after either of them.

Maybe you're right, but to my original prediction, Ethier would. He's supposed to be a super guy.

Strikes Out Looking
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
1. Jay Bruce finishes higher in the MVP voting than Joey Votto -- they both finish in the top 10.
2. Travis Wood wins 17 games and becomes the ace of the staff.
3. St. Louis gets into a clubhouse clearing brawl -- with themselves. Additionally, as the season lingers on whispers begin to appear in the St. Louis papers about a certain 1b and PEDs. Finally, Chris Carpenter is unable to explain any of it to his son.

OnBaseMachine
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM

I actually considered making this one of my bold predictions too. After reading that piece on MLBtraderumors, if Gomes struggles and the Reds want someone proven out there instead of a young guy like Sappelt, I could see the Reds going after Ethier.

edabbs44
03-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I actually considered making this one of my bold predictions too. After reading that piece on MLBtraderumors, if Gomes struggles and the Reds want someone proven out there instead of a young guy like Sappelt, I could see the Reds going after Ethier.

Food for thought for those who buy into UZR:

Ethier is not valued too highly out in the field. If not the worst in the league, he's right there.

cumberlandreds
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Here's mine all Reds related:

1. Chapman will be the closer by the all star break.

2. Sappelt will be leading off by the 4th of July,maybe sooner.

3. The Reds make a blockbuster trade to pick up TOR pitcher. Saying that I don't who may be available. I have a feeling all of this talent in minors is goping to pay a dividend in a really good starting pitcher.

Will M
03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Ethier is on my fantasy team. I didn't read the piece on MLB Trade Rumors but was looking at Ethier yesterday & I too said "maybe he becomes a Red due to the Dodgers situation". Its kind of funny that so many RedsZone members are all thinking the same thing.

My predictions:
1) Both Alonso & Meseraco are on the Reds or traded by mid season.
2) Heisey is the Reds starting left fielder by May 15th.
3) Francisco gets 300 PAs this year as a Red.

Chip R
03-30-2011, 12:37 PM

Sure you don't mean April 1? ;)

RedsManRick
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Either would be a nice addition, but there's no way the Reds take on his salary without shedding some. We'd have to ship out Cordero, Arroyo or Phillips to make that work, but only Cordero makes sense and he's not part of the payroll next year so the savings would be limited.

Caveat Emperor
03-30-2011, 01:35 PM
1.) Sam LeCure + Matt Maloney combine for 30 starts.

2.) Drew Stubbs struggles the entire season at the plate and hits under .230.

3.) Devin Mesoraco is the team's everyday catcher, spelled ocassionally by Hanigan, by seasons' end, and Yonder Alonso is the team's starting LF.

Benihana
03-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Either would be a nice addition, but there's no way the Reds take on his salary without shedding some. We'd have to ship out Cordero, Arroyo or Phillips to make that work, but only Cordero makes sense and he's not part of the payroll next year so the savings would be limited.

I think they could take him on for the last two months of the season (<$3MM to the Reds) without shedding anything substantial- especially if Cast is "serious about winning" and this puts them over the edge. As far as next year goes, they lose Cordero but will still likely have to choose between keeping Ethier or Phillips at $12MM for the year. There could be worse choices to make.

GoReds
03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
1. Jay Bruce struggles for the first half of the year, but still manages 25HR by year's end.

2. Edinson Volquez also starts slowly, but becomes the TOR guy the Reds need by the ASB. He wins 20 and is in the top-5 for Cy.

3. Chris Carpenter is traded to the Yankees near the trade deadline as the Cards fall out of contention early. This is just part of the Cards implosion that also results in the Redbirds being forced to trade Colby Rasmus. Albert Pujols contract issues dog the Cardinals all year and reaches a boiling point as the trade deadline approaches.

RedsManRick
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I think they could take him on for the last two months of the season (<$3MM to the Reds) without shedding anything substantial- especially if Cast is "serious about winning" and this puts them over the edge. As far as next year goes, they lose Cordero but will still likely have to choose between keeping Ethier or Phillips at $12MM for the year. There could be worse choices to make.

I agree. But I don't think we'd give up much value for a rental. That's not Jocketty's style. And in terms of being forced to choose between Phillips and Ethier, we've got more options in LF than we do at 2B, unless Valaika or Negron really perform well this year.

Also, I haven't seen Ethier play much, so I can't attest to his defense, but UZRs of -8.3, -13.5, and -15.4 suggest to me that he's not an OF. And to top it off, he's a lefty, making us even more lefty heavy.

In a bubble I like the idea. But the more I look at it, the less sense it makes.

03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Ethier isn't all that great. He's a poor OF with a career .856 OPS and an expensive contract. At best, he's a league average LF, which, imo, isn't worth a lot more than what the Reds already have. I wouldn't want the Reds to give up much talent to get him.

03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
1. Jay Bruce struggles for the first half of the year, but still manages 25HR by year's end.

2. Edinson Volquez also starts slowly, but becomes the TOR guy the Reds need by the ASB. He wins 20 and is in the top-5 for Cy.

3. Chris Carpenter is traded to the Yankees near the trade deadline as the Cards fall out of contention early. This is just part of the Cards implosion that also results in the Redbirds being forced to trade Colby Rasmus. Albert Pujols contract issues dog the Cardinals all year and reaches a boiling point as the trade deadline approaches.

These sound the most likely of all the ones I've read so far.

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
1. The Reds will make a major trade this summer prior to the trading deadline to finally bring that legit No. 1 starter to Cincinnati

2. Brandon Phillips will have a monster season

3. The Rockies will be in the NLCS

bucksfan2
03-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I agree. But I don't think we'd give up much value for a rental. That's not Jocketty's style. And in terms of being forced to choose between Phillips and Ethier, we've got more options in LF than we do at 2B, unless Valaika or Negron really perform well this year.

Also, I haven't seen Ethier play much, so I can't attest to his defense, but UZRs of -8.3, -13.5, and -15.4 suggest to me that he's not an OF. And to top it off, he's a lefty, making us even more lefty heavy.

In a bubble I like the idea. But the more I look at it, the less sense it makes.

I love the idea of Either. And if it were up to me I would replace Either with Phillips in a heart beat. I think Either is trending the right direction while I think Phillips is trending in the wrong direction. I also think its easier to find a suitable replacement at 2b than it is to find an impact OF bat.

I would agree that the Reds would be LH heavy but I with Votto that evens out. Votto hits both hands equally well so I don't think its much of an issue. I could live with a line up of Bruce-Votto-Rolen-Either 2-3-4-5 because of Votto's ability to hit LHP's. Now if you insert Francisco into the lineup as a replacement for Rolen it would get interesting.

medford
03-30-2011, 04:01 PM
1) Bruce jumps out to a hot start, and makes the All Star team. Slows a bit as the season wears on, but still tops 35 homers and a .900 OPS.

2) Aroldis Chapman hits 107 on a juiced up scoreboard radar reading sometime in June or July. A segment of "The art of the game" with Chris Welsh is lated taped where Arolids explains his technique. Chris Carpentar's son is forced to watch.

3) Pujols is traded to the Yankees in by the trading deadline.

03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
I love the idea of Either. And if it were up to me I would replace Either with Phillips in a heart beat. I think Either is trending the right direction while I think Phillips is trending in the wrong direction. I also think its easier to find a suitable replacement at 2b than it is to find an impact OF bat.

Phillips, even with his injury late in the year, improved his WAR from 3 to 4 last year. Either has been trending downward from 3.4 to 2.7 to 2.2 for last year, and that has been a result of both his offense and his defense.

Also, there were 7 above average 2B in the majors last year. There were 7 impact bats who can play outfield in the NL West last year.

Ghosts of 1990
03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
1. The Reds will make a major trade this summer prior to the trading deadline to finally bring that legit No. 1 starter to Cincinnati

2. Brandon Phillips will have a monster season

3. The Rockies will be in the NLCS

Who will we be giving up?

For those saying Ethier is coming here too.. who is the trading chip? Leake?

Benihana
03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
For those saying Ethier is coming here too.. who is the trading chip? Leake?

Could be Leake, Alonso, Francisco, or even Grandal- who knows? I'll go with one of those four for now.

hebroncougar
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
1. The Yankees will miss the playoffs. (Pitching won't hold up)

2. Jay Bruce will hit more than 40 HR's.

3. The Phillies will miss the playoffs. (Utley breaks down further, and their lineup is way, way overrated).

Homer Bailey
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
1. Jay Bruce hits 42 home runs

2. Juan Francisco hits more home runs than Scott Rolen

3. No Reds starter wins more than 14 games.

MrCinatit
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Reds related:

1) Chapman will break his own major league record for fastest pitch thrown in a game. Three times.
2) Mesoraco will share starting catching duties by the end of the year.
3) The Reds will win the division

MLB related:

1) At least five managers will be fired before season's end. At least one of them will be a New York manager. Yes, Joe will be one of those.
2) Not only will neither NY team make the playoffs, neither will finish above .500.
3) Jeter will prove that last season was not only not a fluke, but that old age is catching up with him. Still, he will win a Gold Glove.

Benihana
03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Could be Leake, Alonso, Francisco, or even Grandal- who knows? I'll go with one of those four for now.

I'll add Sappelt and LaMarre to the list of trade candidates as well.

MikeThierry
04-01-2011, 05:32 AM
1. Oakland A's win the AL West
2. Matt Holliday becomes the NL MVP
3. Kyle McClellan wins 18 games.

Redsfan320
04-01-2011, 08:49 AM
2. Matt Holliday becomes the NL MVP
3. Kyle McClellan wins 18 games.

April Fools! ;)

bucksfan2
04-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Phillips, even with his injury late in the year, improved his WAR from 3 to 4 last year. Either has been trending downward from 3.4 to 2.7 to 2.2 for last year, and that has been a result of both his offense and his defense.

Also, there were 7 above average 2B in the majors last year. There were 7 impact bats who can play outfield in the NL West last year.

Im really not a huge fan of WAR comparisons. IMO they are too skewed towards the defensive end of the game. When you have a good defensive player at a position it will inflate his WAR when comparing it to other players.

There is no doubt that Either has a better bat than Phillips. And if you move Either to LF his defense won't be as big of a hindrance as it was out in RF. I also think its much easier to find a replaceable 2b than it is to find an impact bat. Phillips is an enigma to me. Nice pop for a 2b, great D, not good against RHP, and doesn't carry a good OBP. If you were able to replace Phillips with a guy who wasn't as good on D, didn't have as much power, but had a better OBP it may just fit the lineup better. It may allow you to drop Stubbs in the lineup to take advantage of his power.

Its easy to make comparisons based upon isloating two players. But the reality is its how each player fits into the grand scheme of the team. IMO Either in LF + Valakia/Frazier/etc. at 2B is better than Gomes in LF and Phillips at 2b.

mth123
04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
A lot of these predictions are very similar which would make them not so bold IMO. Gave my Reds predictions earlier (at least one is pretty bold I'd say), Here are some for the rest of baseball with an eye on boldness:

AL
1. Adam Dunn leads the AL in HR and RBI and wins the MVP with the White Sox winning the Central.

2. Trevor Cahill wins the AL Cy Young award and leads the A's to the AL West title and ultimately an appearance in the World Series.

3. Derek Jeter quiets his critics with a huge comeback season and wins the AL Batting Title with an average above .350

NL

1. Seth Smith makes a Cargo like improvement in 2011 and teams with Cargo and Tulo as top 10 guys for the MVP award and the Rockies run away with the NL West and best record in the NL.

2. The Cardinals are out of the race by the All Star break and not only is Carpenter dealt at the deadline, but Pujols relents with his threat to void any trade and is dealt to an AL team and the Cards ride the young acquisitions to the best record in the NL in September.

3. The New York Mets fail to win 60 games.

World Series Champ - The Colorado Rockies.

GOYA
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Homer throws a no-hitter

Francisco hits one in the top row of the RF bleachers

Janish ends the season with above average offense by a SS but won't be qualified because of lack of ABs (ok, that's not so bold)

Close on the second one. :D

Rojo
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Oops, wrong year.

RedsManRick
09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
The Reds
1. Janish OPSs .700+

Rest of MLB
3. Adam Dunn hits 50 HR

And in the 0/6 category, we have RMR!

cincrazy
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
1. The Brewers and Cardinals are both derailed by injuries, poor defense, and the circus that becomes Fielder's and Pujols' contract situations.

2. The Reds win less games than last year, and still take the division before getting handled in the first round of the playoffs by a team with superior starting pitching.

3. The Phillies do NOT win the NL East. Their age and injuries keep them from being the regular season juggernaut most expect, and the "Four Aces" theory goes out the window when Oswalt and Lee have back trouble and prove to be human.

I spent the majority of this thread making fun of the rest of you. Then I stumbled upon this.

Whoops.

mdccclxix
09-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't feel bad, in a thread like this you're bound to look sour later. We can't all be:

http://images.billoreilly.com/imagesproc/24258_H_SW350.jpg

medford
09-13-2011, 01:46 PM
1) Bruce jumps out to a hot start, and makes the All Star team. Slows a bit as the season wears on, but still tops 35 homers and a .900 OPS.

2) Aroldis Chapman hits 107 on a juiced up scoreboard radar reading sometime in June or July. A segment of "The art of the game" with Chris Welsh is lated taped where Arolids explains his technique. Chris Carpentar's son is forced to watch.

3) Pujols is traded to the Yankees in by the trading deadline.

1) not exactly true, but he did get the all star bid, 35 homers is w/n range, don't know about the OPS, haven't paid much attention lately, I assume he's not going to make that mark.

2) If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does Chris Carpenter complain about the lack of living space for squirrels, birds and his SS's glove selection?

3) 0.5 out of 3 puts me on par with Adam Dunn this season :)

Homer Bailey
09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
1. Jay Bruce hits 42 home runs

2. Juan Francisco hits more home runs than Scott Rolen

3. No Reds starter wins more than 14 games.

1. Not quite. 42? Really? I said that? And I preached about having reasonable expectations for the kid? Shame on me.

2. Get hot Juan! (Last night's homer should count as 2 though).

3. Easy money there.

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
1.) Sam LeCure + Matt Maloney combine for 30 starts.

2.) Drew Stubbs struggles the entire season at the plate and hits under .230.

3.) Devin Mesoraco is the team's everyday catcher, spelled ocassionally by Hanigan, by seasons' end, and Yonder Alonso is the team's starting LF.

1.) Nope -- though Volquez and Wood both tanked, the starts fell to Willis and Leake

2.) Drew Stubbs is at .249 -- he could come close if he went into a huge tailspin, but I think even he's safe from this one.

3.) Whiff on this one as well.

membengal
09-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Bruce leaps to 40-HR level, OPS of 1.000 and finishes second in MVP voting.

Gomes defies most of us and turns in a season worthy of starting most of the time, OPSing about .835 and hitting 27 HR.

Sam Lecure, not Mike Leake, is the one who solidifies the rotation in August when one Volquez implodes for the last time and is demoted to the bullpen.

No, no, and no,

_Sir_Charles_
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
And in the 0/6 category, we have RMR!

LOL. :clap: :clap: Give the man a hand folks! :O) :p

Btw...don't feel too bad. Look at my sig. LOL.

RedsManRick
09-13-2011, 04:10 PM
LOL. :clap: :clap: Give the man a hand folks! :O) :p

Btw...don't feel too bad. Look at my sig. LOL.

I did predict Arizona would win the NL West, so I guess this blind squirrel found at least one nut.

mth123
09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
1. Juan Francisco gets 300 ABs with 15 HR and an OPS above .800 solidifying the offense and offsetting the drop from Rolen.

2. Paul Janish fails to OPS above .600 and is replaced by Zach Cozart mid season who hits 8 HR and steals 10 bases with an OPS above .750 in the second half with no noticable drop-off defensively.

3. With an eye toward spending his golden years with his family, Walt Jocketty announces his resignation effective at the end of 2011 and Bill Bavasi is named as his replacement.

No because of injury. Yes on Janish and no to Cozart because of injury.

Still TBD on Jocketty.

Captain Hook
09-13-2011, 07:27 PM
The Reds
1. Janish OPSs .700+

Rest of MLB
3. Adam Dunn hits 50 HR

At least I was only 0-3.We're all pretty bad though.:laugh:

This should be done every year.If the Reds had actually been good many of the predictions would've come true so it's all their fault.

marcshoe
09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
1. Performance of young players such as Brandon Belt, Bryce Harper, and Devin Mes will bring back memories of Space Jam's Monstars.

2. The rest of the division turns out to be really, really bad. Pirates quietly sneak into third place.

3. Oakland's Gio Gonzalez finishes top five in Cy Young.

Number one doesn't sound like anything I'd ever say. At best, I was a year early, but I think what really happened was that Anthony Wiener hacked my account.

I was close with #2, but then the expected collapse came and the Pirates ended up looking worse than ever, almost. McCutcheon's still one of my favorite non-Reds.

Gio might have made it if he hadn't had a recent bad spell. He was playing with the AL ERA lead for a while, I think, but has pitched poorly lately.

At least I missed in different ways than most. 'course on Twitter I picked Bruce and Dunn as MVP's.

Ron Madden
09-14-2011, 04:45 AM
The Reds
Travis Wood will put up better numbers than anyone in the rotation.
Dusty will waste the offensive talent of Jay Bruce because he hits LH.
Rolen will appear in 121 games but will only start 96 games and hit 4th.
Joey Votto will suffer from lineup construction and go 287/347/507.

MLB
The Braves will battle the Phillies down to the wire and might beat'em.
The Boston Red Sox will win the most regular season games in 2011.
Adam Dunn will hit at least 35 HRs.

JMHO

It seems my crystal ball may have been Just A Bit Cloudy(or covered with dust) :laugh:

hebroncougar
09-14-2011, 09:05 AM
1. The Yankees will miss the playoffs. (Pitching won't hold up)

2. Jay Bruce will hit more than 40 HR's.

3. The Phillies will miss the playoffs. (Utley breaks down further, and their lineup is way, way overrated).

I must have been drinking..........heavily.

reds44
09-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I had Heisey hitting 20 homers.

Not bad.