PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah! Cordero is gone!

takealeake
10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Sorry I had to come here to specifically celebrate this great news. The Reds burned $48 mil on this guy and he is FINALLY ... FINALLLY GONE.

No more blown saves out of nowhere. No more paying $12 million for a guy to come in one inning and blowing 3 run leads. No more walking the bases loaded for no reason. No more crap. No more Cordero.

:beerme::beerme::beerme::beerme::beerme::beerme::b eerme::beerme:

R_Webb18
10-31-2011, 07:09 PM
no hes not. i say theres a decent chance hes back.

brm7675
10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Sorry I had to come here to specifically celebrate this great news. The Reds burned $48 mil on this guy and he is FINALLY ... FINALLLY GONE.

No more blown saves out of nowhere. No more paying $12 million for a guy to come in one inning and blowing 3 run leads. No more walking the bases loaded for no reason. No more crap. No more Cordero.

How is he gone? They just didn't pick up his option...nothing saying he won't resign for less monies.

LegallyMinded
10-31-2011, 07:50 PM
How is he gone? They just didn't pick up his option...nothing saying he won't resign for less monies.

Alas, this is true :(. I just hope that if the Reds do decide to resign him, they do it before relievers like Papelbon and Madson sign and give CoCo an inflated idea of his value.

And at the very least, the Reds won't be paying 12 million a year for their rides on the CoCo Coaster. That's something.

Pete4prez
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
It would'nt surprise me if he was a Red next year.

UPRedsFan
10-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Ok so who closes next year. If you say Masset, I will be less comfortable than with Cordero.

fewfirstchoice
10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
The Reds will sign him to a 2 year 10 million contract watch and see.

KYRedLeg
10-31-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm hoping for a resign. Is he worth $12 million? Probably not...but given the job he does, and his success rate, I don't think there is much better out that, in the Reds price range. Two years for 10-15 mil, total, wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Let's see CoCo for another year or two, and get Boxberger up here as soon as the powers-that-be feel he is ready.

Krawhitham
10-31-2011, 08:40 PM

Who needs a 86.2 % save rate (his rate over 4 seasons)

BTW MLB average last season was 68%

Cardinal_Fan
10-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Yea 12 million is way too much for him (especially with the Reds' budget), but let me tell you it's nice to have a closer with saves 86/100 times. Motte may be an answer for the Cardinals if we're luck, but we would've easily had at least 5 more wins this season if we had a closer.

DocRed
10-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Who needs a 86.2 % save rate (his rate over 4 seasons)

BTW MLB average last season was 68%

That may be for everyone...but I am sure it is MUCH higher for closers.

NorrisHopper30
10-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Delete this thread it's misleading lol

mroby85
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Cordero has been overpaid, but there has been players i've been a lot happier about not being back. He's been pretty solid even though often an adventure. I'm also not going to be excited until I see that money spent elsewhere, because Cordero simply being gone doesn't make them a better team.

markymark69
11-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Be careful what you wish for.

There were times when Cordero struggled no doubt - but he closed out an awful lot of games as well.

The Reds overpaid for him I can't dispute and will not dispute that - and there were times I yelled at the TV or the radio when Cordero was walking the tight rope - but based on what the Reds have and what is out there as possible replacements - you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who was better.

Kingspoint
11-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Hopefully, they can work out a deal to keep him around.

alett12
11-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I say only resign him if you can get a minor league deal

brad1176
11-03-2011, 01:41 PM
I say only resign him if you can get a minor league deal

Won't happen, the guy saved 37 games with a 2.45 ERA last year. I agree that they shouldn't spend much on ANY closer though.

jwmann2
11-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Cordero's stats and records speak for themselves. We as fans just think the money should be spent elsewhere. CoCo was not the problem this year, the rest of the pitching was.

brm7675
11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Cordero's stats and records speak for themselves. We as fans just think the money should be spent elsewhere. CoCo was not the problem this year, the rest of the pitching was.

the problem with CoCo was the amount of his salary...not really his overall performance...

CrosleyField
11-05-2011, 10:41 AM
the problem with CoCo was the amount of his salary...not really his overall performance...

+1

like someone else said 2 years for 15 million would be fair.

Old NDN
11-06-2011, 10:53 AM
If he doesn't return, do you think the Reds will use the money for new players (via trade or free agent) or just spend it on raises and bonuses for the remaining bunch?

LegallyMinded
11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
+1

like someone else said 2 years for 15 million would be fair.

I'd be very hesitant to give him a multi-year deal. His K-rate has plunged from a high of 12 per nine innings in 2007 to 5.4 last season, and his fastball velocity was at a career low. He turned in a nice ERA last year, but he was very lucky in terms of strand rate and BABIP, and I'd hate to see the Reds bank on one more year of that kind of luck, let alone multiple years.

Old NDN
11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd be very hesitant to give him a multi-year deal. His K-rate has plunged from a high of 12 per nine innings in 2007 to 5.4 last season, and his fastball velocity was at a career low. He turned in a nice ERA last year, but he was very lucky in terms of strand rate and BABIP, and I'd hate to see the Reds bank on one more year of that kind of luck, let alone multiple years.

.....and if the Reds management is still pondering signing him to a multi-yr. deal, check the Harang and Arroyo contract extensions and see how that worked out for them.

swaisuc
11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
The problem here is that very few players are "worth" $12M. If you go out and spend that $12M on someone else, they probably won't earn all of that either. The nature of baseball contracts right now is that you're going to get bargains on your young emerging stars and then you're going to overpay for guys with a track record. If we're spending the $12M on a guy for track record, Cordero fills one of our biggest needs on this team. Still, I think you can trim a few million off that and still bring him back which is why his option was declined. I'd take him back at 1/10 or 2/18 or less.

I just question how many people seem to think A. we can find a better closer and B. most players we could spend that money on would help more.

I don't believe either are true and really you have to believe both are true to want Cordero out.

stevekun
11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
I think if CoCo does resign it wont matter how much money we sign him for a lot of reds fans will complain. Even 200K a year will make some mad

LegallyMinded
11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
The problem here is that very few players are "worth" $12M. If you go out and spend that $12M on someone else, they probably won't earn all of that either. The nature of baseball contracts right now is that you're going to get bargains on your young emerging stars and then you're going to overpay for guys with a track record. If we're spending the $12M on a guy for track record, Cordero fills one of our biggest needs on this team. Still, I think you can trim a few million off that and still bring him back which is why his option was declined. I'd take him back at 1/10 or 2/18 or less.

I just question how many people seem to think A. we can find a better closer and B. most players we could spend that money on would help more.

I don't believe either are true and really you have to believe both are true to want Cordero out.

You raise some valid concerns here, but I'm not sure this is the best case for your argument. The Reds saved 12 million dollars by declining Cordero's option, and then spent 12 million on Philips' option. I'm not saying the two decisions were necessarily connected, but, given that Phillips produced 6 WAR last year, this is an easy case of spending the savings from one move on a player who is certainly worth the money spent.

Additionally, I think there are certainly players out there who could be had for 12 million dollars and would help more than Cordero.

Cordero, after all, posted .1WAR last year. On the FA market, we find Erik Bedard (2.4WAR), Freddy Garcia (2.2WAR) and Bartolo Colon (2.9WAR). Last year, any one of those players would have been the second best starter in the Reds rotation, and any one of them could probably be had for a one year deal worth 12 million or less, given their injury history and desire to reestablish their value. As such, I'd say it makes perfect sense to decline Cordero's option and pursue a relatively cheap FA who will address a serious need.

texasdave
11-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I always thought Rich Harden would make a good closer. Of course he never stays healthy. Maybe pitching an inning at a time would help in that regards.

alett12
11-09-2011, 03:07 PM
I think broxton or zumya would be worth a flyer as a back up plan if all else fails

knoonan991
11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Cordero will always be polarizing among fans because he was overpaid.

Is he an effective closer? Absolutely, no doubt about it.

Is he worth 12 Million? Not at all. I'm not sure more than 2 or 3 closers are.

I really hope Cordero is back with the Reds next year.