PDA

View Full Version : Wow...the Blue Jays Owned the Reds on the Rolen Trade

IWasBornInCincy
09-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Jays Got a a better Third basemen out of the deal, saved around 20 million dollars and netted Zach Stewart. The Reds got the worst 3B in the game and got to spend an extra 16 million bucks...oh and we get Rolens (lack of) services in 2012 too. Fantastic

Stray
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Scott Rolen, the worst 3rd baseman in all of baseball.

Learn something everyday lol.

IWasBornInCincy
09-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Name a worst third Basemen this season.

brm7675
09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Jays Got a a better Third basemen out of the deal, saved around 20 million dollars and netted Zach Stewart. The Reds got the worst 3B in the game and got to spend an extra 16 million bucks...oh and we get Rolens (lack of) services in 2012 too. Fantastic

So you don't think Rolen was key to last years division championship?

brm7675
09-23-2011, 05:12 PM

worse how? Are you saying all around, hitting/fielding? Yes at the plate this season rolen struggled due to health, but you can't even think he wasn't a plus in the field when he played?

Did Rolen steal you lunch money when you were in school?

IWasBornInCincy
09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
So that's your thing, hu? Any time anyone criticizes any reds for horrible play...you counter with a "Did (Insert Player) steal your lunch money/Girlfriend". Wow, you are not very clever, hu? That is terrible

IWasBornInCincy
09-23-2011, 05:16 PM
So you don't think Rolen was key to last years division championship?

The Reds have not won a playoff game in 16 seasons. Who cares about getting swept by Philly? Reds, PIrates and Royals....3 worst franchises in the last 15 years. But...They made the payoffs once. Lol

brm7675
09-23-2011, 05:18 PM
The Reds have not won a playoff game in 16 seasons. Who cares about getting swept by Philly? Reds, PIrates and Royals....3 worst franchises in the last 15 years. But...They made the payoffs once. Lol

Yes, winning the division and making the playoffs are HUGE for a team that had been losing and not smelled the playoffs since like what...95? HELLO MCFLY....

brm7675
09-23-2011, 05:19 PM
So that's your thing, hu? Any time anyone criticizes any reds for horrible play...you counter with a "Did (Insert Player) steal your lunch money/Girlfriend". Wow, you are not very clever, hu? That is terrible

when the posts they make have no sense, logic or substance behind them...then yes...

Stray
09-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Injured players are usually not very good. That is a good observation.

nux fan
09-23-2011, 05:30 PM
by the way dont forget how great rolen was in the playoffs 0- three games, the love affair with rolen is ludicrous, he is a walking disabled player

drowg14
09-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Third base has been a black hole for most of the teams this year. All the best in the game at that position have either spent time hurt or have been bad.

And after how bad Edwin was when he was a Red, you are seriously going to praise him right now? Especially after your chastisement of Bruce earlier today? Wow... We should hire you for our next GM.

brm7675
09-23-2011, 05:48 PM
by the way dont forget how great rolen was in the playoffs 0- three games, the love affair with rolen is ludicrous, he is a walking disabled player

Exactly how did Mr. MVP do in teh playoffs last year?

DocRed
09-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Wow...this guy is on a roll today.....whose next Joey Votto?

Moosie52
09-23-2011, 08:22 PM

You're stuck on 22 posts.

smixsell
09-24-2011, 12:25 PM
This inbred idiot is obviously just trying to wind us up. Not worth answering. Probably a a St. Louis born inbred, BTW.

FireDusty
09-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Jays Got a a better Third basemen out of the deal, saved around 20 million dollars and netted Zach Stewart. The Reds got the worst 3B in the game and got to spend an extra 16 million bucks...oh and we get Rolens (lack of) services in 2012 too. FantasticMaybe the very worst and most untrue posr I've evr seen.

Pathetic.

TheBigLebowski
09-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Do us all a favor...next time you feel the urge to post, take your laptop and walk to the busiest thoroughfare in East St. Louis and sit indian-style in the middle of the road. Let it all hang out and don't look up.

Red Raindog
09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Do us all a favor...next time you feel the urge to post, take your laptop and walk to the busiest thoroughfare in East St. Louis and sit indian-style in the middle of the road. Let it all hang out and don't look up.

He's in a party of one - the only one in my ignore box

JohnnyBallgame
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Nice analysis piece here on the trade:

http://www.reds4life.com/forums/index.php?threads/looking-back-at-the-scott-rolen-trade.155/

DGullett35
09-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Theres alot worse 3rd basemen in the league than Rolen..(Jack Hannahan, Brandon Inge, etc.) The guy who stated this doesnt follow baseball, and IMO is not a Reds fan. Rolen is damn good and is a future hall of famer. he should still start opening day next year and I would like to see him split some time with Francisco but he can still be valuable to this team

nux fan
09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
constantly on the disabled list and blocking the progress of young players

Krawhitham
09-24-2011, 10:58 PM

The trade was not that bad because they had Juan Francisco in the minors and Rolen helped the younger plays on the team.

The extension is what was horrible

nux fan
09-24-2011, 11:08 PM
yes

bubbachunk
09-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Edwin's WAR last two years: 2.9
Rolen's WAR last two years: 4.1

If I add in the 2009* season its even more drastic

EE: 3.4
Rolen: 5.4

*Note: This is only for the time those players spent on the teams they were traded to. Overall in 2009 Rolen was worth 4.8 and EE -0.1

nux fan
09-24-2011, 11:28 PM
how about this year, since that is the present, obviously rolen was the better player

bubbachunk
09-24-2011, 11:51 PM
how about this year, since that is the present, obviously rolen was the better player

EE: 1.6
Rolen: 0.5

If you extrapolate out to equalize the PAs Rolen is worth 0.97, but you cannot look at only one year to evaluate a trade. You need to look at the whole picture or you are being naive.

Edit: Also last time I checked they do not allow the DH in the NL nor did the Reds need anybody to spend much of any time covering 1B, both of which EE did this year. He was not strictly a 3B, never has been. Lets not kid ourselves.

mu4103
09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Injured players are usually not very good. That is a good observation.

Name a worse starting pitcher this year than Johan Santana :lol: !

brm7675
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
constantly on the disabled list and blocking the progress of young players

How is "Rolen" blocking the progress? I would say Dusty is blocking the progess of young players but how is Rolen?

nux fan
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
If he was not there, Francisco would have been given alonger look, rather than wishing and hoping for Rolen to stay healthy, francisco has potential rolen is finished

brm7675
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
If he was not there, Francisco would have been given alonger look, rather than wishing and hoping for Rolen to stay healthy, francisco has potential rolen is finished

but rolen is there, but that doesn't mean the Reds have to play him, it's mag't and Dusty who is doing the blocking, Not Scott Rolen.

Vottomatic
09-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Name a worse starting pitcher this year than Johan Santana :lol: !

Edison Volquez? :eek:

Nathan
09-27-2011, 04:15 AM

No, he wouldn't. He's been hurt all year as well. Why don't you think he was up in the majors much this year?

Mr Larkin
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Rolen was needed for the 2010 push. Without him, I doubt it would have happened.
EE is not a NL player. He will frustrate some team as a DH for most of his career.
Stewart is still a ? but I still think that Rolen as a leader and as a defensive player, not to mention all-star, was essential for the Reds to make a run at the dream last year.

bounty37h
09-27-2011, 03:46 PM
After reading this thread I think the users full name got cut off, it should have read "this morning" after "born in Cincy".

malcontent
09-28-2011, 07:52 PM
but rolen is there, but that doesn't mean the Reds have to play him, it's mag't and Dusty who is doing the blocking, Not Scott Rolen.I have to disagree with you there, brm7675.

Sure, 75% of it will be Baker's unendingly utter cluelessness.

But IMO Rolen is complicit as long as remains in denial that he's toast. And cashes the checks.

Though I have to admit, his quotes on the subject are priceless.

"Next year I have aspirations of having a healthier shoulder," Rolen said. "I know I have a healthier shoulder right now. Going into Spring Training, I will get myself in shape."

nux fan
09-28-2011, 08:29 PM
rolen is a chump he has stolen enopugh money in his career, francisco can outperform him hands down

redsrolen
09-28-2011, 09:47 PM
rolen is a chump he has stolen enopugh money in his career, francisco can outperform him hands down

How many chumps, do they put in the hall of fame????
When I watched this team before Scott came, they were a flippin joke!! Scott has taught every single player invaluable information in every aspect of the game! His work ethic is second to none. Both Votto & Phillips credit Scott with the team transformation, without him, there would have never been a change, in a lousy non-productive team! Scott is most certainly at the end of his career, but anyone that disses him like he's a joke, must be a real joke of a man!!!

texasdave
09-28-2011, 10:16 PM
No cookies for him. =P

nux fan
09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I was in error he is not a chump but he needs to get the heck out of francisco's way, he is yesterdays news

brm7675
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I was in error he is not a chump but he needs to get the heck out of francisco's way, he is yesterdays news

Exactly what has Francisco done to shown he is major league ready at this point?

nux fan
10-03-2011, 07:51 PM
more than stubbs , go check out your hero's minor league performance, francisco outperformed stubbs at every level, are you some kind of a racist, francisco in his sleep can out hit stubbs

brm7675
10-03-2011, 07:56 PM
more than stubbs , go check out your hero's minor league performance, francisco outperformed stubbs at every level, are you some kind of a racist, francisco in his sleep can out hit stubbs

Well we all know that if you can hit on the minor league level you are bound for greatness on the major league level....

How would you rate a player who in his first full season on the major league level posted these numbers?

NL 150 583 514 91 131 19 6 22 77 30 6 55 168 .255 .329 .444 .773 105 228

or this guy

NL 157 642 595 78 160 34 4 25 83 11 10 40 124 .269 .318 .466 .783 105

nux fan
10-03-2011, 09:37 PM
oh I get it you find the find that francisco out hit stubbs as a point in stubbs favor by finding an exception to the rule, look genius the more a person hits in the minors the MORE likely they are a better hitter, in fact Stubbs should go to the minors he probaly would never have made it to the majors if he were not a first round pick, only you could find francisco superior minor league performance as a negative, you are amazing

Vottomatic
10-04-2011, 08:15 AM
They should rename this thread (and about every thread) the Nux-Brm thread.

brm7675
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I have to disagree with you there, brm7675.

Sure, 75% of it will be Baker's unendingly utter cluelessness.

But IMO Rolen is complicit as long as remains in denial that he's toast. And cashes the checks.

Though I have to admit, his quotes on the subject are priceless.

"Next year I have aspirations of having a healthier shoulder," Rolen said. "I know I have a healthier shoulder right now. Going into Spring Training, I will get myself in shape."

How many professional athletes "know" when it is time to step away? Espceially in baseball.

brm7675
10-04-2011, 11:08 AM
oh I get it you find the find that francisco out hit stubbs as a point in stubbs favor by finding an exception to the rule, look genius the more a person hits in the minors the MORE likely they are a better hitter, in fact Stubbs should go to the minors he probaly would never have made it to the majors if he were not a first round pick, only you could find francisco superior minor league performance as a negative, you are amazing

Willy Mo Pena tore it up in AAA and how is he in the majors? Roberto Petigine was a multiple AAA MVP and incredible hitter who never made it in the show. Sure hitting on the minor league level is very important, but is not proof of success on the major league level.

Vottomatic
10-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Willy Mo Pena tore it up in AAA and how is he in the majors? Roberto Petigine was a multiple AAA MVP and incredible hitter who never made it in the show. Sure hitting on the minor league level is very important, but is not proof of success on the major league level.

.....yet you repeatedly toot Stubbs horn after he has done nothing in the majors, and slam other guys who have done about the same as Stubbs.

It makes no sense.

nux fan
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
the guy is almost psycho, he actually disparages doing well in the minors and favors the stubbs approcach, why if stubbs were sent to the minors he would not perform nearly as well as francisco, willy mo pena did not tear it up in AAA he was a rule 5 type guy and skipped the minors, but brm never lets the facts stand in the way of a good opinion

texasdave
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
How many professional athletes "know" when it is time to step away? Espceially in baseball.

They all "know"; they simply lie to themselves. It is no different than fans. Fans can see when a player is clearly on the downside. However, they keep hoping for their favorite player to stumble across that fountain of youth.

brm7675
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
.....yet you repeatedly toot Stubbs horn after he has done nothing in the majors, and slam other guys who have done about the same as Stubbs.

It makes no sense.

done nothing? Wow a bit harsh don't you think? Stubbs has shown the ability he just needs to refine it and adjust. You also have to ask "what are the coaches asking of him"? What if Jacoby and Baker see Stubbs as a power hitter and want him to swing away? I see a player with incredible speed who if can work on his ability to bunt can drop his K's by a bunch, and increase both his avg and obp, but is that what the Reds want?

malcontent
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll admit not many. Especially when 6 million dinero are there for the taking.

Vottomatic
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Whatever happened to our friend "IWasBornInCincy" anyway? :laugh: :p :lol: