PDA

View Full Version : Bailey to the Red Sox

Thomaswaynem
12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Red Sox just traded for Andrew Bailey. Closer prices are going to drop even further now. I would say that it is a guarantee that the Reds will get Cordero or Madson. Interesting that all they gave up was Josh Reddick. Not sure I would have done it, but it seems the Reds could have given up Heisey and had Bailey for the next few years.

jmt5887
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Red Sox just traded for Andrew Bailey. Closer prices are going to drop even further now. I would say that it is a guarantee that the Reds will get Cordero or Madson. Interesting that all they gave up was Josh Reddick. Not sure I would have done it, but it seems the Reds could have given up Heisey and had Bailey for the next few years.
Trade was this:
3-for-2 is: Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney for Josh Reddick, Miles Head and Raul Alcantera.

Thomaswaynem
12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeh they just added the extra names. Originally it was just Reddick for Bailey on MLBTR

jmt5887
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeh they just added the extra names. Originally it was just Reddick for Bailey on MLBTR

I was following on Twitter. It was Reddick Plus for Bailey. MLBTR just went witht he intital tweet saying that Reddick was part of the deal.

Thomaswaynem
12-28-2011, 05:28 PM
If ever there was a time to make a splash and have a backend of Marshall and Madson now is the time.

cinredsfan2000
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Whoa i thought for a min. we traded homer :p

brm7675
12-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I think Walt will go with Co-co over Madsen...

TheBigLebowski
12-28-2011, 05:52 PM
There's nothing out there in FA that would be an improvement in LF. Only way to get better there is via trade. So toss the cash at Ryan Madson. Cordero is done.

JayBruceFan
12-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Whoa i thought for a min. we traded homer :p

Haha. Same here. The title is a bit misleading

Crumbley
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Reds are pretty thin at OF now that Sappelt is out of the picture, it'd be hard to get me to part with any of them.

Tuff Nut
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I think Walt will go with Co-co over Madsen...
I'd rather have Madsen. Get JD Drew as LH power bat off bench/part starter. I'd also hold onto Frazier over Theriot.

LegallyMinded
12-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Not sure I would have done it, but it seems the Reds could have given up Heisey and had Bailey for the next few years.

Heisey and Reddick are certainly similar players: Heisey has a .254/.316/.465 slash line accumulated over parts of 2010 and 2011, vs. a .263/.305/.430 line for Reddick in the same time period. Both also strike out quite a bit and don't walk much.

Reddick, though, is 3 years younger and has one more year before he's arbitration eligible. Given the direction Oakland is going this offseason, I imagine that made him much more appealing than Heisey, and so while I would have been delighted to acquire Bailey, I'm not sure it was a realistic option to deal Heisey for him.

texasdave
12-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Can someone please explain to me how super-genius Billy Beane can continue to win trade after trade and yet Oakland continues to post losing record after losing record? There seems to be a serious disconnect here.

izzy's dad
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Can someone please explain to me how super-genius Billy Beane can continue to win trade after trade and yet Oakland continues to post losing record after losing record? There seems to be a serious disconnect here.

I have been saying the same thing for years. The A's had some good teams in the early 2000's, but nothing special, and no playoff appearances recently. I think Beane gets too much credit. That being said, I think he won this trade.