PDA

View Full Version : 4 moves the Reds need to make to win the WS

fewfirstchoice
01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
1)sign Ryan Madsen to a 3yr 20mil deal

2)sign Roy Oswalt to 2 year 12mil deal

3)sign Ludwick to a 1 yr 3 mil deal

4) sign Theroit to a 1 yr 1mil deal

I know the money kills these deals. But if they make these deals they win the WS. So 15 mil more for a WS.

redsfan1995
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Like you said money would kill these deals but I think they could get Madson for the deal you mentioned out of that list I would take Madson.

Hillsdale87
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Would Oswalt be that cheap? Also it would kill me if he played for the Reds after I've hated him all these years. Probably my most hated player, but I don't really know why.

jhu1321
01-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't think we could get any of those players for the money listed.

americanoutlaw1
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
I am failing to see how Ryan Ludwick helps out. He had a very good season 4 years ago. I would rather go into the season with Heisey and Frazier in left. And I do not want to do that... I do like Madson though

alett12
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
The reds DO NOT NEED ROY OSWALT. He is a past his prime pitcher and I really don't see leake being taken out of the rotation for any free agent at this point. I would hope homer is put in the pen with the fact that bronson won't be taken out of the rotation. here are the 4 moves i think the reds need to make
1. Sign Madson to 1yr 9 Million
2. bring is a veteran 3rd baseman like Vizquel, Kouzmanoff, Betemit, or maybe brooks conrad
3. Bring in a back up SS or Vizquel
4. bring in a 4th outfielder who can play all 4 outfield positions such as a Ankiel, Foukedome, Willie Harris, Cody Ross, or dare i say this but corey patterson

brm7675
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
1)sign Ryan Madsen to a 3yr 20mil deal

2)sign Roy Oswalt to 2 year 12mil deal

3)sign Ludwick to a 1 yr 3 mil deal

4) sign Theroit to a 1 yr 1mil deal

I know the money kills these deals. But if they make these deals they win the WS. So 15 mil more for a WS.

1. It will take more then 6 million a year to get Madsen, try like around 9-10 per year and that is not worth it.

2. Why would you want to sign an aging injuried pitcher to a two year deal at 6 million per year.

3. We have better options on the roster then Ludwick

4. What does Theriot bring that we don't already have?

jhu1321
01-05-2012, 12:21 PM
The reds DO NOT NEED ROY OSWALT. He is a past his prime pitcher and I really don't see leake being taken out of the rotation for any free agent at this point. I would hope homer is put in the pen with the fact that bronson won't be taken out of the rotation. here are the 4 moves i think the reds need to make
1. Sign Madson to 1yr 9 Million
2. bring is a veteran 3rd baseman like Vizquel, Kouzmanoff, Betemit, or maybe brooks conrad
3. Bring in a back up SS or Vizquel
4. bring in a 4th outfielder who can play all 4 outfield positions such as a Ankiel, Foukedome, Willie Harris, Cody Ross, or dare i say this but corey patterson

1. Madson's agent is Scott Boras. Not going to happen.
2. Juan Fransisco will be our backup 3rd baseman (starter once Rolen gets hurt.)
3. Paul Janish is the backup shortstop.
4. Did you really include Corey Patterson?

The only move your suggesting that has any bearing on the this season would be # 1.

alett12
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
1. Madson's agent is Scott Boras. Not going to happen.
2. Juan Fransisco will be our backup 3rd baseman (starter once Rolen gets hurt.)
3. Paul Janish is the backup shortstop.
4. Did you really include Corey Patterson?

The only move your suggesting that has any bearing on the this season would be # 1.

1. It might happen, i could see boras putting together a deal for him similar to the one Soriano got with the yankees last season
2. Fransisco is sthe back up yes, and frazier after him but a veteran back up might be a good idea considering fansisco's injury history
3. Janish can't hit. it's that simple.
4. Patterson can play all three spots, he can play defense he would be a 4th outfielder.

brm7675
01-05-2012, 02:15 PM
1. It might happen, i could see boras putting together a deal for him similar to the one Soriano got with the yankees last season
2. Fransisco is sthe back up yes, and frazier after him but a veteran back up might be a good idea considering fansisco's injury history
3. Janish can't hit. it's that simple.
4. Patterson can play all three spots, he can play defense he would be a 4th outfielder.

You say Janish can't hit and thus not worthy but you are okay with no hitting Patterson?

GoReds19
01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't think there is anyway Madson signs for that. I'd say more like 3 years 30 mil, and theres no way the Reds can afford that.

alett12
01-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I honestly am fine with marshall and masset going at it

brm7675
01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I honestly am fine with marshall and masset going at it

going at what? Because it can't be Closer because we all know Dusty knows a closer when he see's one and neither of these guys are closer material according to Dusty's view...:confused:

rgslone
01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Although SP may not be the most pressing need for the Reds at this time; I would still love to see the Reds sign Oswalt for a 1 yr. deal (it was reported a few days ago that Oswalt was willing to sign a 1 yr. deal). In my opinion, he's still at least a #2 starter, and very well could be a #1 for another year or two. The Reds won't get Oswalt, but if we're just wishing here . . . I say get Oswalt.

alett12
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Although SP may not be the most pressing need for the Reds at this time; I would still love to see the Reds sign Oswalt for a 1 yr. deal (it was reported a few days ago that Oswalt was willing to sign a 1 yr. deal). In my opinion, he's still at least a #2 starter, and very well could be a #1 for another year or two. The Reds won't get Oswalt, but if we're just wishing here . . . I say get Oswalt.

1. Latos
2. Cueto
3. Leake
4. Bailey
5. Arroyo
6. Chapman
I don't see them bringing in a guy who has only been a starter. maybe a guy who has been a swing man but not a starter

rgslone
01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
1. Latos
2. Cueto
3. Leake
4. Bailey
5. Arroyo
6. Chapman
I don't see them bringing in a guy who has only been a starter. maybe a guy who has been a swing man but not a starter

Again, I know it's not going to happen; but I don't see anything about that list of starting pitchers that says the Reds couldn't use Oswalt. In fact, I think that he could make the starting rotation drastically better. Our starting rotation, as you listed it, has a lot of potential and might be fine (even more than fine). On the other hand, that list has a number of question marks. For example, I like Leake a lot, but is he ready to be a dependable, consistent #3? I hope so, but he's pretty young. Then you have Arroyo. I think most of his issues can be largely attributed to his bout with Mono - it seems that more often than not, athletes who contract Mono take a season to recover. Still, I don't know that for a fact, he may really be in decline. Then you have Bailey and Chapman. How can anybody be confident at this point that either is a reliable starter? Now, I know most teams are going to have questions with their starting rotations; but why would you not want Oswalt if it's a possibility?

alett12
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Again, I know it's not going to happen; but I don't see anything about that list of starting pitchers that says the Reds couldn't use Oswalt. In fact, I think that he could make the starting rotation drastically better. Our starting rotation, as you listed it, has a lot of potential and might be fine (even more than fine). On the other hand, that list has a number of question marks. For example, I like Leake a lot, but is he ready to be a dependable, consistent #3? I hope so, but he's pretty young. Then you have Arroyo. I think most of his issues can be largely attributed to his bout with Mono - it seems that more often than not, athletes who contract Mono take a season to recover. Still, I don't know that for a fact, he may really be in decline. Then you have Bailey and Chapman. How can anybody be confident at this point that either is a reliable starter? Now, I know most teams are going to have questions with their starting rotations; but why would you not want Oswalt if it's a possibility?

Dusty won't take Arroyo out of the rotation, meaning Oswalt would bump Leake, Bailey, or Chapman. Leake was your 2nd best pitcher and should be your number 3 going into this season after the addition of latos. Bailey still has an extremely high ceiling i know it sound cliche but he would be my pick for 4th at this point and arroyo 5th with chapman getting ready in the minors or going to the pen to close. Oswalt doesnt fit.

brad1176
01-09-2012, 11:49 AM
After the Latos trade, Oswalt doesn't fit. We do need a spot starter, people like Micah Owings, Tim Wakefield, etc. Owings can pinch hit too, who could forget his homer against the Cards. I don't see Chapman being in the rotation this year, I'd say he's in Louisville for the year.

alett12
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
After the Latos trade, Oswalt doesn't fit. We do need a spot starter, people like Micah Owings, Tim Wakefield, etc. Owings can pinch hit too, who could forget his homer against the Cards. I don't see Chapman being in the rotation this year, I'd say he's in Louisville for the year.

Some say lecure is that spot starter and I like owings but the guy I wish they really could have gotten was Aaron Cook until he got on with Boston

brad1176
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Lecure is a spot starter, but then you leave a hole in the bullpen to be filled by the likes of Horst, Fisher, Smith, etc.

mikemo14
01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
I think you are right on the needs of this club. Oswalt would add a prescence in the middle of the rotation and Ludwick teamed with Heisey could be deadly in left. Not big on Theriot but that deal is probaly the most likely of the four. Madson's price will need to fall more to fit in Walt's budget.