PDA

View Full Version : Jair Jurrjens

Redleg
11-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Saw on mlbtraderumors that the Braves would be willing to shop him. I know he is injury prone and struggled the second half of last season but just wondering what people thought of him. What would it take to make a deal with the braves. Maybe Heisey and Frazier?

LegallyMinded
11-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I saw the Braves were trying to work out a deal for Lorenzo Cain in exchange for Jurjens, so it seems they might indeed be interested in another outfield prospect such as Heisey. Jurrjens doesn't seem that special (89.1mph FB velocity last year, and a dip in K rate to go with it), and like you said, there are injury concerns, but if the asking price were Heisey, it might be worth it. Heisey doesn't seem to have a place on the Reds, since no matter how well he does, he has to vie for playing time with the likes of Fred Lewis and Jonny Gomes.

BEETTLEBUG
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Would any do Stubbs for Jurrjens?

alett12
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
No quit trying to get rid of Heisey, the man is a beast and Jurrjens is almost 30 which is usually the downside of a players career. The only player i would offer the braves for him is phipps. he has talent but no where to go. Heisey is going to be a lock for a long time in Cinci i have a feeling.

R_Webb18
11-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Would any do Stubbs for Jurrjens?

yes

Old NDN
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
No. No more reclamation projects. The Reds need power arms, not another 85-90mph 4-5 guy in the rotation.

nux fan
11-04-2011, 01:18 PM
getting rid of stubbs would be great

LegallyMinded
11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
No quit trying to get rid of Heisey, the man is a beast and Jurrjens is almost 30 which is usually the downside of a players career. The only player i would offer the braves for him is phipps. he has talent but no where to go. Heisey is going to be a lock for a long time in Cinci i have a feeling.

I wasn't trying to imply the Reds should get rid of Heisey. It's just that the last 2 years, there hasn't been much real competition for LF, and the Reds have still been reluctant to make Heisey the everyday starter. If they're not going to play him, for whatever reason, they might as well explore trading him.

drowg14
11-05-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jurrjens-isnt-worth-a-top-prospect/

izzy's dad
11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
No. No more reclamation projects. The Reds need power arms, not another 85-90mph 4-5 guy in the rotation.

Agreed

LegallyMinded
11-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Speaking of reclamation projects with 85-90mph stuff, the Giants are looking to trade (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/giants-open-to-trading-jonathan-sanchez.html) Jonathan Sanchez. His fastball velocity has dropped 3 straight years and he only managed 101 innings last year. Nonetheless, his walk rate north of 5BB/9 would fit right in with the likes of Volquez and Chapman. At a projected salary of 5.2 million, is he worth even a low-level prospect?

Ohayou
11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
His velocity took a significant hit last year, he tanked in the 2nd-half, and then got put on the DL for the 2nd time in 2011 and 3rd or 4th time over the past 2 seasons.

No thanks.

justincredible
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Jurrjens is 25.

LegallyMinded
11-07-2011, 01:50 PM
His velocity took a significant hit last year, he tanked in the 2nd-half, and then got put on the DL for the 2nd time in 2011 and 3rd or 4th time over the past 2 seasons.

No thanks.

Sanchez just got traded to the Royals for Melky Cabrera, so it looks like he's not an option anymore regardless. Seems like a swap of two troubled assets that could help or hurt both teams.

Ohayou
11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I was referring to Jurrjens.

LegallyMinded
11-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I was referring to Jurrjens.

My fault for momentarily derailing the thread. Sorry about that.

To get back to Jurrjens, apparently (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/heyman-on-orioles-pujols-madson-marlins.html) the Braves are looking for a return similar to what KC got for Zack Greinke. Is it just me, or is it absurd to even try to compare Jurrjens and Greinke?