PDA

View Full Version : What do you Miss the Most about Riverfront/Cinergy?

jwmann2
03-14-2012, 07:36 PM
I only saw one game as a kid at Cinergy, Ron Gant hit a grand slam and Barry Larkin hit a home run. What do you miss the most about watching the reds at the old ballpark? Was it an old spot you would park at? An old restaurant near the park that is no longer there? A certain favorite player that sticks out in your mind?

redsfanmia
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
The consistent winning.

DGullett35
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I used to watch opening day every year at the old ballpark when my cousin was pitching coach. I remember the elevator behind homeplate that took the players familys down to the parking garage. I also remember in'97 I think..We played the Giants and i remember Bonds hitting either 2 or 3 homers that series. Seemed like one every game Also I remember Juniors first game as a Red. Man that ovation he got was amazing. Also remember Marge's dogs crapping all over the astro turf. haha. I have alot of memories from Riverfront/Cinergy

TuneSquad
03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
As a little kid going to a bunch of games, I always love the different levels of seating being different colors. I remember a game that I went to for my birthday with some friends where Griffey and McGwire both hit bombs into the Red seats (upper deck) and I think Griffey hit another one for a walk-off that game. We all know if you got the ball there, it was a monster Blast. Im pretty sure McGwire's is the record distance there all-time.

will5979
03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
The consistent winning.

This times ten. Especially 3 World Championships in 15 years.

texasdave
03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Went to the first game ever at Riverfront (along with a half million other people). =)
After watching games at Crosley, I was simply in awe.

OGB
03-15-2012, 02:45 AM
The Kahn's Big Red Smokey's ad on the jumbotron.

OGB
03-15-2012, 03:39 AM

Z-Fly
03-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Went to the first game ever at Riverfront (along with a half million other people). =)

Why were you in awe? I know very little about Crosley, but I kind of always wished that they would have kept it around. I always love going to other cities to visit the old time stadiums. Was Crosley not worth keeping around?

lidspinner
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
I know what I dont miss......is going to a game in blue box seats and it being over a hundred degrees from the turf....I will never miss that.....I remember a friend of my dads from his college baseball days had season tix to reds and it was 1st row down the 1st baseline about halfway to RF.....we could get there and you could almost not sit there for more than 2 innings without going up to the walkway to get some wind....we would be drenched in sweat after every game....I cannot imagine the players playing on that stuff....I will never forget the heat coming off that turf in the summer.

one thing I will miss is the relaxing atmosphere of the seating staff....once the 5th inning was over, some of those old men would actually help us kids find a seat closer to the dugout or homeplate that has been empty all game.....I remember one old man named Gary who would come over to us about the 3rd or 4th inning and tell us where the empty seats were so we could go get closer to home plate.....he would do that to a bunch of people, it was almost as if it was his job to fill those seats up around the dugout to the plate area....nowadays you almost cant get an empty seat late in the game without someone throwing a fit and threatening to kick you out.......I see both sides of the argument but when its kids wanting the seats, let them have em....adults can suffer in the seats they paid for, but let their kids go get a up close view of the game, for some of the kids, thats the closest they will ever get to a big league player or diamond.....

Memories for sure in that old park, good or bad I will always cherish that place.

jhiller21
03-15-2012, 03:44 PM
The "WALKS WILL HAUNT" on the scoreboard, along with the spooky ghost every time a Reds pitcher led an inning off with a walk. That and the four-fingered hands clapping.

Big Red Hoss
03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
As far as watching a game goes nothing. I think GABP is a much better park to watch a game in. Mainly because its just baseball park.

dubc47834
03-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Eric Davis in the outfield!!!!

gedred69
03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Not much to miss from my point of view. Maybe the bullpens down the foul line which was the as close as you could hope to be to any action.

tedies
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
don't miss anything really, I love GABP... so much more open and inviting

Pete4prez
03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
The memories of the Big Red Machine is what I miss the most.

goreds2
03-18-2012, 08:18 PM
I loved the TOP 6 for 3 bucks seat. :) I miss the less expensive prices. We were the last MLB team with $1 hot dogs EVERY game.

I had a vendor who used to get me blue seats then my parking spot was not too far in the garage area. Cannot get those anymore.

The seats at Riverfront seemed more roomy than at the new park. No, I have not gained weight since then. :D

Going to my first game there in 1975 is something I will never forget.

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-18-2012, 10:54 PM
As a kid I always thought those rubbery things on the plaza level were fun to walk on...I also liked to hear Paul Summerkamp's voice on the PA as you got close to the stadium.

jhiller21
03-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Also, the smell of cigars and stale beer. That smell always takes me back to being a kid, wondering whether to ask what it was, or beg for one of those ice creams served in a little Reds helmet.

topsyt
03-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Living 2 hours away and not many games on the tube-cable was what held the bridges up-a trip to the Front was an event. The friendliness of everyone involved is what stands out. Outside vendors were a show in themselves as were the scalpers. The Ushers, as has been previously stated, would let you move closer to the action after the 5th inning. To me the overall feel of friendliness and common theme of Go Reds has been replaced with "give me your cash" at GABP.

Today, from the time I park the car till i get in a seat, I get double digit requests for my cash. And that, friends, gets old quickly.

topsyt
03-19-2012, 08:25 AM

jwmann2
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM

I would have traded my one game at Cinergy for a game at Crosley though. That's where it all began; Pete, Nuxhall, May.

redsfanmia
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM

You're a Hot dog!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMM I loved that.

redsfanmia
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
I know what I dont miss......is going to a game in blue box seats and it being over a hundred degrees from the turf....I will never miss that.....I remember a friend of my dads from his college baseball days had season tix to reds and it was 1st row down the 1st baseline about halfway to RF.....we could get there and you could almost not sit there for more than 2 innings without going up to the walkway to get some wind....we would be drenched in sweat after every game....I cannot imagine the players playing on that stuff....I will never forget the heat coming off that turf in the summer.

one thing I will miss is the relaxing atmosphere of the seating staff....once the 5th inning was over, some of those old men would actually help us kids find a seat closer to the dugout or homeplate that has been empty all game.....I remember one old man named Gary who would come over to us about the 3rd or 4th inning and tell us where the empty seats were so we could go get closer to home plate.....he would do that to a bunch of people, it was almost as if it was his job to fill those seats up around the dugout to the plate area....nowadays you almost cant get an empty seat late in the game without someone throwing a fit and threatening to kick you out.......I see both sides of the argument but when its kids wanting the seats, let them have em....adults can suffer in the seats they paid for, but let their kids go get a up close view of the game, for some of the kids, thats the closest they will ever get to a big league player or diamond.....

Memories for sure in that old park, good or bad I will always cherish that place.

The first game I ever went to it was like 95 degrees on a Sunday afternoon and my oldest sister (who took me, I was about 10) stood up for the national anthem and passed out from the heat. I got to watch about half the game in an air conditioned first aid station.

HalMorrisRules
03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Of things pertaining to the stadium itself and not being team related, as a kid I loved watching the vehicle that would come out and suck up the water from the astroturf and then it would spray it over the outfield fence to empty its tank. Dont ask me why but I loved that. Also as people earlier mentioned:

You're....a hot dog?
Y'er blind ump, that's a smoked sausage!
I call 'em as I see 'em and that's a hot dog!
Smoked sausage!
Hot...Gulp...MMMMMMMMMM
Y'er right!

RedsfaninMT
03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Sneaking into the blue seats before a game, acting like I was part of a large family (I would pick out a large group of 6 or so, and the Ushers would let us all through), so I could get an autograph or two prior to game time.

Course, more often than not that didn't work, but every once in awhile I would get in, and get Pete's or Joe's or George's or Doggies, Davey's, Cesar's, Ken's or JB's autograph. And then it was all worth it.

brad1176
03-21-2012, 09:52 AM
All I miss is the consistent winning during the era of the park. The park itself I didn't care for. Trying to watch a game there during the summer was brutal, even at night.

DirtyBaker
03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Seeing Pete Rose Jr get a hit in 97 against the Pirates.

Reverend Doo-Rag
03-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I miss getting Sheldon Burnside's autograph on one of those little cards they handed out.