PDA

View Full Version : What's your 2012 Opening Day lineup?

WildcatFan
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Apologies if this has been brought up in another thread, but now that the roster is pretty much set, I'd love to see what everyone's lineups. For fun, we can do what you want to see and then what you think you'll see. Here's mine:

What I want:

Phillips 2B
Hanigan C
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Rolen 3B
Stubbs CF
Heisey LF
Cozart SS
P

What I think:

Phillips 2B
Cozart SS
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Bruce RF
Ludwick LF
Stubbs CF
Hanigan C
P

Nathan
02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Stubbs
Phillips
Votto
Bruce
Heisey
Rolen
Cozart
Mes/Hanigan
(Cueto)

brad1176
02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
1. Phillips
2. Cozart
3. Votto
4. Rolen
5. Bruce
6. Stubbs
7. Heisey
8. Hanigan
9. Cueto

will5979
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Just because BP is fast DOES NOT MEAN HE NEEDS TO LEADOFF!!!

I don't like the idea of BP leading off this year OR hitting cleanup, he is a clear cut #2 hitter like Barry Larkin, the 2 hole is where he belongs, he drives in too many runs to be leading off.

Stubbs-8
BP-4
Votto-3
Rolen-5-I'll taken the veteran HOF at cleanup in a high pressure game thank you
Bruce-9
Heisey-7
Cozart-6
Hannigan-2
Cueto-1

swaisuc
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM

I don't like the idea of BP leading off this year OR hitting cleanup, he is a clear cut #2 hitter like Barry Larkin, the 2 hole is where he belongs, he drives in too many runs to be leading off.

Stubbs-8
BP-4
Votto-3
Bruce-9
Heisey-7
Cozart-6
Hannigan-2
Cueto-1

I get what you're saying about BP, but then you go and put Stubbs 1st? The only thing Stubbs has that resembles a leadoff hitter is his speed. His game belongs lower in the lineup unless he drastically improves his OBP.

For lack of better options, I'll stick w/ BP 1st.

Phillips
Heisey
Votto
Rolen (Lack of options here too)
Bruce
Stubbs
Cozart
Hannigan
Cueto

texasdave
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Apologies if this has been brought up in another thread, but now that the roster is pretty much set, I'd love to see what everyone's lineups. For fun, we can do what you want to see and then what you think you'll see. Here's mine:

What I want:

Phillips 2B
Hanigan C
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Rolen 3B
Stubbs CF
Heisey LF
Cozart SS
P

What I think:

Phillips 2B
Cozart SS
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Bruce RF
Ludwick LF
Stubbs CF
Hanigan C
P

I agree right down the line with both of these lineups.

WildcatFan
02-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm curious, why are so many people (OK, three people) splitting up Votto and Bruce? If it's lefty/righty reasons, remember that last year Bruce hit lefties almost exactly as well as righties (.804/.819), and Votto hit lefties significantly BETTER than righties (.987/.930).

As for leadoff, even Dusty understands that Stubbs's speed doesn't matter when he's struggling so much to get on base. I was tempted to put Hanigan there and bat Phillips second in my hopeful lineup, since that's what he does best.

So I put high-OBP guys in my first two slots, power guys in my next two, then rounded out the next four based on who I thought were the best hitters. Lefty/righty doesn't matter with this team.

drowg14
02-23-2012, 03:30 PM
I get what you're saying about BP, but then you go and put Stubbs 1st? The only thing Stubbs has that resembles a leadoff hitter is his speed. His game belongs lower in the lineup unless he drastically improves his OBP.

For lack of better options, I'll stick w/ BP 1st.

Phillips
Heisey
Votto
Rolen (Lack of options here too)
Bruce
Stubbs
Cozart
Hannigan
Cueto

Putting Heisey in the two hole is worse imo than having Stubbs at leadoff. Heisey's OBP last year was 309 vs stubbs' 321. K rates were 25.3/30.1.

I'll agree with the OP's lineups.

swaisuc
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Putting Heisey in the two hole is worse imo than having Stubbs at leadoff. Heisey's OBP last year was 309 vs stubbs' 321. K rates were 25.3/30.1.

I'll agree with the OP's lineups.

Fair point. I happen to think Heisey's will drastically improve this year, but thats simply opinion.

I don't like moving Hannigan at all because I think he achieves a lot of his OBP by understanding when people are pitching around him (especially when pitcher is on deck) and that skill is useless in front of Votto.

Its a tough lineup to make with the pretty random combo of players we have.

brad1176
02-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Stubbs-8
BP-4
Votto-3
Bruce-9
Heisey-7
Cozart-6
Hannigan-2
Cueto-1

BP will lead off because he is the best option that the Reds have for lead off, he hit for around a .350 average last year in that spot. His ability to produce at that spot versus say Stubbs who doesn't produce at lead off is why he will probably get the nod.

drowg14
02-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Fair point. I happen to think Heisey's will drastically improve this year, but thats simply opinion.

I don't like moving Hannigan at all because I think he achieves a lot of his OBP by understanding when people are pitching around him (especially when pitcher is on deck) and that skill is useless in front of Votto.

Its a tough lineup to make with the pretty random combo of players we have.

I definitely agree with that last part. We do have a random combo of players. No true 1 or 4 guy right now. I also think Heisey will improve, although how much he will improve remains to be seen. I think Stubbs has just as much of a chance, if not more so, to improve. They are the same age, and Stubbs shows more tools than does Heisey.

texasdave
02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I guess that answers that.

It sounds like Zack Cozart may be hitting second in the order. Brandon Phillips is going to lead off.Dusty Baker didn’t come out and say who will hit second. But when asked about Cozart, he said:“Wasn’t he hitting second last year?” Baker said.

[deleted]
02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Agree 100% with the lineup OP posted. We have a big lack of a #2 hitter, and Hanigan's OBP skills need to be utilized.

Also, huge lol @ the guy who complained about Philips being slotted 1st because of speed and then used Stubbs in his example. Sometimes I wondering people even watch baseball.

RedsfaninMT
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Mesoraco
Heisey
Stubbs
Cueto

Stray
02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Heisey
Mesoraco
Stubbs
Cueto

I like Cozart in the 2 hole because it will give him a lot of pitches to hit. I don't like Bruce behind Votto, but we don't really have anyone that I love in that spot.

texasdave
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Heisey
Mesoraco
Stubbs
Cueto

I like Cozart in the 2 hole because it will give him a lot of pitches to hit. I don't like Bruce behind Votto, but we don't really have anyone that I love in that spot.

Would Hanigan in the 2 hole get those same pitches to hit? Isn't anyone hitting in front of Votto going to benefit?

Stray
02-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Would Hanigan in the 2 hole get those same pitches to hit? Isn't anyone hitting in front of Votto going to benefit?

I wouldn't really be all that opposed to Hani in the 2 hole, but I do think Cozart would benefit from those pitches more. I like Hanigan's ability to work counts, and more than anything else, I remember him being the guy that drove in a lot of those 2 out runs that Bruce seemingly always left on base.

With Mesoraco looking at a lot of playing time I think it would make more sense to start out with a more stable top of the lineup, if it doesn't work then obviously we would need to look at a change.

Tadasimha
02-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Phillips
Cozart
Bruce
Votto
Hanigan
Stubbs
Rolen
Heisey
Cueto

I'm flipping Bruce and Votto to get Bruce the benefit of pitches in front of Votto, while I think having Hanigan at 5 means Votto should still see good pitches given Hanigans OBP.

Fireball
02-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Here's what I think it should look like:

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Heisey
Stubbs
Mesoraco

I toyed with putting Mesoraco higher, but I don't want the kid to stress about hitting. As much as I think he can be a really good offensive talent, his main focus this year should be on learning our pitchers, catching in the big leagues, etc. I think he'll hit, but I don't want him to worry about it.

Cozart hit well in the 2-hole in front of Votto last year, and I think that is the best place to put him.

I could also see doing this:

Phillips
Bruce
Votto
Rolen
Heisey
Stubbs
Cozart
Mesoraco

I also really like the idea of Bruce in the 2-hole if he struggles in the 4-hole. He has also hit there well before, and if the first lineup doesn't do the job, I think that this one just might.

alett12
02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
1.Phillips 2B
2.Cozart SS
3.Votto 1B
4.Bruce RF
5.Heisey LF
6.Stubbs CF
7.Rolen 3B
8.Mesoraco C
9.Cueto

Who Dey Time
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
If we are talking specifically about Opening Day against the Marlins then I think you are going to see Hanigan and Ludwick in the lineup over Heisey and Mesoraco. With OD being the "event" that it is here in Cincinnati, you figure Dusty will put the veterans in there where he can.

Therefore, I'll go.....

Phillips 2B
Cozart SS
Votto 1B
Ludwick LF
Bruce RF
Rolen 3B
Stubbs CF
Hanigan C
Cueto P

LeDoux
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I will be really suprised if Cozart bats at or above .320/.420/.740 for the season. I am not sure why so many want him in the two hole.

For the record, I would love to be surprised by a .800+ OPS season from Zach- I just don't see it happening.

texasdave
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I will be really suprised if Cozart bats at or above .320/.420/.740 for the season. I am not sure why so many want him in the two hole.

For the record, I would love to be surprised by a .800+ OPS season from Zach- I just don't see it happening.

Cozart plays shortstop. Shortstops bat second. How many times do we have to go over this? We are never going to get into Advanced Bakermetrics if we have to keep going back to review all the time.

LeDoux
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Cozart plays shortstop. Shortstops bat second. How many times do we have to go over this? We are never going to get into Advanced Bakermetrics if we have to keep going back to review all the time.

I am so angry at myself I could cry like a Ryan Braun. I keep falling into the same trap of looking at past performance(s). I need to learn to have faith in Dusty's lineup rules. If you build it (Dusty style) they (runs) will come.

Birdman007
02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I think Mes is going to play more this year than Hanigan will but Dusty will decide to have him watch on OD so..

Phillips 2B
Cozart SS
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Rolen 3B
Ludwick LF
Stubbs CF
Hanigan C
Cueto P

Jamz
02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Brandon Phillips
Zack Cozart
Joey Votto
Jay Bruce
Scott Rolen
Drew Stubbs
Chris Heisey
Devin Mesoraco
Johnny Cueto

izzy's dad
02-29-2012, 09:39 PM

What ever happend to the Bakermetric thread? That is one of my favorites. I think we need a refresher course.

izzy's dad
02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Phillips
Heisey
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Cozart
Mes/Hannigan
Cueto
Stubbs

Not a joke. Using my inner Larussa here and going with a bit of an unorthodox lineup. Maybe later I will really tap into my inner Larussa, get sauced, and crash my car into a pole.

OGB
03-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Heisey
Mesoraco
Stubbs
Cueto

Totally agree with this sentiment. I think it's worthwhile having someone bat in front of Votto who will benefit most from having better pitches to hit, and that isn't a veteran like BP or Hanigan.

Captain13
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
If I could make out the card,

Phillips
Bruce
Votto
Rolen
Hanigan
Stubbs
Cozart
Cueto

That is Opening Day. After that I really like a Rolen/Francisco platoon at 3B and a Hanigan/Mes platoon behind the plate.

BPhil4
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Phillips
Cozart
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Ludwick
Stubbs
Meseraco

I used to think Phillips was best suited for the 2 spot. But he grounds into way too many double plays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD