PDA

View Full Version : The Reds and ole Walt keep sitting on their hands!

fewfirstchoice
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
It's gets old every trade deadline and offseason winter meetings the Reds brass sit on their hands and do nothing. Don't get me wrong love the Reds but it's time for uncle Bob to live up to his end of the bargain. It's time to spend and win Bob.

arkimadee
12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Your wrong! I heard they signed Gapper and Mr. Red legs to 3 year extensions and come to terms with a new bat boy

izzy's dad
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Frustrating, I know.

stevekun
12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Just a thought, but just because there have been no moves DOESNT mean he is sitting on his hands. "Sitting on his hands" implies that he is not trying to improve the club. I read an interview with him last night that says that he is frustrated as well because talks were not going like he wanted.

fewfirstchoice
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
No sitting on his hands means he's over valuing his prospects. He's letting players that have not proven anything keep him from acquiring players that have proven ther are true MLB players. I mean come on their prospects trade em get some proven players.

brm7675
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I am beginning to think the game has passed Walt by or Bob is really holding him back...

izzy's dad
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
No sitting on his hands means he's over valuing his prospects. He's letting players that have not proven anything keep him from acquiring players that have proven ther are true MLB players. I mean come on their prospects trade em get some proven players.

My thoughts exactly!

Krawhitham
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
It's gets old every trade deadline and offseason winter meetings the Reds brass sit on their hands and do nothing. Don't get me wrong love the Reds but it's time for uncle Bob to live up to his end of the bargain. It's time to spend and win Bob.

Walt is either right or wrong, but he seems to value the Reds trading chips a lot higher than any other team does.

He went to the meetings expecting to make a couple deals but his asking price was higher than anyone would pay

Krawhitham
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM

that is not what sitting on ones hands means

Jr's Boy
12-08-2011, 03:00 PM
It's time for Bob to sell the club.This seems just like the Lindner regime,just going through the motions every year.Though Uncle Carl did try to make a splash with signing Junior.So he did make an effort.

Jr's Boy
12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Walts reaction to the teams lack of moves in Dallas. ''very frustrating''.

Is it just me,or does Walt believe every young player in this organization is made out of gold?He cant keep feeding us the line about offers not being ''suitable''.I'm sure there are some teams who would work a fair deal.But we will never know because no deal's are ever made!

texasdave
12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I simply don't want to hear that it only three or four days into the winter meetings. Balderdash! The Reds have had holes in left field and at shortstop for several years now. Walt Jocketty needs to stop his whining and get something done.

LegallyMinded
12-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Interesting take on Alonso and the Reds' inactivity from Mike Newman:

Mike Newman:
It seems as if the answer is pretty simply in that the Reds valued his skill set more than other teams. Alonso isn't a true masher and a guy with a .285, 20 HR profile really needs to contribute defensively at first base to provide equivalent value to baseball's best. Alonso has more question marks than I think the Reds wanted to discount for even though I really love Alonso's swing. It's a thing of beauty for me.

Later on, he also mentioned that for Alonso, he'd give a "middle of the rotation type" or "maybe a guy with that kind of upside - not one that's already doing it like a Shields."

Perhaps not moving Alonso will turn out to be a blessing, in that he might have a chance to demonstrate that he actually is a "true masher," and might bump up his trade value a bit.

cres36
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I feel liek Walt is trying to get a deal done......why make a deal if you feel it is going to be a bad deal and not benefit you? to me that is just stupid......if you feel alonso is better than a middle rotation guy then hold out for someone that you want and enjoy watching our prospects develop.....i feel walt making a move soon though.....guess we will find out

50YrRedsFan
12-10-2011, 02:11 AM
On MLB channel tonight, the last item talked about were the winners and losers at the Winter meetings. Ken Rosenthal specifically gave the Reds a FAILING grade, mentioning the Reds did nothing, while knowing we will not be able to keep Votto after his contract expires. He went on to say there is still time, but a deal involving Votto should be a must for the Reds (It's a shame that when we finally get a home grown superstar, we can't keep him). Management has known this and still they sit by, watch deals being made, and still do nothing.
If they don't want to spend money, then we better be prepared to see a middle of the road team at best and just dream about championships.

texasdave
12-10-2011, 10:08 AM
On MLB channel tonight, the last item talked about were the winners and losers at the Winter meetings. Ken Rosenthal specifically gave the Reds a FAILING grade, mentioning the Reds did nothing, while knowing we will not be able to keep Votto after his contract expires. He went on to say there is still time, but a deal involving Votto should be a must for the Reds (It's a shame that when we finally get a home grown superstar, we can't keep him). Management has known this and still they sit by, watch deals being made, and still do nothing.
If they don't want to spend money, then we better be prepared to see a middle of the road team at best and just dream about championships.

The Reds should not have received a FAILING grade. They should have received a grade of INCOMPLETE. The dog ate their homework or something.

Ohayou
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
An NL executive heard that the Rangers have interest in signing Prince Fielder and trading Mitch Moreland to the Rays for Wade Davis.

What does this say about the possible James Shields trade now?

The Rage
12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Shields is not on the block. I think we have all known that for awhile. The Rays want to win and won't dump their 2nd best pitcher.

Like I said in the rumors thread, Walt doesn't want to pay the price for a "fix". He could trade Bailey for Alonso, but he just won't part with him.

He continues to think Alonso is a headliner while the rest of the league doesn't. It is why he didn't get Lee 18 months ago and why he continues to fumble around.

redsfanmia
12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
The Reds are talking to Dmitri Young, if they do nothing other than sign him I think they are right there in the mix for the division next season.

LegallyMinded
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
If the Reds are going to sit on their hands, how about some addition by subtraction:

Ryan Braun tested positive (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7338271/ryan-braun-milwaukee-brewers-tests-positive-performance-enhancing-drug) for a performance enhancing substance, and will be sitting out 50 games next season. Having the Brewers miss the services of the reigning MVP for a third of the year ought to be helpful for the Reds.

nux fan
12-10-2011, 09:58 PM
walt is very active he is talking to Larry Stahl and Mike Vail as well as to Len Boehmer

webbbj
12-11-2011, 03:53 PM
why make moves? just let everyone else fall apart.

JayStubbs
12-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Here's a big question people aren't asking:

Who in the N.L. Central would you rather be right now for the next 5 years?

I think it's the Reds hands down.

The Cards are in rebuilding after losing Pujols.
The Brewers are in rebuilding after losing Fielder, and they have no farm system with which to rebuild.
The Pirates actually look promising, but have a ways to go.
The Astros are leaving.
The Cubs are the Cubs.

The Reds have a solid, if not great team right now, and a ton of talent on the way. They are poised to dominate the NL Central for years, as long as they don't make any stupid moves.

nux fan
12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
dream on, the reds have no pitching, a moron for a manager, a corpse for a general manager and a star who is leaving

the cards know how to win, the brewers have pitching, the reds have Dusty Baker, a full fledged lunatic whi has barely acknowledged the existense of baseball statistics

Maker_84
12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
this team hasn't made any moves after watching how good the cardinals and brewers were in the postseason last year? this team is far from getting to the level that those 2 teams were that

R_Webb18
12-12-2011, 12:04 AM
why make moves when you going to run the show.

texasdave
12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
why make moves when you going to run the show.

To get better. After all the object is to win the World Series, not just the Central Division.

R_Webb18
12-12-2011, 01:26 AM
To get better. After all the object is to win the World Series, not just the Central Division.

everything is in place

Alpha Zero
12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not really sure how anyone can already be upset at this point in the off season. Outside of a bunch of big dollar (and probably disastrous) free agent signings, nothing really happened at the Winter Meetings. No significant players were dealt.

Until a name that I'm interested in gets moved to a different team for a reasonable haul, I won't be upset. It just seems like the trade market has been slow to develop this year. Give it some time. We'll have plenty of time to complain when the big name guys actually start getting traded.

LegallyMinded
12-12-2011, 09:59 AM
[N]othing really happened at the Winter Meetings. No significant players were dealt.

I think that's exactly why people are upset. Jocketty specifically mentioned the Reds were trying to find a starting pitcher and he had several prospects to work with as potential trade chips, yet nothing happened. The disparity between expectations and results is what bothers people.

Now, maybe you're right and the trade market is just slow to develop this year, and maybe it was a blessing that the Reds didn't overreach for a Gio Gonzalez or Jair Jurrjens-type starter, but it seems like Jocketty's comments were meant to built up anticipation about the Winter Meetings, such that when nothing happened it was very disappointing.