PDA

View Full Version : What would it take for the Cincinnati to get an MLB All-Star game?

ShaySongz
02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Cincinnati in my opinion is a good once to host the all star game. Restaurants on the banks, good food, remodeled fountain square, new ballpark, who shouldn't want to see homeruns fly into the river? Downtown is hot right now, or at least getting there in a couple years to host one.I don't see why notI

zacharync
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
It looks like it's a matter of the organization bidding to receive the game. The Reds last hosted the game in 1988. Here is some info on upcoming games via our friends at Wikipedia.

The venue for each All-Star Game is chosen by a MLB selection committee. The chosen venue may be based on the opening of a new field, a historical occasion, or to commemorate a significant year. The New York Mets are bidding for the 2013 All-Star Game in their new ballpark, Citi Field, which was opened in 2009; the Mets have not hosted the All-Star Game since 1964, the longest drought in All-Star history. The Minnesota Twins are bidding for the 2014 game for Target Field.[2] The Chicago Cubs are also bidding for the 2014 game for the centennial of Wrigley Field. The Miami Marlins and the Washington Nationals are bidding for the 2015 game.

Spider Tre
02-04-2012, 01:34 PM
GABP would be perfect for the Home Run Derby

Fireball
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Quite honestly, I can't believe that GABP has been open for almost 10 years and we haven't gotten one yet. PNC and Miller both got an All-star game shortly after those parks opened.

Seems that be should be due for one...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

NCCardfan
02-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I was going to say a new Park but thanks for reminding me Fireball. GABP is only 10 years old and to be honest, I've never heard wind of CIN ever being in the running. The NL Central bias is crazy (except Bud's MIL love) and this is just another piece of proof. I know STL got the game during BIII's 4th season (2009) but some franchises have been waiting a lot longer than CIN has. I was shocked to read this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_All-Star_Game_venues

Heck of a list and shows in multiple places that Cincinnati has a logical case to move up onto the short list for a game soon.

No ASG at currect stadium, 2nd after Tampa Bay.
24 years since ASG has been there, 6th on list when you take KC off the list.

It would be nice to get it there, the Home Run Derby would be a blast (pun intended;))

SweetLou1990
02-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Hopefully the Reds can get one in the next 5 or so years, in what still could be considered a relatively "new" ballpark. I can't imagine the derby records that could be set in there.........

Keep putting a winning club on the field prob wouldn't hurt either, it would make it more of a popular choice among fans.

redsfan1995
02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I believe they will get one again if kansas city is getting one this year then Cincinnati deserves one.

jwmann2
02-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Why not just have a rotation? Every ball club should get one. Obviously not all ballparks are built the same but the NHL All Star game is coming to Columbus next season if that is any consolation.

Jr's Boy
02-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Prayer,or a new ball park.Cincinnati had a chance to build something special after Riverfront was torn down.Instead some bland ball park with the obligatory baseball smoke stacks.

freestyle55
02-06-2012, 09:01 AM
2019...for baseball's 150th anniversary!

bounty37h
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I can see that as an option^.

alett12
02-06-2012, 02:18 PM
They are really going to wish they had put in a retractable roof park. If they had they probably would've had one by now.

NCCardfan
02-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Why not just have a rotation? Every ball club should get one. Obviously not all ballparks are built the same but the NHL All Star game is coming to Columbus next season if that is any consolation.

The rotation thing is a good theory but MLB will never go for it. You only have to look at Tampa Bay for the reason why, even with playoff caliber teams - the people don't show up! It's sad but true, between the stadium not being great and the city not giving a hoot about baseball, and there being no ML tradition; the ASG will probably not be in Tampa any time soon.

CIN should get it in the next 3-5 years IMO but the city will have to sell it. Chicago is trying to sell Wrigley Field for it's centenial season so what can CIN come up with? What year was MLB started in CIN? When did they win their first WS title? I got most of these answers off wikipedia:

/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_baseball_champions

The Reds started and stopped a few times in the 1800's, they also had the last professional perfect season in 1869:

In 1869, the Red Stockings posted a perfect 57-0 record, so far the only perfect season in baseball history.

and they won their 1st Ws in 1919:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_World_Series

I know it's 7 years out from today, but the community needs to 'rally around the flag and make this a goal, to put it in The Queen City for the centenial and sesqui centennial of these milestones in your history.

End rant, sorry 'bout that but I got on a roll;)

To rotate the ASG, it would only come around once every 30 years and that wouldn't work either. JMHO

Nathan
02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
The rotation thing is a good theory but MLB will never go for it. You only have to look at Tampa Bay for the reason why, even with playoff caliber teams - the people don't show up! It's sad but true, between the stadium not being great and the city not giving a hoot about baseball, and there being no ML tradition; the ASG will probably not be in Tampa any time soon.

CIN should get it in the next 3-5 years IMO but the city will have to sell it. Chicago is trying to sell Wrigley Field for it's centenial season so what can CIN come up with? What year was MLB started in CIN? When did they win their first WS title? I got most of these answers off wikipedia:

/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_baseball_champions

The Reds started and stopped a few times in the 1800's, they also had the last professional perfect season in 1869:

and they won their 1st Ws in 1919:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_World_Series

I know it's 7 years out from today, but the community needs to 'rally around the flag and make this a goal, to put it in The Queen City for the centenial and sesqui centennial of these milestones in your history.

End rant, sorry 'bout that but I got on a roll;)

To rotate the ASG, it would only come around once every 30 years and that wouldn't work either. JMHO

LOL.. I'd be shocked if they tried to get the All-Star game based on the 100 year anniversary 1919 World Series, you know, Cincinnati's golden son, Pete, had a little, uhh.. Problem?

alett12
02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I thought the point of getting the Civil Rights game was to show that they could host a big game setting like the all-star game but so far it hasn't done much good.

brad1176
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
It's absolutely insane that Pittsburgh got one recently and the Reds haven't.

alett12
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
It's probably a back burner issue with the Castellini just because he wants to win is one reason i think they haven't gone any harder after one.

ShaySongz
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Do the home team for the all star game get thee money for the ticket gates? They should! Or get a larger cut if you using the teams facilities if they split the money amongst the teams.

The DARK
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
While it sucks that we haven't gotten one, you have to think the Padres are in a tough spot too. Nobody wants to see a home run derby at Petco Park.

alett12
02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
While it sucks that we haven't gotten one, you have to think the Padres are in a tough spot too. Nobody wants to see a home run derby at Petco Park.

personaly i wouldn't mind it because it gets rid of the guys in it who aren't real power hitters like Pedroia and other contact guys and means you have to put guys like Big Papi, Neleson Cruz, Bruce, ect. in it instead.

brad1176
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I would love to see the HR derby in Petco, the big swingers would all jump in I would think. Kind of the "I want to see if I can do it" thought.

alett12
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I would love to see the HR derby in Petco, the big swingers would all jump in I would think. Kind of the "I want to see if I can do it" thought.

Exactly, they need to get contact hitters outa the home run derby otherwise you could end up with paul janish in it.

brad1176
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Exactly, they need to get contact hitters outa the home run derby otherwise you could end up with paul janish in it.

Janish... :lol:

alett12
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Janish... :lol:

It'll happen, he has what 2 career?

brad1176
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Both against the Cubs right? :laugh:

OGB
02-09-2012, 12:37 AM
One of my most disappointing moments from my childhood was going to the festivities the day before the AllStar game only to have them rained out. If Cincinnati got another All Star game, Id be there in a heartbeat.

alett12
02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Both against the Cubs right? :laugh:

no wait, 3 he got one against the fish too