PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Rollins' payday and BP

dfs
12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Morning paper says Jimmy Rollins signed a below marked deal at 33 million over 3 years with both sides having an option on a fourth year.

It would seem this would help us set a value on Brandon Phillips. Rollins plays shortstop, but Phillips is younger and a better hitter.

So, If you're Walt do you even think about re-upping on Phillips on those kind of terms?

Vottomatic
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Frankly, I was shocked they gave Rollins that much.

Caveat Emperor
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Frankly, I was shocked they gave Rollins that much.

Especially given that word out of Philly was that the team was already having a case of buyers remorse on the deal they handed out to Chase Utley.

Vottomatic
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Especially given that word out of Philly was that the team was already having a case of buyers remorse on the deal they handed out to Chase Utley.

The only thing I can come up with is that Rollins is one of those good team guys, the glue that keeps things together-type guy. Maybe he's important to that favorite word you hear so often..........chemistry.

But other than that.......at 33 years old........I'm surprised he got that much money.

bucksfan2
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
The Phillies have gone all in. I would have never given Rollins that contract but it fits with their time table. They may just have the best team in the NL for the next 2 or so seasons. Then your going to have age, awful contracts (Ryan Howard) and a shotty farm system to deal with.

lollipopcurve
12-20-2011, 11:36 AM
The Phillies have gone all in

As has their revenue stream -- they've been selling out their home schedule (or close to it) for a few years now.

Benihana
12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Morning paper says Jimmy Rollins signed a below marked deal at 33 million over 3 years with both sides having an option on a fourth year.

It would seem this would help us set a value on Brandon Phillips. Rollins plays shortstop, but Phillips is younger and a better hitter.

So, If you're Walt do you even think about re-upping on Phillips on those kind of terms?

I would love it if the Reds could sign BP to a 3 year $33 MM deal. Love it. Especially if one of those 3 years was 2012.

Then Hamilton or Torreyes could take over 2B in 2015.

JaxRed
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
No way that was below market. All the talk I heard was there was little interest in Rollins at the numbers he was asking for. Phillies bid against themselves.

jojo
12-20-2011, 01:04 PM

I'd argue they're very similar hitters:
A: career= .272/.329/.432
B: career= .272/.322/.434

Rollins is just older and has injury concerns which I think is where the comp breaks down...