PDA

View Full Version : What move will it take to win the WS?

will5979
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
1. A leadoff man?
2. A cleanup hitter?
3. LF
4. SS
5. A combo of the above?
6. A closer?

Discuss please.

I for one say sign someone to play LF that can drive in runs, and also look for an upgrade at SS.

For the closer role, Aroldis Chapman.

mroby85
12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd say a LF cleanup hitter gives us a legitimate chance. Nothing is a guarantee though, you can be far and away the best team, and still not win it, thats even more scary when you're a team like the Reds and have a "2 year window" lol.

will5979
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd say a LF cleanup hitter gives us a legitimate chance. Nothing is a guarantee though, you can be far and away the best team, and still not win it, thats even more scary when you're a team like the Reds and have a "2 year window" lol.

Very true!

Just look at the 2009-11 Phillies, the many Yankee teams, and the 72 Reds. I'd like to get there though, just have that experience again in my life.

jhu1321
12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I think Cozart is more than serviceable at SS. Some stability in left field would be nice but I'd like to see Heisey get a full time shot until the all star break and see how his numbers look. In my opinion the key to this years team will be:

A) A more consistent Jay Bruce at the plate. During portions of last year he looked like a .300 35-40 homer stud....... and other times looked like we should send him to AA he looked so lost. He has to step up this year and show some consistency.

B) Drew Stubbs' ability to not strike out 200 times in a year. If somebody could teach him how to bunt (or at least make contact) he would be absolutely lethal at the top of the lineup. If he could cut out his strike out total by 50 and utilize the bunt I think he could easily manage 20-25 more hits this year which would bring his average up to about .275 and his OBP around .350. With his speed I'd take that at the top of our lineup.

code
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I am going to say a Powerhitting left fielder that can bat between Votto and Bruce.

dMaus14
12-19-2011, 02:20 PM
I would say to sign Beltran for multiple reasons:

1. He is an above average LF defensively
2. He is a switch hitting middle of the order bat to split up Votto/Bruce
3. We get our extra LH bat as well as our RH power bat
4. He is a veteran that I think many of us won't complain the Dusty plays over a younger guy
5. The biggest reason ... we can keep him from the Cardinals!

brm7675
12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Health...and Luck.

FireDusty
12-19-2011, 02:46 PM

4. He is a veteran that I think many of us won't complain the Dusty plays over a younger guy

You are kidding right?

FireDusty
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I think Cozart is more than serviceable at SS. Some stability in left field would be nice but I'd like to see Heisey get a full time shot until the all star break and see how his numbers look. In my opinion the key to this years team will be:

A) A more consistent Jay Bruce at the plate. During portions of last year he looked like a .300 35-40 homer stud....... and other times looked like we should send him to AA he looked so lost. He has to step up this year and show some consistency.

B) Drew Stubbs' ability to not strike out 200 times in a year. If somebody could teach him how to bunt (or at least make contact) he would be absolutely lethal at the top of the lineup. If he could cut out his strike out total by 50 and utilize the bunt I think he could easily manage 20-25 more hits this year which would bring his average up to about .275 and his OBP around .350. With his speed I'd take that at the top of our lineup.
Pretty much agree.

I don't think Stubbs will ever be a top of the lineup force. I believe he needs less pressure to be an OBA guy and would be a nice fit for 6th or 7th in the lineup. I would also like his plate appearances cut way back from the 670 last year to around 500.

jhu1321
12-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Who's going to lead off then? Phillips? If Stubbs could make contact more it looks like this:

Stubbs
Phillips
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Heisey/Sappelt
Mes/Hannigan
Cozart

I like it. Moving Phillips to leadoff throws the whole thing off balance don't ya think?

lidspinner
12-19-2011, 03:26 PM
I think all we need is for drew stubbs to learn the art of batting leadoff. As mentioned before if we can get him to give us 2 extra hits a week then he is a .300 hitter with top shelf speed. If he learns to bunt and learns to hit behind his runners then he becomes lethal and he becomes someone we can only afford for a few years. Turn his approach around and this team can add a few more wins with that alone. Throw in Mat Latos and you you have an extra 15-20 wins a year. Its not like we suck,this team can make a run we just need a little luck and a little bit of brains from our players.

R_Webb18
12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
how good is mes? why can't he bat 4th or 5th?

Captain13
12-19-2011, 04:00 PM

I think he is way out of the Reds price range, but I agree with everything you just said. The one thing about Beltran I don't love: injuries.

UPRedsFan
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
None of the above.

My choice would be another SP on the same level or better than Latos. (note: this could mean Homer or Chapman emerge as that kind of starter this year) If that happens I'm expecting a world series appearance.

SpanishArmada
12-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Trade Heisey, Chapman, and Wood to Cleveland for Justin Masterson, Tony Sipp and Vinnie Pestano. Then use the money saved to sign Beltran.

Lineup:
1. 2B Phillips
2. SS Cozart
3. 1B Votto
4. LF Beltran
5. RF Bruce
6. CF Stubbs
7. 3B Rolen
8. C Mesoraco

Rotation:
1. Latos
2. Cueto
3. Masterson
4. Leake
5. Arroyo/Bailey

Pen:
Lecure, Ondrusek, Bray, Arredondo, Bailey/Arroyo

Setup: Masset, Sipp (L)
Closer: Pestano

Championship

texasdave
12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
If Scott Rolen can play a 'healthy' 120 games, the Reds are in like Flynn.

nux fan
12-20-2011, 01:06 AM
rolen needs to quit as he is not half the hitter francisco will be

Hondo
12-20-2011, 07:53 PM
This team needs a legit Lead Off Hitter... It allows Phillips to Bat 2nd or even 6th and gets some runners on base in front of Votto/Bruce/Rolen.

This team also needs a Right Handed Hitting LF'er who can Hit 25-30 Homers.

That's what will make this team a WS contender.

I think the Reds have "In House" Closer options.

Masset getting the first opprotunity.

Outlaw133
12-20-2011, 09:03 PM
how good is mes? why can't he bat 4th or 5th?

Aside from just 53 major league plate appearances and a ML batting average of .180? He did hit 2 homeruns in roughly 50 at bats, which equates to 20 HRs in 500 at bats. Not exactly cleanup stats. Yet.

Outlaw133
12-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Stubbs is fast, but not all fast players can successfully bunt for a hit. Ralph Garr comes to mind. Park him 6th or 7th and let him do his thing. Jay needs to be more consistent. 35 homeruns is doable, but a .280 average is probably the best he can hope for anytime soon.

The DARK
12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
A closer, combined with success from the unproven players and those in need of a breakout (Chapman, Heisey, Cozart, Mesoraco, Bailey, Bruce).