PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE this deal...

rolenmvp
12-17-2011, 05:46 PM
alot of people won't agree with it most likely until probably the season starts to see what happens with both clubs but Latos is the real deal and is a stud. He's a potential #1 ace in baseball right now buster onley said along with verlander, lester and weaver from the angels.

opponents only batted 185 against latos last year down the stretch and He went into the 7th innings in most of his starts. we got a stud pitcher and all we need now is a hitter to compliment this team and we will be set.

people can get mad at this deal but in order to get the best pitching you have to give up alot. I give jocketty credit today! He got us a flat stud pitcher!!

brm7675
12-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I really like this deal. We gave up 1 possible major league talent for what could be a stud pitcher with no money issue for like 4 years. How can you not like this deal?

Pony Boy
12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Agree 100%. I could care less about losing Boxberger as he is an unproven reliever. Grandal was always just a trade chip. I am a little bummed about losing Alonso, but oh well. This is a huge move.

RedsBrick
12-17-2011, 07:09 PM
I like the trade too. Yonder was always going to be the player to go.

Glad to see this team doing what it can to fill needs.

sdwagers
12-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I really like this deal. We gave up 1 possible major league talent for what could be a stud pitcher with no money issue for like 4 years. How can you not like this deal?

:beerme: Amen, and AMEN !

DGullett35
12-18-2011, 02:52 AM
I think it was a good deal as long as Latos can stay healthy. I look at it this way. Volquez' career was done in Cincy, It was either Grandal or mes for the future and I think we chose right by keeping Mes, Boxberger could blow his arm out tomm OR he could be the next Trevor Hoffman who knows, but the only peice I'm sad to see go is Yonder. Think hes going to be a tough out for many years to come but thats the price you pay to get a top of the line starter. Good thing is Lato's is under control for awhile and cheap. GO REDS IN 2012. Hopefully Dusty doesn't ruin Lato's like he supposedly has all these other young pitchers hes coached:eek: (I hate when people say that)

64red
12-18-2011, 03:25 AM
I like this deal too. As I said on one of the other threads, the division has given us an opening, and over pay or not, a move had to be made. There are obviously other needs to address, unfortunately not all on the field, but I feel like this shows we are serious about putting a winner on the field.

FireDusty
12-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Trade = Fail

We just rebuilt the Padres for years to come and added a 12 game winner.

dMaus14
12-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Trade = Fail

A. Given we only had one 12 game winner last year, I will take it.

B. Padres have been rebuilding since 1999!

C. In the past two years we have had one SP who has made 30 starts each year (Latos has done so each of the past two years)

D. I think there are other trades that could have been made but that doesn't mean I hate this trade! I like it because we now have two SP who I trust, and if Cueto can stay healthy we will have three.

Also, I think our rotation looks a lot like Brewers:

Leake = Marcum
Latos = Gallardo
Cueto = Greinke
Arroyo = Wolf

Crumbley
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I reject the notion that Cincinnati "mortgaged the future." Getting Latos is a move that benefits our future as he's under team control through 2015.

RedsFan_26
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Trade = Fail

Because the Padres got him no runs. He was 9-8 last year when he allowed 3 runs or fewer, Reds starters were 44-19!
He will be a completely different pitcher, record wise and confidence wise once we get him run production. Reds were 2nd in the NL in runs last year, padres were 14th.

This trade isn't a fail. You thinking for some reason Latos is a "12 game winner" and we traded 3 future all stars to get him is a FAIL

Crumbley
12-18-2011, 04:19 PM
And the fact that wins and losses just aren't a reliable metric to judge pitching performance. Jimmy Haynes won 15 games once which Latos has never done. Who's the better pitcher?

EMAW
12-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Trade = Fail

Ridiculous statement, obviously you have never seen Latos pitch
He won 12 for a crappy team with no offense

FireDusty
12-18-2011, 04:35 PM
A. Given we only had one 12 game winner last year, I will take it.

B. Padres have been rebuilding since 1999!

C. In the past two years we have had one SP who has made 30 starts each year (Latos has done so each of the past two years)

D. I think there are other trades that could have been made but that doesn't mean I hate this trade! I like it because we now have two SP who I trust, and if Cueto can stay healthy we will have three.

Also, I think our rotation looks a lot like Brewers:

Leake = Marcum
Latos = Gallardo
Cueto = Greinke
Arroyo = Wolf
I have a novel idea.....how about we develope front of the rotation starters.

If we have to trade 4 guys for every spot in the rotation we won't have anybody left to play the field.

The trade will look ok this year, but I absolutely promise you...history will show it as a total complete fail.

When this trade starts paying huge dividends for the Padres, we will be the Pirates again.

FireDusty
12-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Ridiculous statement, obviously you have never seen Latos pitch
He won 12 for a crappy team with no offense

Actually, he won 9.....has never made every start in a season....has a history of shoulder problems & has shown maturity issues.

dMaus14
12-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Actually, he won 9.....has never made every start in a season....has a history of shoulder problems & has shown maturity issues.

After reading all of your statements in the past couple of days I am going to hope that you are just messing with people! Either way, I will bite again and argue with you for S and G's!

A history of shoulder problems that has kept him from making a total of 5-6 starts each year! He still started 31 games each of the last two years.

YOU wanted to keep the rotation as is and get rid of Price and Baker. Well that won't do anything for Bailey and Cueto's SHOULDER INJURIES! Volquez hasn't been good since he got busted for PED use.

Here you go stat averages (Reds rotation compared to Latos over the past two years):
Name: W / IP / GS
Latos: 11 / 189 / 31

Cueto: 10 / 170 / 23
Arroyo: 13 / 207 / 32
Volquez: 5 / 65 / 16
Wood: 5 / 104 / 17
Leake: 10 / 153 / 24
Bailey: 7 / 170 / 20

Plus we now have a #1-3 until 2015! Yea I will gladly give up what we did for that!