PDA

View Full Version : Protection for Votto

Redleg
10-06-2011, 06:23 PM
A huge need for this team is someone to hit between Votto and Bruce. The Cards have Pujols, Holliday, Berkman. The Brewers have Braun Fielder Weeks Hart. I would hate to be a pitcher starting the inning knowing those three or four guys are coming to the plate. I think a TOR pitcher is more important than this need but do think it needs to be done in the offseason and not in the middle of next season. I have heard people on here say Willingham but he is a .260 hitter. I think the Reds really need someone who is a .285-.300 hitter there. I would rather have a guy hitting .300 with 15-20 hrs behind Votto than a .260 hitter that hits 30. Jay Bruce is already the .260 hitter that hits 30 hrs. I would like to have Willingham but wondering if anyone could think of a better contact hitter that might be available through trade or FA and would be affordable.

nux fan
10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
great point, relying on useless rolen cost them a lot

texasdave
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Protection in baseball is a myth. Besides, say, hypothetically, they got Kemp to protect Votto; then who protects Kemp?

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2004/09/the-protection-externality-it-doesnt-exist/

Redleg
10-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Ok then don't call it protection. They need another player on the team that can around .300 and have a high on base percentage to hit in the middle of the order

Ohayou
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Isn't that guy Alonso?

mroby85
10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Protection in baseball is a myth. Besides, say, hypothetically, they got Kemp to protect Votto; then who protects Kemp?

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2004/09/the-protection-externality-it-doesnt-exist/

Child Please.

Redleg
10-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Isn't that guy Alonso?

Can Alonso play left field well enough is the question. Plus that's 3 leftys in a row which could be bad against a good lefty reliever. I was thinking someone like nick Markakis but his contract is too big.

texasdave
10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Nevermind.

LeDoux
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
If Mr. Votto needs protection I would suggest a German Shepherd or an AR-15. Perhaps both.

nux fan
10-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I think Janish should bat behind votto

dMaus14
10-07-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Nick Markakis is lefty too! You know what would be really good protection for Votto? Some pitching to put wins up on the board. What's the point in keeping Votto and scoring 735 runs over the season when we give up 720 runs defensively?

Stray
10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I doubt we'll find anyone that'll scare teams away from walking votto but it'd be nice to have a guy behind him that would make teams pay for it more often. Bruce is too streaky to do it consistently.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

brm7675
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Well word is Dusty is going to hit Stubbs behind Votto this season..and Rolen after that followed by Janish then Mez.

Vottomatic
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Domi domi gatto Mr. Joey Votto

Vottomatic
10-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Well word is Dusty is going to hit Stubbs behind Votto this season..and Rolen after that followed by Janish then Mez.

they're going to re-sign Renteria to bat 4th.

brm7675
10-07-2011, 12:12 PM
they're going to re-sign Renteria to bat 4th.

Really that is great..I was getting a bit worried they let him walk...

izzy's dad
10-07-2011, 12:34 PM
A right handed hitting outfielder with pop and hits for average would be great to stick in between Votto and Bruce would be great! His name is Ryan Braun, and I don't think the Brewers are going to come off of him. A right handed bat with pop and hits around .260 is more realistic IE: Quentin, Willingham.

drowg14
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM

I'm confused. Was this an intended mistype of domo arigato? Not trying to be an a$$, just curious.

nux fan
10-07-2011, 04:10 PM
line up

darrell chaney
julianjavier
joey votto
woody woodward
mike vail
cesar hernandez
larry stahl
steve christmas

Tuff Nut
10-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Man, I bet that you're in Hawg Heaven.....Just your style.

herbdizzle
10-08-2011, 01:23 PM
If I were the Reds I wouldn't spend big money this offseason on a right handed position player. I think there bigger need is getting another big pitching arm and they could easily do that in free agency with the money saved from letting Cordero, Hernandez, & Renteria walk. It would be nice to see the Reds spend their money on signing either Mark Buerhle, C.J. Wilson, or Edwin Jackson for a 3-4 year contract. They would even be able to pay fair market value for a guy of that group.

A lot of people want to trade their young position players to get a big-name pitcher but I disagree. I think with proper lineup management you can create a pretty strong lineup in house. I would do the following lineup platoons on a consistent basis that I think would create a nice balanced lineup.

LF - Play Alonso against righties, Sappelt against lefties
CF - Play Heisey against righties, Stubbs against lefties
3B - Play Francisco against righties, Rolen against lefties

You wouldn't even have to move around the daily lineup either

1) Philips 2B
2) Alonso/Sappelt LF
3) Votto 1b
4) Heisey/Stubbs CF
5) Bruce RF
6) Rolen/Francisco 3B
7) Cozart SS
8) Mes/Hanigan C

I believe a Heisey/stubbs platoon gives you great power production and allows them both to play in high production situations. I also like Alonso/Sappelt in the 2 hole as high contact hitters in front of Votto. This also keeps everyone fresh and allows the Reds to further evaluate if any of their young guys has star potential. I would merely pick up BP's option for now to insure he stays motivated to earn his contract and give you another year to see if Cozart & Billy Hamilton can be long-term middle infield solutions.

This would also give you a starting rotation of

Cueto
Leake
Chapman
FA Pickup
Bailey
Arroyo

with Wood, Volquez, Lecure to back up the rotation. I'd let Cordero go and go with closer committee (Arredondo/Lecure/Ondrusek/Bray) until someone grabs the spot. I don't think the Reds need to panic, just manage their resources better and sign 1 legit FA pitcher.

Vottomatic
10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm confused. Was this an intended mistype of domo arigato? Not trying to be an a$$, just curious.

Sorry. I'm not a Mr. Roboto expert. It was mistyped because I don't know the exact words.

nux fan
10-08-2011, 03:06 PM
arrendondo, ondrusek are part of the problem not a solution

DirtyBaker
10-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Domo arigato jose arredondo

domo domo....
domo domo....