PDA

View Full Version : Chris Carpenter's status uncertain

Magdal
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
It seems that he has a problem and will miss his scheduled start today....the link below is vague on exactly what his problem is.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/carpenter-leaves-camp-for-re-evaluation/article_210466f8-69f2-11e1-b3cc-0019bb30f31a.html

texasdave
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM
It seems that he has a problem and will miss his scheduled start today....the link below is vague on exactly what his problem is.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/carpenter-leaves-camp-for-re-evaluation/article_210466f8-69f2-11e1-b3cc-0019bb30f31a.html

In the 'what-goes-around-comes-around-comes around' Department, baseball's biggest pain in the neck is missing a start because of a pain in the neck. :)

Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter left camp Friday morning to seek a second opinion regarding persistent neck discomfort.

Magdal
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
In the 'what-goes-around-comes-around' Department, baseball's biggest pain in the neck is missing a start because of a pain in the neck. :)

It sounds to me that it is more than just a pain in the neck. It may be a case of Father Time catching up with the old crybaby. I know he had some awsome starts late last year, but he was not effective AT ALL for most of last season.

RedsFan74
03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
OK, here's the obligatory...How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?? I'm surprised no one beat me to the "punch".

texasdave
03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
OK, here's the obligatory...How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?? I'm surprised no one beat me to the "punch".

I was just about to post that. It seems you beat me by a neck. :laugh:

Magdal
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
On a side note, Wainwright took his turn today, his 1st outing since the Tommy John. He was pretty sharp. No hits, 1 bb and 2K in his 3 innings.

Magdal
03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
The buzz around St. Louis is that the Cardinals are downplaying the severity of his malady, and that he is FAR from ready to pitch. (wouldn't want to slow down those season ticket sales, you know)

Personally, I think he's shot. He IS old and they worked him pretty hard last year. He rose to the occasion in October but that may have been his swan song.

Makes things yet a little more interesting in the Central, eh?

texasdave
03-10-2012, 12:36 AM
I read that, including the postseason, Carpenter threw 273+ innings. That is a ton for an old man.

10xWSChamps
03-10-2012, 12:58 AM
The buzz around St. Louis is that the Cardinals are downplaying the severity of his malady, and that he is FAR from ready to pitch. (wouldn't want to slow down those season ticket sales, you know)

Personally, I think he's shot. He IS old and they worked him pretty hard last year. He rose to the occasion in October but that may have been his swan song.

Makes things yet a little more interesting in the Central, eh?

Carpenter himself says he is fine and will be making his next start. I would be worried if it had something to do with his shoulder or elbow, as far as missed time.

Bernie Mikalasz was kind of worried about him, just because of his past. But I didn't hear any other "buzz" besides that.

Carpenter is kind of an enigma, he's either a total horse who pitches in the top 5 of the MLB in total innings, or he missed the entire year. It's either one or the other.

Personally I think he will be fine, a sore neck doesn't seem like a big deal. With any player they are going to be ultra conservative at this time of the year, makes no sense to do anything other then just let him rest until it goes away.

In the 'what-goes-around-comes-around' Department, baseball's biggest pain in the neck is missing a start because of a pain in the neck.
It sounds to me that it is more than just a pain in the neck. It may be a case of Father Time catching up with the old crybaby. I know he had some awsome starts late last year, but he was not effective AT ALL for most of last season.

Carpenter had a mildly rough part in the early part of the season, but he was a stud last year overall. 3.45ERA for the entire season. The three months, including playoffs, he was possibly the most important player of the entire team (except for David Freese in the World Series)

So two question I guess. How was he "not effective AT ALL" for most of the season? What "buzz" have you heard?

Methinks you're kind of making some stuff up here.

Magdal
03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Carpenter himself says he is fine and will be making his next start. I would be worried if it had something to do with his shoulder or elbow, as far as missed time.

Bernie Mikalasz was kind of worried about him, just because of his past. But I didn't hear any other "buzz" besides that.

Carpenter is kind of an enigma, he's either a total horse who pitches in the top 5 of the MLB in total innings, or he missed the entire year. It's either one or the other.

Personally I think he will be fine, a sore neck doesn't seem like a big deal. With any player they are going to be ultra conservative at this time of the year, makes no sense to do anything other then just let him rest until it goes away.

Carpenter had a mildly rough part in the early part of the season, but he was a stud last year overall. 3.45ERA for the entire season. The three months, including playoffs, he was possibly the most important player of the entire team (except for David Freese in the World Series)

So two question I guess. How was he "not effective AT ALL" for most of the season? What "buzz" have you heard?

Methinks you're kind of making some stuff up here.You DO remember that he lost his 1st 7 starts don't you? That's very un-Carplike. I know he had little run support, but his ERA was over 4.00 for most of the year.

The "buzz" is just that: unofficial murmerings of doom and gloom. May be nothing to it at all, but the guy IS old and coming off of grueling season. I don't really see his inevitable decline as that big a deal, really. If he has to sit the Cards will come up with some Westbrook type bum that can pitch .500 ball...just about what Carp did last year.

Tadasimha
03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I read that, including the postseason, Carpenter threw 273+ innings. That is a ton for an old man.

The last time he pitched back to back season of 200+ innings (05 and 06), he needed surgery in 07 and only made three starts in 08.

He pitched 235 innings in 2010, 256 (including post-season) in 2011.

Magdal
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
The last time he pitched back to back season of 200+ innings (05 and 06), he needed surgery in 07 and only made three starts in 08.

He pitched 235 innings in 2010, 256 (including post-season) in 2011.VERY interesting

brad1176
03-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Apparently Carpenter has a bulging disk in his neck per MLBTR. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/nl-central-links-concepcion-cardinals-soler.html

Magdal
03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Cards announced that Lance Lynn will join the rotation. He had some time last year, was fairly effective. They are down playing the disc problem, but time will tell. Seems to me that a slipped disc requires REST, and a lot of it for a professional athlete. I'm sure they want to avoid surgery if at all possible.

Big Red Hoss
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Can't say I would beupset if this ended his career. Only thing that would make it all better is if he took his catcher out with him.

Magdal
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Can't say I would beupset if this ended his career. Only thing that would make it all better is if he took his catcher out with him.

:eek:

brad1176
03-12-2012, 09:09 PM

That's a bit harsh, I'm in NO way a Carpenter fan, but you never want to wish injury on anyone.

Red Raindog
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
That's a bit harsh, I'm in NO way a Carpenter fan, but you never want to wish injury on anyone.

+1!

Krawhitham
03-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Carpenter himself says he is fine and will be making his next start.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120312&content_id=27210862&notebook_id=27210626&vkey=notebook_stl&c_id=stl

Carpenter not putting time frame on return

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120312&content_id=27210862&notebook_id=27210626&vkey=notebook_stl&c_id=stl

Jim
03-13-2012, 12:56 AM

I'd rather beat him at his own game, not wish him injury. If the only way the Reds can beat him is for him to miss a season to injury, that's sad. I don't like Carp or Molina at all, but I'd rather see the Reds beat the snot out of the Cards with both of them in the lineup. :thumbup:

Big Red Hoss
03-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Im not saying I wish he was dead or handicap. I guess Im just wishing he was just gone. Beating them is great. Its the having to watch them to beat them that sucks.

Helms1
03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
You'd be surprised how many of you would have bulging discs on an MRI scan. That does not mean the bulge is responsible for symptoms. I suppose he has some form of neck pain syndrome with a component of nerve impingement. You see a whole lot of that with abnormal discs on scan and just as many with virtually normal scans. Is the disc the chicken or just the egg you happened to find with the scan?

bigredmechanism
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM

I disagree. I can't stand Carp the baseball player, but I'd bet that if he played for the Reds over the last few seasons, he would be a Cincy favorite.

All that said, I hope his neck is feeling good, because I don't want to hear any excuses when he gets whooped.

Magdal
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I read on another forum that he may miss his opening day start...(Carp's words)

Magdal
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
We can kiss Carp goodbye. He threw a bullpen session the other day and felt OK, but now he has pain in his neck AND ARM. They sent him home to St. Louis. His ST is done.

Like every other, the Cards org. wants to rush players back too soon. You don't fool around with spinal injuries. He should have been rested for 3 months with therapy to see if surgery could be avoided. Now it looks like it's eminent.

The Cards will scamper to get a veteran arm now, and pick up some bum like Oswalt.

Red Raindog
03-21-2012, 12:09 PM
We can kiss Carp goodbye. He threw a bullpen session the other day and felt OK, but now he has pain in his neck AND ARM. They sent him home to St. Louis. His ST is done.

Like every other, the Cards org. wants to rush players back too soon. You don't fool around with spinal injuries. He should have been rested for 3 months with therapy to see if surgery could be avoided. Now it looks like it's eminent.

The Cards will scamper to get a veteran arm now, and pick up some bum like Oswalt.

If the above happens - they'll likely be calling Oswalt quickly to give him what he wants ---

brad1176
03-21-2012, 12:38 PM

I just read the story on ESPN, it doesn't sound good at all for Carpenter. If it's the same type of nerve injury he had in 08, his career might be finished.

texasdave
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
It appears that Chris Carpenter broke his toe during the off-season. I wonder if that started any sort of chain of events.

jhu1321
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Carpenter is one of the whiniest dudes I've ever seen on a baseball field. While I wish him no permanent, off field harm, I will be ecstatic if he can't pitch anymore.

bmwreds31
03-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Hope they dont get oswalt.:( :( :(

Jamz
03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Apparently the only comparables that have been of a similar age and similar injury have never been the same afterwards. This is likely it for Carps, or a severe decline in performance awaits.

Magdal
03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Apparently the only comparables that have been of a similar age and similar injury have never been the same afterwards. This is likely it for Carps, or a severe decline in performance awaits.This is true. He had a decent career. Had 1 Cy Young and 1 20 win season. It's not like the guy was Steve Carlton or something.

The Cards won't miss a beat.

Krawhitham
03-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Apparently the only comparables that have been of a similar age and similar injury have never been the same afterwards. This is likely it for Carps, or a severe decline in performance awaits.

This is true. It could not happen to a nicer guy

NCCardfan
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM

CC is probably out until the ASB if not longer (like forever). Lance Lynn will be serviceable as a #5 for this year. It's possible that the Cards may call Oswalt but it wouldn't shock me if they don't pound the bushes for a reliever to put in the 'pen & leave Lynn in the rotation. JMHO

RedsfaninMT
03-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Why all the pessimism about Carpenter for Cards fans? I expect him to pitch after a month or so, or was there some news about a prognosis which I missed out on?

Magdal
03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Why all the pessimism about Carpenter for Cards fans? I expect him to pitch after a month or so, or was there some news about a prognosis which I missed out on?It's not pessimism, it's realism. This type of ailment at this point in his career spell the end. That's all. It's not like he was a stud horse. He spent a ton of time on the DL when he was YOUNG. Now he's old.

The Cards got the best of him in the post season last year. But all those innings exacted a price. He had the whole post season to recover but didn't. To return to top form he will need surgery, and who knows HOW that will end up.

RedsfaninMT
03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I have heard/read nothing about pending surgery, can you please provide a link? It just seems over-reactionary to me. What I heard yesterday was that he should be back in a few weeks. Where are you getting news otherwise?

texasdave
03-22-2012, 03:46 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120322&content_id=27510718&notebook_id=27503332&vkey=notebook_stl&c_id=stl

Tests, tests and more tests.

His condition has been compared to the nerve-related issues that prematurely ended his seasons in 2004 and '08 and also bothered him in 2010.

Magdal
03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I have heard/read nothing about pending surgery, can you please provide a link? It just seems over-reactionary to me. What I heard yesterday was that he should be back in a few weeks. Where are you getting news otherwise?No link needed. I repeat he had the whole off season to heal. If he was gonna heal he would have. So rest is not the answer. He can take 3 more months off, come back in July and the disc will still be messed up.

He does NOT, however need surgery if he stops pitching. Having the operation will knock him out another year or more. Either way Carp is done as an effective NL athlete.

Magdal
03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
I have heard/read nothing about pending surgery, can you please provide a link? It just seems over-reactionary to me. What I heard yesterday was that he should be back in a few weeks. Where are you getting news otherwise?No link needed. I repeat he had the whole off season to heal. If he was gonna heal he would have. So rest is not the answer. He can take 3 more months off, come back in July and the disc will still be messed up.

He does NOT, however need surgery if he stops pitching. Having the operation will knock him out another year or more. Either way Carp is done as an effective NL athlete.

Reds fans are going to have to find a new Cardinal to hate;)

texasdave
03-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Roy Oswalt doesn’t expect to pitch in the Major Leagues before June, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets. The Cardinals have uncertainty atop their rotation and other openings could emerge around the league, but the free agent right-hander seems content to wait for now.

R_Webb18
03-23-2012, 04:56 PM
MLB ‏ @MLB
Chris Carpenter diagnosed with nerve irritation that has led to weakness in right shoulder; will return to @Cardinals camp Monday.