PDA

View Full Version : Madson out for the year!

Falcon7
03-24-2012, 04:26 PM
GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP)—Cincinnati Reds closer Ryan Madson has a torn ligament in his pitching elbow and will miss the season.

nux fan
03-24-2012, 04:43 PM
bring back tom hume

Magdal
03-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Somewhere in Wisconsin people have been smiling this week.

BuckWild03
03-24-2012, 05:41 PM
This is a terrible punch to the gut. Can't help but think they will put Masset in the closing roll now. At least until mid-season then make a trade.

will5979
03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
So basically we payed this gimp 8.5 million to show up to Spring Training with a Reds uniform and get our hopes up for nothing.

Redlegs_87
03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
No need to call the dude a gimp. It isn't like he went in to spring training going my elbow is going to blow out anytime now and I'll get to under go surgery and take in 8.5 mil for nothing!

Stuff happens deal with it.

will5979
03-24-2012, 06:27 PM
No need to call the dude a gimp. It isn't like he went in to spring training going my elbow is going to blow out anytime now and I'll get to under go surgery and take in 8.5 mil for nothing!

Stuff happens deal with it.

I have no choice but to deal with it, but I don't like it, as a Reds fan I have dealt with it all my life.

Redlegs_87
03-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I have no choice but to deal with it, but I don't like it, as a Reds fan I have dealt with it all my life.

My bad for snapping at you. Seeing how much venom people had against Madson on twitter was really ticking me off.

At least it wasn't a starting pitcher. The only real bad thing other then him being hurt coming out of this is if they put Chapman back in the pen which would be such a waste.

will5979
03-24-2012, 07:07 PM
My bad for snapping at you. Seeing how much venom people had against Madson on twitter was really ticking me off.

At least it wasn't a starting pitcher. The only real bad thing other then him being hurt coming out of this is if they put Chapman back in the pen which would be such a waste.

Don't feel bad, I was scapegoating him, because I really do question the toughness of today's players.

Ohayou
03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
After seeing Chapman start Friday, there's no reason why he should still be pitching from the pen.

DirtyBaker
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
After seeing Chapman start Friday, there's no reason why he should still be pitching from the pen.

+1. Stopping his progress toward being a starter once again would only add insult to injury. If someone has to be converted to a reliever, fine, as long as his last name isn't Chapman. I am comfortable with Masset as a closer if it comes to that.

NCCardfan
03-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Dang that is real bad to hear. I may be a Cards fan but losing a potential key player is a tough blow and nothing I want to see.

I'm down here in NASCAR country and know that in any sport, you want to beat the other team with both teams at full strength, not because one team lost what was planned as a key piece of their team.

I saw an earlier post about the negative posts on twitter by the average jerk people and some of you probably lurk at CardsTalk. To be honest, I used to belong to the cesspool of CT but found a less active but more sensible site with Cards fans, here's the thread that informed me about Madson:

http://s7.zetaboards.com/stlouislegends/topic/8666153/1/

I have been a member here for 8 months +/- and just wanted y'all to know that I think this site is real civil for the most part and I appreciate it.

FYI: It'll take A LOT more than being civil to convert me:beerme::beerme::beerme:.

Mutaman
03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=DirtyBaker;2548881 I am comfortable with Masset as a closer if it comes to that.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the same Nick Masset who couldn't get out of his own way last year. The guy you couln't trust in the 7th inning with a 5 run lead? That Nick Masset? As closer?

UPRedsFan
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
I've often wondered why more teams don't take a situational approach to the late innings. Use your best when the other team's middle of the lineup is at the plate. If that's the 8th inning, that's the time to throw your best at em. If the Cards have Beltran, Berkman and Holliday coming up in the 7th of a 1 run game, and our starter's getting tired, I want Marshall in the game. Let Ondrusek, Masset, Arredondo or Lecure close that game. I realize you have to be able to predict well and know when to have them get loose, but it seems to me that's doable in most games instead of having pre-assigned innings for different guys.

UPRedsFan
03-24-2012, 10:12 PM
I also like the idea of converting Arroyo to late innings. Maybe he can find a bit more velocity if he only has to throw an inning. If Chapman keeps it up he needs to be in the rotation right behind Cueto and Latos.

brm7675
03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
The chances Bronson is moved to the pen is 0% so it comes down to Chapmen in the pen which is really sad...

Mutaman
03-24-2012, 10:46 PM
If Chapman keeps it up he needs to be in the rotation right behind Cueto and Latos.

In the last two years, right out of college and despite being shut down both seasons, Mike Leake has won 20 games as a starter. But you're ready to put a guy who has never won a ML game as a starter ahead of him in the rotation. What am i missing?

5ToolPlaya
03-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Ah, Nuts!

bmwreds31
03-25-2012, 01:06 AM
well here we go again. Unfortunately us cincy fans are used to getting our hopes up and then completely shat upon.

Only thing we can do is somehow hope we can over come a devastating blow like this.

UGGHHHH so frustrating. :thumbdown:

bigredmechanism
03-25-2012, 07:33 AM
well here we go again. Unfortunately us cincy fans are used to getting our hopes up and then completely shat upon.

Only thing we can do is somehow hope we can over come a devastating blow like this.

UGGHHHH so frustrating. :thumbdown:

Card's overcame a bigger blow last year. Nothing is lost.

will5979
03-25-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm more upset over wasting 8.5 mil. dollars for nothing. This is only a pitcher that throws 1 inning per game, IMO closers are overrated, someone WILL be able to fill the void, I'm just pissed we wasted 8.5 mil on this wuss.

TheBigLebowski
03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Seriously, only the Reds. It's just unreal.

will5979
03-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Couldn't they have just given him a bunch of cortisone shots all year? Shutting down your 8.5 million dollar closer when this is supposed to be a year to go for it all wasn't in the best interest of the team.

redssince75
03-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Seriously, only the Reds. It's just unreal.

I live in a city where in spring training last year, they lost who might have been the best starter in the majors.

Then they went on to win the World Series.

[deleted]
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I've often wondered why more teams don't take a situational approach to the late innings. Use your best when the other team's middle of the lineup is at the plate. If that's the 8th inning, that's the time to throw your best at em. If the Cards have Beltran, Berkman and Holliday coming up in the 7th of a 1 run game, and our starter's getting tired, I want Marshall in the game. Let Ondrusek, Masset, Arredondo or Lecure close that game. I realize you have to be able to predict well and know when to have them get loose, but it seems to me that's doable in most games instead of having pre-assigned innings for different guys.

This is always the opinion I have had. It doesn't make sense to keep your (theoretically) best reliever for the ninth inning just so he can rack up an arbitrary 'save' stat. Use your best pitcher in the highest leverage situation - if it's the top of the eighth and the middle of the order is coming up while we're ahead by one, use Marshall - don't save him for the ninth just so he can pad his numbers. I wish more managers subscribed to this theory.

texasdave
03-25-2012, 04:43 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120325&content_id=27591350&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Madson feels as if he let the team down.

Mutaman
03-25-2012, 05:27 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120325&content_id=27591350&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

So all he has to do is give back the 8.5 million and everybody will feel a lot better.

Krawhitham
03-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Bullpen by committee just does not work, many have tried few successfully

will5979
03-25-2012, 05:42 PM

As well he should, I'm glad he admits it. I wish the Dr.s would just give him cortisone shots all year instead of TJ surg.

Krawhitham
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
So all he has to do is give back the 8.5 million and everybody will feel a lot better.

That would be stupid for him to do, he hurt himself throwing side sessions during SP. As long as a player gets hurt while doing team duties he should NEVER return any money. That is the wonderful thing about baseball, guaranteed contracts, you know you can give it everything you have at all times. Because if you get hurt the team can not cut you and screw you over.

He may never pitch again at the big league level. Not all TJ surgeries go well. This could very well be his last million dollar contract.

Krawhitham
03-25-2012, 05:51 PM
As well he should, I'm glad he admits it. I wish the Dr.s would just give him cortisone shots all year instead of TJ surg.

He has nothing to fell bad about, he did nothing wrong. Crap happens

If all goes right he will come back throwing harder and maybe he can sign a discount single season deal with the Reds for next season.

He will need a one year deal again to prove he can still be dominate and to get a big contract the following season

I do not blame him, I blame Walt. How do you not get insurance on 10% of the yearly payroll?

DirtyBaker
03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Exactly. He pitched through pain until he tore his ligament. Management is to blame for not insuring a player worth 10% of of the team's salary. I wonder if this is enough to change the team's policy on that?

jhu1321
03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Positive spin: maybe he rehabs successfully and will renegotiate his contract with the Reds for next year. Obviously we're not going to pick up his option and I don't think anyone will pay him big bucks fresh off TJ. Maybe he'll "pay it forward" and be willing to spend the year in Cinci proving he's still a dominant closer. Someone said that in an earlier post but I think it's worth reiterating.

And our bullpen is still really good.

takealeake
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Exactly. He pitched through pain until he tore his ligament. Management is to blame for not insuring a player worth 10% of of the team's salary. I wonder if this is enough to change the team's policy on that?

Yup exactly. It's Castelinni's stupid ass fault for not insuring players, so it should come out of his pocket and he should be working to be a buyer this year without taking account the loss of salary. This guy can afford it, he's not going to go hungry trying to add another piece to replace him.

I'm not going to say 'give it back' or anything, because that's stupid, and we all know how this sport works. You earn your money on the backside of deals after performing early on. Any MLB owner has the money to make up for this if they weren't so damn greedy.