PDA

View Full Version : Crazy trade idea

alett12
11-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Would anyone send votto and phillips to toronto for lawrie and bautista?

brad1176
11-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Interesting, but I say no. Votto and Phillips are both younger than Bautista and I would expect Bautista to begin to decline. To further the point, I wouldn't give up an MVP first baseman and the best second baseman in all of MLB for an aging outfielder with a large contract and a good 3B prospect. If you pull the trigger on a deal involving BP and Votto, it had better return a #1 starter and then some.

bounty37h
11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Would anyone send votto and phillips to toronto for lawrie and bautista?

H-E-Dub Hockey sticks no. I would laugh and then try to reach through the phone to smack the Jays GM if he called and proposed that.

mound_patrol
11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Absolutely I'd do this trade. We're getting 5 plus years of Lawrie, and Bautista through 2015. Phillips will likely be gone after this year and votto the year after that. This is a trade that would help us win now and later.

dMaus14
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
EE has been playing LF in winter ball; he and Adam Lind both played 1st last year for the Jays so one has to think that AA is going to make a push for a big time 1st baseman. Their payroll was $70m last year but that's because AA has cut $$ since becoming GM. 2 years ago I believe their payroll was around $90m so the money is there to take on a contract.

Hillsdale87
11-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I would do that in a heartbeat. Lawrie looks like he's going to be a star. Bautista already is. We'd get Bautista cheaper and 2 years longer than Votto with Alonso to plug in for Votto. I think Phillips only has a couple more good years in him.

LegallyMinded
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like this deal. One cautionary note, of course, is that Lawrie probably can't sustain the performance he broke into the majors with (852 career OPS in the minors, vs 953 last year in the majors), but over the next few years, I could certainly see him outproducing Phillips. Moreover, Lawrie played a lot of 2B in the minors, so we could potentially pencil him in at 2B this year while Rolen/Franciso man 3B, then in subsequent years,when Hamilton or Rodriguez are potentially ready to play 2B in the majors, slide Lawrie to third.

bounty37h
11-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I would do that in a heartbeat. Lawrie looks like he's going to be a star. Bautista already is. We'd get Bautista cheaper and 2 years longer than Votto with Alonso to plug in for Votto. I think Phillips only has a couple more good years in him.

I personally think Bautista is more a shooting star; there one minute, gone the next. I could easily be wrong, but I just dont think he is long term legit.

dMaus14
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
I like the trade for the youth movement and payroll flexibility. Plus he is a RH middle of the lineup presence to split Bruce and Alonso. If Lawrie continues his terror from last September sign him to a Longoria contract.

LegallyMinded
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I personally think Bautista is more a shooting star; there one minute, gone the next. I could easily be wrong, but I just dont think he is long term legit.

For what it's worth, Bill James projection system likes Bautista for a .262/.385/.525 line next year. I, too, find it kind of hard to believe Bautista has turned into the player he currently is, but after two years of this kind of production, I'm beginning to accept it as legitimate.

The DARK
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
If any of these Votto/Bautista trades actually happen, I'll spend about a month in utter shock.

DocRed
11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
No way in hell Toronto would do that....

alett12
11-15-2011, 11:28 AM
when i posted this i saw bautista going in at third and lawrie being moved to second where he played in the brewers minor league system before he was traded to the Jays the line up would look something like this
1. Stubbs Cf
2. Heisey LF
3. Alonso 1B
4. Bautista 3B
5. Bruce RF
6. Lawrie 2B
7. Mesoraco C
8. Cozart SS