I hope you're happy.

djc27osu
12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I hope you're happy.

Absolutely

Todd Gack
12-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Many facets of this trade I dislike:

1) Votto NEEDS to sign with us or Walt looks like an idiot. It gives Joey even more leverage in negotiating and we'll end up paying him 20mill+ at the rate Joey's going on a payroll of a team in in the 80 range.

2) We traded who everyone thought would be our next closer down the road. So essentially, we're going to have to trade for a closer or pay more than we should for a closer especially in a market where we simply can't pay much for one.

3) I don't mind trading Alonso/Grandal in the same trade. But for Mat Latos? I love Latos, but there are absolutely huge questions about him. Not only does he pitch in the pitchers park, but in a PITCHERS DIVISION! You also have to be reminded of what happened to Jake Peavy and Chris Young after they left San Diego. I don't see Latos as a #1 starter and mixed with Cueto, we still have a couple #2's.

will5979
12-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Many facets of this trade I dislike:

1) Votto NEEDS to sign with us or Walt looks like an idiot. It gives Joey even more leverage in negotiating and we'll end up paying him 20mill+ at the rate Joey's going on a payroll of a team in in the 80 range.

2) We traded who everyone thought would be our next closer down the road. So essentially, we're going to have to trade for a closer or pay more than we should for a closer especially in a market where we simply can't pay much for one.

3) I don't mind trading Alonso/Grandal in the same trade. But for Mat Latos? I love Latos, but there are absolutely huge questions about him. Not only does he pitch in the pitchers park, but in a PITCHERS DIVISION! You also have to be reminded of what happened to Jake Peavy and Chris Young after they left San Diego. I don't see Latos as a #1 starter and mixed with Cueto, we still have a couple #2's.

1. Maybe we traded Alonso because an extension for Votto could be in the works, Votto > Alonso.

2. Aroldis Chapman, closer problem solved.

3. Give the man a chance, like we were going to do with the rookies, I'll take my chances with Latos/Cueto at the TOR, thank you!

mroby85
12-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Im happy. I think the'yre better this year than they were last year, and in a weaker division. I also think this points in the direction of locking Votto up, which I'm also happy about.

Old NDN
12-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm happy. It was a lot of POTENTIAL to give up, but #1s or # 2s are a rare commodity. Alonso was blocked at 1b. Grandal blocked by Mes (and Hannigan), Boxberger, I liked his potential but probably not next year. Volquez could rebound but probably not in Cincy. I think his attitude was not a good influence on the other young Latin players and only helps to be rid of him. Thanks Walt.

Grouse
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Any trade that gets rid of Volquez makes me happy.

will5979
12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Any trade that gets rid of Volquez makes me happy.

I have bitterness towards Volquez and its not really his fault. Its just the fact that we gave up a DAMNED MVP tp get his sorry ass.

justincredible
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
I am extremely happy.

DirtyBaker
12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Christmas came early this year. We sold 3 guys who were more or less trading chips + a possible reliever down the line. We get a starter who is a Red the next 4 years minimum, 24 years old, saves us money, and is TOR quality.

brm7675
12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Exactly "WHAT" did we give up? We know what Latos can do as he has been doing it on the major league level now for 2 years. We also know we get him for cheap and locked in till 2016 I believe. What we gave up is a pitcher who is a head case with TJ surgery in his past. We gave up a hitter with no position to play and not a very good defensive player no matter where he plays. We gave up a guy who "may" be a closer. How many available closers are there on the market this year? And we gave up a guy who "might" be a catcher in the show in a few years or maybe never.

People need to remember that finding Grade A pitching with a proven track record is tough, to find one that is cheap and young is tougher....