PDA

View Full Version : Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Caveat Emperor
02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Nothing really good coming out for a few weeks, but there's word coming out that "John Carter" could be the biggest bomb in quite some time:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/john-carter-early-tracking-shockingly-soft-could-be-biggest-writeoff-of-all-time/

Another writes me, ”It just came out. Women of all ages have flat out rejected the film. The tracking for John Carter is shocking for a film that cost over $250 million. This could be the biggest writeoff of all time.” I’m hearing figures in the neighborhood of $100 million. And the studio isn’t even trying to spin reports of the 3D pic’s bloated budget any more

"A Princess of Mars" was one of my favorite books when I was in middle school -- I've been looking forward to this movie since it was announced. The trailers and marketing have looked awful, though. I'd have thought it'd be a better effort since Andrew Stanton (WALL-E, Finding Nemo) was directing.

Oh well.

Chip R
02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I went and saw Star Wars in 3D yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars series and have only seen all of them within the past couple of years. The movie was enjoyable, however I don't think the 3D added anything to the experience. I thought the pod racing sequence would have been great in 3D but it didn't seem to be any better than it was in 2D. Same for the light saber fight at the end. Now, I understand the movie wasn't originally meant for 3D but if they couldn't make it any better than that it just seemed like a big money grab.

SunDeck
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
The movie was enjoyable, however I don't think the 3D added anything to the experience.

It's just adding more money to the Lucas franchise. Honestly, after Return of the Jedi, was there really a good Star Wars movie?

Caveat Emperor
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
It's just adding more money to the Lucas franchise. Honestly, after Return of the Jedi, was there really a good Star Wars movie?

Speaking as a huge Star Wars nerd, the answer is no.

Revenge of the Sith was OK and had some very good moments, but only because it followed two genuinely terrible movies and seemed better by comparison.

KoryMac5
02-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Saw Chronichle this week, loved the premise and length, hated the shaky camera nonsense.

Caveat Emperor
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
I would be very happy if the entire "found footage" genre disappeared.

jmac
02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I took my wife to see "This Means War" last weekend. Sort of surprising to me, but this was a very entertaining movie. An excellent romantic comedy with enough action to please a guy. Take that as a tip for taking your sweetheart out this weekend. :D

Joseph
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
I went and saw Star Wars in 3D yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars series and have only seen all of them within the past couple of years. The movie was enjoyable, however I don't think the 3D added anything to the experience. I thought the pod racing sequence would have been great in 3D but it didn't seem to be any better than it was in 2D. Same for the light saber fight at the end. Now, I understand the movie wasn't originally meant for 3D but if they couldn't make it any better than that it just seemed like a big money grab.

Welcome to one of the laments of all Star Wars fans, George Lucas and his cash grabs.

Ohayou
02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
At this point people just seem to enjoy complaining about Lucas - how can you possibly be surprised by his tinkering with Star Wars any more?

Some people just need to let go of their childhood.

foxfire123
02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome to one of the laments of all Star Wars fans, George Lucas and his cash grabs.

I SO want to see the original, un-messed-with Star Wars A New Hope on the big screen again. I wish Lucas would just leave stuff alone.

Ohayou
02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
They are HIS films, they don't 'belong to the fans', and he may do with them whatever he pleases.

*BaseClogger*
02-24-2012, 02:46 AM
They are HIS films, they don't 'belong to the fans', and he may do with them whatever he pleases.

Films are an art form. How would you feel if the owner of David decided to give him tattoos?

Ohayou
02-24-2012, 03:28 AM
It's downright silly to make some pseudo-judicial claim that Lucas hasn't the right to alter his own work. Filmmaking is not a democracy.

Roy Tucker
02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I watched "E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial" on AMC last night. I can't remember the last time I saw it. Maybe when my kids were little.

What a great movie. Filled with innocence and good-natured fun and gentle child fears and very real characters. A little overwrought in the last 30 minutes (with John Williams orchestration gushing away), but what the hell. And its aged very well. For a 30 year old flick, it is remakably fresh and still modern and a children's classic that adults can watch. Quintessential Spielberg. And a very young Drew Barrymore almost steals the show as Gertie.

OldRightHander
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I would be very happy if the entire "found footage" genre disappeared.

I'm with you on that one.

Redsfaithful
02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I thought Chronicle was really good, surprisingly so. The found footage format didn't bother me, to me it's just another method.

Ohayou
02-24-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't mind it and think it definitely has its place in cinema. The shaky cam in Saving Private Ryan was totally motivated, thought out by Spielberg and Kaminski to emulate battle footage extant from WWII. There are people like Tony Scott or Paul Greengrass, however, who are too stupid or lazy to actually THINK about what they were doing and WHY it might be appropriate (or not) and to help hide ineptitude at staging a scene.

KoryMac5
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I think on a smaller scale found footage can be a good thing. However for those of us who easily get motion sickness it can be really bad throughout an enitre film.

Caveat Emperor
02-25-2012, 02:47 AM
I thought Chronicle was really good, surprisingly so. The found footage format didn't bother me, to me it's just another method.

Other than "Blair Witch Project," I don't think I've ever seen a found footage movie that I didn't think would be better off being shot as a traditional flick.

Redsfaithful
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Other than "Blair Witch Project," I don't think I've ever seen a found footage movie that I didn't think would be better off being shot as a traditional flick.

It's probably best with horror movies, adds intimacy, makes you feel more immersed.

Caveat Emperor
02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Found this on another board I'm on -- it's an interesting read for the Star Wars fans out there:

This was posted over at EBM... pretty brilliant, albeit, incredibly nerdy blog post about a new suggested viewing order for the Star Wars Saga. Makes a lot of sense.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Tony Cloninger
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Finally saw "Drive" on DVD. I liked it...but I did not see it as better than "Collateral" .... I did not see the seedy side of LA either....as much as I expected.

bucksfan2
02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Pearl Jam Twenty - Interesting look back at the band. I knew quite a bit about them and found out some things I didn't know. Im am somewhat surprised that Eddie Vedder didn't die for all the times he was climbing up in the scafolding at concerts.

The Change Up - Light entertaining comedy.

RedsBaron
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Found this on another board I'm on -- it's an interesting read for the Star Wars fans out there:

Decent argument for viewing the films in that order.
If George Lucas had simply retired after making Return of the Jedi, would movie fans have missed anything important or worthwhile watching?

reds1869
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM
My wife loves the new trilogy. She had never seen a Star Wars film until Episode I came out. She actually prefers the prequels to the original trilogy, a fact that makes me shake my head.

foxfire123
03-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Saw The Lorax yesterday. Animation was amazing, voice work by Danny DeVito and Zac Efron was very good, story was so-so. Got preachy and self important at the end.

Razor Shines
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Saw Young Adult the other night. Really enjoyed it.

After about a year of telling my wife we should watch Winter's Bone she finally suggested it last night after reading that Jennifer Lawrence is the star and also the star the of the Hunger Games. We both thought it was a really good movie and I got to say "see I told you over a year ago it was going to be good."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redsfaithful
03-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Going back to the original post, I had a good time watching John Carter.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Watched "Hugo" last weekend. A thoroughly enjoyable movie that succeeds on a variety of levels and I loved it.

Watch "Drive" on Friday night. An excellent movie although I have to say the graphic (and I mean *graphic*) violence caught me by surprise. Very stylish and very LA-noire. I really liked Ryan Gosling and reminded me of a young Steve McQueen. Excellent supporting cast with Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston.

Sweetstop
03-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Watched "Hugo" last weekend. A thoroughly enjoyable movie that succeeds on a variety of levels and I loved it.

Watch "Drive" on Friday night. An excellent movie although I have to say the graphic (and I mean *graphic*) violence caught me by surprise. Very stylish and very LA-noire. I really liked Ryan Gosling and reminded me of a young Steve McQueen. Excellent supporting cast with Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston.

i saw "drive" last week..agree with you, it's a very good film. i wasn't surprised about the violence though, since my husband had seen it and warned me. oddly enough, the next morning i heard a piece on "on the media" about the sounds of violence in film, and the guy's prime example was the elevator scene in "drive".

we bought a copy of "hugo" to have on hand for grands..can't wait to watch it this week. i love the notion that scorsese made a film for children (and all the world) about the history of film...passing on his insatiable love of movies.

watched "moneyball" over the weekend..thumbs up!

RichRed
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Finally saw "Bridesmaids." Pretty funny but a little more subdued than I was expecting, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I had no idea that "Roy" from "The IT Crowd" was in it - that was a pleasant surprise.

Also watched "50/50." I thought it was excellent. Poignant, funny, and well-acted. It got awfully dusty in the house during the pre-op scene because it brought back memories of my dad, who's no longer with us, staying by my side when I had cancer surgery.

Ohayou
03-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Prometheus - Official Full HD Trailer - Ridley Scott, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU)

This is far and away my most anticipated release of 2012.

KittyDuran
03-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Going back to the original post, I had a good time watching John Carter.

Same here... Saw it yesterday in IMAX. Just a good old fashioned popcorn flick. The SFX were not eye-popping but seemed very natural-felt I was truly on Barsoom (Mars). The scenes on Earth both at the beginning and the end were well done and tied in nicely. There is also narration, sort of a prologue, for the viewers who might not have read the books, at the beginning. The 2+ hours flew by. It's a shame that the critics, media, fanboys, even Disney announced it DOA because I would definitely go to see a sequel. Planning to see it a few more times before it gets out of the theaters. I'll also give a report if 3D was really necessary or just a waste of money.

Sweetstop
03-19-2012, 10:05 AM
michael shannon is excellent in "take shelter".
ditto for patton oswalt in "young adult".. charlize theron, too.

imo, 2 good indy movies.

WildcatFan
03-19-2012, 10:38 AM
I also loved Young Adult, and I picked up Take Shelter last night to check out.

I saw Friends With Kids with the girlfriend a couple days ago, and it's good enough for a date movie, but unnecessarily crude.

Saw Safe House, and wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It's got the shaky camerawork, and I still don't buy Ryan Reynolds. I feel like I'm not getting a joke everyone else is laughing at. Denzel is fantastic as always, though.

Next up for me are Hunger Games and 21 Jump Street.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
I have midnights to The Hunger Games on Thursday.

UC tips at 10:00 on Thursday.

#firstworldproblems

Redsfaithful
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Friends with Kids would have been much better with a different lead actress, but she wrote it so I guess she gets to be the star.

21 Jump Street was very funny.

*BaseClogger*
03-20-2012, 02:14 AM
I just finished Bringing Out the Dead. If anybody else has seen it and would like to share their thoughts, I'm all ears. Is it a black comedy? Was Martin Scorsese on acid?

Sweetstop
03-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Friends with Kids would have been much better with a different lead actress, but she wrote it so I guess she gets to be the star..

and jennifer westfeldt is jon hamm's love in life, so she's doin' okay..:)

Roy Tucker
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Watched "The Big Year" over the weekend. A modest yet humorous and affable "birding" movie with Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson.

I really liked the non-fiction book this is based on so I was looking forward to this movie. I wasn't disappointed. But I can see why it tanked at the box office. There just isn't much of a market for this kind of movie. No superheroes, big explosions, thundering soundtrack, large breasts, or snickering jokes. Its a group of birders set on a big year, a quest to outdo each other by finding the most species of birds in North America. Their competition is an allegory for the challenges faced in their lives.

Caveat Emperor
03-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Two recents:

- John Carter: Loved. It. Just a fantastic good old adventure yarn with some truly amazing effects. The look and feel of the movie is amazing, and the world it creates is one I'd love to see more of (...but we won't, due to the movie's box office status). The movie, more so than most sci-fi spectacles, goes out of it's way to make the characters feel like real people. There's one scene in particular, with Carter running head-long into a fight and clips of his past interspersed, that was just perfect.

This movie deserved a better fate.

B+ / A-

- The Hunger Games: Tremendously disappointing. I've read (and enjoyed) the book series, and the movie does a great job of bringing the scenes and the characters to life. The cast is just about perfect (especially Lenny Kravitz, of all people, as Cinna) and the two leads fit their roles well. The dystopian future "world" is also well realized and seems like it jumped off the pages.

The directing, though, is beyond terrible. The film feels like it was shot by a bunch of people running through the forest with their iPhones out. The shaky-cam "documentary" style is overused in just about every phase of the movie, and it gets so bad during the action sequences that you miss what's going on. I guess that's the point if you want to preserve a PG-13 rating in a movie where kids kill one another, but it makes the entire film difficult to sit through.

Additionally, the writers seemed hell-bent on removing every aspect of the Katniss character that made her an interesting and different heroine in the books.

D+ / C-

Razor Shines
03-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Two recents:

- John Carter: Loved. It. Just a fantastic good old adventure yarn with some truly amazing effects. The look and feel of the movie is amazing, and the world it creates is one I'd love to see more of (...but we won't, due to the movie's box office status). The movie, more so than most sci-fi spectacles, goes out of it's way to make the characters feel like real people. There's one scene in particular, with Carter running head-long into a fight and clips of his past interspersed, that was just perfect.

This movie deserved a better fate.

B+ / A-

- The Hunger Games: Tremendously disappointing. I've read (and enjoyed) the book series, and the movie does a great job of bringing the scenes and the characters to life. The cast is just about perfect (especially Lenny Kravitz, of all people, as Cinna) and the two leads fit their roles well. The dystopian future "world" is also well realized and seems like it jumped off the pages.

The directing, though, is beyond terrible. The film feels like it was shot by a bunch of people running through the forest with their iPhones out. The shaky-cam "documentary" style is overused in just about every phase of the movie, and it gets so bad during the action sequences that you miss what's going on. I guess that's the point if you want to preserve a PG-13 rating in a movie where kids kill one another, but it makes the entire film difficult to sit through.

Additionally, the writers seemed hell-bent on removing every aspect of the Katniss character that made her an interesting and different heroine in the books.

D+ / C-
Wow, really? Just saw it and thought it was very good. Originally I just read the book because I realized "Hey, my wife is an important part of my life and I should take an interest in stuff she likes.". But I really enjoyed the books.

Caveat Emperor
03-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Wow, really? Just saw it and thought it was very good. Originally I just read the book because I realized "Hey, my wife is an important part of my life and I should take an interest in stuff she likes.". But I really enjoyed the books.

I liked the books too -- the books go out of their way to portray Katniss as this mostly cold-blooded survivor. Her feelings sometimes get a little muddled, but it's always clear that she believes she's playing a role during the games designed to win her sympathy and support. The movie glosses over that and the end result is a movie that feels like a tween romance.

The ending of the book, where Katniss comes clean with Peeta was a fantastic emotional punch -- and they completely cut that out of the movie for no discernible reason.

Razor Shines
03-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I liked the books too -- the books go out of their way to portray Katniss as this mostly cold-blooded survivor. Her feelings sometimes get a little muddled, but it's always clear that she believes she's playing a role during the games designed to win her sympathy and support. The movie glosses over that and the end result is a movie that feels like a tween romance.

The ending of the book, where Katniss comes clean with Peeta was a fantastic emotional punch -- and they completely cut that out of the movie for no discernible reason.

I guess it was hard for me to separate myself from someone who read the books and someone who was just watching a movie, because i thought all those things were portrayed in the movie just somewhat subdued. It could be they left it a little ambiguous in the movie so that people could see what they wanted. If you knew the story perhaps you would see a stone cold survivor playing a part but still conflicted about her feelings.

bucksfan2
03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I went out yesterday and saw the Hunger Games. I thought it was an enjoyable flick, wanted to kick the person who decided to shoot the film like that because the first half hour or so was difficult to watch becasue of the camera action.

As for the movie itself it was well done. I have only read the first two books and thought they took too much from what you learn in the second novel and incorporate it in the movie. I don't remember President Snow really playing much of a role in the first novel nor do I remember Katnis being defiant. Overall I give it about a B+, but I am easy to please when it comes to movies.

Roy Tucker
03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Like many, I went to see The Hunger Games this weekend with spousal unit and daughters. I liked it and would give it a B/B+. I thought they told the story well, it was paced well, and was faithful to the book. Some things got cut or changed, but any book-to-movie translation has that. I though the reaping part was especially done well and gut-wrenching.

My complaints (besides the jumpiness of the cameras) was that it did lose the grittiness of the book. In the book, the main characters were Appalachians who were half-starved living on squirrels and rabbits. But the actors in the movie seemed to be picked for their attractiveness and "hunk-iness" and anything but on the edge of starvation. And also that Katniss came to be a calculated killer but her movie character was much softer.

HeatherC1212
03-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I haven't been to the movies in forever but I'm seeing The Hunger Games on Saturday. I plan on reading the book first so I can follow the movie a little better and compare the two as well. Books are almost always better than the actual movie which is fine as long as the movie is entertaining. :)

*BaseClogger*
06-11-2012, 03:19 AM
So, who else has seen Prometheus?

improbus
06-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I should really start some sort of campaign to stop people from going to reboots, remakes, and superfluous sequels. I would blame Hollywood completely, but we are the sheep who keep going to these movies over and over again. Let's get some creativity back and maybe, just maybe, they might create some "new" franchises that we can all love.

Outrider
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm with you on the remakes. Green Hornet for example was the worst remake I have ever seen. No resemblance to the original at all. I cringe now everytime I see an advert for a remake.

GoReds
06-13-2012, 10:15 AM
So, who else has seen Prometheus?

Saw it yesterday. Visuals were very cool. Storyline was...eh. Charlize Theron in skin tight outfits = awesome.

Nice to see at the theatre, but it's not a very memorable movie.

medford
06-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I should really start some sort of campaign to stop people from going to reboots, remakes, and superfluous sequels. I would blame Hollywood completely, but we are the sheep who keep going to these movies over and over again. Let's get some creativity back and maybe, just maybe, they might create some "new" franchises that we can all love.

Sounds good on pape, but think about the reboots that you'd miss out on:

The latest Batman incarnation.
Ocean's 11
Cape Fear
Thomas Crown affair
Dracula
Ransome
Man on Fire

(to name a few)

then there are the adapation of films from foreign language films like
Insomnia
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Ring
Italian Stunt Job

How many times has James Bond script been given a new location, new gadget and perhaps most importantly a new bond girl while following a similar plot development? There have been a ton of great Bond Films.

A good movie is a good movie, no matter how old or often its been repeated. If its well shot and well acted, then it turns into a good movie.

We don't need to boycott sequals, remakes or reboots, we need to boycott bad movies. What is bad is highly subjective, so good luck with that.

*BaseClogger*
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Saw it yesterday. Visuals were very cool. Storyline was...eh. Charlize Theron in skin tight outfits = awesome.

Nice to see at the theatre, but it's not a very memorable movie.

I wasn't a big fan of the plot either, but memorable? I spent the next three days reading about it online haha...

improbus
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Sounds good on pape, but think about the reboots that you'd miss out on:

The latest Batman incarnation.
Ocean's 11
Cape Fear
Thomas Crown affair
Dracula
Ransome
Man on Fire

(to name a few)

then there are the adapation of films from foreign language films like
Insomnia
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Ring
Italian Stunt Job

How many times has James Bond script been given a new location, new gadget and perhaps most importantly a new bond girl while following a similar plot development? There have been a ton of great Bond Films.

A good movie is a good movie, no matter how old or often its been repeated. If its well shot and well acted, then it turns into a good movie.

We don't need to boycott sequals, remakes or reboots, we need to boycott bad movies. What is bad is highly subjective, so good luck with that.

I'm not saying that Hollywood shouldnt make those types of movies. But, it is pretty much all they are making. In the 70s and 80s, Hollywood invented brands:
Star Wars
Rocky
Back to the Future
Indiana Jones
Jaws
Alien

The list could go on and on. Now, they simply take super popular books and make them into franchises (Harry Potter, LOTR's, Twilight) where the fans already know the ending. Or, they simply take comic books and build a movie around them. Or a kids show (Transformers, GI Joe).

So, when kids who are 15 now talk to their kids, what are they going to be nostalgic about and how odd are those conversations going to be.

"What was your favorite movie as a kid?"
"Spiderman."
"Which one, the one with the dorky guy or the one with the British guy?"
"You know, the one with the Redhead."
"Was she pretty?"
"Kind of, kind of not."
"Oh, okay. I think I know which one youre talking about."

I'm not saying that they cannot make good movies. The Dark Knight was tremendous, and everything I hear about the new Star Trek and Superman movies has been positive.

But, Hollywood isn't willing to take too many chances on new franchises. They cost so much money to make that they need a guaranteed audience. This is a smart financial plan but it certainly fails to capture my imagination.

*BaseClogger*
06-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I decided to test your theory and take a look at my watchlist on IMDb. These are my 9 star and 10 star films from the last five years:

Drive (adapted novel)
50/50 (original screenplay)
500 Days of Summer (original screenplay)
Knocked Up (original screenplay)
The Dark Knight (comic book franchise)
Inglourious Basterds (original screenplay)
Midnight in Paris (original screenplay)
District 9 (original screenplay)
No Country for Old Men (adapted novel)
The Fighter (original screenplay)
The Hurt Locker (original screenplay)

There's my 11 favorite movies from the past five years, and eight of them are original screenplays; two that are not are adapted from far-from-household novels. Only Batman is the obvious fanchise, and it had one of the best directors of our generation at the helm.

The Prestige, Children of Men, and Little Miss Sunshine all just missed the cut by a year and are (mostly) original franchises.

I think film has gone the same way as music--there's just more of it out there. As a result of the development of the internet, you really have to dig to find the good stuff. The studios and record companies are cramming garbage down your throat. But it's there...

improbus
06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I decided to test your theory and take a look at my watchlist on IMDb. These are my 9 star and 10 star films from the last five years:

Drive (adapted novel)

There's my 11 favorite movies from the past five years, and eight of them are original screenplays; two that are not are adapted from far-from-household novels. Only Batman is the obvious fanchise, and it had one of the best directors of our generation at the helm.

The Prestige, Children of Men, and Little Miss Sunshine all just missed the cut by a year and are (mostly) original franchises.

I think film has gone the same way as music--there's just more of it out there. As a result of the development of the internet, you really have to dig to find the good stuff. The studios and record companies are cramming garbage down your throat. But it's there...
I was thinking more about Franchises than simply movies. I agree that there are a ton of good movies and there always will be, just like music. But The Dark Knight is the only franchise movie on your list and it is not an original concept.

Look, there have always been sequels and a certain lack of originality in Hollywood. But, I would argue that art is at its best when the good stuff actually makes it to the general public and is not just revealed by the Oscars or music writers. The historic movies are the ones that combine public viewership with critical acclaim.

The only (non children's) movies that combined box office success with originality in the last 5 years have been Avatar (although Ferngully fans might argue with me), Inception, The Hangover and Hancock.

In 1984, look at the original movies that were top 10 grossing, original, and franchise creators:
Beverly Hills Cop
Ghostbusters
Gremlins
The Karate Kid
Police Academy

1988: look at the movies in the top 10 (while most didn't inspire franchises, but they were all excellent movies that were creative and brought something new or unique to the box office.
Rain Man (number one)
Roger Rabbit
Coming to America
Big
Die Hard
The Naked Gun
Beetlejuice

There was so much more creativity making it to the masses instead of simply doing layups. Look a the 2011 top 10:
Harry Potter 7 part 2
Transformers 3
Pirates 4
Twilight (who knows)
Mission Impossible 4
Kung Fu Panda 2
Fast Five
The Hangover part 2
The Smurfs
Cars 2

We are sheep. Why do we allow them to do this?

improbus
06-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Two other points:
1) The real reason Hollywood makes big, easy sequels is the international market. The American market is only about 1/4 of Hollywoods total gross on most films and big explosions and simpler films tend to be easier to watch in translation (like watching Wile E. Coyote cartoons on international flights).

2) If we rewarded the movies you mentioned the way we do Transformers, we would get more of them. Hollywood (and any business) responds to what works in the market. If all we demanded was Inception like High Concept movies, that is what we would get from the big studios. The same goes for Reality TV, top 40 radio, fast food, the BCS, etc.... We can complain about all of them, but we (the market) pay for all of them and provide them with the incentive to make more of it.

medford
06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Perhaps Hollywood learned something from themselves when it comes to making sequels and turning good movies into franchises:

Have you seen Gremlins 2?
Or Ghostbusters 2?
Or the Karate Kid 3, not to mention "the next karate kid"
Or Police Academy 3-whenever they finally killed off that series.
The Naked Gun 2 & 33-1/3

That doesn't even mention other 80s franchises with terrible sequals (and often more than 1 sequel) like Revenge of the Nerds. Breakin, Nightmare on Elmstreet.

Beverly Hills Cop = Good, 2 was OK, 3 was forgettable

Coming to America while good, isn't exactly an original idea, how many "trading places" type movies have we seen thru the years? The 80s seems to have a million of them.

Die Hard, I guess you didn't know this was based upon a book:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861636/

At any rate, you confuse me, you complain that they make no new franchises, but also complain about the franchises on that list, 1 of which was made up from a ride at an amusement park, another from a toy/saturday morning cartoon (you're not stealing a story from that format). As far as I know, the Hangover, Kung Fu Panda, Cars and F&F were never books, so there are your 'original franchises' that you clamoring for, but complaining about at the same time.

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2012, 11:03 AM
The movies I listed all made a good chunk of change. And I think the argument could be made about District 9 as a franchise. But I digress.

Does it really matter whether my favorite movies made a lot of money or not if they are still being produced?

Razor Shines
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Two other points:
1) The real reason Hollywood makes big, easy sequels is the international market. The American market is only about 1/4 of Hollywoods total gross on most films and big explosions and simpler films tend to be easier to watch in translation (like watching Wile E. Coyote cartoons on international flights).

2) If we rewarded the movies you mentioned the way we do Transformers, we would get more of them. Hollywood (and any business) responds to what works in the market. If all we demanded was Inception like High Concept movies, that is what we would get from the big studios. The same goes for Reality TV, top 40 radio, fast food, the BCS, etc.... We can complain about all of them, but we (the market) pay for all of them and provide them with the incentive to make more of it.

You kind of argued against yourself, I think. Americans did support Inception. It made $292M US and $532M foreign. Transformers Dark Side of the Moon made $352M US and $771M foreign. The US numbers are comparable but Inception gets killed in other countries. I don't think American movie goers are the ones you should be complaining to, we rewarded a high concept movie in Inception.

improbus
06-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Drive (adapted novel)

Outside of Dark Knight, The first two Transformers movies made as much as the other 11 combined.

improbus
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
You kind of argued against yourself, I think. Americans did support Inception. It made $292M US and $532M foreign. Transformers Dark Side of the Moon made $352M US and $771M foreign. The US numbers are comparable but Inception gets killed in other countries. I don't think American movie goers are the ones you should be complaining to, we rewarded a high concept movie in Inception.

We also spent a combined $1.7 billion dollars on a Twilight Movie, Shrek 4, another Karate Kid, another Tron Movie, Another Focker movie, The Last Airbender (which made an unforgivable 131 million dollars), and a Yogi Bear movie in 2010.

Inception is an excellent example of what I want from Hollywood. It is too early in the movie cycle to know the impact it is going to have on new movies and I hope our box office numbers make movies like that more common.

Ohayou
06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Inception? Kill me now.

Razor Shines
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Inception? Kill me now.

I know a few people that didn't like it, but I don't understand it. I thought it was fantastic.

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
I know a few people that didn't like it, but I don't understand it. I thought it was fantastic.

I liked it, but I think a lot of people like me were frustrated to see people suddenly gushing over Chris Nolan after he's been making excellent films for over a decade now. I call it "oh look at me, I'm so intellectual because I like Inception" syndrome...

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Outside of Dark Knight, The first two Transformers movies made as much as the other 11 combined.

Meh, you gotta look at the budget to figure out what the marginal return was too. Most of the movies I posted were not given a significant budget and I'm not gonna bother to do the math, but I imagine they were all very successful films for the movie studios...

Ohayou
06-16-2012, 05:40 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think Nolan is an excellent, perhaps even brilliant populist craftsman, but he's tragically lacking in emotional or social intelligence or any kind of insight.

Tony Cloninger
06-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think Nolan is an excellent, perhaps even brilliant populist craftsman, but he's tragically lacking in emotional or social intelligence or any kind of insight.

The Dark Knight did not have social or emotional intelligence? I guess I am stupid then. You sound like one of those fancy critics who uses big words and leave you scratching your head about which movie they were watching with everyone else.

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Yes, tragic. I know when I think of the great tragedies theres the holocaust, apartheid and Nolan's lack of social and emotional intelligence.

Ohayou
06-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Wow. I'm sorry I even posted.

*BaseClogger*
06-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Wow. I'm sorry I even posted.

I appreciated your post... :)

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Inception? Kill me now.

You're right, you came in with your very humble opinion.

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I liked it, but I think a lot of people like me were frustrated to see people suddenly gushing over Chris Nolan after he's been making excellent films for over a decade now. I call it "oh look at me, I'm so intellectual because I like Inception" syndrome...

I guess. I understand and I've had to point out how great Memento and The Prestige are to people who didn't know Nolan before the Dark Knight, but there's no way I'd let other people suddenly gushing over Nolan take away from my enjoyment of Inception.

And if you're looking down your nose at people for liking Inception with "kill me now" responses, then that's taking movie snobbishness to another level.

Ohayou
06-16-2012, 04:52 PM
The Dark Knight did not have social or emotional intelligence? I guess I am stupid then. You sound like one of those fancy critics who uses big words and leave you scratching your head about which movie they were watching with everyone else.

Do you think all new films and directors are just like Nolan and his work? Or do you just think he's so far above everybody else that if you don't like him, you'd have to not like movies? Either way, it's an incredibly idiotic statement to make. There are plenty of people around here who watch lots of new films and don't much like Nolan; there are plenty of us who love science fiction and don't think Inception is a very good example of it.

You're right, you came in with your very humble opinion.

I was being facetious, obviously. Your post, however (along with Tony's), was totally uncalled for.

And if you're looking down your nose at people for liking Inception with "kill me now" responses, then that's taking movie snobbishness to another level.

It's amazing how individuality has suddenly become a dirty word on this forum.

Being a snob really has nothing to do with your tastes in film but rather your attitude about said tastes. Some of the snobbiest posters on this board have very narrow and unevolved filmic tastes.

RichRed
06-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I finally watched "Hangover 2." Still waiting for the funny parts to begin.

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Actually I think my post was obviously facetious. I wouldn't say any of the posts in this thread were uncalled for.

Never said you had to like Inception and i really dont care if you do or not but responding to people who do like it with "kill me now" seems like you're looking down at them. Now you say you were being facetious and that's cool but it wasn't obvious.

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 05:34 PM
If I was talking to someone and they used the word "filmic" I would respond with "kill me now."

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 05:37 PM
You described a film director's short comings as tragic and I'm not supposed to make light of it?

KoryMac5
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Owed the wife a movie after taking her to see the Avengers. She loves musicals and chose Rock of Ages. After sitting through 2 hrs of stinky cheese the next several picks will be mine. She might not get another pick until 2014 or until my next minor screw up.

improbus
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Owed the wife a movie after taking her to see the Avengers. She loves musicals and chose Rock of Ages. After sitting through 2 hrs of stinky cheese the next several picks will be mine. She might not get another pick until 2014 or until my next minor screw up.

My wife has the superpower of picking the only movie in the theaters that I don't want to see (aka...anything with Matthew McConaughey). Also, her egregious decision is compounded by fact that we only see about 2 movies per year in the theater (one of the many casualties of having small children).

KoryMac5
06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
My wife has the superpower of picking the only movie in the theaters that I don't want to see (aka...anything with Matthew McConaughey). Also, her egregious decision is compounded by fact that we only see about 2 movies per year in the theater (one of the many casualties of having small children).

So I take it that the movie Magic Mike may be in your near future, as it does star a certain Matthew.

*BaseClogger*
06-19-2012, 03:41 AM

McConaughey has actually taken on a surprising number of interesting roles this year...

improbus
06-19-2012, 08:11 AM
McConaughey has actually taken on a surprising number of interesting roles this year...

Is he going to have slicked back hair, a slight southern accent, and be sweaty in them? If not, thats not the Matthew I know (and my wife loves).

KittyDuran
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Is he going to have slicked back hair, a slight southern accent, and be sweaty in them? If not, thats not the Matthew I know (and my wife loves).IIRC, in Magic Mike he's a stripper... :eek:

Tony Cloninger
06-22-2012, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=Ohayou;2630807]Do you think all new films and directors are just like Nolan and his work? Or do you just think he's so far above everybody else that if you don't like him, you'd have to not like movies? Either way, it's an incredibly idiotic statement to make. There are plenty of people around here who watch lots of new films and don't much like Nolan; there are plenty of us who love science fiction and don't think Inception is a very good example of it.

No I do not think all directors are like Nolan.
No I do not and did not state that his movies were above everyone else's.
Talk about taking things and running with them..... You must not like movies beacuse you do not like Nolan? I said that? That's what I meant? How did you take it as I meant that? Again....... your a little arrogant in your opinions and retorts.
Assuming that I said that when I did not come close to saying that.

It had nothing to do with liking Nolan or Science Fiction...It had to do with your comment about his movies having NO Emotional depth.

Ohayou
06-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I apologize, that reply was directed more towards all of Nolan's overzealous fanboys (not saying you are one) than you. It was an overreaction.

Anyways, I don't hate him, but his films, while entertaining to a degree, come off as too constructed for their own good. In other words, they're soulless.

Larry Schuler
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
My biggest criticism of Nolan is he cuts some of his sequences like movie trailers with loud score & sweeping shots & quick cuts and there is no breathing room or time for the actors to emote/play or the audience to soak the subtext in. It can feel like being told plot points & events instead of the characters being shown living out those events.

knuckleballah22
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I saw the movie CHRONICLE the other night and it blew my mind... definitely see it!

Sweetstop
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
i enjoyed "my week with marilyn" very much.

Chip R
06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Saw "Brave" on Saturday. It was funny and cute. Good movie for kids.

Sweetstop
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Saw "Brave" on Saturday. It was funny and cute. Good movie for kids.

3yr. olds?

Chip R
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
3yr. olds?

Maybe. There's a few scenes with bears that could be scary for them though.

Spitball
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Yesterday, my wife and I saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I thought it was okay. It had a few chuckles and a few tender, moving moments. We are in our late fifties and were the youngest people in the theater. It is definitely for older people.

Today, we saw Rock of Ages. We were the oldest people there. I think it was probably one of the five worst movies I have ever seen.

improbus
06-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Maybe. There's a few scenes with bears that could be scary for them though.

My daughter is 4 and was petrified by the bears. But, she is scared by every movie villain and so she is very limited in the movies she will chose to watch.

Sweetstop
06-26-2012, 08:54 AM
my husband and i are a bit older than you, spitball, and i definitely want to see "the best exotic marigold hotel", plus, it's full of great actors.

Sweetstop
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
My daughter is 4 and was petrified by the bears. But, she is scared by every movie villain and so she is very limited in the movies she will chose to watch.

my 3 yr. old grandtoddlers (one boy/one girl) became enamored with "babe" while visiting recently. i'd forgotten what a good movie it is.

BuckeyeRed27
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
my 3 yr. old grandtoddlers (one boy/one girl) became enamored with "babe" while visiting recently. i'd forgotten what a good movie it is.

John Goodman does give a convincing performance :)

foxfire123
06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Surprisingly entertaining, you have to suspend reality of course, but it was a good action flick. We didn't see it in 3-d, but in a way I wish we would have since it has the feel of a movie that would translate very well to 3-d.

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
"the artist" is lovely..gonna watch it again.

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 08:20 AM
John Goodman does give a convincing performance :)

heh-heh, hah-hah...funny fellow. :)

reds44
07-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Saw Ted tonight. As funny as I thought it would be.

Sweetstop
07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
"war horse" is , well, long.

bucksfan2
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Saw Ted. Funny and crude which is right up my alley.

Captain13
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM

My five year old loved it. My two year old says he loved it, but he slept at least an hour of the movie. My wife did not enjoy it, said it is the worst (least great) of the Pixar films.

WildcatFan
07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Moonrise Kingdom yet. I've seen it twice now, and it's pretty close to perfect. I've been fighting saying this, but I think it passed The Royal Tenenbaums as my favorite Anderson movie.

There's a scene on a beach that's one of my favorite things I've ever seen on film.

Bruce Willis and Edward Norton are outstanding, Murrary is Murray, even Tilda Swinton is hilarious at times. And the two kid leads are just brilliantly directed. Can you tell I liked it?

Redsfaithful
07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Moonrise Kingdom is basically a perfect movie.

improbus
07-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Moonrise Kingdom is basically a perfect movie.

Wait, you can make a movie without huge explosions? Or 3D? Or tons of CGI? Or without a franchise?

Larry Schuler
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Kingdom was my favorite of the year by far. I think it's appeal is a bit narrow but if you are in that group of people who enjoys Wes Anderson & quirky, stylized, relationship-dramadies you'll love this.

improbus
07-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I tend to like the idea of Wes Anderson movies more than the actual movies. Other things that qualify:
Chinese Food
The NFL
LoFi Indie Rock
Most Candy
Most Wine

improbus
07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Earlier in the thread, I lamented on the laziness of Hollywood and their propensity to make easy movies instead of producing new ideas. Having thought about it, I think I missed some nuances in my argument.

First, I think it is more on the studios than the actual directors. This is completely understandable from most of their points of view. It is their job to make money, not necessarily art.

But, I have come to see one part of my thesis that i missed and was very short sighted on my part. These modern movie franchises (Spiderman, Pirates, Bourne, even Bond, etc...) are very akin to ancient Greco Roman mythology. This may seem like a stretch, but hear me out. Every Greek or Roman knew the stories. They knew general plot lines. But, it was up to each author/playwright to interpret the myth and put their own unique spin on it. The old myth would gain new life and new meaning to new groups of people. This is similar to what is happening with movies. Almost everyone knows how Peter Parker/Bruce Wayne/Superman became superheroes. But, each director has taken a slightly different viewpoint on the characters, their motivations, dilemmas, and heroism. Why did Nolan create the Batman he did? That is the interesting question.

redsmetz
07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Last week I picked up a CD at the library on Motown. I realized after listening to it that it was the soundtrack for a documentary about the label's house band(s), The Funk Brothers. I got the DVD from the library today and watched it while eating dinner. It's a decent enough documentary that tells their story (relatively unheralded), recreates a few incidents with actors (perhaps the weakest part of the film, although the stories are with the voice over of the musicians recounting the tale) and intersperses a concert featuring the band and current musicians performing the classic Motown songs. Those that I knew beforehand were Joan Osborne, Chaka Kahn, Ben Harper and Bootsy Collins.

It's a lot of fun and does a good job telling their story. And they still have considerable chops playing. The Cincinnati library has copies of both, so you can request it from there (after I bring it back!).

Ohayou
07-23-2012, 12:08 AM
If you weren't already aware, a newly restored version of Lawrence of Arabia has been prepared for a Blu-Ray release on November 13th. This also coincides with a planned theatrical re-release (!) in October.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/322381/sphe-press-release-lawrence-of-arabia-50th-anniversary-blu-ray

Part of a Home Theater Forum discussion, including comments from restorer Robert Harris and film historian Adrian Turner:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/1500

Just as interesting, from my perspective, is that the film's most famous "missing" scene, Allenby's "seduction" of Lawrence to returning to the desert, has apparently been restored and will be included on the BRD as a special feature.

Suffice to say I'm extremely excited. I will bend arms, break legs, possibly even commit crimes to see Lawrence in theaters.

improbus
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
If you weren't already aware, a newly restored version of Lawrence of Arabia has been prepared for a Blu-Ray release on November 13th. This also coincides with a planned theatrical re-release (!) in October.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/322381/sphe-press-release-lawrence-of-arabia-50th-anniversary-blu-ray

Part of a Home Theater Forum discussion, including comments from restorer Robert Harris and film historian Adrian Turner:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/308191/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/1500

Just as interesting, from my perspective, is that the film's most famous "missing" scene, Allenby's "seduction" of Lawrence to returning to the desert, has apparently been restored and will be included on the BRD as a special feature.

Suffice to say I'm extremely excited. I will bend arms, break legs, possibly even commit crimes to see Lawrence in theaters.

My students look at me like I'm some sort of alien when I say that this is my favorite movie.

KoryMac5
07-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Saw Moonrise Kingdom with the wife based on previous reviews here. Great afternoon date movie.

redsfanmia
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I caught Almost Famous on Cinemax last night and forgot just how great it was, I haven't seen it in a long time and for whatever reason always missed the first 15 minutes, pure joy.

vaticanplum
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I caught Almost Famous on Cinemax last night and forgot just how great it was, I haven't seen it in a long time and for whatever reason always missed the first 15 minutes, pure joy.

Possibly my favorite movie of all time, definitely in the top 2 or 3. I pick up on something new every time I watch it. It's so enjoyable in a straightforward way, but there's so much underneath it too.

Raisor
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Untilted (Almost Famous director's cut) is tremendously good.

Sweetstop
08-06-2012, 08:20 AM
seeing "we bought a zoo" w/ my granddaughter awhile back, i was glad to see cameron crowe was giving "almost famous" star, patrick fugit, work. :)

Sweetstop
08-10-2012, 05:51 PM
"mr. blandings builds his dream house"...finally got a dvd of one of my favorite cary grant films...yeesh. i'm gonna die one day and not get to watch his movies again.

camisadelgolf
08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
The new Total Recall might be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Razor Shines
08-10-2012, 07:29 PM

There's a lot of crap that comes out of Hollywood and so I don't say this lightly but.....I cannot believe multiple people thought it would be a good idea to throw $100 million at this movie.

*BaseClogger*
08-10-2012, 11:10 PM

I'm going to assume you streamed this illegally online?

camisadelgolf
08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm going to assume you streamed this illegally online?
I have some movie friends in LA who sent it to me illegally.

Spitball
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I just saw Bernie at one of those theaters that shows somewhat older movies. It was very good.

I have to watch Bourne Ultimatum before I watch the new Bourne movie. I have watched the first two but want to get number three in there before I watch the next one. I have heard mixed reviews on number four.

camisadelgolf
08-11-2012, 11:12 PM
I just saw Bernie at one of those theaters that shows somewhat older movies. It was very good.

I have to watch Bourne Ultimatum before I watch the new Bourne movie. I have watched the first two but want to get number three in there before I watch the next one. I have heard mixed reviews on number four.
#3 is pretty good. I wouldn't pay to see #4 though. It's not that bad, but it certainly isn't good.

foxfire123
08-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX! Week of September 7th. :D

KittyDuran
08-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Might be seeing Singing in the Rain again on the big screen tomorrow night.

WildcatFan
08-22-2012, 09:36 AM

I saw it too, and it didn't quite resonate with me, unfortunately. Normally I'm a big fan of dark comedies, and Jack Black was terrific, but the rest of it didn't interest me so much. Not sure why--maybe it deserves a second viewing. I actually knew nothing of the story before going into it.

But Jack Black could get Oscar nods for this one--his best role, IMO.

redsfanmia
08-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Saw The Campaign, not good, I think it gave me one laugh.

BungleBengals
08-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Premium Rush doesn't look too good either. Has Hollywood run out of ideas that they have to resort to a bicycle thriller?

camisadelgolf
08-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Premium Rush doesn't look too good either. Has Hollywood run out of ideas that they have to resort to a bicycle thriller?
It's not about ideas anymore. It's about making money. If you want to see good, original ideas, you have to get into indie films.

redsfanmia
08-24-2012, 12:18 PM

I think its been done before with the 1980's Kevin Bacon vehicle Quicksilver.

Ohayou
08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
It's not about ideas anymore. It's about making money. If you want to see good, original ideas, you have to get into indie films.

Who needs originality when audiences are content with seeing the same movie made over and over with a different cast and a different title? :KoolAid:

improbus
08-26-2012, 09:08 PM

If you get motion sickness easily, don't watch Bourne 3. It's like riding the Beast for 2 hours.

camisadelgolf
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ToU79.png

Ohayou
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM

For those interested, Rave Motion Pictures in West Carrollton and Huber Heights will both be screening the re-release of this masterpiece on October, 4th at 1:00pm/7:00pm.

OldRightHander
09-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Just saw Trouble with the Curve. Kind of predictable, but not bad. Clint being himself basically. He plays a pretty good grumpy old man.

camisadelgolf
09-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Trouble with the Curve was overly Hollywood cliche. It's the worst effort I've seen from Eastwood in a long time.

*BaseClogger*
09-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Now Looper, on the other hand, is a perfect reminder of what Hollywood is capable of when it gets something right...

Razor Shines
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Now Looper, on the other hand, is a perfect reminder of what Hollywood is capable of when it gets something right...

I'm glad you posted this. We don't get to many movies any more. Going to Looper tonight, was hoping it would be worth it.

KittyDuran
09-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you posted this. We don't get to many movies any more. Going to Looper tonight, was hoping it would be worth it.

I have a free ticket and was thinking of seeing this movie as well...

camisadelgolf
09-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I have a free ticket and was thinking of seeing this movie as well...
Do it. It's one of the best movies of the year.

Ohayou
09-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Any cinephile who loves the lean functioning classics like Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from New York or the hard hitting ultra-violence of RoboCop owes it to themselves to see Dredd 3D.

Tom Servo
09-29-2012, 10:34 PM
The Braden Looper biopic was a lot different than I expected.

marcshoe
09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
The Braden Looper biopic was a lot different than I expected.

I might have missed it, but I haven't heard anyone mention that this the third movie by my count (12 Monkeys, The Kid) in which Bruce Willis has encountered his younger self.

improbus
09-30-2012, 08:19 PM
For those interested, Rave Motion Pictures in West Carrollton and Huber Heights will both be screening the re-release of this masterpiece on October, 4th at 1:00pm/7:00pm.

I'm so angry that it is only showing on Thursday. I have prior commitments....

OldRightHander
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I was thinking of venturing out this evening and I guess I'll take the recommendations and see Looper. If I don't like it, I'm holding you all responsible. I've been going a bit more often with Carren off visiting family in Kenya for a couple weeks. She's not a movie person. We've been once in the 11 years we've been married.

Degenerate39
10-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Saw Looper and it was amazing. One of the best movies of the year

camisadelgolf
10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Saw Looper and it was amazing. One of the best movies of the year
I might be riding high after just seeing it, but I was surprised at how good it was. There have been a lot of bad movies released in the past couple months, but Looper was really good.

*BaseClogger*
10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I might be riding high after just seeing it, but I was surprised at how good it was. There have been a lot of bad movies released in the past couple months, but Looper was really good.

If you had seen Brick you wouldn't have been surprised. And if you haven't seen Brick... why not?

camisadelgolf
10-08-2012, 02:37 AM
If you had seen Brick you wouldn't have been surprised. And if you haven't seen Brick... why not?
I always intended to watch that movie but simply forgot about it. I'll have to check it out.

dougdirt
10-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I always intended to watch that movie but simply forgot about it. I'll have to check it out.

It is available on Netflix. Pretty good movie.

marcshoe
10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I took the recommendation and put it in my Netflix instant queue. I've been listening to Ben Folds Five a lot lately anyway.

Razor Shines
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I took the recommendation and put it in my Netflix instant queue. I've been listening to Ben Folds Five a lot lately anyway.

Hi-Yoooo!! Their new album is good, btw.

foxfire123
10-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Saw Looper tonight. It was good, a bit slow in the middle, but very interesting. The twist ending was great, and the fact that it was pretty original for Hollywood was a nice change.

They showed the preview for the remake of Red Dawn too. Looks good, but then again, I'd pay to sit and watch Chris Hemsworth read a book.... lol!

dougdirt
10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Went and saw Pitch Perfect this afternoon. If you saw the previews and thought it would be your kind of movie, take the time to go see it. It was fantastic.

KoryMac5
10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Went and saw Pitch Perfect this afternoon. If you saw the previews and thought it would be your kind of movie, take the time to go see it. It was fantastic.

Yeah I agree Doug, saw this with the wife a few weeks ago and it was very enjoyable. Very surprised by the film as I thought I would dislike it going in. Lots of interesting characters throughout the movie and the mash-ups were pretty well done.

OldRightHander
10-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Just saw Argo. I would recommend it highly.

*BaseClogger*
10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm seeing Argo later tonight and my expectations are high, but it's going to have to be *really* good to top Seven Psychopaths. The film itself was even more psychopathic than its characters, but you'll be hard-pressed to have a better time at the theaters this year...

BuckeyeRed27
10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Argo was great. Ben Afflack knows how to direct a movie.

bucksfan2
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Argo was great. Ben Afflack knows how to direct a movie.

Really enjoyed Argo. I am not a big fan of Ben Afflack the actor but I thought he did a very good job. The only complaint I had was the character Afflack was portraying name was Mendez. Other than that very well done.

foxfire123
10-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Watched American History X last night. Amazing movie. wish I hadn't waited so long to watch it.

*BaseClogger*
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Anybody else on the fence about whether they think Cloud Atlas looks any good?

RichRed
10-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Anybody else on the fence about whether they think Cloud Atlas looks any good?

Looks like a movie that's awfully full of itself to me.

Wonderful Monds
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Every time I see there is a recent post in this thread on the front page, all it says is "Official RedsZone Movie"

I mean, I guess if Moneyball worked...

nismoredlegs
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
"Cloud Atlas" looks like a good visual movie...much like "Tree of Life".
I'll most likely go see it.
Sometimes awe inspiring graphics can make up for a lack of plot or just a bad plot.

Just saw "Tucker and Dale Vs Evil" on netflix. Pretty funny.

marcshoe
10-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Saw Cabin in the Woods, Joss Wheedon and Drew Goddard's deconstruction of the modern horror movie. Postmodernism wins.

I guess. Hard to say, when you think about it.

I'm not normally a fan of gratuitous gratuitousness, but here, that's kind of the point.

WildcatFan
10-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Saw Cabin in the Woods, Joss Wheedon and Drew Goddard's deconstruction of the modern horror movie. Postmodernism wins.

I guess. Hard to say, when you think about it.

I'm not normally a fan of gratuitous gratuitousness, but here, that's kind of the point.

First time I saw it, I vividly remember the moment that my shock turned into an understanding of what the movie was about.

cinredsfan2000
10-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Probably going to catch Prometheus this weekend been seeing the previews looks interesting .Im not a huge sci fi fan but this one caught my interest.

marcshoe
10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
First time I saw it, I vividly remember the moment that my shock turned into an understanding of what the movie was about.

I read an interview in which the reporter asked Drew Goddard, who wrote for "Lost" for a while, if "Cabin" could be considered the true Lost finale. He said yeah, he guessed so.

And when you think about it, he has a point. As unlike Lost as this movie is, it perfectly explains the Lost universe.

WildcatFan
10-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Finally saw Prometheus, and I feel like I have a decent grasp of the Alien universe, but I really wasn't sure what was going on. That said, breathtaking to watch. I really enjoyed it, even without an idea of what it all meant.

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2012, 03:31 PM
November is shaping up to be a very strong month. I'm eagerly anticipating the releases of Wreck-It Ralph, Flight, Skyfall, Lincoln, and Killing Them Softly. Especially Skyfall and Killing Them Softly...

dougdirt
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Went and saw Chasing Mavericks. Not a bad flick at all.

westofyou
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/358618/new-star-wars-film-coming-in-2015-as-disney-buys-lucasfilm-for-4-billion

marcshoe
10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm laser-focused on Lincoln tight now.

WildcatFan
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Watched Pitch Perfect last night. I tell you, if you like a cappella music at all (I do), it's worth seeing. Genuinely funny at times. I would watch Anna Kendrick act any role, any time. She's wonderful.

(Fellas, surprise your ladies by suggesting this one. A cappella pop for her, eye candy for you.)

Dom Heffner
11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm laser-focused on Lincoln tight now.

Pee Wee Herman got caught exposing himself in an adult theater, I'm going to get caught in this one. I am there.

OldRightHander
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I saw Flight over the weekend. Having known family members with addiction problems, the portrayal was spot on.

KittyDuran
11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Just came back from seeing Skyfall (was off from work). Excellent! It's now in 2nd place all time (with Goldfinger 1st and Dr. No 3rd). Cinematography was wonderful and made good use of IMAX, you really felt like you were at the locations. Some globetrotting per usual but the majority of the story was set in GB. New but familiar characters are introduced or should we say re-introduced. Javier Bardem (as the villain) plays it very much in the vein of Ledger's "Joker"... funny and creepy at different times, and is definitely an upgrade from the previous outings.

RedsBaron
11-10-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree with Kitty: I saw "Skyfall" earlier today with my three sons. Excellent movie, not just an excellent James Bond movie.
I'm not sure where I will ultimately rank it among the Bond films, but right now I will say it should easily be in the top five all time, along with "Casino Royale", "From Russia With Love" and "Goldeneye."
"Skyfall" isn't just one set piece stunt after another without a coherent plot, as much of "Quantum of Solace" was. Mind you, the stunts are great, but it is a plot driven and actor driven film. It gives nods to past films, characters and even gadgets while still taking the 007 series forward.

OldRightHander
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I saw Skyfall last night. I would have to agree with everyone here. One of the best Bond films I've seen.

foxfire123
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I saw Skyfall last night. I would have to agree with everyone here. One of the best Bond films I've seen.

Boy am I going to get in trouble....

You must have to be a Bond fan to "get" Skyfall. I found it tedious and in parts, downright boring. Just wasn't impressed.

Then again for me, the best part of any Bond movies has been the music. Adele's "Skyfall" was amazing.

*BaseClogger*
11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
I found Skyfall to be a little overrated myself. It was probably negatively affected in comparison by the slew of surprisingly strong films to have recently come out of Hollywood (Looper, Argo, Seven Psychopaths)...

OldRightHander
11-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Boy am I going to get in trouble....

You must have to be a Bond fan to "get" Skyfall. I found it tedious and in parts, downright boring. Just wasn't impressed.

Then again for me, the best part of any Bond movies has been the music. Adele's "Skyfall" was amazing.

Well, it's like music. Preferences are kind of subjective. I kind of like that the Daniel Craig version isn't overly reliant on all the gadgets like previous Bond movies have been. It just seems more real. I kind of liked it.

I do agree with you on the theme. Great song.

foxfire123
11-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Lincoln.

Amazing. Beyond Amazing. If Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones don't get Oscar nominations for this movie, the nominating committee is blind.

OldRightHander
11-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Lincoln.

Amazing. Beyond Amazing. If Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones don't get Oscar nominations for this movie, the nominating committee is blind.

Agreed. I just got home from seeing it. Sally Field was pretty solid as well.

marcshoe
11-16-2012, 11:49 PM
I'll be seeing it tomorrow or Monday. Is there a surprise ending?

OldRightHander
11-16-2012, 11:57 PM
I'll be seeing it tomorrow or Monday. Is there a surprise ending?

I was a small bit surprised at the amount of humor. The trailers I had seen didn't show much of that.

marcshoe
11-17-2012, 09:58 PM
There was no Daniel Day Lewis in the movie, only Lincoln.

kaldaniels
11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Lincoln.

I could see Day-Lewis not winning just because you expect the guy to be so good. It's happened before.

Tommy Lee Jones (who is no slouch in his own right) was the pleasant suprise to me. Not knowing who the rest of the field is, I'd still think he is a good pick for supporting actor based on both his performance and the character he plays.

marcshoe
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
One thing I particularly liked was that the movie wasn't afraid to be complicated. It gave its audience credit for being intelligent. There were also little details for those who knew the story well, such as Mary's mention of Cold Harbor.

kaldaniels
11-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Lincoln 6.37 MM opening day
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 6.25 MM

Makes me kinda sad.

foxfire123
11-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Lincoln 6.37 MM opening day
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 6.25 MM

Makes me kinda sad.

Ahhh, but take into consideration what else opened on both weekends. Lincoln had to compete with Twilight. I can't remember what Vampire Hunter competed with that week.

and I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter also. I have to admit I enjoyed it. for what it was it was entertaining. You had to suspend reality and enjoy it for a historical-wanna be action movie.

George Anderson
11-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Lincoln.

It was pretty good other than the fact I couldn't believe he died in the end.

Razor Shines
11-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Whoa! Spoiler alert, some of us haven't seen it yet.

marcshoe
11-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Yeah, and he didn't need to. There was room for both him and Mary Todd on the raft.

improbus
11-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Does anyone else listen to the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast? They share my deep love for good/bad movies. It might be my favorite podcast, and that is saying something.

Some of my favorite good/bad movies:
Con Air (absolutely everything about that movie is wonderful, terrible, unbelievable, and ridiculous)
Roadhouse (the hair, the glorious hair, and one of the great movie villains of all time)
Point Break (any movie with Reeves, Swayze, and Busey on the poster has my full attention)
Any Fast movie (Vin is spectacular)
Most Stallone movies (Over the Top is an excellent example)
Face Off

There are just so many.

*BaseClogger*
11-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Does anyone else listen to the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast? They share my deep love for good/bad movies. It might be my favorite podcast, and that is saying something.

Con Air (absolutely everything about that movie is wonderful, terrible, unbelievable, and ridiculous)
Roadhouse (the hair, the glorious hair, and one of the great movie villains of all time)
Point Break (any movie with Reeves, Swayze, and Busey on the poster has my full attention)
Face Off

There are just so many.

Just about anything starring Nic Cage could be on that list...

Razor Shines
11-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Face Off

There are just so many.

I love that podcast.

forfreelin04
11-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Just about anything starring Nic Cage could be on that list...

The Rock would be at the top of my Nic Cage list.

Followed by: Gone in Sixty Seconds, Wicker Man, The Family Man, Snake Eyes, and Bringing out the Dead

The list could go on, but recently his movies have been super bad.

marcshoe
11-24-2012, 02:44 PM
The Rock is another story altogether, but I'm talking about Dwayne Johnson.

*BaseClogger*
11-24-2012, 11:02 PM

Followed by: Gone in Sixty Seconds, Wicker Man, The Family Man, Snake Eyes, and Bringing out the Dead

Have you seen Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call, New Orleans? Infinitely entertaining. I found Drive Angry to be pretty fun as well.

I wouldn't put Bringing Out the Dead in with those other "so bad they're fun" movies--that's a Scorsese flick. If we're talking movies Cage seriously performs in, you gotta start with Adaptation...

improbus
11-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Have you seen Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call, New Orleans? Infinitely entertaining. I found Drive Angry to be pretty fun as well.

I wouldn't put Bringing Out the Dead in with those other "so bad they're fun" movies--that's a Scorsese flick. If we're talking movies Cage seriously performs in, you gotta start with Adaptation...
You could start with Raising Arizona as well. His resume has to be one of the strangest of all time (although DeNiro has given him a run for his money lately).

improbus
11-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Speaking of Good/Bad movies, has anyone seen The Room? It might be the ultimate example. If you don't know about it, go to youtube and watch some scenes. It is simply indescribable.

I do feel bad piling onto the movie as much as some do. Unlike the movies I listed above, Tommy Wisseau (the director, writer, and star) was making his first movie, had no previous film experience, funded it himself, and has every excuse for making a truly terrible movie. Real actors and directors like Cage, DeNiro, and Spielberg don't. They've made great movies.

With all that said, when my friends and I watched The Room, we had to stop the DVD every 5 minutes or so to discuss what had just happened. We have never done that with a movie before or since. The ubiquitous question was, "Wait, what did he just say? Does that even make sense?" It is a movie experience that is worth having. (Just be nice to poor Tommy)...

*BaseClogger*
12-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Saw Silver Linings Playbook and Killing Them Softly this weekend. I thought the latter was solid, but the former was one of my favorites of 2012...

Tony Cloninger
12-08-2012, 09:11 PM

The villain and the way Javier played him....Was almost Joker like to me. These Bonds movies had to change after the Bourne and Batman movies came out and starting pushing movies ...action movies like these...to be smarter.

Tony Cloninger
12-08-2012, 09:13 PM

How does he keep being allowed to be in movies. He is almost Bruce Willis like in the teflon department of usage in movies. It's like Mike Brown making HC decisions and no matter how much the HC deserves to be canned.....he still keeps him.

Ohayou
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

Hopefully Snyder has finally made a movie that lives up to its trailer.

WildcatFan
12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

Hopefully Snyder has finally made a movie that lives up to its trailer.

We need more comic book movies like the Avengers. I'm tired of the brooding superhero. Especially Superman, who should, in theory, embrace camp more than all the rest.

*BaseClogger*
12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
We need more comic book movies

I'd be pretty happy if they never made another comic book movie, actually...

Gizmo
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't be against it either. That trailer excited me in no way to want to see yet another Superman movie.

Larry Schuler
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
The Fantastic Four movies are available on DVD and Blu-Ray if you want a cheesy, campy, "fun" super hero movie.

Chip R
12-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Yeah, no kidding. Every time they release one, my girlfriend drags me to one no matter how bad it is.

*BaseClogger*
12-14-2012, 11:27 AM
What we need is more boardgame movies! When does Candyland get released?

mole44
12-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Every time they release one, my girlfriend drags me to one no matter how bad it is.

You seriously complaining about that? ;) I'd kill for that, instead my wife drags me to chick flicks and musicals. Or at least she tries.

OldRightHander
12-14-2012, 01:56 PM
My wife doesn't go to movies at all. I always have to go by myself or find a friend.

redsfanmia
12-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I went to see Lincoln today, I really liked it. For the first time since I was a kid I was excited about the previews Django, Ganster Squad and The Lone Ranger look pretty strong.

OldRightHander
12-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Saw The Hobbit and enjoyed it. It was a fast three hours.

Stray
12-16-2012, 08:47 AM
The last movie I saw was Cloud Atlas, which was excellent. I know I'll have to watch it again when it comes out on video to fill in some holes, but the story, acting, score, and costumes were awesome.

Been meaning to go see Lincoln and haven't yet...we may go later on today.

Roy Tucker
12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I highly recommend Argo. An extremely well-told story.

This movie proves it is possible to make a movie with great plot and tension without explosions and car crashes and sweaty guys with steroid muscles.

It also proves we wore really stupid glasses in the late 70's.

dougdirt
12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I highly recommend Argo. An extremely well-told story.

This movie proves it is possible to make a movie with great plot and tension without explosions and car crashes and sweaty guys with steroid muscles.

It also proves we wore really stupid glasses in the late 70's.

A few things here....

I agree with point #1.

On point #2, I thought you originally said steroid mustaches and I laughed out loud. Then I re-read it and was disappointed that it didn't say steroid mustaches.

On point #3, speak for yourself. I wasn't alive in the 70's :laugh:

OldRightHander
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
What we need is more boardgame movies! When does Candyland get released?

Don't know. I don't have a Clue.

Razor Shines
12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Finally got out to see Killing Them Softly this weekend. I loved it. I understand why some thought it was boring but this was almost a perfect movie for my tastes.

KoryMac5
12-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Saw The Hobbit and enjoyed it. It was a fast three hours.

I thought about going but the reviews have been so so thus far. Most have said it was too long and filled with too much walking and talking. What was your take?

Razor Shines
12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Saw two movies yesterday. My wife and I took the morning off and went to the 9:50 am showing of This is 40 (that is 30 with 3 young boys). I liked Funny People more than Knocked Up and I liked This is 40 more than both.

Then after the boys went to bed we rented Killer Joe. Holy crap, this was very dark but great. Matthew Mcconaunaghey should seriously get an Oscar nomination, he plays pure evil in this movie to perfection.

improbus
12-22-2012, 07:34 PM
I thought about going but the reviews have been so so thus far. Most have said it was too long and filled with too much walking and talking. What was your take?
Haven't the critics read Tolkien? The Fellowship of the Ring is hundreds of pages of walking and talking. It is like criticizing Michael Bay for doing over the top action sequences.

Degenerate39
12-23-2012, 08:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuT8UeTk4s Has some bad language

BuckeyeRed27
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Loved "Zero Dark Thirty". Probably my favorite movie so far this year.

"This is 40" was a steaming pile of poo.

dougdirt
12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Went and saw Silver Linings Playbook last night. It was a good movie, but after hearing about how good it was, I felt it didn't live up to the billing. It was predictable at times. Still, pretty enjoyable.

WMR
12-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Dredd with Karl Urban is really great. Faithful to the comics and a far superior movie to the Stallone schlock fest. Ultra violent but also very funny at times.

Raisor
12-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Saw Django Unchained! today.

Amazing film.

I can see all four lead actors getting Oscar nominations. Foxx for Best Actor and SLJ, Waltz, and Leo all nominated for best supporting.

Over the last few weeks I've seen Lincoln (*****), the Hobbit (****3/4), and Django (*****).

Been a great few weeks.

Actually, it's been a great year for films.

Avengers (*****)
Django (*****)
Lincoln (*****)
Argo (*****)
Dark Knight Returns (****3/4)
The Hobbit (****3/4)

Then a bunch of **** films too.

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Amazing film.

I can see all four lead actors getting Oscar nominations. Foxx for Best Actor and SLJ, Waltz, and Leo all nominated for best supporting.

Over the last few weeks I've seen Lincoln (*****), the Hobbit (****3/4), and Django (*****).

Been a great few weeks.

Avengers (*****)
Django (*****)
Lincoln (*****)
Argo (*****)
The Hobbit (****3/4)

Where's Looper?

Raisor
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Where's Looper?

I enjoyed Looper, but not as much as everyone else.

Here's how I ranked them on another message board. (Note: I'll be seeing Les Mis this coming weekend and I'll add it to the list at that time)

1. The Avengers (*****)
Django Unchained! (*****)
Lincoln (*****)
The Hobbit (*****)
Argo (*****)
Skyfall (****3/4)
The Hunger Games (****3/4)
The Dark Knight Rises(****1/2)
End of Watch (****)
Snow White and the Huntsman (***3/4)
The Amazing Spider-Man (***1/2)
Looper (***1/2)
Men in Black III (***)
The Bourne Legacy (***)
The Campaign (***)
Safe House (**3/4)
Promethus (**)
Total Recall (*)

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I posted this 2012 movie list to Facebook a few days ago. I plan on watching Killer Joe tonight.

The Best:
Looper (10/10)
Seven Psychopaths (9/10)
Silver Linings Playbook (9/10)
Django Unchained (9/10)
Moonrise Kingdom (9/10)

These Were Pretty Durned Good Too:
Prometheus (8/10)
Argo (8/10)
Wreck-It Ralph (7/10)
Skyfall (7/10)
Lincoln (7/10)
The Dark Knight Rises (7/10)

I Also Reccomend:
Magic Mike (7/10)
The Avengers (7/10)
Lawless (7/10)
The Hunger Games (6/10)
Ted (6/10)
Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap (6/10)

I Was Disappointed, But They Weren't Bad:
Safety Not Guaranteed (6/10)
Killing Them Softly (6/10)
The Master (6/10)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (5/10)

These Are Kinda Indie/Artsy But They're K:
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (6/10)
Bernie (5/10)
Take This Waltz (5/10)

These Probably Got As Much Out Of Their Formula As They Could:
Safe House (5/10)
Savages (5/10)
Men in Black 3 (5/10)
Haywire (4/10)
The Dictator (4/10)
The Grey (4/10)
The Goon (4/10)

I Was Disappointed, Oh And They Kinda Sucked:
The Campaign (4/10)
Sleepwalk with Me (4/10) ***caveat: I think this material works great as stand-up***
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (4/10)
Premium Rush (4/10)

They Sucked:
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (3/10)
Mansome (3/10)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2/10)

I Wasn't Smart Enough To Watch And Had To Turn It Off After 10 Minutes:
Coriolanus

Still Eagerly Anticipating:
Zero Dark Thirty
Killer Joe
End of Watch
The Imposter
Detropia
21 Jump Street

Wouldn't Mind Seeing:
The Cabin in the Woods
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chronicle
Rampart
Project X
Casa de Mi Padre
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Your Sister's Sister
To Rome with Love
Cosmopolis
Dredd
Cloud Atlas
Flight
This Is 40

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I enjoyed Looper, but not as much as everyone else.

Here's how I ranked them on another message board. (Note: I'll be seeing Les Mis this coming weekend and I'll add it to the list at that time)

1. The Avengers (*****)
Django Unchained! (*****)
Lincoln (*****)
The Hobbit (*****)
Argo (*****)
Skyfall (****3/4)
The Hunger Games (****3/4)
The Dark Knight Rises(****1/2)
End of Watch (****)
Snow White and the Huntsman (***3/4)
The Amazing Spider-Man (***1/2)
Looper (***1/2)
Men in Black III (***)
The Bourne Legacy (***)
The Campaign (***)
Safe House (**3/4)
Promethus (**)
Total Recall (*)

There are a few discrepancies from what you posted before.

I disagree the most with your praise for The Hobbit while not giving sci-fi action thrillers like Looper and Prometheus enough credit.

But hey, different strokes...

Wonderful Monds
01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Do you like the humor of Tim and Eric otherwise? I always enjoyed their show, but I also like the avant garde, extremist absurd thing they do. It is admittedly very much a niche brand of humor.

Wonderful Monds
01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Also see Cabin In the Woods and Cloud Atlas ASAP. They are both among my favorite movies in years.

Wonderful Monds
01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Amazing film.

Been a great few weeks.

Avengers (*****)
Django (*****)
Lincoln (*****)
Argo (*****)
The Hobbit (****3/4)

I could see Leo getting one and Waltz too. I'm not sure Samuel L Jackson had enough of a role even though he was excellent.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Do you like the humor of Tim and Eric otherwise? I always enjoyed their show, but I also like the avant garde, extremist absurd thing they do. It is admittedly very much a niche brand of humor.

I've never actually watched their show on TV, but I've seen plenty of YouTube video clips of their antics that I enjoyed. I just don't think it can really entertain me for 90 minutes. I guess it could have been in a seperate category with Sleepwalk of "Comedies Better Suited For Another Medium".

I'm not really a horror movie guy and I'm worried about Cloud Atlas's running time (based on the reviews I've read some of the stories miss the mark), but I imagine I'll see both eventually. Thought I did pretty well for 2012!

texasdave
01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
IMO, Moonrise Kingdom was not worth watching. I struggled through it only because I was with my wife. Otherwise, I would have definitely walked out. What did people see in that movie? I missed it completely. My wife thought the movie was just OK.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
IMO, Moonrise Kingdom was not worth watching. I struggled through it only because I was with my wife. Otherwise, I would have definitely walked out. What did people see in that movie? I missed it completely. My wife thought the movie was just OK.

I'm not a Wes Anderson fanboy. I've probably liked about half of his movies. What are your thoughts on his other films?

For me, it was one of those "makes you smile" kind of movies. The quirk humor worked, I thought Ed Norton and Bill Murray played hilarious characters, the cinematography and costumes were vivid and colorful, the children characters felt geniune to me, it was just so unique. That was my take...

WMR
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Premium Rush doesn't "kind of suck."

Fun, well-made chase film.

WMR
01-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Killer Joe is pretty good, but not as good as the hype out there about the movie.

Baseclogger in a Magic Mike screening... :facepalm:

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Premium Rush doesn't "kind of suck."

Fun, well-made chase film.

The lead acting is solid and there are some exciting chase scenes, but the supporting cast is weak, much of the dialogue and plot holes made me cringe, and some of the stylistic effects looked dated (this all coming from a self-proffesed JGL and Michael Shannon fanboy)...

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Baseclogger in a Magic Mike screening... :facepalm:

Magic Mike is a guy flick masquerading as a chick flick...

WMR
01-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Magic Mike is a guy flick masquerading as a chick flick...

Seriously? I've held off b/c of the subject matter but sounds like I need to give it a try...

Not in the theater though. :D

WMR
01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
The lead acting is solid and there are some exciting chase scenes, but the supporting cast is weak, much of the dialogue and plot holes made me cringe, and some of the stylistic effects looked dated (this all coming from a self-proffesed JGL and Michael Shannon fanboy)...

I adore Michael Shannon's performance in this movie and Gordon-Levitt is always solid... allowed me to overlook the rough edges.

Razor Shines
01-02-2013, 11:52 PM
I posted this 2012 movie list to Facebook a few days ago. I plan on watching Killer Joe tonight.

The Best:
Looper (10/10)
Seven Psychopaths (9/10)
Silver Linings Playbook (9/10)
Django Unchained (9/10)
Moonrise Kingdom (9/10)

These Were Pretty Durned Good Too:
Prometheus (8/10)
Argo (8/10)
Wreck-It Ralph (7/10)
Skyfall (7/10)
Lincoln (7/10)
The Dark Knight Rises (7/10)

I Also Reccomend:
Magic Mike (7/10)
The Avengers (7/10)
Lawless (7/10)
The Hunger Games (6/10)
Ted (6/10)
Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap (6/10)

I Was Disappointed, But They Weren't Bad:
Safety Not Guaranteed (6/10)
Killing Them Softly (6/10)
The Master (6/10)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (5/10)

These Are Kinda Indie/Artsy But They're K:
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (6/10)
Bernie (5/10)
Take This Waltz (5/10)

These Probably Got As Much Out Of Their Formula As They Could:
Safe House (5/10)
Savages (5/10)
Men in Black 3 (5/10)
Haywire (4/10)
The Dictator (4/10)
The Grey (4/10)
The Goon (4/10)

I Was Disappointed, Oh And They Kinda Sucked:
The Campaign (4/10)
Sleepwalk with Me (4/10) ***caveat: I think this material works great as stand-up***
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (4/10)
Premium Rush (4/10)

They Sucked:
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (3/10)
Mansome (3/10)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2/10)

I Wasn't Smart Enough To Watch And Had To Turn It Off After 10 Minutes:
Coriolanus

Still Eagerly Anticipating:
Zero Dark Thirty
Killer Joe
End of Watch
The Imposter
Detropia
21 Jump Street

Wouldn't Mind Seeing:
The Cabin in the Woods
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chronicle
Rampart
Project X
Casa de Mi Padre
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Your Sister's Sister
To Rome with Love
Cosmopolis
Dredd
Cloud Atlas
Flight
This Is 40

If the ones I've seen, this is a pretty good list. I'd bump up Killing Them Softly and DKR. And I'd drop Savages to They Sucked.

Killer Joe and Cabin in the Woods were really good.

I'd also agree that Looper was the best of all.

texasdave
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Just finished watching Looper and it is definitely worth a look.

BuckeyeRed27
01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I watched a really cool doc last night called "Searching for Sugarman" about a singer songwriter from the 60s and 70s named Rodriguez. I don't want to give away the story, but it was really really good.