PDA

View Full Version : Volquez and Drugs

HUHUH
10-05-2011, 09:27 PM
So Volquez has a great year a couple of years back, gets hurt, and hasn't quite returned to form. In the meantime, he's suspended for using some form of PED. Are we to expect him to return to form? Why? Was his previous "form" a result of PED's? You need to get your heads out of your $)(#/s and consider that Volquez's brief success was unnatural, and he will NEVER show that type of pitching again. Can you say "Grady Sizemore" or "Travis Hafner"? The list goes on and on. Don't expect anything more from Volquez. Guys like that have abused their bodies and it is over for them.

R_Webb18
10-05-2011, 09:56 PM
after this year why would anyone think he would return? im kinda just hopin.

Larry Schuler
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
So Volquez has a great year a couple of years back, gets hurt, and hasn't quite returned to form. In the meantime, he's suspended for using some form of PED. Are we to expect him to return to form? Why? Was his previous "form" a result of PED's? You need to get your heads out of your $)(#/s and consider that Volquez's brief success was unnatural, and he will NEVER show that type of pitching again. Can you say "Grady Sizemore" or "Travis Hafner"? The list goes on and on. Don't expect anything more from Volquez. Guys like that have abused their bodies and it is over for them.

Are you talking to me?

nate1213
10-06-2011, 12:59 AM
His problems this year were control right, not throwing harder. Last time I checked PED's didn't help a pitcher gain more control. The only thing that PED's would have effected was his ability to throw harder, and we know Volquez has no problems hitting 98 MPH. His problem is that he is a thrower, not a pitcher. If he could go down Cueto's route and back off a little, he could be better than what Cueto was this year.

The Rage
10-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Nate, that is a good point, but it would be interesting to put 2010 Volquez side to side with this years "version"(if you call it that) and see what was the difference mechanically. His walk increase was notable, it does make you wonder.

From me, it looked like he had better balance from the games I watched Volquez this year vs. last.

HalKing
10-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Well let me qualify my statements prior to even making them as being purely speculative, not based on any known facts... Something crossed my mind while Volquez was spending time with Louisville this season... I honestly wonder if the guy is a recreational drug user or possibly hits the bottle pretty hard. I agree with the comment that PED's aren't known for effecting control, pitching high or hung over on the other hand might be a culprit. Bronson Arroyo used to struggle mightily pitching day games and admitted that day games didn't agree with his lifestyle. You all might recall a pitcher the Reds acquired from the Braves several years back named Rob Bell. Bell was supposed to be a can't miss prospect and he totally fizzled out after joining the Reds. He spent the majority of a couple of seasons in Louisville and it was pretty common knowledge around town and the ballpark that he was quite the party animal. He was known for hitting the clubs around town among other things. Pretty easy to see that he threw his career down the toilet. The only thing about Volquez is with the drug policies in effect these days it'd be harder to go undetected.

brm7675
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I think the troubles with EV are more pitching motion over abuse of substance. Look how different a pitcher Cueto is with his new more under control motion.

Stray
10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Pretty good comparisons with Cueto. JC actually became a better pitcher when he took a few mph off of his fastball and started to pitch instead of throw. With Volquez's changeup he could be a really good pitcher if he'd figure it out.

I don't think his issues have anything to do with those substances. Wasn't it a fertility drug he got prescribed in his home country anyway? I kinda remember it had something to do with him and his wife wanting to have a child.

FireDusty
10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
It can be argued that Volquez' issue is behind his eyes & between his ears.

He had maturity issues in Texas, got by on stuff his first go round in the NL, blew his elbow...came back and is suffering the same maturity issues again.

You can't just get a hair cut and expect that to make you mature. You actually have to become mature "between the ears".

He can grow his hair to his ass if he is mature. He cut his hair and thought all would be forgiven.

Wrong.

brm7675
10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Maturity was a problem in TX, where have you seen it here in Cincy?

Hubba
10-07-2011, 06:11 PM
He wants to make sure that his baseball cap is not on straight. He should worry more where his pitches are going. But what do I know.

Roush's socks
10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Volquez has electric stuff, and he makes hitters miss more than any other Reds pitcher. If his success in the past was due to PED's, I don't know why he would still have the high strikeout numbers. Anyone who watches the guy pitch even this year can see that he has great stuff. His problems are based on a lack of control and too many walks.

I agree that he needs better coaching. He needs to quit trying to SO every batter and being so cute. A pitcher wastes too many pitches and walks too many batters when they are always going deep in the count.

I wouldn't give up on Voquez although he only gets 1-2 more chances.