PDA

View Full Version : Wood to Chicago Agreed in Principle

wvreds
12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
According to Bruce Levine of espn Chicago the deal is pending physicals between Wood, Marshall, and the two prospects

wvreds
12-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Danny Knobler of CBS just confirmed this also

HalKing
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
:thumbdown:I don't even have to hear the names of the minor leaguers in this one... Walt has lost his mind to give up anything more than Wood for a one-year rental of Sean Marshall.

R_Webb18
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
:thumbdown:I don't even have to hear the names of the minor leaguers in this one... Walt has lost his mind to give up anything more than Wood for a one-year rental of Sean Marshall.

its just wood. yes theres 2 others but there never going to sniff the mlb club.

redsfan1995
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
For 2012 not a bad deal but if the reds dont resign marshall after 2012 i believe hes a free agent then its a bad deal.

CWRed
12-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Let's wait to see the prospects before going nuts. And if Marshall can be extended more than one year I'm ok with it. Wood might be good but he's a fly ball pitcher. His 2011 was fairly awful even in AAA. Marshall is considered by many to be the best lefty reliever in baseball. So let's see what happens. This moves confirms though that the Reds wasnt to win now. Next year. Immediately.

dMaus14
12-21-2011, 05:25 PM
He is arguably the best reliever in the majors; Wood is a #5-6 this year and who had a bad year last year! Frankly if we are giving him and 2 low expectancy prospects I'm cool with it.

The Rage
12-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Let's wait to see the prospects before going nuts. And if Marshall can be extended more than one year I'm ok with it. Wood might be good but he's a fly ball pitcher. His 2011 was fairly awful even in AAA. Marshall is considered by many to be the best lefty reliever in baseball. So let's see what happens. This moves confirms though that the Reds wasnt to win now. Next year. Immediately.

Meh, "flyball" pitcher is pushing it. I think he can miss some bats and improve his groundball percentage as he matures.

He may have a middle rotation upside, but the Reds have very little pitching depth now.

CWRed
12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes he does have an upside obviously. Scares me too. And depth may be a problem. But most every team has that problem. Also, Marshall is brutal on lefties, including the Reds lefties. Won't have to face him any more at least for a year. I'm guessing Walt's not done. I'm going to plotz.

HalKing
12-21-2011, 05:33 PM
So some of you folks are good with giving up more than a guy who came within an eyelash of pitching a perfect game against the Phillies in 2010 for a lefty reliever that the Reds have no shot in hell at signing beyond the one year on his contract. Yeah, thats brilliant.

R_Webb18
12-21-2011, 05:37 PM
So some of you folks are good with giving up more than a guy who came within an eyelash of pitching a perfect game against the Phillies in 2010 for a lefty reliever that the Reds have no shot in hell at signing beyond the one year on his contract. Yeah, thats brilliant.

yes

The Rage
12-21-2011, 05:37 PM

People overreact to struggles. Cliff Lee struggled like hell at times putting it together. My guess the Reds soured on Wood after last year. I thought alot of Woods problems were just youth and lack of confidence. The league adjusted to him some and he got a bit flustered. Wouldn't be the first or last young pitcher to have that happen.

brm7675
12-21-2011, 05:41 PM

How do you know it's a one year rental, maybe they get a contract extension done...

texasdave
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM
You have to give quality to get quality. Marshall has been, arguably, the best reliever in baseball for the past two seasons. He wasn't coming cheaply.

Besides the jury is still out on Travis Wood. He seems like a nice guy and I wish him well. But his being a successful major league pitcher isn't a given by any means.

brm7675
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Len Barker pitched a perfect game...what is your point? How do you know the Reds have no shot, have you spoken with Walt?

brm7675
12-21-2011, 05:47 PM
People overreact to struggles. Cliff Lee struggled like hell at times putting it together. My guess the Reds soured on Wood after last year. I thought alot of Woods problems were just youth and lack of confidence. The league adjusted to him some and he got a bit flustered. Wouldn't be the first or last young pitcher to have that happen.

Why does it have to be that the Reds "soured" on Woods? Could it just be that Walt wanted to strengthen the bullpen and to do so required parting with pitcher X who turns out to be Wood. Players are traded because of what they can bring...

texasdave
12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Why does it have to be that the Reds "soured" on Woods? Could it just be that Walt wanted to strengthen the bullpen and to do so required parting with pitcher X who turns out to be Wood. Players are traded because of what they can bring...

Exactly. They weren't getting Marshall by offering Sam LeCure.

vin19
12-21-2011, 06:25 PM
unless he is going to become the closer and gets extended i dont see this being that great of a trade. i thought wood had a lot of potential but maybe the fo saw something different. either way i like are chances for 2012

SultanOfSwing
12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
PioDeportes1 PioDeportes
#Cubs likely to get Daniel Corcino from #Reds along with Wood in the Marshall deal

brm7675
12-21-2011, 06:39 PM
PioDeportes1 PioDeportes
#Cubs likely to get Daniel Corcino from #Reds along with Wood in the Marshall deal

Who is Daniel Corcino?

SultanOfSwing
12-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Daniel Corcino (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=corcin001dan)

4.Daniel Corcino SP 08/26/90 H:5’11” W:165 – One of those pitchers that tends to be viewed by his body rather than his body of work, Daniel Corcino is starting to demand prospect attention. He certainly does not have the prototypical innings-eating, workhorse body at 5’11” and 165 pounds. But his “stuff” definitely fits the mold of a major league power pitcher. His fastball hits the mid-90’s and is nicely complimented by a slider and change. He was good for a 3.42 era and 11-7 record in single A ball during the 2011 season. More importantly he only issued 34 free passes in 139.1 innings-pitched. Batters had to earn their way on base, and that is exactly what you want from a starting pitcher. As the icing on the cake, Corcino fanned 156 batters in that same 139.1 innings pitched. There is nothing wrong with any of those numbers, and it is safe to say that he needs to be challenged at the next level.

Our Instinct: To circle around to where we began, the biggest negative for Corcino is his diminutive size. Throwing in the mid-90’s as a starting pitcher requires a body that can take a lot of physical demand. His physique puts him at risk of injury. The 139 innings he pitched in 2011 is a great start, but he needs to back that up in 2012 with an even high number of innings pitched. He needs to increase his arm strength and durability as he increases his level of competition. Look for him to start in High A ball, and we expect more of the kind of numbers seen in 2011. If he holds up, he has major league starter “stuff”.

Via Baseball Instinct...Ranked 4th in their system

The Rage
12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
PioDeportes1 PioDeportes

You wish

SultanOfSwing
12-21-2011, 07:05 PM
PioDeportes1 (http://twitter.com/piodeportes1) PioDeportes
Trying to confirm but I think Steve Ames (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ames--001ste) is also in the #Cubs/#Reds deal
14 minutes ago

texasdave
12-21-2011, 07:32 PM
The Reds, as far as I know, don't even have a Steve Ames in the organization.

wvreds
12-21-2011, 07:42 PM
thats bs no way we trade corcino and plus this Steve Ames played for AA Chatt. The reds AA team is Carolina?

JayBruceFan
12-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Ames is with the Dodgers

R_Webb18
12-21-2011, 07:49 PM
reds fans are in love with two many players. they can't trade anyone or everyones hates it.

Nathan
12-21-2011, 07:56 PM
reds fans are in love with two many players. they can't trade anyone or everyones hates it.

No, it's just Corcino is one of the few starting pitching prospects the Reds have. There's nothing wrong with trading players, there is, however something wrong with trading ALL your players.

edit: I'd be extremely shocked and disappointed if Corcino was involved in this trade. The two minor league players are probably the equivalent of Curly and Moe.

The Rage
12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
No, it's just Corcino is one of the few starting pitching prospects the Reds have. There's nothing wrong with trading players, there is, however something wrong with trading ALL your players.

Yup. Corc would be way to much. The Reds need to rebuild the system or they won't have anybody to trade or develope as replacements when the current crop grows to expensive.

Corcino and Stephenson are the new breed.

webbbj
12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
pple complain when the reds do something, pple complain when the reds do nothing. cant please anyone.

Eric the Red
12-21-2011, 08:21 PM
PioDeportes1 (http://twitter.com/piodeportes1) PioDeportes
Trying to confirm but I think Steve Ames (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ames--001ste) is also in the #Cubs/#Reds deal
14 minutes ago

I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if Corcino is in this deal. This is the same twitter handle that said the Blue Jays had won the rights to Darvish by outbiding the Yankees back on Dec 16. I'm not buying it.

Stray
12-21-2011, 08:24 PM
It sounds like the plan is to win now. I didn't trust our bullben at all, even the guys that looked good on paper didn't really seem all that good to me. Marshall is a ginormous upgrade to our pen.

I'd like to have a team capable of more than just contending, I like it.

SidneySlicker
12-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Count me in. Last year Marshall pitched 16.1inn againt st louis and the brewers and gave up 0 earned runs. Marshalls career numbers vrs the cards 31 games 63inns 2.71 era.

Eric the Red
12-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Corcino doesn't seem to be in the deal per Keith Law. He also indicates the two prospects are not no names either.

https://twitter.com/#!/keithlaw

takealeake
12-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Great move, put this guy at closer, he can do a hell of a lot better than Cordero.

LexRedsFan
12-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't hate this move as long as the Reds fully commit to this win now strategy. Go and get a LF or closer and I'm completely on board.