PDA

View Full Version : Report: Former Red Josh Hamilton has alcohol-related relapse

DannyB
02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2012/02/02/report-former-red-josh-hamilton-has-alcohol-related-relapse/

RedsfaninMT
02-02-2012, 10:44 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2012/02/02/report-former-red-josh-hamilton-has-alcohol-related-relapse/

Also on ESPN. Very sad new, and I hope he kicks it. Imagine what he could have done, if only he could have resisted temptation.

tedies
02-02-2012, 11:54 PM
At least he wasn't smoking crack again (hopefully)... This is why he is gonna be out at least 1 or 2 months a year, because his body is weaker than everyone else in the league because of all the substance abuse. I root for the guy like crazy but you can't be an idiot :/

Blood Red Path
02-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Is anyone suprised to see this happen again??

I know that it is not the popular opinion on this board, but I'm glad that the Reds got rid of this guy when they did. I have never had confidence in his ability to stay healthy due to the damage that his body has sustained from substance abuse. The constant threat of relapse is also a sad factor that has to be consdiered.

I would hate to have the Reds be the team who gave this guy a lucrative longterm contract based off of his immense physical talent, only to have to watch a large portion of that money be wasted as the guy sits the bench 30-80 games a year with random injuries, or worse yet isn't able to keep a grasp on his addiction and once again puts a hiatus on his career.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 07:06 AM
I know that it is not the popular opinion on this board, but I'm glad that the Reds got rid of this guy when they did.

Apparently the front office wasn't too high oh his presence in the clubhouse beyond the physical durability concerns. I just would have liked to gotten real value back for his production, though. Hindsight's 20/20 and all, but boy does it sting to see him rake when Volquez and Herrera aren't even with us anymore. And I half expect the Indians feel the same when when BP comes back to town.

It's really a shame in the big picture, though. I always pull for Hamilton and this isn't what you want to see during potential extension negotiations. I know after Narron stepped down as his accountability partner, they were going to appoint his father-in-law, but thought that went out the window for family reasons. Does anyone know it someone had been appointed since that happened a few weeks ago? Just hope it's something he is able to overcome, especially once his playing days are over.

alett12
02-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Something is wrong when a man can't have a beer. I love Hamilton and he is my favorite player in baseball but this has happened every offseason let the man have a beer

DannyB
02-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Something is wrong when a man can't have a beer. I love Hamilton and he is my favorite player in baseball but this has happened every offseason let the man have a beer

Sure a beer with a shooter,maybe a couple.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 09:16 AM

You're kidding, right?

alett12
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
You're kidding, right?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm 18, so I don't drink but I see no problem with someone who can legaly drink going out and having a few beers even if they have his history he knows his limits and i feel truly sorry for him that he has to put up this this ****. He paid for his mistakes and he's worked his ass off to get back to being able to play baseball. He deserves to knock one back.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm 18, so I don't drink but I see no problem with someone who can legaly drink going out and having a few beers even if they have his history he knows his limits and i feel truly sorry for him that he has to put up this this ****. He paid for his mistakes and he's worked his ass off to get back to being able to play baseball. He deserves to knock one back.

I'll give you a pass since, as you said, you're 18. But I'm guessing you've never known someone who was out and out addicted to a substance, otherwise I know you wouldn't be playing the "know your limits" card.

Beyond alcohol being an issue at its face for a person recovering from an addiction to alcohol (among other things), it warps inhibitions that could allow him to feel more compelled to use harder drugs. Hamilton has demons that make it borderline impossible to just "knock one back" and will for the rest of his life.

There's a difference between going out and drinking because you are legally allowed to do so and having a relapse as a recovering addict. I'm sorry you aren't more sensitive to the disease-like nature of these types of addiction, but am grateful you apparently haven't had it hit close to home in your life. Otherwise I would find it hard to believe you'd have such a cavalier attitude about it.

bigredmechanism
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM

In theory, you make a lot of sense here. The only catch is that people with addiction problems will almost always not be able to limit it to just one. I took my mother out to dinner a few years ago (she's been recovering for 10 years.) and offered her an olive from my martini. She turned it down because the prospect of a relapse still scares her.

There is a reason why recovering alcoholics/addicts won't have even a drop. I truly hope Josh can handle it, but he shouldn't be compared to a person without addiction problems.

dubc47834
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I feel this was a big reason the Reds got rid of him in the 1st place. I still feel bad for the guy, he seems to be a pretty good guy.

alett12
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Hamilton did exactly the same thing in the offseason after 2009 and nothing happened here is an article from that one. Over blown just like this one.
http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20101003-Josh-Hamilton-finds-strength-after-misstep-1474.ece

Grouse
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Completey overblown. Not saying his addictions aren't a serious matter. Most of us have been effected by Addiction in some way. But this does not effect his baseball value. Still the second worst trade in reds history. The guy is a yearly Allstar and MVP canidate, Please.

alett12
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Completey overblown. Not saying his addictions aren't a serious matter. Most of us have been effected by Addiction in some way. But this does not effect his baseball value. Still the second worst trade in reds history. The guy is a yearly Allstar and MVP canidate, Please.

Thank you at last someone says that.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you at last someone says that.

Nobody didn't say that, actually. No one has been defending the trade at all. In fact earlier in this very thread, I mentioned how much it sucks when you think about the ounce of value we got back from that trade.

And for the record, in regards to his relapse in 2009, that directly led Josh to establish a support network of people to keep it from happening again, including creation of positions within the Rangers organization. That was the significant part about Narron walking away earlier this season and no one filling that void. So it's all good and fine that you still want to downplay an event that, even in the very article you posted, had some pretty big ramifications for Hamilton personally and the organization as a whole. But I'm not sure it supports your point all that well.

The coverage might be overblown, but your rationale around "he should just kick back with one" is pretty juvenile, whether Grouse anecdotally thinks that most people have been effected with an addiction or not.

What really is your point? His addiction isn't a big deal or that the Reds shouldn't have traded him away for Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera? If it's the latter, that's not exactly a novel observation.

alett12
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Nobody didn't say that, actually. No one has been defending the trade at all. In fact earlier in this very thread, I mentioned how much it sucks when you think about the ounce of value we got back from that trade.

And for the record, in regards to his relapse in 2009, that directly led Josh to establish a support network of people to keep it from happening again, including creation of positions within the Rangers organization. That was the significant part about Narron walking away earlier this season and no one filling that void. So it's all good and fine that you still want to downplay an event that, even in the very article you posted, had some pretty big ramifications for Hamilton personally and the organization as a whole. But I'm not sure it supports your point all that well.

The coverage might be overblown, but your rationale around "he should just kick back with one" is pretty juvenile, whether Grouse anecdotally thinks that most people have been effected with an addiction or not.

What really is your point? His addiction isn't a big deal or that the Reds shouldn't have traded him away for Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera? If it's the latter, that's not exactly a novel observation.

no the fact that it is so overblown it isnt like im saying he should go out and snort crack. im just saying a few drinks is not a big deal.

bigredmechanism
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
no the fact that it is so overblown it isnt like im saying he should go out and snort crack. im just saying a few drinks is not a big deal.

For an addict it is a very big deal.

alett12
02-03-2012, 02:13 PM
For an addict it is a very big deal.

He didnt go out and get hammered from the way the article reads. I'm not sure if anyone else has read his book Beyond Belief or not but in it he talks about how everytime he went out to drink before he got high he'd put down a bottle of Crown Royal and get completely wasted, if he's just drinking a beer or two I don't see that being a problem.

bigredmechanism
02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
He didnt go out and get hammered from the way the article reads. I'm not sure if anyone else has read his book Beyond Belief or not but in it he talks about how everytime he went out to drink before he got high he'd put down a bottle of Crown Royal and get completely wasted, if he's just drinking a beer or two I don't see that being a problem.

Sigh.

He just gave a press conference, and he made it seem like it was a pretty big deal. For an addict a relapse isn't at all about how much you drink, it is that you have started down that road again.

For you or me, a couple of drinks is not a big deal. For Josh Hamilton, it is. He said it was.

bounty37h
02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I'll give you a pass since, as you said, you're 18. But I'm guessing you've never known someone who was out and out addicted to a substance, otherwise I know you wouldn't be playing the "know your limits" card.

Beyond alcohol being an issue at its face for a person recovering from an addiction to alcohol (among other things), it warps inhibitions that could allow him to feel more compelled to use harder drugs. Hamilton has demons that make it borderline impossible to just "knock one back" and will for the rest of his life.

There's a difference between going out and drinking because you are legally allowed to do so and having a relapse as a recovering addict. I'm sorry you aren't more sensitive to the disease-like nature of these types of addiction, but am grateful you apparently haven't had it hit close to home in your life. Otherwise I would find it hard to believe you'd have such a cavalier attitude about it.

Well, I can address it then, from a personal stand point, but know its nto the same for everyone. I had my own addictions (I know people say you can never recover, but I don't agree thats true person to person). Each person is different, so there is no cut and dry answer as so many want it to be. I can have a couple drinks, and I do a couple times a month maybe, but I know my limits and dont allow myself to get past that. It took years of coaching, counseling, outside help, hurting others and myself, but in the end it was only me who helped me move forward, and I have not had a concern for many years now. That said, I know my limit, and dont know what would/could happen if I pass that limit, and dont plan on letting myself get to that point. I am not holding any judgement on Josh either way (as so many seem to be doing), but am curious of what details wil come out. Was he having a beer, or was there an incident, problem?

bigredmechanism
02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I am not holding any judgement on Josh either way (as so many seem to be doing), but am curious of what details wil come out. Was he having a beer, or was there an incident, problem?

In his press conference, he said he had 3 or 4 drinks, and then Ian Kinsler took him home. Kinsler asked him "You're not going back over there, right?" Josh said no, but walked back after Kinsler left and had more drinks.

bmwreds31
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM

90% of normal people around cincinnati feel the same way. There is a handful of people on here that will always hate J. Hamilton, because they praised the trade into the ground when it first happened. All justified on the points that J. Hamilton wont be anything in the MLB.

Plenty of quotes like>

"He will relapse over the offseason, and never play again."
"His bones will turn to ash in one year anyway. Crack weakens your bones"
"He's not as good as everybody thinks anyways."

So these people are the ones that will blow up a story about josh having a few beers and act like he's done or use to justify a terrible trade. Personally i would hate to be josh hamilton right now. Dude is in the prime of his life, multi millionaire, and cant even go to a bar for drink or two with friends without the media going ape **** and risking his career.

Sigh.

He just gave a press conference, and he made it seem like it was a pretty big deal. For an addict a relapse isn't at all about how much you drink, it is that you have started down that road again.

For you or me, a couple of drinks is not a big deal. For Josh Hamilton, it is. He said it was.

Im sure he has to make it seem like a big deal at this point. If he got up there and tried to blow it off. The hounds/media would tear him apart. I can almost guarantee you josh himself doesnt believe it to be a big deal.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Im sure he has to make it seem like a big deal at this point. If he got up there and tried to blow it off. The hounds/media would tear him apart. I can almost guarantee you josh himself doesnt believe it to be a big deal.

If that's the case, and he doesn't ACTUALLY think this is a big deal, that's precisely the issue or concern I think the Rangers would have. What don't you get? He is a recovering addict. There is no casually going out for a few drinks. Maybe the media is running with it too much, but the dude organized a press conference in his own accord to address this issue publicly.

Honestly, you are blessed not to have a better understanding of alcoholism or drug addiction. Maybe this is a private story that is getting too much play, but that's any entirely different argument than "he cant go out for a drink or two with friends." No. No he cannot.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Was he having a beer, or was there an incident, problem?

Here is a summary of the press conference he himself had to address the issue:

http://dallas.sbnation.com/texas-rangers/2012/2/3/2769207/josh-hamilton-press-conference-addiction-relapse-responsibility-texas-rangers

"I’ve had two drug tests since Monday; I have no concerns there at all. However, anytime I drink there’s a point where a switch flips and you never know where that point is going to be reached... I need to take responsibility and take the lead in making choices and being the man I’m supposed to be."

And to those of you crowing about how it's bull**** he can't go out and have a casual drink, how about this one:
"I’m getting to the point where I understand I can’t take a break from my recovery." - Josh Hamilton

Anyone else want to argue how Josh Hamilton is wrong about how Josh Hamilton should feel about Josh Hamilton?

[deleted]
02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Shocked at some of the ignorance in this topic. This goes beyond debating baseball and numbers - a recovering substance abuser relapsing, even once, is a big deal. I hope all goes well for Hamilton. I like him a lot, even after that awful trade. For his sake I hope this doesn't interfere his contract status too much.

[I]Anyone else want to argue how Josh Hamilton is wrong about how Josh Hamilton should feel about Josh Hamilton?

ding ding ding

DGullett35
02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
This is an instance where today's media coverage and social networking is a bad thing. Leave the guy alone. This is something that should be kept between him and the organization he plays for. It amazes me that he had to have a news conference about this today. It blows my mind. I can't believe that many people care about this situation.

takealeake
02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Here is a summary of the press conference he himself had to address the issue:

http://dallas.sbnation.com/texas-rangers/2012/2/3/2769207/josh-hamilton-press-conference-addiction-relapse-responsibility-texas-rangers

"I’ve had two drug tests since Monday; I have no concerns there at all. However, anytime I drink there’s a point where a switch flips and you never know where that point is going to be reached... I need to take responsibility and take the lead in making choices and being the man I’m supposed to be."

And to those of you crowing about how it's bull**** he can't go out and have a casual drink, how about this one:
"I’m getting to the point where I understand I can’t take a break from my recovery." - Josh Hamilton

Anyone else want to argue how Josh Hamilton is wrong about how Josh Hamilton should feel about Josh Hamilton?

It's his life, only he can tell what is a big deal to him, no one else.

I used to drink fairly heavily for a stretch of months when I was hitting the vodka and beer pretty solidly almost every night to the point where if I didn't drink I would get withdrawal symptoms. I was definitely an alcoholic by definition, but eventually just quit cold turkey when I didn't have any interest in wasting money on that anymore.

That doesn't mean I can't have alcohol, and if I have alcohol it doesn't mean I'll relapse back into that stretch again. I had some rum this past weekend for the first time drinking since July of last year or so I believe. Before that, I drank sporadically, maybe once a month or two, with no problems. Usually just to enjoy a UFC show or some big event, and that's how I've been ever since.

Only he can tell though what that tipping point is. Not everyone who drinks consistently and becomes alcoholic for a period of time either has to do that or do nothing at all though. If he has to stay clean always, then that's something he has to decide. If he can handle a few drinks without doing it over and over again, then that's fine too. Only he can decide at this point.

nmculbreth
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM

This is about the stupidest comment that I've read in this forum, which frankly is saying a lot.

Josh Hamilton is a recovering drug addict and an alcoholic. Recovering alcoholics aren't casual drinkers who can go out and have a beer or two and then cut themselves off, they're not wired that way. This isn't a normal guy blowing off steam in the offseason, it's a recovering alcoholic relapsing. If you can't see the difference, I'm not even sure what there is to say...

R_Webb18
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
This is an instance where today's media coverage and social networking is a bad thing. Leave the guy alone. This is something that should be kept between him and the organization he plays for. It amazes me that he had to have a news conference about this today. It blows my mind. I can't believe that many people care about this situation.

lol no. if this is tru he would drink at home

RedsfaninMT
02-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Not trying to pile on, but alcoholism runs heavy in my family, ending in the suicide by Grandfather, and attempted suicide by my Grandmother. It's a HUGE deal to have a drink.

And Josh Hamilton agrees, after listening to his press conference.

RedsfaninMT
02-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Not trying to pile on, but alcoholism runs heavy in my family, ending in the suicide by Grandfather, and attempted suicide by my Grandmother. It's a HUGE deal to have a drink.

And Josh Hamilton agrees, after listening to his press conference.

Okay - make that "a HUGE deal to have a drink as an alcoholic."

And sorry to disagree with some posts on here, but I know of no alcoholics who can have an occasional drink and be just fine, nor have I ever read of any such folks.

Larkin88
02-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Only he can tell though what that tipping point is. Not everyone who drinks consistently and becomes alcoholic for a period of time either has to do that or do nothing at all though. If he has to stay clean always, then that's something he has to decide. If he can handle a few drinks without doing it over and over again, then that's fine too. Only he can decide at this point.

Sorry, you must have missed this in the post you just responded to, which was sort of my point when I was speaking to Hamilton discussing his own personal situation:

"Anytime I drink there’s a point where a switch flips and you never know where that point is going to be reached... I’m getting to the point where I understand I can’t take a break from my recovery." - Josh Hamilton

takealeake
02-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry, you must have missed this in the post you just responded to, which was sort of my point when I was speaking to Hamilton discussing his own personal situation:

"Anytime I drink there’s a point where a switch flips and you never know where that point is going to be reached... I’m getting to the point where I understand I can’t take a break from my recovery." - Josh Hamilton

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying - people who were saying he can have a drink, before knowing what he said, weren't automatically wrong either. Yeah, of course after the fact and his candor about the situation, he knows he can't. I'm just saying, when people were saying he definitely can't have a drink because he was an addict, no one knew for sure at that time if it was a big deal or not.

Only people in that situation know what they can or can't do.

texasdave
02-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Doesn't this statement sound like it is coming from a person who has 'slipped up more than a time or two' in his recovery? Or am I just reading this incorrectly?

Pete4prez
02-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Hang in there, Josh. Prayers.

izzy's dad
02-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Josh is such an easy guy to pull for. Not just because of his athletic accomplishments, but because he speaks very candidly and openly about his struggles. That is a tough thing for anyone to do, let alone a man that has every detail about his addiction broadcast world wide. I don't share his faith, but I do think he is a "real" kind of person with real world struggles, and I think that is rare in pro sports today. Good luck Josh.

bigredmechanism
02-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Josh is such an easy guy to pull for. Not just because of his athletic accomplishments, but because he speaks very candidly and openly about his struggles. That is a tough thing for anyone to do, let alone a man that has every detail about his addiction broadcast world wide. I don't share his faith, but I do think he is a "real" kind of person with real world struggles, and I think that is rare in pro sports today. Good luck Josh.

I agree with you. He comes off very sincere, and I have a tough time not rooting for him.

Fireball
02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I like Josh and hope he gets it all figured out. I was one of those that were really not happy about the trade.

That being said, every time Josh "relapses" or misses significant time with an injury, I'm more at peace with the fact that the Reds traded him. Can you imagine that media circus there would be in Cincinnati anytime someone saw him with a beer?

I'm very glad that the current team doesn't have to deal with that, and the potential of giving him a lot of money over the next few year with this hanging over him and the team.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Krawhitham
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
He had a couple drinks it is not like it was a two week bender

I say so what, as long as he is not snorting coke off a hookers ass who cares. The last time he had a slip with alcohol he went on to win the AL MVP award that season

Red Raindog
02-04-2012, 04:47 PM
He had a couple drinks it is not like it was a two week bender

I say so what, as long as he is not snorting coke off a hookers ass who cares. The last time he had a slip with alcohol he went on to win the AL MVP award that season

According to him -- he had 3 or 4 drinks BEFORE going to another bar for more.

The alcoholics I know -- 3 or 4 is really 6 or 8 -- but he might be the exception

SweetLou1990
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Watched the press conference this morning on MLB, hats off to Josh for calling the press conference and taking the responsibility for his actions. Josh apparently (usually) knows his limitations, and 1 beer is beyond his limit. May he succeed every day in his battle.

bounty37h
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying - people who were saying he can have a drink, before knowing what he said, weren't automatically wrong either. Yeah, of course after the fact and his candor about the situation, he knows he can't. I'm just saying, when people were saying he definitely can't have a drink because he was an addict, no one knew for sure at that time if it was a big deal or not.

Only people in that situation know what they can or can't do.

Thats 100% it, and only Josh knows whats best for Josh. I am a recovered addict as I said earlier, yet I had a few beers during super bowl last night. I didnt have enough that I was concerned about it leading to other issues, which is what used to cause me problems, and that seems to be Josh's concern. I know my limits, Josh knows his, and thats all that matters.

webbbj
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
i think some (alet12) are confusing functional alcoholic and non functional alcoholic. There are ppl who can drink everyday and it doesnt affect their friends or family or their job. And there is pple like Hamilton who become unpredictable and harmful to himself and others if he drinks.

Grouse
02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Last time he relasped, he won the MVP. Mabey he uses his weakness as fuel. I wish him the best.

alett12
02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
i think some (alet12) are confusing functional alcoholic and non functional alcoholic. There are ppl who can drink everyday and it doesnt affect their friends or family or their job. And there is pple like Hamilton who become unpredictable and harmful to himself and others if he drinks.

I'm just defending a grown man who should be allowed to make his own choices and I'm not the only person who thinks this, Brandon Phillips said something like My man Josh Hamilton can't even have drink thats wrong

Ohayou
02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I've worked with people who struggle with addiction in the past and it's pretty sad how much the general public is just completely ignorant about how it all works.

OGB
02-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Clearly, you don't know the first thing about drug and alcohol addiction or substance abuse.

Edited to add: Clearly, several people i this thread are ignorant about addiction. Josh Hamilton is a 30 year old man who spent four years of his life addicted to crack cocaine and alcohol. There is no such thing as casually going out for some drinks for someone with his history.

Lockdwn11
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Clearly, you don't know the first thing about drug and alcohol addiction or substance abuse.

Edited to add: Clearly, several people i this thread are ignorant about addiction. Josh Hamilton is a 30 year old man who spent four years of his life addicted to crack cocaine and alcohol. There is no such thing as casually going out for some drinks for someone with his history.

I will add this to this thread. You will never be a Crackhead if you never pick up the pipe. It is your choice.

jredmo2
02-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Hoo, boy.

http://deadspin.com/5883865/what-happened-on-the-night-josh-hamilton-had-a-relapse-alleged-bathroom-sex-one-eyewitness-account

http://mikedyce.com/josh-hamilton-inside-scoop-from-8-patrons/

Granted, nothing is confirmed, but it doesn't look good.

alett12
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Gronkowski goes out and gets drunk after losing the Super Bowl and that is ok to me there is no difference to that and Hamilton. I know the addiction wasnt ever there but I think it's is ok either way

jredmo2
02-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Gronkowski goes out and gets drunk after losing the Super Bowl and that is ok to me there is no difference to that and Hamilton. I know the addiction wasnt ever there but I think it's is ok either way

I don't think people are judging the action itself. Obviously, if someone wants to get drunk, or even cheat on his wife, that's really none of our business. Well, some people are judging that, I'm sure, but i think it's more of a concern thing.

If Gronk goes out a gets wasted, the worst that happens is some funny pictures turn up on the internet. If Hamilton does, he could lose everything, or even die. I know that seems overly dramatic, but for a guy like Hamilton, those risks are always in play.

OGB
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM

I simply can't fathom what it is you can't comprehend about the nature of drug/alcohol addiction.
I honestly think you should go to Wikipedia and read the entry on addiction because you are embarrassing yourself here.
Addiction isn't something you can turn off and on. Many addicts who do what Hamilton did would relapse and find themselves in a crack den within a few days. Hamilton probably owes the fact that his relapses have been brief and relatively uneventful to the fact that he is under so much scrutiny in the public eye. He can't go out in public and get wasted without being recognized and then reported in the news. Then, because he's a star athlete, he has an enormous support network at his disposal to get him back on the right track. He won't be a star athlete forever, though, and making sure he stays sober will be much more of a challenge then, and far more imperative.

alett12
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
true yet i feel you have to hold all these atheltes to the same standard. If they are going to go out and get wasted they all need to be viewed the same way.

nmculbreth
02-10-2012, 04:49 PM

You're comparing apples to orangutangs.

Rob Gronkowski isn't a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. Rob Gronkowski was never banned from football for drug and alcohol related issues nor is he likely one mistake away from finding himself banned again. Rob Gronkowski doesn't require an accountability partner to babysit him and make sure he doesn't suffer a relapse on the road.

It's just not the same situation.

While Josh Hamilton didn't break any laws, I'm not sure how any sane, semi-rational human being can say that his actions were okay given his past history. Clearly Josh Hamilton realizes as much, why can't you?

bmwreds31
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I like Josh and hope he gets it all figured out. I was one of those that were really not happy about the trade.

That being said, every time Josh "relapses" or misses significant time with an injury, I'm more at peace with the fact that the Reds traded him. lk

lol umm i'll take a couple news stories for his bat and MVP seasons anyday thanks.

Hoo, boy.

http://deadspin.com/5883865/what-happened-on-the-night-josh-hamilton-had-a-relapse-alleged-bathroom-sex-one-eyewitness-account

http://mikedyce.com/josh-hamilton-inside-scoop-from-8-patrons/

Granted, nothing is confirmed, but it doesn't look good.

That bathroom story sounds like a bunch of drunk people heresay. Or drama queens talking. Without concrete evidence idc. And quite frankly if it did happen i wouldnt care much. Its his marriage doesnt really matter as long as he can still go hit the ball.

While Josh Hamilton didn't break any laws, I'm not sure how any sane, semi-rational human being can say that his actions were okay given his past history. Clearly Josh Hamilton realizes as much, why can't you?

Thats really not were saying. Were saying its getting blown wayyyyyy out of proportion by people HOPING he fails. Just so it helps there case, that they Fought for so much, when they supported one of the worst trades in REDS history.

Which basically they will never give up on. Its been how many years since the trade. Josh hamilton still isnt a pile of sludge because his bones desolved from all the crack. "Like some people were saying" Nope instead hes turned into one of the premiere players in baseball. Multiple rewards and a world series. We got what? A half a season all star and a tommy john and a has been. I'd say its been long enough and the people around here need to give up.

OGB
02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Bmwreds31, I don't think anyone here is arguing with you at this point.

Sure, I'll admit that I thought the Hamilton trade was the right move at the time. Given the career of Volquez, I feel dumb for having argued so vehemently in favor of the trade in the past.

I was wrong.

However, my initial logic still stands. Hamilton is a huge risk for a relapse, he has issues staying healthy, and because of his hardcore drug use he a) has the wear on his body of someone ten years his senior and b) can't even treat the mildest injuries with simple remedies like cortisone injections.

A Second However -- I believe the majority of the debate here is trying to convince one poster that there is a huge unacceptable difference between a regular person going out to get drunk and a recovering hardcore drug addict doing the same. Nobody is trying to spin this story to say the Reds made the right move trading Hamilton. They didn't.

RedsfaninMT
02-11-2012, 03:25 PM
true yet i feel you have to hold all these atheltes to the same standard. If they are going to go out and get wasted they all need to be viewed the same way.

Even MLB or NFL doesn't "view them the same way." You show drug/alcohol problems, you're going to get tested - as Hamilton is - frequently.

The average athlete goes out and gets drunk, fine. He's an adult and can do as he wants. But when he shows an addiction, he can get a ban - just as Hamilton did. Miguel Cabrera would likely be in trouble with MLB with another alcohol related infraction.

As I said previously, I've seen alcohol problems big time. A bottle of vodka combined with a bottle of aspirin did my grandfather in. This isn't just a matter of interfering in Josh's life. He needs help. He's acknowledge that he needs help. I hope he stays clean and sober. For Josh, it's very, very different than it is for an athlete who occasionally has "one too many."

alett12
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
I see where you are coming from yet I think if he passes the test then I'm ok with it if not that is when it should be a big deal

swaisuc
02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
The "bathroom" part of that story won't get him in any trouble with the law or MLB, but if true, that could be a real distraction for him personally.

OGB
02-16-2012, 06:33 PM

I'm not sure why you continue to come here when you clearly have no interest in actually participating in conversations. Several people have explained to you why he is held to a different standard, yet you remain stubbornly entrenched in your original line of thought.