PDA

View Full Version : Reds next closer should be Boxberger

Chris Sabowned
11-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Closers aren't worth big $$$. Its been proven time and time again.

Craig Kimbrel showed that rookies can close. I would let Bradley Boxberger try to win the closer job out of spring training. If we get into the season and he simply isn't ready then we give the job to Bray or Masset, or whoever is pitching the pitch at the time.

We are much better off saving that money and using it on a SP or an OF.

texasdave
11-15-2011, 07:19 PM
At least seven teams have expressed interest in free agent right-hander Francisco Cordero, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Cordero's agent Bean Stringfellow told MLB.com's Mark Sheldon as much yesterday, but Morosi also names many of the clubs who have interest in Cordero: the Red Sox, Reds, Blue Jays, Marlins, Dodgers, Angels, and Mets.
Although Jonathan Papelbon is off the market, Cordero is one of many closers still available, along with Ryan Madson, Heath Bell, and Francisco Rodriguez, among others. The Reds declined their option on the 36-year-old Cordero at season's end, despite a successful 2011 campaign in which he posted a 2.45 ERA and reduced his BB/9 to 2.8.

Cordero won't come cheap it looks like. Interesting that the word was he was all but locked up but that fell through. Money talks; I want to remain a Red walks. Adios, Coco.

redsfanmia
11-15-2011, 07:44 PM
I hear that Jeff Shaw is working out and looking good, maybe he could close for a 4th place team next year.

LegallyMinded
11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Cordero won't come cheap it looks like. Interesting that the word was he was all but locked up but that fell through. Money talks; I want to remain a Red walks. Adios, Coco.

I wonder if the the talks with the Reds fell through in response to the Papelbon deal and Madson almost-deal. Obviously the numbers involved in those contracts would have to be attractive to Cordero, but does he really think he'll get a similar deal at 36 years old?

Krawhitham
11-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Closers aren't worth big $$$. Its been proven time and time again.

Craig Kimbrel showed that rookies can close. I would let Bradley Boxberger try to win the closer job out of spring training. If we get into the season and he simply isn't ready then we give the job to Bray or Masset, or whoever is pitching the pitch at the time.

We are much better off saving that money and using it on a SP or an OF.

Kimbrel throws 100mph fastball and was a 87 mph curve that drops like a hammer. BTW Kimbrel throws the hardest curveball in the majors.

Brad Boxberger throws a 91-93 mph fastball & 78-80 mph curveball

But don't let facts and starts stand in the way of a good fantasy

dMaus14
11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I would say quit screwing up Chapman and let him go out in the 9th every game and let him throw 100+ mph and get a save. His body just isn't set up to allow him to go 5-8 innings every start.

alett12
11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I agree completely even more so seeing the success of Kimbrel this year. But as long as dusty is manage it wont happen

stevekun
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Whats Danny Graves doing these days?

Uncle Charlie
11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
I liked what little I saw of Boxberger this year at Louisville. I think he will definitely be a contributor on the big club this year. And its probably a wiser $$$ move to go with Masset, Ondrusek or Bray than to pay 10 mil for a closer. If Box comes out the gate on fire why not give him eventually. Kimbrel while he was still a 'rookie' status wise did get his feet wet with 21 appearances in 2010 in set up situations.

dMaus14
11-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Ardolis Chapman! Love to have boxberger in the pen though. I mean let's be real about Chap. His body can't control long duration of pitching. Management has wasted 2 years of his contract so just put him as our closer, use Coco's $$ to sign 2 additional RP.

alett12
11-17-2011, 11:20 AM
does chapman have the control to close though? honestly i think if bailey keeps getting hurt you need to see how homer would work as a setup man or closer since his fastball would jump to about 97 it would be worth a shot

texasdave
11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Francisco Cordero is the only Reds' closer at this time per Jocketty. Time (and money) may change that.

As well, there have been "no new developments" between the Reds and free agent closer Francisco Cordero, according to Sheldon. Jocketty did not meet with Cordero's agent during the General Manager Meetings earlier this week in Milwaukee. "If we did not sign Coco, we'd first look outside of the organization," Jocketty said.

LegallyMinded
11-18-2011, 10:10 AM
"If we did not sign Coco, we'd first look outside of the organization," Jocketty said.

It will be interesting to see who they intend to look at. Joe Nathan might be worth trying to sign, since he should be relatively cheap and actually had a pretty good second half last year. He seemed to regain much of his control in the later months of the season, as shown by a pretty big increase in his K/BB ratio from the first to second half. He's 36 years old, but then, so is Cordero, so I can't imagine that in and of itself would put the Reds off.

redsfanmia
11-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I still say Bronson could be the next Dennis Eckersley.

texasdave
11-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I still say Bronson could be the next Dennis Eckersley.

That 'stache' will be hard to match.