PDA

View Full Version : Our mysterious friend at it again

wvreds
12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Remember the mysterious Johnny Smith on twitter. Well he has posted that news coming soon that reds will have minimum of one COCO on roster maybe Two hmmmmmm????

vin19
12-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I dont mind cordero coming back as long as its fairly cheap and as for coco crisp id rather pass unless he's just a 4th OF. lifetime .275/.330/.406

The DARK
12-23-2011, 05:36 PM
It's probably Cordero, since we seem to be the only suitor. For how long, who knows.

SidneySlicker
12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Agreed. Not sure Crisp is an upgrade over the current Reds starters. Cordero would be ok with me for the right amount of dollars and if it only a year or two with the 2nd year being a team option. He's going to be 36 in May so he's really at the end.

texasdave
12-23-2011, 05:54 PM
It's probably Cordero, since we seem to be the only suitor. For how long, who knows.

Anything longer than a week is too long for me. He was toast at the end of last year. In 2011 he switched from flamethrower to finesse pitcher. he lost 1.5 MPH off his fastball (94.5 to 93.0 per Fangraphs). In 2010 he threw his hard stuff (fastball/slider) 93.3% off the team. His offspeed pitches 6.7%. In 2011 he threw his hard stuff just 71.3%. His offspeed pitches 28.7%. Never in his career had he thrown his curve ball more than 0.9% in a season. Last year 9.8% I recall several games in September that a line drive right at someone turned into a double play saved his carcass. His BABIP in 2011 was .214, as compared to .291 lifetime. His LOB% last year was 82.3% as opposed to 76.9%. I don't think he can repeat those numbers.

No, thank you very much.

EDIT: Okay, 93.0 for a fastball isn't exactly finesse pitcher territory. But if the trend on losing MPHs off his fastball continues, I don't want to see him in Reds' uniform for the next two years.

brm7675
12-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Anything longer than a week is too long for me. He was toast at the end of last year. In 2011 he switched from flamethrower to finesse pitcher. he lost 1.5 MPH off his fastball (94.5 to 93.0 per Fangraphs). In 2010 he threw his hard stuff (fastball/slider) 93.3% off the team. His offspeed pitches 6.7%. In 2011 he threw his hard stuff just 71.3%. His offspeed pitches 28.7%. Never in his career had he thrown his curve ball more than 0.9% in a season. Last year 9.8% I recall several games in September that a line drive right at someone turned into a double play saved his carcass. His BABIP in 2011 was .214, as compared to .291 lifetime. His LOB% last year was 82.3% as opposed to 76.9%. I don't think he can repeat those numbers.

No, thank you very much.

EDIT: Okay, 93.0 for a fastball isn't exactly finesse pitcher territory. But if the trend on losing MPHs off his fastball continues, I don't want to see him in Reds' uniform for the next two years.

Okay of NO on Co-Co then what options on the FA market can the Reds afford?

goreds2
12-23-2011, 10:20 PM
If Chapman is going to start, sign Cordero, please?

Redus
12-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Coco Crisp and Cordero...hmm. Eh I'll take it as we now have very few chips left to trade. Crisp could lead off, steal some bags and play good d in left. He also has a little pop and the GABP would serve him well, while Cordero could bang out 30 saves at a decent rate as we are his only suitor.

R_Webb18
12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Coco Crisp and Cordero...hmm. Eh I'll take it as we now have very few chips left to trade. Crisp could lead off, steal some bags and play good d in left. He also has a little pop and the GABP would serve him well, while Cordero could bang out 30 saves at a decent rate as we are his only suitor.

plz no

Pitchout
12-27-2011, 12:24 PM
I follow JohnnySmith28 on Twitter and I see no mention of these tweets you describe. Can you clarify where you saw this?

jmt5887
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I follow JohnnySmith28 on Twitter and I see no mention of these tweets you describe. Can you clarify where you saw this?

I did a search for his mentions and find some RT of his tweet. it seems Johnny deleted the tweet.

Pitchout
12-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Interesting, thanks. Appreciate the info.

Krawhitham
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Coco Crisp is scraping the bottom of the barrel

He is our new Willy Taveras who was our new Corey Patterson who was our new Norris Hopper who was our new Ryan Freel

brad1176
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM

He is our new Willy Taveras who was our new Corey Patterson who was our new Norris Hopper who was our new Ryan Freel

Agreed.

LegallyMinded
12-27-2011, 10:39 PM

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. There are legitimate concerns about Crisp's ability to stay healthy, and perhaps about how a player with his skillset might age, but he has three seasons of four or more WAR, which gives him a much more solid resume than Taveras, Patterson, Hopper or Freel. He has a more established track record of success, and so I think there's only a very slight chance he'd be a repeat Patterson in '08 or Taveras in '09.

The DARK
12-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Frankly, I'd be more concerned that we go after Pierre. His steals and on-base percentage took a nosedive this past year, and he's more than two years older than Crisp.

At this point though, you have to imagine that Walt is looking at potential leadoff men. Phillips is versatile enough to bat 2nd or 4th depending on how Bruce does in cleanup duty, so a true leadoff man would open up possibilities for the rest of the lineup. And unless we can muster enough pieces and utterly demolish the system for a trade for someone like Quentin, there's nobody left out there who could legitimately fill that role.