PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy .... Boring !!!

SBixler
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Can the guy be any more boring !!! ... Scheeze ... The guy will put you to sleep before the first inning is over. If you want to keep the interest of Red's Fans then get decent radio announcers. I have interest in the Red's broadcast when Marty is announcing but Brantley is just terrible. The Red's fans deserve better than a flat out boring broadcast day in .. day out !!

tedies
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I like Cowboy... everyone is boring at times in baseball :laugh:

New York Red
03-13-2012, 12:04 AM
I love The Cowboy! Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm just glad it's that time of year again.

Krawhitham
03-13-2012, 12:21 AM
I can not stand The Cowboy

beyond horrible

Jr's Boy
03-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Love the Cowboy's Southern Drawl.

OGB
03-13-2012, 05:33 AM
I don't like Brantley and his forced folksiness, Southern drawl, insistence on use of the nickname Cowboy, and his repeatedly bringing up, "hurr hurr, I love food. I sure can eat. French fried taters, ice cream, frawd chicken, mmmboy."

Big Red Hoss
03-13-2012, 08:00 AM
The food thing is a little bit over rated. I would preffer the dead air silence from Nuxy vs the filler cowboy throws out there. He does call a good game when hes talking about baseball. Also I think its a nice fit with Marty. They are really totally opposite. He is better with marty then Jim K or Thom B. Those three just agree and say the exact same thing in diffrent words.

Big Red Hoss
03-13-2012, 08:00 AM
The food thing is a little bit over rated. I would preffer the dead air silence from Nuxy vs the filler cowboy throws out there. He does call a good game when hes talking about baseball. Also I think its a nice fit with Marty. They are really totally opposite. He is better with marty then Jim K or Thom B. Those three just agree and say the exact same thing in diffrent words.

bigredmechanism
03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I kind of enjoy listening to Brantley. His charm goes well with Marty's cynicism.

will5979
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Brantley's ok.

Jim K. is a tool, and Thom is a younger Marty, and that is ok cause I like Marty. Jim K. is replaceable big time.

tedies
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow I can't believe all the Cowboy hate... Have any of you listened to other team's broadcasters? I'll take cowboy over most of those boring, cookie-cutter slobs

CRedsLarkin11
03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
I actually enjoy Brantley. Marty and the Cowboy make for some funny moments but I find Marty to be entertaining with anyone (or by himself, for that matter, guess that's why he's a hall of famer) I think the Reds are pretty fortunate, they have a pretty good group of broadcasters.

Jr's Boy
03-22-2012, 02:32 PM
I was hoping Kelch would start the season at AAA.

topsyt
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
We probably were spoiled by having Nuxy. No one can replace the ole lefthander. That being said,I find the Cowboy to be a Hoot and believe he and Marty are great together. I find Kelch to be more than adequate.

Captain13
03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
We probably were spoiled by having Nuxy. No one can replace the ole lefthander. That being said,I find the Cowboy to be a Hoot and believe he and Marty are great together. I find Kelch to be more than adequate.

I live in Louisville and listened to Kelch for a couple of years doing Bats games. Tim has improved every year he has done this, and I believe he is very good now with the possibility of being one of the best in the business by the time he is done.

goreds2
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow I can't believe all the Cowboy hate... Have any of you listened to other team's broadcasters? I'll take cowboy over most of those boring, cookie-cutter slobs Totally agree, listening to other teams broadcasts on XM, we are very lucky to have who we have.

dubc47834
03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Im not a big Cowboy fan. I get tired of him acting like a know it all. The guy acts like he was the greatest reliever ever. I lost respect for him when he and Griffey Jr had their lil spat. He is better than most teams guys tho.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 01:59 PM
I only hear the radio end of things and I think they do a good job. On Gameday I listened to bits and pieces of other broadcasts and the Reds announcers stack up well, IMO. Marty drops too many names for my liking and he and Cowboy can get off on tangents. But those are pretty minor objections.

Ohayou
03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
I like all the Reds announcers just fine, but Thom and the hyperbole ad nauseam can get old fast.

RedsfaninMT
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Love Brantley, though the food ramblings can get annoying. What he does the best, IMHO, is calling what the pitch was "cutter, outside corner." I've listened to lots of broadcasts, but don't recall anyone else who gives those details. I also like his analysis of why he thinks a pitcher is struggling, especially when he breaks down flaws in mechanics that he sees.

As others have said, listen to other broadcasts on satellite radio and you'll appreciate Brantley a lot more.

Also, having followed Marty since he started as a Reds broadcaster, I do think Joe kept Marty more mellow. Sometimes it seems like Marty has too harsh an edge to me.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Another voice in the booth. This one will make nuxfan happy.

Doug Flynn, the Big Reds Machine infielder, will do some radio games this coming week. Flynn will arrive in camp Monday.The Reds haven’t officially announced it and I haven’t heard if Flynn will be part of the regular season crew. What I have heard is the Reds would like a former player in the booth at all times.

redsfanmia
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Maybe it's just me but I sure miss the good ole days of a non-bitter Marty and Joe and those two only. This rotating announcing thing needs to go bye-bye.

redsfanmia
03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Love Brantley, though the food ramblings can get annoying. What he does the best, IMHO, is calling what the pitch was "cutter, outside corner." I've listened to lots of broadcasts, but don't recall anyone else who gives those details. I also like his analysis of why he thinks a pitcher is struggling, especially when he breaks down flaws in mechanics that he sees.

As others have said, listen to other broadcasts on satellite radio and you'll appreciate Brantley a lot more.

Also, having followed Marty since he started as a Reds broadcaster, I do think Joe kept Marty more mellow. Sometimes it seems like Marty has too harsh an edge to me.

Joe kept Marty in check, Cowboy feeds into his negativity but when it's the Brenneman boy's I turn the radio off, it is brutal with Thom trying to top Dad in the outrageous statement game.

AintlifeGrande
03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I lost every bit of respect I had for Thom after the Philips error versus the Phillies,when he got picked off cause of chatting with Jimmy Rollins at second.Thom harped on that play for the rest of the night.I was hoping someone would call the booth and tell him to knock it off,as it was really irritating to hear him over and over.Thats just bad announcing to constantly harp on a play or player.
Marty gave Adam Dunn alot of crap,but would not harp and harp on a single mistake.Make your point and move on,dont dwell on the bad stuff.

joshua
03-24-2012, 01:01 AM
If you have MLB At Bat, go ahead and listen to other teams broadcasts...they suck. At the very least the Cowboy seems like a genuine dude and is quite the character...I'd take that any day over the boring ass color guys around the rest of the league. I used to think Marty was mediocre and the Cowboy was lame...until I heard everyone else. Now I definitely don't take that team for granted.

jwmann2
03-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I would say Marty and Chris Welsh are my favorite combo. George Grande and Piecoro aren't bad either. I can understand why people wouldn't like Cowboy. He's not for everyone.

DirtyBaker
03-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Brantley's ok.

Jim K. is a tool, and Thom is a younger Marty, and that is ok cause I like Marty. Jim K. is replaceable big time.

I'm in this camp. Brantley's so-so as a play-by-play guy, but in a back and forth with Marty or Thom he's always having a good time and is entertaining. He's not Nuxhall, but who is?

Kelch is much too dry and a total buzzkill. The way he says Cue-TOE really irks me, but he is knowledgeable.

I'm hoping Fox keeps Thom and Welsch together for a long time as this is a really great combo too. I could never get over Grande's gleeful ignorance throughout such a pathetic era of Reds baseball. Seems the Brennamen's match the frustrations the die-hards feel.