PDA

View Full Version : Required Study Material: Reds 40-man pitchers

powersackers
10-07-2011, 10:56 PM
DVR tonight's Cardinals / Phillies game and send it to each Red pitcher on the 40-man. Make them watch it once a week during the offseason. Congrats Roy and Chris. That's pitching. Take note Reds!

nux fan
10-07-2011, 11:07 PM
the only thing that the reds pitchers have in common with those two pitcgers is that they grip a ball

herbdizzle
10-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't think that the Reds pitchers are far off from being elite capable in their starting rotation. Cueto had a very nice season and continues to show development into a borderline #1 ace and definite #2 caliber SP on a winning team. Mike Leake continued his development and shows good poise and consistency when taking the ball. Aroldis Chapman, who has the most electric arm in the NL, will be joining our rotation next year and beginning his transition as a starter (Remember he is only 23 and we have him for next year and 3 more so be patient).

We have 3 young starters under contract control for at least the next 3 years that all have the ability to improve into elite/very good status. You are right that these 3 guys could learn a lot from watching a game like that to show the poise, control, and aggressiveness needed to pitch in clutch big-game situations.

R_Webb18
10-08-2011, 01:14 PM
yea im sure watching last night game will make them elite. heck i watched it maybe if i watch it a few more times i should toss a baseball around.

Vottomatic
10-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I watched it. Watched it again. Studied it. Then went out today and threw a no-hitter in our backyard playing wiffleball.

It really does work.

texasdave
10-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Just knowing that I watched garnered me a 5-year, 80 million dollar contract offer. It really does work.

nux fan
10-09-2011, 03:30 PM
roger nelson and john tsitouris watched it also

BluegrassRedleg
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
On a serious note, I do wish the Reds would study winning pitchers in the way they approach hitters and rarely ever give in. Reds pitchers constantly give in to hitters, IMO. Way too many pitches in the sweet part of the plate, and I don't think it has as much to do with ability and mentality. As much as I hated Tom Glavine back in the day, that SOB made a living off NEVER giving in to hitters, even when he was behind in the count.

dMaus14
10-10-2011, 03:31 PM
The other thing that I've noticed Reds pitchers do not throw inside more especially at home. Glavine, Maddux and Jamie Moyer all talked about how important it was for them to throw inside. And these are "finesse" guys!

Vottomatic
10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
The other thing that I've noticed Reds pitchers do not throw inside more especially at home. Glavine, Maddux and Jamie Moyer all talked about how important it was for them to throw inside. And these are "finesse" guys!

Reds pitchers don't throw inside anymore because Tony Larussa chided them in the media about it, complained to the umpires about it, and had a conversation with Chris Carpenter's son about it.

Then Tony went out and nearly had his pitcher's bean the entire Brewers lineup.

Oh well.