PDA

View Full Version : outfield help - Cepedes

stereodose
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
•A source says Cespedes' eventual contract will be in the range of four years and $32MM, writes MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. "Several teams have backed away" from Cespedes' original goal of an eight-year, $60MM contract.

He has the most upside of any player available at a position of need. Madson at closer would also improve the team. Agent Boras is frustrated with the closer market for Madson and said he would wait til sping training to get a contract for Madson (1 Year -10mil. ?)

How much payroll can the Reds add ?

Cepedes is best friends with Aroldis Chapman and will be available for free agency on Jan. 15th.

Is this the Reds next BIG Move?

R_Webb18
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
id say no.

drowg14
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
If he could help out big time this year I'd say go for it, but a lot of reports have him as a work in progress if I'm not mistaken. Not sure we want to spend 8 mil a year on something that's not a sure thing.

R_Webb18
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
If he could help out big time this year I'd say go for it, but a lot of reports have him as a work in progress if I'm not mistaken. Not sure we want to spend 8 mil a year on something that's not a sure thing.

this is what im scared of. +he's 26 right? not like he's 22.

jhu1321
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Agreed, I don't think they'll target Cespedes.

stereodose
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I agree.

Its hard to tell if he is all hype or a instant star.

I wonder if the Reds have had contact with him and atended a workout or they view him as a over-rated money pit.

nux fan
01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
i am sure he does not make as much contact as stubbs

stereodose
01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
If he can't hit with Stubbs (your opinion) then the reds should steer clear :yikes:

Redus
01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Im hoping we come out of nowhere ala Chapman and sign him. However I dont think theyre interested. Hes the only talented FA left for left field.

Crumbley
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't get. Keep this money in your back pocket for Votto's extension.

joshua
01-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Rumors are that Cespedes could be had for 4 years, 32 million. He's 26 so we'll have him during some prime years, he's a physical freak, he's a RH bat with opposite field power we could use in the lineup and his natural position is CF. So he would more than likely be able to handle right while Heisey or Stubbs play CF. Some scouts are grading him at high 70's in power and speed. Dude is a beast. Longer swing and he's aggressive at the plate, but still doesn't strike out much. He holds the Cuban League single season home run record.

2009-10 Numbers in Cuba (in 87 games) .345/.426/.617 87 runs, 22 homers

2010-10 Numbers in Cuba (in 90 games) .333/.424/.667 89 Runs, 33 homers

"Arguably the best all-around player to come out of Cuba in a generation." - Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus

"He is real, very real" - Peter Gammons

Also in one of Cespedes' 20+ minute long videos he's seen wearing Reds gear while doing sit ups and bench press. Is he a fan? Does he know Chapman? Would he come here at a slight discount to be team mates?

If anything, the Reds must absolutely work him out. We have a real shot at signing this guy and I'd much rather go into the season with Heisey as a 4th OF than starting the majority of games. We have some money to play with this season and especially next year and the year after. If Votto leaves we're going to need a major bat in the lineup to maintain our momentum. I think Cespedes is a gamble worth taking. By his second year here he should be up to speed, and so should Mes. Add Votto and hopefully Bruce taking that next step and 2013 is a year where we could make a major run at a World Series title.

stereodose
01-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Madsen 4 years 40 mil or Cepedes 4 years 32 ?
We have options at closer marshall, massett, arredondo, lecure
Who hits between votto and bruce ? Heisey(part-time), Rolen (injuries), Frazier (no)

Instead of "saving the money for Votto" just trade Brandon Phillips at the deadline.
Not to long ago Frazier was rated very high at second base.
Also we still have Cairo, Valaika, Janish, and crazy depth in the minors at second base

R_Webb18
01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
frazier valaika cario janish will never even = clost to brandon p. also no way we win it this year if we trade him.

look at fraziers numbers so overrated its unreal

alett12
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I like hesiey but he would be an interesting sign ecspeaily if you could flip Stubbs for a lock down closer. Don't forget mesoraco to hit between votto and bruce as well

alett12
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I know he wouldnt help the reds this season but what about the other cuban outfielder avaible? He's 18 and scouting reports i've read said he has better raw tools than cepedes.

bagz
01-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Even though we just signed Madsen I say he's worth the risk. Get it done Walt. Maybe he'll accept some of the money of the contract deferred.

texasdave
01-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Day one FAIL! It is only one day though.

Yoenis Cespedes' audition has begun.

Cespedes, a Cuban defector who is applying for residency in the Dominican Republic, debuted Thursday in the Dominican Winter League, lining up for Aguilas Cibaenas against Gigantes del Cibao. He was hitless in three at-bats, striking out in all of them.

In other news, after the game Cespedes revealed that Drew Stubbs is his favorite major leaguer, as well as his inspiration for coming the States to play.

bah1286
01-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Day one FAIL! It is only one day though.

Yoenis Cespedes' audition has begun.

In other news, after the game Cespedes revealed that Drew Stubbs is his favorite major leaguer, as well as his inspiration for coming the States to play.

This is probably what it takes for him to enter the reds price range though he may prove he is not worth anything. Playing in these games is probably not a good move by him.

stereodose
01-13-2012, 05:27 PM
He is a risk , no doubt about it.

Are the Marlins going for him with Crazy Money?

If true the Reds need other options.

Who?

texasdave
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Day Two: 0 for 4 with 1 K.

I bet he is putting a ton of pressure on himself.

brad1176
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
His value was already high to prospective teams, why in the world did he decide to play in the Dominican Winter League?? His contract is dropping with every at bat....

RedlegJunior
01-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Dominican reporters interview him after that first game and ask him who was pursuing him and he name six teams reds were not included. I think he will be a Marlin, they wanna sell tickets and got money to spend I think if he doesn't start hiting in these last few games he's gonna lose money.

Pete4prez
01-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Out of our price range, I still say give Heisey 135 games.

texasdave
01-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Yoenis Cespedes has two hits with six strikeouts in 19 at bats in the Dominican Winter League, tweets Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com.

Watch out for falling prices. This guy may or may not turn out to be the real thing but this was not a smart move. Time will tell. I do respect him for putting himself out there though.

alett12
01-18-2012, 08:19 AM
he's not as good as hesiey. I'd just stick with him

brad1176
01-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Anyone watch the video of Cespedes first home run? Here's the link to the youtube video of it: Yoenis Cespedes first HR - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_xDVWfTkuc&feature=youtube_gdata_player)
I see a LOT of strikeouts in his future with that swing he's got.

alett12
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I'd take the 18 year old Cuban lefty that's now a free agent. I saw some where he throws like 98

texasdave
01-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Bumpdate (since it seems as if combining two words is the way to go these days):

Found this on SBNation.

For a little while, Cespedes has been playing in the Dominican winter league. According to the best numbers I can find, he's so far gone 5-for-35 with a homer, zero walks and ten strikeouts. For the sake of reference, this is a league in which Pedro Feliz has 14 walks and 22 strikeouts. Cespedes might just be a little bit raw. We'll see if that has any effect on his price.

alett12
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I'd rather see heisey get his 600 AB

Red Raindog
01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Anyone watch the video of Cespedes first home run? Here's the link to the youtube video of it: Yoenis Cespedes first HR - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_xDVWfTkuc&feature=youtube_gdata_player)
I see a LOT of strikeouts in his future with that swing he's got.

yeah --- have to agree with you

alett12
01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
yeah --- have to agree with you

as being i almost always post during school i can't see the video, so someone tell me, is it worse than Dunn and Stubbs?

brad1176
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
as being i almost always post during school i can't see the video, so someone tell me, is it worse than Dunn and Stubbs?

It's more like Francisco's, very wild.

alett12
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
That's not as bad.

brad1176
01-26-2012, 02:32 PM
No, but he could easily develop the same loop in his swing that Bruce, Stubbs, and Dunn all have when he tries to hit MLB pitching. I fear Francisco could be headed down that path too.

alett12
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
No, but he could easily develop the same loop in his swing that Bruce, Stubbs, and Dunn all have when he tries to hit MLB pitching. I fear Francisco could be headed down that path too.

I wouldn't put bruce in the same category as Stubbs and Dunn yet. Fransisco has been cutting down on his strikeouts so who knows