PDA

View Full Version : Homer Bailey at 225

RedsfaninMT
02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
according to John Fay's tweet.

Let's hope that's a solid 225 and that it helps him get through the year healthy. If so,it's huge.

jhu1321
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
You've got to believe that helps his chances to stay healthy. Now if he can eliminate that one mistake pitch that got clobbered every game.......

RedsfaninMT
02-20-2012, 01:16 PM
You've got to believe that helps his chances to stay healthy. Now if he can eliminate that one mistake pitch that got clobbered every game.......

Yep, that was maddening. But to me that was a mental lapse. Hopefully having more strength will help him to have more confidence and concentration (how, I don't know) and not give up the gopher ball so much.

KYRedLeg
02-20-2012, 01:55 PM

It isn't eliminating that one mistake pitch (though that would help to cut the problem off at its source), it's eliminating the mental breakdown that occurred after that pitch. Each game Homer pitched in, you could pinpoint one play that marked his decline. Could have been a bad pitch, could have been a bobble by the fielder. Each time, it was obvious he couldn't get past what had just happened.

brad1176
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
It isn't eliminating that one mistake pitch (though that would help to cut the problem off at its source), it's eliminating the mental breakdown that occurred after that pitch. Each game Homer pitched in, you could pinpoint one play that marked his decline. Could have been a bad pitch, could have been a bobble by the fielder. Each time, it was obvious he couldn't get past what had just happened.

I agree completely. Homer has matured each year, I remember him looking like a scared kid on the mound for the first couple of years. Last year he looked more comfortable on the mound, but when anything went wrong he imploded.

Kevin1476
02-20-2012, 03:21 PM
I think with his maturity and now hopefully the good weight gain ( muscle ) It can only help him in the long run, now if he can stay ahead in the count and avoid the walks he could win some games for us. I thought Pujols said something along the lines that Bailey had unbelievable stuff and was going to be a great one once he puts it all together.

The Rage
02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Bailey was a better pitcher than thrower last year. Pretty much tells you about his problem and on that point, it is fixable. I suspect the mechanical issues derived from that, also explain the arm injuries(as his poor spring training preps from the last 2 years, which is partial the Reds fault).

New York Red
02-21-2012, 07:22 PM
With Bailey's frame, he should be able to carry 225 with no problem. I see this as nothing but a positive for him, as long as he's been working out regularly during the off-season.

Helms1
02-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm more worried about his rotator cuff and labrum. I don't think weight helps that unless it is due to a very dedicated "best shape of my life" routine including a lot of beneficial work on his shoulder. How is his velocity? Any pain?

RedsfaninMT
02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm more worried about his rotator cuff and labrum. I don't think weight helps that unless it is due to a very dedicated "best shape of my life" routine including a lot of beneficial work on his shoulder. How is his velocity? Any pain?

I've heard/read nothing, but did see Fay said he had a runner's physique. And the pictures of Jay Bruce makes him look pretty darned trim. Hopefully, they are both productive and healthy.

herbdizzle
02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
From the reports I heard about Bailey he was going through an off season workout regimen strictly to improve shoulder and elbow stability and strength. The extra muscle weight should help his durability some as well as the reduced winter ball throwing. I'm looking for Homer to have a healthy and productive year which could be what puts the Reds over the top.

justincredible
02-22-2012, 09:37 PM
He definitely looks bigger in person.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5031/baileyg.jpg

code
02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
What really could help him is taking that gay arrow tattoo off his arm.