PDA

View Full Version : Reds close to deal with Jeff Francis (LHP)

Who Dey Time
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Will be a minor league deal. Provides more potential depth in the starting rotation.

HatchMo
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
I like the move, previous 17 game winner. Low risk, high reward.

Who Dey Time
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
CBSSports.com now reporting that the Reds and Francis have agreed to a minor league deal.

RedsfaninMT
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
With Wood/Maloney/Volquez/Horst all gone, it seems smart to add a little depth at AAA.

americanoutlaw1
01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
I love it. Former minor league player of the year, great depth, and has the talent to run off a very strong year or two. I wonder if this is a prelude to a starter being moved, thus bumping Chapman to the rotation and Francis as the first starter out of Louisville. Doubtful, but possible. Good insurance either way.

[deleted]
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
No complaints here. We really, really needed SP depth.

The Rage
01-25-2012, 11:35 PM
I love it. Former minor league player of the year, great depth, and has the talent to run off a very strong year or two. I wonder if this is a prelude to a starter being moved, thus bumping Chapman to the rotation and Francis as the first starter out of Louisville. Doubtful, but possible. Good insurance either way.

Arm is washed up from as a strong rotation starter. The talent is gone. He is nothing more than fluff lefty in case of a emergency. Chapman isn't starting in Cincy no matter.

The DARK
01-25-2012, 11:55 PM
He's better than most teams' option for a 7th starter. Managed to pitch a full season of baseball in Kansas City last year and gave up a 4.80 ERA... not great, but were we expecting much more out of Wood? I expect he'll be a quality starter in Louisville and a quality backup if and when somebody goes down. Chapman/Francis/Lecure/Brackman as the backup starters makes me feel much more confident about pitching depth going into this season.

I'm actually surprised he was only able to get a minor league deal. He's not a savory option, but you'd think somebody would at least have room for him at the back of the rotation or in the bullpen.

WildcatFan
01-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Nice move. I thought he was going to earn a major league contract with someone. With some of the injury/inneffectiveness/inexperience that COULD (note: optimistic it won't) rear its head, Walt needed a solid body in Louisville. I could see Francis really helping this team in a pinch.

texasdave
01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Nice signing by Walt.

IamRV
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Nice move. I thought he was going to earn a major league contract with someone. With some of the injury/inneffectiveness/inexperience that COULD (note: optimistic it won't) rear its head, Walt needed a solid body in Louisville. I could see Francis really helping this team in a pinch.

He still might if he doesn't make the Reds' roster out of spring training.

alett12
01-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I like the sign though I still would like to see them sign Scott Kazmir due to the fact he is even less of a risk with even more upside due to his age

Old NDN
01-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Arm is washed up from as a strong rotation starter. The talent is gone. He is nothing more than fluff lefty in case of a emergency. Chapman isn't starting in Cincy no matter.

Kinda similar to Arroyo and Willis last year....fastball sitting around mid-80s, with occasional decent breaking ball.

alett12
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm still hoping for Scott Kazmir

texasdave
01-27-2012, 05:55 AM
Jeff Francis, who agreed to terms with the Reds on a minor league deal, can earn a base salary of $1.5MM if he makes the big league club, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. The deal could be worth as much as $3.25MM with incentives and includes a March 28 opt-out clause, reports Crasnick (Twitter links).

Found on MLBTR.

A depth signing that, potentially, provides no depth. If he pitches poorly in spring training I would imagine he is headed to Louisville. If he pitches well in spring training and isn't headed north, I could easily see him opting out.

alett12
01-27-2012, 08:22 AM
He's better than most teams' option for a 7th starter. Managed to pitch a full season of baseball in Kansas City last year and gave up a 4.80 ERA... not great, but were we expecting much more out of Wood? I expect he'll be a quality starter in Louisville and a quality backup if and when somebody goes down. Chapman/Francis/Lecure/Brackman as the backup starters makes me feel much more confident about pitching depth going into this season.

I'm actually surprised he was only able to get a minor league deal. He's not a savory option, but you'd think somebody would at least have room for him at the back of the rotation or in the bullpen.

Don't forget Klinker too

RedsfaninMT
01-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Don't forget Klinker too

Klinker needs some seasoning before I will consider him much of an option.

alett12
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Klinker needs some seasoning before I will consider him much of an option.

I saw Klinker a couple times last year and he looked pretty good to me and he could maybe use a little mental seasoning but stuff wise he looks ready