PDA

View Full Version : So, what about the Brew Crew and Cards?

Helms1
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
What do we think happens to our competition this off season?

UPRedsFan
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I think the Cubs will get better. They'll make aquisitions. Walt may have to compete with them to get a front line starter.

I think the Cards and Brewers will get worse.

Brewers lose Prince
Albert may leave. Berkman won't repeat. Carpenter's getting older. Will Garcia stay healthy?

It'll be an interesting central division next year.

jwmann2
11-03-2011, 04:55 PM
In the NL Central, I'm the most anxious to see if the houston astros move to the american league west. That will create less competition believe or not. I doubt it though because the schedules are already out even though they are always subject to change.

LegallyMinded
11-03-2011, 06:25 PM
MLBTR likes the Brewers to acquire (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/2012-top-50-free-agents-1.html) Jose Reyes:

That would be pretty disconcerting for the Reds' chances next year, given that SS was one of the main weak spots on the Brewers' team last season. Maybe acquiring Reyes would just compensate for their presumed loss of Prince, or perhaps Reyes will get injured again, but I would not be pleased to see him in Milwaukee.

brm7675
11-03-2011, 06:28 PM
MLBTR likes the Brewers to acquire (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/2012-top-50-free-agents-1.html) Jose Reyes:

That would be pretty disconcerting for the Reds' chances next year, given that SS was one of the main weak spots on the Brewers' team last season. Maybe acquiring Reyes would just compensate for their presumed loss of Prince, or perhaps Reyes will get injured again, but I would not be pleased to see him in Milwaukee.

Reyes is a good player but won't replace the loss of Prince and has injury issues that result in him not playing in a full season.

LegallyMinded
11-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Reyes is a good player but won't replace the loss of Prince and has injury issues that result in him not playing in a full season.

The main issue might end up being who replaces Prince at 1B. It looks like last year, Prince played all 162 games at first, so I'm not even sure who his backup was or who might slide in to replace him. Does anyone know what Milwaukee has in the way of first basemen in the minors?

brad1176
11-03-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm not seeing Reyes going to Milwaukee. Prince and Reyes are projected to get contracts that are roughly in the same ballpark, money wise. If they can't afford Prince how could they afford Reyes?

brad1176
11-03-2011, 07:26 PM
The main issue might end up being who replaces Prince at 1B. It looks like last year, Prince played all 162 games at first, so I'm not even sure who his backup was or who might slide in to replace him. Does anyone know what Milwaukee has in the way of first basemen in the minors?

From what I've read, Mat Gamel is transitioning from 3rd to 1st. He hits a ton, but doesn't have much of a glove.

Mark T
11-03-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not seeing Reyes going to Milwaukee. Prince and Reyes are projected to get contracts that are roughly in the same ballpark, money wise. If they can't afford Prince how could they afford Reyes?

Very darned good reasoning. Makes perfect sense.

texasdave
11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I think Milwaukee can afford Fielder. I think it is more a case of Prince wanting to leave Milwaukee.

LegallyMinded
11-03-2011, 09:50 PM

It might not be that they can't afford Prince, but that they don't want to spend so much on him. Given his body type, they might think he won't age well, and so would actually view signing Reyes as less risky, even with Reyes's injury history.

The alternative at each position is also a factor. The Mat Gamel character the poster above mentioned had a 310/372/540 line at triple A this year, so the Brewers seem to have a quality first baseman ready to replace Prince. By contrast, the alternative to Reyes at shortstop is . . . Yuniesky Betancourt. In that context, it's no surprise the Brewers would rather pay through the nose for a free agent SS than for a 1B.

Tadasimha
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
In the NL Central, I'm the most anxious to see if the houston astros move to the american league west. That will create less competition believe or not. I doubt it though because the schedules are already out even though they are always subject to change.

This is something that Bud Selig wants to happen, but from all the articles I've read about it, it won't happen until at least the 2013 season. The 2012 schedule is set, so no move until after that season.

10xWSChamps
11-08-2011, 12:29 AM
It might not be that they can't afford Prince, but that they don't want to spend so much on him. Given his body type, they might think he won't age well, and so would actually view signing Reyes as less risky, even with Reyes's injury history.

The alternative at each position is also a factor. The Mat Gamel character the poster above mentioned had a 310/372/540 line at triple A this year, so the Brewers seem to have a quality first baseman ready to replace Prince. By contrast, the alternative to Reyes at shortstop is . . . Yuniesky Betancourt. In that context, it's no surprise the Brewers would rather pay through the nose for a free agent SS than for a 1B.

Reyes less risky?

Prince has been a horse, Reyes has been on the DL a lot the past few years and missed nearly the entire year in 09. Reyes is a year older and plays a position that relies upon his athleticism. If you take away the fact that he is a SS he is not nearly as special of a player. His steals have also been going down and down, seemingly a sign of the decline of his athleticism.

I get what you're saying about Prince. But if a franchise is looking for a safer investment Reyes is not it

Albert may leave. Berkman won't repeat. Carpenter's getting older. Will Garcia stay healthy?

The Cardinals will have money to play with if Albert leaves, don't forget.

Also don't forget that we are getting Adam Wainwright back, who didn't throw 1 pitch in the regular season last year. That will be a gigantic rotational upgrade which will offset any decline Carp has.

I think it's expected that Lance declines a bit, but I don't think it'll be too extreme.

With the emergence of Freese and Allen Craig the lineup should still shake out to be very good next year, with upgrades in the rotation (With Waino back, at the very least) and in the bullpen with Motte's emergence and the addition of Rzypchenski.

LegallyMinded
11-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Prince has been a horse, Reyes has been on the DL a lot the past few years and missed nearly the entire year in 09. Reyes is a year older and plays a position that relies upon his athleticism. If you take away the fact that he is a SS he is not nearly as special of a player. His steals have also been going down and down, seemingly a sign of the decline of his athleticism.

Good points here, and I don't disagree at all, but it seems the Brewers are not deterred (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/08/brewers-giving-up-on-prince-fielder-focusing-on-jose-reyes/). That article, however, does note the Brewers probably won't win a bidding war for Reyes regardless of how badly they want him.

Cardinal_Fan
11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
If the Cardinals fail to sign Pujols it will be after a lengthy contract negotiation. By that point they may have money to sign somebody, but it's at least somewhat likely that all of the top FA's will be signed by that point.

R_Webb18
11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
cardinals are the team to beat and then I think its either brewers or reds. depending on who improves the most. then the cubs. astros lol

The Rage
11-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Bleh the Cardinals. People still are grasping the flukes they were. I think alot of parts that functioned last season, won't in 2012.

R_Webb18
11-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Bleh the Cardinals. People still are grasping the flukes they were. I think alot of parts that functioned last season, won't in 2012.

flukes or not there still the team to beat. just like the reds were last year.