PDA

View Full Version : Who is on the bench in 2012?

dougflynn23
01-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Assuming the Reds sign a Fukudome/Ankiel/Ludwick type 4th OF and the Reds carry 12 pitchers, what does the bench look like>

You need a C and MI, so I assume Hanigan and Janish are there. Francisco and the aforementioned 4th OF make 4. That leaves one spot. There is no backup 1B or 5th OF, so I'm wondering if Cairo would be cut loose for a Frazier who can play anywhere.

jmt5887
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Assuming the Reds sign a Fukudome/Ankiel/Ludwick type 4th OF and the Reds carry 12 pitchers, what does the bench look like>

You need a C and MI, so I assume Hanigan and Janish are there. Francisco and the aforementioned 4th OF make 4. That leaves one spot. There is no backup 1B or 5th OF, so I'm wondering if Cairo would be cut loose for a Frazier who can play anywhere.

Cairo
Hanigan/Mes
4th OF
Fransisco
Backup Shortstop

Red Swagger
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Hanigan
Cairo
J Francisco
Frazier (4th OF, utility man)
Janish (back up SS)

RedsfaninMT
01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Hanigan
Cairo
J Francisco
Frazier (4th OF, utility man)
Janish (back up SS)

This!

[deleted]
01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I have supreme doubts about Janish being on the OD roster. I'd say it'll look something like:

Hanigan C
Frazier IF/OF
Cairo IF
Francisco IF/OF
4th Outfielder

Especially considering it looks like Walt might be shopping around for a Theriot-esque backup for Cozart.

Alpha Zero
01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
;2525087']I have supreme doubts about Janish being on the OD roster. I'd say it'll look something like:

Hanigan C
Frazier IF/OF
Cairo IF
Francisco IF/OF
4th Outfielder

Especially considering it looks like Walt might be shopping around for a Theriot-esque backup for Cozart.

I agree with this. I think Frazier is more than capable of playing SS in a pinch, so Janish is kind of a waste of roster space due to his super weak bat.

IamRV
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree with the above posters in that Janish brings nothing to the bench on an everyday basis and if we lose our SS for a few days he's just an hour and a half up the road. Frazier or Cairo can handle SS for the remainder of any one game if an injury to Cozart occurs. If the Reds are smart they will keep Janish in Louisville until needed.

C - Mesoraco
utility - Cairo
IF/OF - Frazier
3B - Francisco
An OF or IF (or someone that can play both like Wilson Betemit) that will be acquired this week if Walt ain't lyin'

Red Swagger
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I def want Frazier to be the back up SS when needed, and start Janish in AAA. I just hope Walt feels the same way. If this happens then I would expect Ludwick or Ankiel to be signed.

bcmachine
01-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Not sure if there is space on the roster, but how about bringing Manny Ramirez as a pinch-hitter? Can't play for 50 games, but would be a nice bat to bring in in June. Would it be worth it?

Old NDN
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Who backs up Votto....Cairo, Francisco, Frazier? Has Ludwick ever played 1B?

sdwagers
01-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Who backs up Votto....Cairo, Francisco, Frazier? Has Ludwick ever played 1B?

Cairo. He's done it before - he will do it again.

Red Swagger
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM
J Francisco plays 1st as well.

Now the bench is:

Mesoraco
J Francisco
Ludwick
Cairo
Janish/Frazier

lidspinner
01-18-2012, 09:03 AM
I kind of look at Janish/Frazier like this......Janish is not in this teams long term plans, he is not a guy who's upside is going to take him to the all star game or the top half of MLB SS's......on the other hand, Frazier has an upside to him that the Reds could really use...he has the tools to hit for average and a small amount of power, he has the ability to play more than just SS, and he is talented enough with the stick to help us more than just on defense. What good is it going to do for Frazier to sit the bench up here and get a few ABs per week? Maybe its a step in the right direction, I dont know.....but I do know that at about the time Chris Heisey started making that turn in AAA, we brought him up to sit the bench and be the 4th OF and he kind of stopped growing as a all around player.....will the same happen to Todd? Will playing in AAA really help Todd anymore than sitting the bench for the Reds? These are the things that the FO has to really consider....

I am not saying that playing everyday in AAA is going to make Todd a better player, but I am saying that Chris H looked as if he could be a star in the making at one time in the minors and he came up, sat the bench as the 4th OF and IMO he treaded water, he never really made that leap that we all wanted him to make....would he have made it in AAA? who knows but I would rather have TF playing everyday in the minors and let him continue to grow as a all around player then bring him up mid season or late season if needed....Janish can start the year as the backup SS and be our send down guy once Todd gets his game in tune.....he is not going to get his game in tune getting 5 ABs a week with the Reds. IMO

texasdave
01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Since 2012 looks like an all-in year, I want the best 25. If that means Todd Frazier is on the bench then so be it. Look at all the prospects that have been dealt away. Push all those chips in. Let's hang a banner this year. I understand that may be shortsighted. But everything so far this off-season seems to be pointing in that direction.

alett12
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Since 2012 looks like an all-in year, I want the best 25. If that means Todd Frazier is on the bench then so be it. Look at all the prospects that have been dealt away. Push all those chips in. Let's hang a banner this year. I understand that may be shortsighted. But everything so far this off-season seems to be pointing in that direction.

if you want the best 25 then paul janish shouldn't be on the bench.

DGullett35
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Cairo
Francisco/platoon with Rolen
Ludwick/platoon with Heisey
Mes/Hanigan(I think Hanigan starts OD, and Mes works his way to starter as the season progresses)
Theriot(He has to be the next guy signed..One of "Walts" guys), however I really wouldnt mind if we brought Orlando Cabrera back or even Omar Vizquel. I would mention Renteria but his D was so shoddy last year. we need someone on the bench who can come in and play D and not worry so much about the bat.

texasdave
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM

I never said he would be, did I? I am pretty sure I typed Todd Frazier's name.

Just for the record, assuming no additional signings, my bench would look like this:

1)Cairo
2)Ludwick/Heisey
3)Francisco
4)Frazier
5)Hanigan/Mesoraco

malcontent
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Agreed. Frazier could be the answer for IF/OF depth.

But if Jocketty really has been pursuing Theriot, Frazier would seem to be the 26th man.

Are there any LHH or SH middle IFs still available out there?

IamRV
01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Agreed. Frazier could be the answer for IF/OF depth.

But if Jocketty really has been pursuing Theriot, Frazier would seem to be the 26th man.

Are there any LHH or SH middle IFs still available out there?

Wilson Betemit.

Janish should be kept 100 miles from Cincy - on the Bats roster. Frazier is a much better bat and can play any position sans catcher but his primary role will be a RHPH off the bench. Janish brings less than nothing to this role. In the event Cozart is injured, Frazier or Cairo can finish that game or even that series if needed on the road and you call Janish up for the term Cozart is sidelined.

Janish brings no daily value to a team that has shown they will play days on end shorthanded.

malcontent
01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Wilson Betemit.

Betemit's 2009 and 2010 numbers look very interesting.

0.889 and 0.795 OPS.

Only 30 and inexpensive.

What's the catch?

texasdave
01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Betemit's 2009 and 2010 numbers look very interesting.

0.889 and 0.795 OPS.

Only 30 and inexpensive.

What's the catch?

He is a poor fielder. That is one negative.

alett12
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I think keppinger would be the best option for the reds bench. For the fact he can play the anywhere in the infield and hits.