PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Confusion on RedsZone

dMaus14
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I have read numerous threads on here about how we need to make moves this offseason. I am an advocate that we will not win the division if we don't make moves but are we really going to get mad about Dontrelle Willis moving on? Criticize Walt because he didn't get Cahill even though most of the people on here didn't want him, or get mad because he didn't take on $8M this year for Street's salary and possible $9M next year?

I want a deal done soon but I am also not getting hell bent over moves that are either lateral or not worth the $$ we take on. That's just how I feel!

texasdave
12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
There is no offseason confusion on Redszone. Reds fans see the obvious holes, look back at almost 2 1/2 years of our GM doing next to nothing, watch the window of opportunity to compete close, recall a lost decade and are frustrated.

izzy's dad
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
There is no offseason confusion on Redszone. Reds fans see the obvious holes, look back at almost 2 1/2 years of our GM doing next to nothing, see the window of opportunity to compete closing, recall a lost decade and are frustrated.

100% YES

dMaus14
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
There is no offseason confusion on Redszone. Reds fans see the obvious holes, look back at almost 2 1/2 years of our GM doing next to nothing, watch the window of opportunity to compete close, recall a lost decade and are frustrated.

Understandable!

But is D-Train not re-signing that big of a loss? Was he going to be our #2-4?

Would you really want to pay an injury prone CL $8M?

Cahill COULD be in the #2-4 range but is he worth giving up our top position prospect + a high potential SP that we don't have in AA/AAA to fill that void?

brm7675
12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
My issue is if Walt knows what he wants, say Shields from TB, then make the deal. This concern of giving up to many "prospects" is laughable. They are prospects, MOVE them if it means adding a Major league talent to your roster. We are not going to add anyone via FA, but trades need to get done.

LegallyMinded
12-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Understandable!

But is D-Train not re-signing that big of a loss? Was he going to be our #2-4?

Would you really want to pay an injury prone CL $8M?

Cahill COULD be in the #2-4 range but is he worth giving up our top position prospect + a high potential SP that we don't have in AA/AAA to fill that void?

I think it's more of a cumulative effect than any particular disappointment about Willis, Cahill, Street or others. Over the last couple years, rumors have sprung up regarding the Reds and possible trades for Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, James Shields, and other big names, while prospects like Alonso and Mesoraco have been touted as highly attractive trade bait. Nothing, however, ever seems to happen, and so eventually, even the small non-moves-- like letting Willis walk when he might have been able to contribute as a LOOGY-- become aggravating.

texasdave
12-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Walt has been reluctant to give up his trading chips for over two years. What changes between now and Opening Day? I have no expectations whatsoever. Shock me, Walt.

The thing is Walt wanted to make a trade at the Winter Meetings and left empty-handed. If Walt is discouraged just think how badly the rest of us feel.

dMaus14
12-16-2011, 11:11 PM
In all honesty, how can we blame Walt for not making any moves? I am fairly certain that when he knew we were out of it at the waiver wire he wanted to get rid of some components but Bob wouldn't let us trade veterans. I also think the big hold up in making moves for the upcoming season is a bit of a tug and pull between Bob and Walt. Walt's job is to make this team better every year, not for "the two year window". Obviously, Bob's job is to make a profit. If Walt is going to sacrifice the future of the franchise by dealing Alonso, Grandal and other prospects then he is going to need a bigger payroll, to make a splash in free agency. Either way i don't really care, but we can't have an this payroll and not allow our GM the ability to make moves that could A. make the team better and B. decrease the obligations in payroll.

texasdave
12-17-2011, 12:12 AM
In all honesty, how can we blame Walt for not making any moves? I am fairly certain that when he knew we were out of it at the waiver wire he wanted to get rid of some components but Bob wouldn't let us trade veterans. I also think the big hold up in making moves for the upcoming season is a bit of a tug and pull between Bob and Walt. Walt's job is to make this team better every year, not for "the two year window". Obviously, Bob's job is to make a profit. If Walt is going to sacrifice the future of the franchise by dealing Alonso, Grandal and other prospects then he is going to need a bigger payroll, to make a splash in free agency. Either way i don't really care, but we can't have an this payroll and not allow our GM the ability to make moves that could A. make the team better and B. decrease the obligations in payroll.

I disagree.

TheBigLebowski
12-17-2011, 10:57 AM
This team has plenty of needs and plenty of trading chips to fill those needs. Yet we have another off-season full of inactivity and the most boring GM in all of baseball.

jmt5887
12-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I personally think it's the reds fans overvaluing the value of our prospects more so then anything else. I think a lot of teams don't see our group of prospects as good as we think that are. As a result it's a higher and stiffer price to pay to get anything good that could end up setting the team back several years if something goes wrong. Walt knows something has to be done but doesn't want to be responsible for another 10 years of frustration by selling the farm on 1 or 2 players and handing out terrible contracts when on a budget.